PDA

View Full Version : We find out our placement TONIGHT!

sirrahved
04-25-2005, 08:38 AM
Hey everyone! Our vicarage placement (for Jason's schooling) is tonight. This means we will finally know where we will be moving to this summer. Maybe I'll even be near some of you fine folks:)
*thinking positively* I'm sure wherever we end up it will be wonderful, right?

Anyhow, they get all of the guys going out on vicarage in line alphabetically, and have a special blessing on the altar and hand you your vicarage packet (think like a graduation). The only thing is that you aren't allowed to OPEN the darn thing till the ceremony is complete!! Can you believe the torture??

Wherever we end up I just hope we're happy there.

sirrahbed
04-25-2005, 10:12 AM
...and then you come home and call your folks, right????:D :D :D

PawPaw is hoping you get Texas:D

finn's mom
04-25-2005, 10:26 AM
I'm sure you'll be happy, regardless of where you go!

sirrahved
04-25-2005, 10:35 AM
Of course we're planning on calling as soon as we get home! It could be a LATE call though, since the time change *grr*

Texas would be fun because we have two Grandpas there!

Why is this day going by sooooo slowly:rolleyes:

Karen
04-25-2005, 03:20 PM
How very exciting! Good luck, and God be with you in this exciting time!

shutterbug0303
04-25-2005, 03:24 PM
Best of luck! I hope you get to move somewhere fun and exciting! Then you can share tons of great photos with us here! :D Make sure you post here as soon as you can! We'll all be waiting in anticipation

Logan
04-26-2005, 11:38 PM
So what happened??? Inquiring minds want to know!!!!! ;)

sirrahbed
04-27-2005, 07:13 AM
Northwestern Nebraska:D Near Wyoming and Colorado - pretty far from all home!! But, it should be a beautiful area and a big adventure. I bet Devon will have more to say:)

Anyone know interesting or good things about this area??

Karen
04-27-2005, 07:28 AM
Wow - sounds great! I know nothing about the area, but my mental picture of it is lovely ...

Logan
04-27-2005, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by Karen
Wow - sounds great! I know nothing about the area, but my mental picture of it is lovely ...

Mine, too, Karen!!! :)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-27-2005, 09:45 AM
The only thing I know about Northwestern Nebraska is the Platte river goes up that way. The Platte is an incredible river with lots and lots and lots of history. On the way there, Devon, make sure to take the time to stop at the big arch that goes over the highway near Kearney. The Great Platte River Road Archway Museum (http://www.archway.org/) It is an awesome museum that chronicles the flow of traffic from pioneer days all the way up to the modern day interstate. It's done very well and is well worth taking the time to check it out.

We've also stopped at Lake McConaughy. Beautiful resevoir area that is way below it's natural level because of 7 years of drought they've had. The area is rich with history of the pioneers going west. It is an arid area so since you're coming from Indiana, be sure and bring lots and lots of moisterizer along.

We head that way every Thanksgiving to see Terry's family in Denver. This last year we missed Thanksgiving but then had to go in early March for Terry's Dad's funeral. It was a different time of year from what we're used to, and we could not believe the amount of Canadian Geese and Snow Geese!!! The sky was literally black with birds and every pond along the road was literally "no vacancy"! This area (near Kearney) is a major flyway for migrating birds. There are even a ton of Sandhill Cranes that go through the area and we saw a field full of them also.

When you're away from the bigger towns, the area seems rather desolate and deserted, but it is a wonderful part of the country - lots of ranches, lots of history, lots of Indian reservations, but we didn't see any tumbleweed until we hit Colorado (I love seeing tumbleweed scurry across the road :D ).

Also, South Dakota and the Black Hills are not that far away and are a must see. The Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse memorials, lots of historic mining towns, Devils Tower (in Wyoming) and lots and lots more history and interesting sites to see there.

It's a wonderful part of our great country and I would love to be able to spend more time exploring the area.

(whew, what a novel. But hey, you asked!) ;) :D

Jadapit
04-27-2005, 09:49 AM
How exciting! I cant tell you anything about Nebraska but you should visit Colorado if you get the chance. It really is a beautiful state.:D

sirrahbed
04-27-2005, 12:06 PM
Debbie - thanks for the tour suggestions for Devon & Jason. They mentioned taking their time on the trip and sight-seeing.

Things you mentioned..... the Black Hills, Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse memorials, and especially Devils Tower (in Wyoming) are things that I thought of (we lived in Rapid City for three years:D ) and also Denver is soooo gorgeous to drive up some of the winding roads and I am wondering if the Coors Brewery is still there and has public tours.

Any other folks from that area?? I hope Devon looks at this thread again - *I* am pretty excited but I know the idea of moving is hard for her since she has always been in the mid-west and it is hard for her to think of leaving family so far behind.

Do ya'll know what this placement is about?? My son, J is Devon's hubby and he is just is finishing up his 2nd year of graduate school at seminary. This next full year - they are sent on what is called "Vicarage" and is sort of like being a student pastor (Vicar) assigned to a church - then back to seminary for that last year:D

Jadapit
04-27-2005, 12:14 PM
I am wondering if the Coors Brewery is still there and has public tours.

Yes, it's still there. I'm not sure if they still do public tours though.