PDA

View Full Version : Getting cats into carriers

davidpizzica
04-24-2005, 02:50 PM
I had a big problem with Nikki & Daisy today. I was supposed to take them to a rabies clinic today, and they refused to get into their carriers. As the clinic was only two hours long, I never made it. Are there any sure fire ways to get them in their carriers? Itried bringing the carriers upstairs so that they can get used to the carriers, but it didn't work. Any ideas?

RedHedd
04-24-2005, 03:04 PM
Sorry David, no suggestions here! I had to take Mitzi to her annual yesterday and the minute I picked up her carrier, she bolted for under the bed. Good thing I'm a bit bigger and faster than she is and was able to snatch her up and get her into the carrier without too much problem.

Somehow they know that carrier = vet = bad things happening to them. Doesn't matter how you try to disguise the carrier, keep it out so they get used to it (they don't), put catnip or treats in it, I haven't been able to fool my two.

moosmom
04-24-2005, 03:07 PM
Two ways I've done it are as follows:

Put catnip in the carrier on the floor with the door open. They SHOULD wander in. Shut door QUICKLY!!!

Put the carrier on it's back with the door facing up. Grab cat by scruff of neck with one hand, holding her back feet with the other, putting her in feet first.

If this doesn't work, I don't know.

Anyone else got any tricks???

Freckles
04-24-2005, 03:14 PM
What works for me. I keep the carrier in the bedroom.
When she has a vet appt., I watch till she's asleep or in the living room. Then I just pick her up and walk into the bedroom. After a few years :D she doesn't struggle when I guide her swiftly into the carrier.

PayItForward
04-24-2005, 05:07 PM
I wrap struggling cat Sandy in a clean teacloth. Using the cloth I wrap his front paws to his belly and post him into the carrier. Once he is in the case, the teacloth just falls off.

davidpizzica
04-24-2005, 08:56 PM
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I'm probably try all of them. Right now Nikki has made up to me, and Daisy will come around. I guess that they have a sense that tells them the carriers are not too good for them. BTW, I went upstairs and petted Daisy and I think she has calmed down somewhat.

smokey the elder
04-25-2005, 10:59 AM
I use a similar technique to moosmom, but stuff them in headfirst. Where the head goes, everything else has to follow! (Armor is recommened...:p )

QueenScoopalot
04-25-2005, 11:03 AM
I'd use a combination of carrier upright (door open and facing ceiling), scruff & plunk butt first, and doing it in the bathroom. Have the carriers there, doors open, and in the tub. Bring one cat up at a time, kick door shut behind you, and then scruff, plunk & deposit. Then cover it so kitty #1 doesn't alert victim #2. ;)

Shady
04-25-2005, 12:19 PM
I dont let them see the carriers at all before, if I do they are gone like shots. They protest when they see it but that's about it. I have more trouble AT the vet's, I cant get them out, and we (the vet and I usually end up having to take the carrier apart.

I recently was in Buffalo and dropped in to Petco.

This was on for half price, since mine is broken due to dismantling it so many times, I picked one up. It opens at both ends via zippers and the window on the side also opens. It has a handle and a shoulder strap. Only thing is it's a single pet type. Says for pets up to 15lbs., flooring is removeable/washable, there is even a little dish type thing for dry food.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v714/qpdoll/Carrier.jpg

I paid $35.

Just another idea to make life a bit easier.

Abby&Buddy'sMom
04-25-2005, 03:08 PM
lol...you all! I cant get my two to come out of their crate..they love it! http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid160/p1580071a9caff6441f53973b9380f65a/f4df7b0f.jpg I just put it on the table...call out ....kitty,kitty ,kitty.....in they go , no problems ever:D in fact everytime i mop the floors, they know to go in it,or when company comes over for dinner..in they go till after we all have eaten dinner. i open the door up, and they mostly will stay in:confused: :D silly kitties:)

davidpizzica
04-25-2005, 04:37 PM
My problem is that my two associate carriers with going to another place and not coming back. They were both abused kitties and were shuffled from foster home to foster home. They just didn't want to go. BTW, what area of Pittsburgh do you live? I live in the Penn Hills/verona area.

Abby&Buddy'sMom
04-25-2005, 05:48 PM
i am near to cranberry twp. / mars area :)

davidpizzica
04-25-2005, 06:10 PM
On Pet Talk scale we are almost neighbors!

carole
04-25-2005, 06:21 PM
David I do what Donna does, I just put the carrier with the door facing upwards and drop them in, no problems, mind you my kitties are pretty good, they don't even panick when they see the carrier out, just sniff around it as it is my mother's that I borrow and they probably smell her kitty on it, maybe that is the answer lol, just kiddin, good luck with your furbabies.

momcat
04-25-2005, 07:47 PM
Hi, David P. What I do is put Groucho's carrier in a quiet, out of the way corner and leave the door open. He often goes in there to sleep, brings his toys (especially Q-Tips, he loves them but we make sure he only has them when we're around). It has become a familiar get-away that's all his. Getting him into it when necessary is no problem, he just walks right in and closes the door behind him.

Mad Mags Moo
05-08-2005, 04:12 PM
Hi David!
The way we try and get out little furballs into the baskets is by treats!
We also leave the basket out a day or so before we have to take them anywhere and leave the doors or tops off them so they can go in and out!
Squeak hates going in no matter what so we have got a wire basket and has its lid on top so we just pop her in and shut the lid quick!! Bubble is just easy...we just pick her up and she is kind of resigned to the fact that she may as well go in....phew...good girl!!!

Good luck!:)

davidpizzica
05-08-2005, 05:04 PM
Hi, mad mags moo welcome to PT! I was attempting to get them in carriers for their rabies shots. I tried to let them get used to their carriers ahead of time but it backfired on me! Now for the next rabies clinic, a lady from Cat Sense where I volunteer will help me round them up for their shots. I think these two outsmarted me!

JoeyGina
05-15-2005, 07:16 AM
David, I have the exact same problem. I had to bring Gina in the other day, and after an hour and a half of trying to get her in the carrier, I had to cancel the vet and reschedule for the next day.

Turning the carrier over with the door facing up is a good idea. Gina will run and hide under things when I try to put her in, so I blocked off the bottom of my bed and everything else that she could hide under. The first time, she got through anyway :p The next day, I had to get some human help to get her in :D

PJ's Mom
05-18-2005, 10:24 AM
I do the same thing Donna does...turn the carrier up, but i use a towel to cover their back legs. usually works for me. :)

Good luck next time. ;)

Don Juan's mom
05-18-2005, 05:23 PM
If you're shopping for a carrier, you might consider getting one that has a door in the top, as well as the one in the end. It's MUCH easier to stuff kitty in and hold the body and head down while getting the tail inside.

The one disadvantage is that one day when I was taking Don Juan to the vet, he figured out how to work the sliding catches on the top door and got the door open... while we were on the freeway. :eek: I told him that he would have liked being in a car accident even less than paying a visit to Dr. J.

Now, I put a bungee cord around the carrier. :rolleyes:

Just another suggestion: I found that Don Juan makes much less fuss during car trips if I put his carrier on the back seat with a seat belt around it, rather than just putting it on the floor of the car. I think he gets less engine noise and vibration there. :)

Liz