PDA

View Full Version : Prayers needed for my sweet Keegan

shais_mom
04-25-2005, 01:00 PM
I took Keegan to the white coats today b/c she has been limping and favoring her right hip. I am fearing hip dysplasia.
I had to leave her there b/c they need to sedate her to xray her.
While she is under they are going to cut her nails also, b/c she freaks when I try.
She has been favoring it for about a month and with exertion it gets worse. For those of you who know how attached she is to her momma she was NOT happy with me going out one door and she going out the other. It broke my heart, I think I almost had a panic attack. Over something so minor.... what if it was something really serious. :( I got halfway to the door and had to go back and ask if I need to pay for anything today they said of course not - got all the way outside and remembered I left my coat and car keys in the room.
Kloe and Kylie aren't too sure what is going on...
I am too call later this afternoon and pick her up in the morning.

Thanks for the pawsitive thoughts.

luvofallhorses
04-25-2005, 01:03 PM
Oh hun I am so sorry :( Prayers on the way (((((((hugs))))))))))

momoffuzzyfaces
04-25-2005, 01:04 PM
Prayers are flying and all fingers and paws crossed here for sweet Keegan!!! (and you too, of course)

robinh
04-25-2005, 01:46 PM
Many prayers on your way. Let us know what they say about your baby.

It is so nice to see someone else who is as bad about leaving their babies at the white coat as I am.

jennifert9
04-25-2005, 02:09 PM
I'm sorry! It is so hard to leave them....I hope Keegan is ok, please keep up updated!

4 Dog Mother
04-25-2005, 03:08 PM
Oh, poor Keegan. And poor Staci - as if you didn't have enough to worry about right now. Hope all goes well with Keegan. You, Keegan, your family are all in our prayers!

wolf_Q
04-25-2005, 03:31 PM
I'm sorry to hear that Staci. :( That must have been so hard to leave her there. I hope we'll find out good news after the x-rays. Prayers for Keegan on the way!

ramanth
04-25-2005, 03:35 PM
Positive thoughts that it's something minor!! Poor Keegan. :(

Sudilar
04-25-2005, 03:37 PM
Prayers for Keegan are on their way. I hope it is nothing serious. Shiloh takes Cosamin DS for her mild HP with arthritis. Hopefully something like that will help dear Keegan. Please let us know as soon as you find out. I also know how hard it is to leave them at the vet.
Hugs.

Lexi_Lover
04-25-2005, 04:09 PM
I'm so sorry! I hope you get some good results back from the x-rays! Get well soon Keegan! Paryers are coming all the way! :D

jazzcat
04-25-2005, 04:32 PM
Prayers and positive thoughts on the way.

lizbud
04-25-2005, 04:49 PM
Oh Keegan baby. I'm so sorry you have been hurting. :(

I will be praying for some good news from the Vets. I do know
how hard it is to be without them, even overnight.

Cinder & Smoke
04-25-2005, 04:56 PM
Hi God ~

Need summa Your Help, God!
Our Buddie Keegan has be *limpin* a bit, an her Mom dropped her off -

Ooooh, You know all about it? ...
Oh, Momma Staci uzez da Purrayer Line, too!

So, You <hopped> da Silver Klouwd an wuz in da hoppsbittle fur da X-a-ray?
Too bad You missed Staci - she kudda uzed a {{{GodsHUGG}}}!

Better ask our GranMom ta help wiffa Purrayer Line Phonez -
gonna be <ringin> offa hook wiff Pet Talkers callin bout Keegan!

It's Munday Nite - so we'll all be Littin Up da Purrayer Kandilz ~
an we'z gonna move Keegan to da Top a da List.

Iffin You gotz a minnit, God ~ Paleeze send a {{{GodsHUGG}}} down fur
Momma Staci - she's purdy wurried. :(

THANKS, God!!

(We'll *yap* at'cha agin at Prayer Tyme tanite.)

/s/ the Prayer Pups

*LabLoverKEB*
04-25-2005, 05:28 PM
Oh Keegan... I hope it's nothing serious, hun! I'm sure it nothing! I will keep Keegan in my prayers!:)

PJ's Mom
04-25-2005, 05:29 PM
Any news on Keegan?

Good wishes and positive thoughts headed your way. I know how awful it is to worry about a furbaby. :(

RobiLee
04-25-2005, 05:30 PM
Ohhh Staci, I'm so sorry to hear this. I wish I could give you a big hug right now. I know how close Keegan is to you and how hard it was for you to leave her there. Lets hope that the xrays show something minor and easy to take care of. You, Keegan and the kitties will be in my thoughts. Let us know as soon as you can.

{{{BIG HUGS}}}........Robin

senorita02
04-25-2005, 05:36 PM
I know the feeling , about 2 years ago i had to take Face my Rott in for the same reason, and it broke my heart to leave him while he went under to be x rayed.

Im sure everything will be alright, even if he does have Hip Dysplasia, i found out Face did, but he is 6 and going strong, once in a while he will take a pain killer if i can see it is bothering him.

We will be praying for Keegan, let us know the result. :(

anna_66
04-25-2005, 06:26 PM
Oh Staci, I'm sorry to hear that you had to leave that poor girl of yours. I know how she is and she must have been so unhappy. At least you'll know if there is anything wrong (hopefully not).
{{{HUGS}}} and good thoughts coming your way.
Love Anna

NoahsMommy
04-25-2005, 06:30 PM
Stac, Keegan, Kylie and Kloe....

I'll be holding you all up in my prayers until the coast is clear. I'll be praying for good news for Keeg.

Hugs and love,
Kelly (and the furkids) :)

GoldenRetrLuver
04-25-2005, 06:33 PM
Poor Keegan. :( Molly has limped before, but it just turned out to be a sprain. Unfortunately, Goldens are prone to hip dysplasia.

Positive thoughts and good wishes being sent your way, Keegan and Staci!

Cincy'sMom
04-25-2005, 08:35 PM
It is so hard to leave them, isn't it?

Poor Keegans. I hope the X-rays showed nothing more then a pulled muscle, and that a little rest will be all that is needed. Prayers for you baby girl, and the whole family.

bckrazy
04-25-2005, 08:50 PM
wow, I really hope Keegan doesn't have dysplasia. . sending good thoughts for her, and you! :( I hope its just a harmless limp. .

LuvGold00
04-25-2005, 09:56 PM
Good thoughts on the way!!!!

shais_mom
04-25-2005, 10:46 PM
I talked with the vet earlier tonite while at my parents and they don't have a computer which is why the late update.
She was doing great after being put under.
They did find very minor Hip Dysplasia - but it was very hard to find she actually had to get the Head Vet's 2nd opinion. Very minor degeneration. Which is a relief. So our plan now is to keep her comfortable. I need to call in the morning to set a time to go get her and discuss the options.
Thank you so much for the thoughts and prayers everyone.

K9karen
04-25-2005, 11:20 PM
Aw, poor little Keegan! But Stace, there are meds these days that can help tremendously, Thank God, not like umpty-ump years ago when nothing could be done. Cody took Cosequin for years and he had a severe case of hip dysplasia. It truly helped. When worse came to worse, he took Rimydal for a short period, then would be fine again. It was hard limiting his activity sometimes, but he seemed to know his limits. I'm praying that our Keegan is otherwise healthy. With your love and devotion and all our prayers too, she'll be OK. I hope she's home, by your side by now and that you smother each other with tons of kisses! {Hugs}

krazyaboutkatz
04-25-2005, 11:20 PM
Staci, Thanks for the update. I'm glad that her problem is a minor one and that you'll be able to help make her feel more comfortable. Lots of prayers are still being sent your way. {{{HUGS}}}

Logan
04-25-2005, 11:30 PM
Staci, you can deal with this one, for sure! And the recent weight loss for Keegan is probably already helping. My Lilly was diagnosed with mild Hip Dysplasia when she was 18 months old. She is now six and we have had no problems in recent years. I got about 10 pounds off of her and have worked to keep it off. She is still an 85 pound dog, and probably needs to be lighter, but at least she is no longer 97 pounds or more.

Hang in there! You guys are going to be just fine! :)

Cinder & Smoke
04-25-2005, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by shais_mom

They did find very minor Hip Dysplasia -
but it was very hard to find -
she actually had to get the Head Vet's 2nd opinion.
Very minor degeneration. ...

So our plan now is to keep her comfortable.

First Shepherd Casey got *gimpy* at times when she was about 5 years old.
:(

Her "old school" Country Vet examined her a couple times and said we
"could" do an X-ray - but he was certain she had rather "solid" hips and
his diagnosis was she had early onset Arthritis ...
His Rx: was plain ole ASPRIN twice a week, an extra pill if she got carried away
playing and seemed "off".
She ran like a puppy till age 13 - with maybe 4 asprin a week as she got older.

His theory was to "save" all the new, "fancy" pain & arthritis meds till
later in her life - so there was something stronger to use IF she ever needed it.

He also cautioned that "doping her up" to the point that she felt no pain
wasn't good - because she wouldn't know to slow down and let her joints
recover on their own, without medication.
He also said *SWIMMING* was Great therapy - Casey really enjoyed
THAT part of the treatment! :)

Be sure to ask if there's a "simple, common fix" to Keegan's limp.

**GLAD** the diagnosis was for a (somewhat) not-so-serious condition.

{{{HUGS}}} to you both! ;)

shais_mom
04-26-2005, 12:01 AM
http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeoNWbNi2atNA

the girls are taking Keegan's place under mom's feet and sleepin beside her
:)

Kater
04-26-2005, 04:38 AM
I'm relieved the Hip Dysplasia is very minor and I hope it can be easily controlled. I know how hard it is to see your baby in pain!!! :( Continued good thoughts for Miss Keegan! :)

shais_mom
04-26-2005, 10:06 AM
I just talked to the vet and am going to go get her around 1pm.
I waited until later in the morning b/c
it was late when I got to bed and I have to work tonite so I needed to rest.
Not sure if I can update before work or not but will let you know what I find out asap!

finn's mom
04-26-2005, 10:07 AM
I'll be thinking about Keegan today, and hoping for the best.

kimlovescats
04-26-2005, 12:38 PM
Staci, I'm relieved to hear that the Dysplasia is only minor at this point. It sounds like it is something that you can work with and that is great!

Hugs and gentle petties for sweet Keegan!

Kim;)

Dixieland Dancer
04-26-2005, 01:06 PM
Staci, I'm sorry I missed this thread earlier. With my limited time on Pet Talk, I seem to miss quite a few "important" threads.

I can imagine Keegan will be one very happy Golden girl around 1 pm today! :D

My very first Golden, Taffey, lived to be 13 1/2 with moderate hip dysplasia. As Pfred stated earlier, the remedy was plain old aspirin. Of course I didn't know about anything else back in those days. The best part of it is, that remedy worked and when she over did it, she needed more rest for a couple of days after. She loved to swim (what Golden doesn't) and I took her too the lake reguarly during the summer to help loosen her joints up.

Don't let her jump but make sure she gets regular exercise. It's important to keep the hip joints limber and low impact exercise is very important. Of course you already know she needs to lose a few more pounds to help out there too. You've done a great job helping her slim down already but keep going. She can stand to lose a few more. Dixie's losing weight now too so maybe Keegan and Dixie can do it together!

{{{{{HUGS}}}}} to both you and Keegan! She is one very special GOLDEN GIRL!!!! :D :D

shais_mom
04-26-2005, 01:27 PM
Well, I just got my happy girl home. She seems a bit tired but otherwise - no harm no foul.

Yes, I know Keegan needs to lose about another 10 pounds or so - that is my first priority..... :(
There is a new kind of food that they are offering actually they were having a mini seminar on it when I got there - the reps were packing up their slide projector etc. Dr. said that it might benefit her but it wouldn't help with her weight.
I told him my first priority is getting about 10 more pounds off her then I would consider switching to the J/D food.
He said there is also supplements etc of course to give her BUT by switching her to the food that would elminate the need for supplements. He gave me a bottle of Rimadyl for as needed basis. Like days before the dog park, etc.
Now before you freak out - I asked him about aspirin and Rimadyl and he said absolutely do not mix them. (good to know)
I told him I had heard that Rimadyl caused liver damage and failure, and he said yes but aspirin causes it quicker. And since it will be as needed she won't be getting it routinely. And failure and damage shows up in dogs that have been on it for a legnth of 4-6 years. And after getting her weight down, if I choose to put her on the J/D food that would elimate the need for Rimadyl also.
He also mentioned there are injections that you can give the dog times a week for a month then once a month following. I don't remember what he called it now but it is similiar to the Synvisc injections in humans. (My dad had them - replaces the fluid in the joints that are bone on bone.) I don't think she is a canidate for them now, but he said that he had given them to dogs that were carried into the office and after a few injections were able to bounce out of the office.
This is doable. I am confident in the treatment.
I am also relieved the the mild diagnosis. I always knew that she could have it b/c of her coming from basically a backyard breeder. (no lectures - she was a gift- given to me after Shaianne died)
they xrayed her all the way down to her feet and said everything else worked and looked great. Last nite before actually talking to, I was thoroughly convinced she either had dysplasia so bad she would need a replacement or had bone cancer, -- occupational hazard. :rolleyes:

Logan
04-26-2005, 01:41 PM
Staci, don't you worry, you won't get any lectures from me, at least!!! :) I think you are certainly on the right track with Keegan and your vet sounds wonderful!!!!! :) You know, I "paid" for Honey and Lilly, both of whom came from backyard breeders! :eek: Would I trade them for anything? NO WAY!!!!! :D

They are the loves of my life and filled a huge void, just as Keegan did for you. I hope your girl will have nothing but happy days ahead for her!!!! :)

Dixieland Dancer
04-26-2005, 01:45 PM
Sounds like you have a plan! Please give Keegan a {{{{{big HUG}}}}} from a Golden fanatic who loves her from a distance! I LOVE THOSE RED GOLDENS!!!! :D :D

Rachel
04-26-2005, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by shais_mom
. Last nite before actually talking to, I was thoroughly convinced she either had dysplasia so bad she would need a replacement or had bone cancer, -- occupational hazard. :rolleyes:

and just being an old fashioned worry wart like me.

It sounds as if you have a good grasp on a treatment plan. Keegan should handle this challenge with a minimum of discomfort. Your Vet seems like he will be a big help in the process. Okay to exhale now.

NoahsMommy
04-26-2005, 03:35 PM
GREAT news, Stac! You vet seems like he really knows the breed, condition and treatment options.

I'm so glad its mild and "easy" to treat.

Don't worry, Keeg! We're all on a diet!! ;)

Hugs,
Kelly :)

Christiansmommy
04-26-2005, 08:02 PM
Sorry to be getting to this so late, but glad to hear that the outcome seems pretty mild. Glad that it is nothing serious, that is for sure!! Keep us posted. As Kelly said, "We are all on diets" LOL!! So true :) Unfortunatley, Keegan, you will feel better once you drop some pounds :)

Robyn

anna_66
04-26-2005, 08:10 PM
Good to hear your little girl is ok:) LOTS of hugs and kisses for her from me:D:D

MariaM
04-26-2005, 08:31 PM
I'm glad to hear that its just minor! 10 pounds to lose....that's my goal too! Let's see who does it faster. ;)

4 Dog Mother
04-27-2005, 07:21 AM
What a relief to know that Keegan is going to be okay! Like so many others said, a diet is something a lot of us need. I have noticed that Snoopy is gaining weight again after his session with the seizures - they seem to make him soooo hungry! I know it must be good to know there are other things you can do to keep Keegan from having to have his hip replaced. What good news!

Albea
04-27-2005, 10:09 AM
Staci, I'm so sorry I only saw your thread right now, but happy to read that sweet Keegan's problem is not as serious as you feared.
The green beans and carrots diet, mixed with dry food, worked very well for Carina; she lost 12 lbs. Also, and you can check this with the vet, I give Carina organic Flaxseed oil to lubricate her joints.
I do hope that with weight loss and all the medications available, Keegan will be without pain for a long time.
Many hugs and belly rubs to her.

Buddy Blaze Lover
04-27-2005, 02:45 PM
Oh, I'm so sorry about Keegan!! I hope he feels better soon!!:(

Bigyummydog
04-27-2005, 04:58 PM
XOXOXO's to KEEGAN...hope you feel better soon :)

BTW: i didn't know about the asprin and rymadyl either...good to know!

K9soul
04-27-2005, 08:11 PM
I'm sorry I'm late in seeing this Staci. Prayers on the way, if a bit belated, for sweet Keegie girl. May she be rolling in the leaves and chasing down tennis balls again soon! Give that girl a kiss from me please :)

wolf_Q
04-27-2005, 11:00 PM
Glad to hear the diagnosis wasn't serious! I hope the medication will help with Keegan. Give her a hug for me! :)

DoggiesAreTheBest
04-28-2005, 05:20 AM
Hugs for Keegan. Hope her new meds will work for her.