PDA

View Full Version : NEWS: GREAT, BAD, and downright DEPRESSING

doolittleky
04-25-2005, 07:27 PM
I don't know if you all remember my post about Scooter aka the stray. He was the orange and white tabby that I had seen in the field by me where I take my dogs out to potty. The last time I saw him he let me pet him and I saw that he wasn't neutered and wanted to take him and get him neutered but on that day I had to be somewhere and couldn't. I also wondered if he was actually a stray or if he belonged to someone. Well, late Wednesday night driving home from work i saw this orange thing under a parked car in the apartment buildings before you get to my condos. So i turned around and parked where I had seen it and sure enough Scooter(my name for him) came out and meowed at me. I picked him up and put him in the car and drove to my condo and sat in the car wondered what i was going to do now. Scooter was perfectly calm and sat in the seat and looked out the window, got on the top of the seat and purred like he had been doing it forever. It was 12 o'clock and I called my vet to see if they could neuter him and if I could bring him in right then since i couldn't take him in my place since i didn't have anywhere to separate him from my babies. I agonized over this whether I should take him or not. He had to be someone's cat at least at one time but not sure about now. But I decided he needed to be neutered at the least and then i would try and locate his owner. All the way to the vet he was such a good boy, so laid back. he sat with his paws on the armrest and looked out the window, would lay on the top of the seat by my head and then ended up behind the back seat laying there just looking out the back window. The whole way there he sneezed though. When I took him in i noticed he was very dirty so i told them to give him a bath too. So the next day Scooter got a bath, neutered and a rabies shot. The vet only had room to keep him until Saturday and I would have to pick him up then. I never did hear anything from anyone which doesn't surprise me. So Friday night I called the vet and told them to combo test him since I would have to bring him home until his owner was found or i found a home for him. Saturday i went to get him and found out some devastating news to me. He was FIV+. I am so depressed about this. The nurses siad someone probably dumped him when they found this out. Anyway, I had expected to bring him home but now I couldn't and didn't have any place for him. One of my other cats ,Ivy is FIV+< but he lives with a friend. i asked the vet if I could put him with Ivy and she said that wasn't a good idea since a strange cat might cause Ivy stress and brinf out the FIV. So I asked if I could put Scooter temporarily in a cage in another room. She said yes. But when I got him to Ivy's my friend refused to let him stay. Told me if I left him there he would let him loose and to take him back to the vet where he knew they would put him to sleep. That wasn't an option for me but I had run out of them. I was so desparate that I took him to my parents to beg them to keep him in their basement until i could find a place for him. If you know me and my parents you would know how desparate I was to do this. My mom said yes but only a short time. She said my dad didn't want any animals in the house. So right now Scooter is there. I don't know for how long. My ideal situation would be for me to be able to talk them into letting him live there so i could take care of him the way he needs to be. but i know that isn't going to happen. I am hoping to find him a place near here so i could maybe visit him but i don't know about that either. I am so depressed about this. I am so cursed, jinxed and have bad luck.
Melissa

Laura's Babies
04-25-2005, 07:37 PM
awww! I just don't know what to say and have no advice! Just get on the phone and start calling rescue orginazations and see if you can find one that will take him...

catmandu
04-25-2005, 07:40 PM
You did,the best,you could for Little Scooter,a lot more,than his so called Guardiand did.And the fact,that he,is ill,is certainly,not your fault.And we do hope,that you can find a home,for that little Stray.where he will have a Furr Ever Home,and be close enough,for you,to visit.Please hang in,there,and hold your head up high,you are a Good Puurrson!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/catphotos982.jpg

dukedogsmom
04-25-2005, 07:49 PM
Poor Scooter. You've given him more love than he's had in a while so try not to feel bad about him. I don't know why life has to be so sad sometimes. I think people like us find animals for a reason. I've taken a few dogs to animal control because they were running loose in traffic. I know them getting put down is sad but I'd much rather have that than them being hit by a car. I hope someone will take in Scooter.

moosmom
04-25-2005, 10:20 PM
Aw Doolittlekitty,

That really sucks!!! I was always told that FIV+ kitties could live together. As long as this woman gradually introduces them, there should be NO reason why they can't live together in harmony. But, knowing that she has already threatened to put Scooter out, I guess that's not such a good idea either.

How about searching on the web for a home with other FIV+ kitties. I've heard it's been done.

My heart goes out to you and Scooter. I hope you can find the best place for him. He certainly doesn't deserve to die simply because he has a disease that isn't his fault!!

(((((((hugs to you)))))))))

catfamily
04-26-2005, 12:01 AM
Melissa
Denise and Armond are interested in Florida.I sent a picture to them also.They are talking about it and will call you.They have 2 HIV cats.Very healthy looking and take excellent care of them.They are super people.Just built a brand new home there.My mom's friend,but much younger.She is like a family member.Her husband is so nice also.They went to my brother John's wedding,then his funeral 8 years later in Tennessee.They love cats.And keep them indoors.Carla

catcrazylady
04-26-2005, 07:59 AM
OMG!! Carla that sounds like a wonderful home for Scooter! Prayers on the way that this can work out. Carla you are really saving the day today!!! Bless you!

As far as Scooter being FIV+ I'm not sure that would concern me too much. This is just my personal opinion but if he was slowly brought into the fold and you could feel comfortable about no fighting then I wouldn't make it a huge concern. FELV is a whole different ball game but I don't have a big fear of FIV. Cats with FIV that have a good home, good diet, and health care can live perfectly normal and long lives. It's just that they need medical treatment sooner when showing signs of illness because they can't fight it off as easily. I would want to feel secure that their wouldn't be fighting before I did that though. Remember, this is just my opinion about FIV. Lots of others feel differently about it.

Bless your heart for doing everything you have done for Scooter! You are a very special person and I'm sure your rewards will be many. Bless you Melissa. Dont worry, it will all work out somehow.:)

furrykidsmother
04-26-2005, 10:44 AM
Looks like Scooter could have a very happy ending. It is wonderful that so many PT'ers are willing to help! I am so glad I found this site. There are some sad posts, but the good ones and the ones with the happy endings are just wonderful. It is really nice to know that there are so many wonderful people out there. Thanks to everyone for restoring my faith!

momcat
04-26-2005, 01:08 PM
Hi, Melissa! Just read your post about Scooter. This may be a possible option for you. There's a place out here near Princeton, New Jersey that accepts cats- strays,ferrals,those poor little guys that are so cruelly abandoned. Don't remember the name of this shelter, but they DO NOT EUTHANIZE at any time for any reason. Every kitty stays until they're adopted, those who don't find homes stay there. Our local newspaper did an article about the place several months ago and from the pictures with the article, this place has all the amenities any kitty could hope for. I realize Princeton is a bit out of your geography. Perhaps if you can go on-line, you may be able to find a similar place nearby that will accept a special needs kitty plus allow you to visit. My best to Scooter. God bless you for caring so much about this little guy that you've gone above and beyond to ensure his welfare. He's a lucky little guy to have found you! Please give Scooter a nice tummy rub for me and let all of us at PT know how things work out for both of you. Good luck and my very best wishes. Thank you so much for caring!

doolittleky
04-26-2005, 03:24 PM
Moosmom, I think what my vet was saying is that if I tried to just throw Scooter in with Ivy that it would stress Ivy and Scooter out and that would bring out their FIV symptoms. I think if they knew each other or were introduced slowly then it might be ok. Too bad that my friend( and I am using that term loosely) wouldn't give me a chance to do it. Because I have really fallen for Scooter. He is like Ivy( my FIV+ cat), a real sweetheart and a snuggle bunny. I went over to my parents late last night after I got off work and trimmed his nails and just held him in my arms. He was purfectly content to lay there as long as I held him. He even fell asleep purring. I am also worried that he doesn't feel good. The night I picked him up he sneezed the whole way there. And last night he seemed to be a little sinusy as he purred. I need to take him in to get the rest of his shots and get him wormed and start on the shot that ivy gets to keep him in remission. I have to wait until payday though since I had to close my Christmas Club account so i could get him neutered etc.

Carla, tell her to keep calling if she doesn't get me. I am hard to reach.

Although I am still hoping for a miracle that my mom will let Scooter stay with them and maybe even move Ivy over there. I really have fallen for him already.

I will try to write more later. I am busy at work right now.

Thanks everyone for all your well wishes
Melissa

doolittleky
04-26-2005, 09:39 PM
Carla, i tried to call you from work today, no answer. I will try again maybe tomorrow if I have time.
Melissa