PDA

View Full Version : Your name meaning

wolfsoul
04-24-2005, 01:45 PM
Go here (http://behindthename.com/) and type in your name at the bottom.

For my name it says,

"JORDAN
Usage: English, German, Biblical
Pronounced: JOR-dan [key]
From the name of a river flowing between the countries of Jordan and Israel. The river's name in Hebrew is Yarden, and it is derived from yarad meaning "descend" or "flow down". John the Baptist baptized Jesus Christ in its waters, and it was adopted as a personal name after crusaders brought back water from the river to baptize their children."

flamepony12
04-24-2005, 01:48 PM
DEVON
Usage: English
Pronounced: DEV-un [key]
From the name of the county in England, which got its name from the Dumnonii, a Celtic tribe. This name can also serve as a variant of DEVIN.

finn's mom
04-24-2005, 01:51 PM
KARI (1)
Usage: Norwegian
Norwegian form of KATHERINE

From the Greek name Aikaterine. The etymology is debated: it could derive from the earlier Greek name Hekaterine, which came from hekateros "each of the two"; it could derive from the name of the goddess HECATE; it could be related to Greek aikia "torture"; or it could be from a Coptic name meaning "my consecration of your name". The Romans falsely derived it from Greek katharos "pure" and changed their spelling from Katerina to Katharina to reflect this. The name belonged to a 4th-century saint and martyr from Alexandria who was tortured on the famous Catherine wheel. This name was also borne by two empresses of Russia, including Catherine the Great, and by three of Henry VIII's wives.

cookieluver7
04-24-2005, 01:51 PM
ABIGAIL
Usage: English, German, Biblical
Pronounced: AB-i-gayl [key]
Extra Info: Popularity, Related Names, Namesakes, Comments
Options: Contribute Information, Add to List
From the Hebrew name Avigayil meaning "my father is joy". This was the name of a wife of king David in the Old Testament.

This is as close as it gets to my name. My name isn't Abigail but there isn't just a plain Abby so I guess this counts!

slick
04-24-2005, 01:54 PM
VICTORIA (1)
Usage: English, Spanish, Romanian, Ancient Roman
Pronounced: vik-TOR-ee-a [key]
Feminine form of VICTORIUS. This name was borne by a long-reigning queen of England. A Canadian city bears this name in her honour, as well as an Australian state and several other geographic areas.

Ha! Royalty or no royalty, I still prefer "Slick".;)

luvofallhorses
04-24-2005, 01:57 PM
KRISTA
Usage: German, English
Pronounced: KRIS-ta [key]
Extra Info: Popularity, Related Names, Name Days
Short form of KRISTINA

cali
04-24-2005, 01:58 PM
SHAYNA
Usage: Jewish
Extra Info: Popularity, Related Names
Means "beautiful" in Yiddish.

tikeyas_mom
04-24-2005, 02:41 PM
my name doesnt mean anything...

buckner
04-24-2005, 02:51 PM
SARA
Usage: Arabic, Greek, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Scandinavian
Pronounced: SER-a, SAH-rah (Spanish) [key]
Form of SARAH

So, I looked up Sarah. Because the gender, usage, and pronunciation are the same, here's the meaning I got. :)

SARAH
Means "lady" or "princess" in Hebrew. This was the name of the wife of Abraham in the Old Testament. She became the mother of Isaac at the age of 90. Her name was originally Sarai, but God changed it (see Genesis 17:15).

CamCamPup33
04-24-2005, 03:06 PM
AMBER
Pronounced: AM-bur
Simply means "amber", from the English word that denotes either the fossilized tree resin or the orange-yellow colour. The word ultimately derives from Arabic 'anbar.

moosmom
04-24-2005, 03:18 PM
My name is Donna Ellen. Donna means "Lady" in Italian and is also the feminine name for Donald.

I was named after my Dad's brother, Donald Edward, who died at 19 in WWII.

manda_moo87
04-24-2005, 03:21 PM
AMANDA
Usage: English, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian
Pronounced: a-MAN-da (English), ah-MAHN-dah (Spanish, Italian) [key]
Extra Info: Popularity, Related Names, Name Days, Websites
Created in the 17th century by the playwright Colley Cibber, who based it on Latin amanda meaning "lovable".

Shelteez2
04-24-2005, 04:04 PM
TASHA
Usage: Russian, English
Pronounced: TASH-a [key]
Short form of NATASHA

Samantha Puppy
04-24-2005, 05:42 PM
JAIME (2)
Pronounced: JAY-mee [key]
Variant of JAMIE (2). The name can also be given in reference to the French phrase j'aime meaning "I love".

lizbud
04-24-2005, 05:55 PM
ELIZABETH

Usage: English, Biblical
Pronounced: ee-LIZ-a-beth [key]

From Elisabet, the Greek form of the Hebrew name Elisheba meaning "my God is an oath" or perhaps "my God is abundance". In the New Testament this is the name of the mother of John the Baptist. It was also borne by the 12th-century Saint Elizabeth, a daughter of King Andrew II of Hungary who became a Franciscan nun and lived in poverty. It was also the name of a ruling queen of England and an empress of Russia. Famous modern bearers include the British queen Elizabeth II and actress Elizabeth Taylor.

gkristian
04-24-2005, 06:20 PM
KRISTIAN
Usage: Scandinavian, Finnish
Extra Info: Popularity, Related Names, Namesakes, Name Days

GraciesMommy
04-24-2005, 06:36 PM
PAMELA
Pronounced: PAM-e-la [key]
The name was invented in the 16th century by the poet Sir Philip Sidney for use in his poem 'Arcadia'. He possibly intended it to mean "all sweetness" from Greek pan "all" and meli "honey".

Suki Wingy
04-24-2005, 06:43 PM
Well... My real name is
EVANGELINE
Pronounced: e-VAN-je-leen [key]
Means "good news" from Greek eu "good" and angelma "news, message".
(SO COOL MEANING!!!!!) I already LOVED my name, but now I love it even more! *See pronunciation, noone seems to be able to pronounce it right. :rolleyes: )

But everyone calls me
(I mean really, this is not just a nickname, no one ever calls me Evangeline. I HATE!!!!! It when people find out my real name and want to call me Angie or Vangie, sorry, but I hate those names.)

EVA
Usage: Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, English, German, Dutch, Scandinavian, Russian, Czech
Pronounced: EE-va, (this one<<)AY-vah (Italian), E-vah (Spanish) [key]
Extra Info: Popularity, Related Names, Namesakes, Name Days
Latinate form of EVE (I also hate the name Eve.)

When I breed and show dals, my kennel name will be Longfellow after Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, who wrote the long poem Evangeline, where my mom first saw my name. (I thank him for that) my dad first saw my name on a headstone in a cemetery!:rolleyes:
edit: in 1990, the year I was born, it ranked 820 for female names in the us. Thts good, I like uncomon names!

shutterbug0303
04-24-2005, 09:48 PM
JUDITH
Usage: English, Jewish, French, Biblical
Pronounced: JOO-dith (English), zhoo-DEET (French) [key]

From the Hebrew name Yehudit which meant "woman from Judea". Judea was an ancient region in Israel. In the Old Testament Judith was one of the wives of Esau. This was also the name of the main character of the apocryphal Book of Judith who kills an invading Assyrian commander by beheading him in his sleep. This name may also be used as a feminine form of JUDAH.

~~~~~~~~

lol....I "killed a commander by beheading him in his sleep"!!! Muhahahha! Beware of me!! :rolleyes:

sirrahbed
04-24-2005, 09:54 PM
Very interesting!! Thanks for the link, Jordan:)

DEBBIE - Pet form of DEBORAH

DEBORAH
Usage: English, Jewish, Biblical
Pronounced: DEB-or-a, DEB-ra [key]
Means "bee" in Hebrew. Deborah was the nurse of Rebecca in the Old Testament. Also in the Old Testament, this was the name of a heroine and prophetess who led the Israelites in defeating the Canaanites.

cocker_luva
04-24-2005, 09:59 PM
KARI (1)
Usage: Norwegian
Extra Info: Popularity, Related Names, Name Days
Norwegian form of KATHERINE

i pronounce it care-ree

Tollers-n-Dobes
04-24-2005, 10:06 PM
Mine doesn't come up on the site but it's probavly the same as Devon's.

IRescue452
04-24-2005, 10:12 PM
I didn't use this website but Amanda means "loved" and Lynn means "fountain", so together I'm a love fountain, lol.

Oggyflute
04-24-2005, 10:39 PM
TREVOR
Usage: Welsh, English
Pronounced: TRE-vur [key]
From a surname which was originally from a place name meaning "big village" from Welsh tref "village" and mawr "large".

green_chameleon_girl
04-24-2005, 10:55 PM
HEATHER
Pronounced: HE-dhur [key]
Extra Info: Popularity, Comments
Means simply "heather" from the English word for the variety of small shrubs with pink or white flowers which commonly grow in rocky areas. It is derived from Middle English hather.

:)

Maya & Inka's mommy
04-25-2005, 02:50 AM
I didn't find my name in the Dutch list :confused: , though it is an original Dutch name. Somehow, it appears on the German list, and the explanation is about right, so here we go

My first name is in full LUTGARDE
LUTGARD f German
Variant of LUITGARD

LUITGARD f German
Derived from the Germanic elements liut "people" and gard "enclosure".

My parents always told me that my name meant "gardian of the people"

LKPike
04-25-2005, 08:33 AM
leigh - meadow
kerri - mystery

joanofark
04-25-2005, 10:44 AM
SARAH
Usage: English, French, German, Jewish, Biblical
Pronounced: SER-a [key]

Means "lady" or "princess" in Hebrew. This was the name of the wife of Abraham in the Old Testament. She became the mother of Isaac at the age of 90. Her name was originally Sarai, but God changed it (see Genesis 17:15).

Thats cool!:) I already knew what it meant.:)

k9krazee
04-25-2005, 10:58 AM
ASHLEY

Pronounced: ASH-lee [key]

From a surname which was originally derived from a place name which meant "ash tree clearing" in Old English

Great, I was named after trees...yippee...:rolleyes:
I have a twin brother and my parents I guess thought I was a guy and were going to names us Arthur and Adam well I was a girl so then it bacame Ashley and Adam!