PDA

View Full Version : Build an easy cathouse for stray cats!

Randi
01-20-2002, 05:00 AM
Building a cat house in your backyard for stray cats

This may be an idea for catlovers who are unable to take a stray cat into their house/flat - itīs certainly a cheap solution and quite easy to do- and best of all THE CATS LOVE IT!

In our backyard, we have had several stray cats, one neutered male is still living there. When we moved in 8 years ago, he was sleeping in an old dirty pram someone had left.

A few of us decided to build houses for them. We got some Polystyrene boxes from the grocery store which had contained vegetables and we taped two together. We cut a hole in one end (along the lenght of the box, to avoid the wind going through), then we covered the box in thick plastic - also taped on with good strong tape and put some old blankets in. We put the "house" behind the shed. The cats immediately moved in and has been there ever since. As you can imagine, it can get pretty cold in Denmark in the winter, but now, they're not freezing their paws and ears off. It will probably be a good idea to choose some plastic which blend in with the background color, some of the other residents may not like cats, but if it looks nice, how can anyone complain - another argument is that they will keep other wildcats out and the rats away.

A small group of us take turns feeding them - about the same time every evening, after the birds have gone to rest, otherwise they will steal the food.

Good luck! :)

wayne0214
01-20-2002, 07:06 AM
Living in a rural area, as I do, I have constructed several wooden houses for them to sleep in at night. Generally made out of old planks from wooden fences and other scrap wood. They are made to keep the cold air out, and mounted on the roof or high up in the work shop with carpeting or blankets inside. I have a few ferals and some that do not like to spend the nights inside, so they sleep in these boxes.

But yours is a good idea Randi, for those who do not have access to scrap wood, electric saws and dills, and dry-wall screws. (the main building materials and tools), especially about the styrofoam, as it is one of the best insulators against cold available.:) And the "price is right".:D

Randi
01-20-2002, 08:41 AM
Thanks for your reply Wayne, it's good to know that other people bother to help the poor cats in the wild.

Yes, that polystyrene stuff really insulates, my husband suggested it. It's of course more important in cold countries.

I think the idea is good, because even an old lady could do it (they're often the ones who care the most, and the polystyrene is not heavy to carry)

One could also put a sort of roof on top, so the rain don't ruin the box - and so the cat can eat his food in the dry. Putting the box on some bricks would also avoid the cold from coming through the bottom.

yorkster
01-20-2002, 09:13 PM
great ideas!!! I am so glad to hear about people doing things to help stray kitties. :)