PDA

View Full Version : Coffee Connoisseurs

shais_mom
04-23-2005, 09:28 PM
I am intrigued by these Coffee Presses. I have heard they give the best cup of coffee ever. I am not a big coffee drinker but was wondering if maybe I would enjoy one of these?
Does anyone know anything about these? I admit to being coffee illiterate.

Do you have to grind the beans or can you buy already ground beans?

What is everyone's favorite blend or flavor?
I usually stick with cappucinos.

I didn't know who else to ask and figgered since there is such a diverse group of people on PT that this would be the place to ask!

:cool:

Thanks!

Uabassoon
04-23-2005, 09:54 PM
I make my coffee at home using a french press. The water is able to mix with the grinds much longer than if you brewed using a coffee pot so it is able to pick up more flavors in the coffee. If you go to a coffee shop you can have them grind the beans for you at a french press setting, if you buy ground coffee it's usually ground for a drip machine and it's a much finer grind then you would want for a french press. If the grind is too fine in a press it will make your coffee bitter, so usually you'd want it course.

I really like Latin American coffee beans, they have a very smooth taste and aren't too bold. I hate indonesian coffees as they are too earthy and taste like dirt to me.

Cinder & Smoke
04-23-2005, 10:01 PM
:eek:

You guys go to a LOT more work for a cuppa kawfee than I'm willing to go!
Can't imagine pulling this off while half asleep!

Found this for ya >>>

http://www.coffeegeek.com/guides/presspot (http://www.coffeegeek.com/guides/presspot)

BOIL Water!??
How do ya do THAT?? :confused:

:p

shais_mom
04-24-2005, 01:33 AM
well I am still intrigued by the coffee press but it seems like an awful lot of work for someone who isn't a coffee addict.
:o I saw a press on ebay with a grinder. Could you get your beans ground at the grocery also...... Spoken like someone whose idea of a good cup of coffee is General Mills International Flavors! ;)
Laura, (and I knew you would be helpful! ;))I was looking on the Starbucks site and saw some interesting brews.

Like the House Blend and the Cafe Verona. Are those pretty good?

We have a local coffee shop that seems pretty popular, but no Starbucks. I may have to stop in there more often.

Keep the advice coming!

mruffruff
04-24-2005, 01:57 AM
I like coffee, but that seems like a lot of work to me.

I'll settle for some Carmel Truffle or Chocolate Velvet by Millstone (Everret, WA).

Mary

boscibo
04-24-2005, 06:22 AM
I use a French Press and I would say it is less work than a normal drip maker. I boil water on the stove or use an electric kettle. While the water is boiling I grind my beans - that takes about 10 seconds. Then I dump the ground beans in the press, add the water after the tea kettle whistle goes off, stir, let it stand for 4-5 minutes. Then plunge (slowly) and pour. It really is a good tasting cup of coffee - strong and black, the way I like it. Afterwards I wipe out my grinder and rinse the French Press. I was told to never use soap on the French Press, so I just rinse well.

It makes the perfect amount to fill my 14 ounce cup. If you drink more than one cup it could be a hassle since you need to repeat the process and clean it between cups for each cup of coffee, but 14 ounces of it is plenty for me. Some people feel even with a coarse grind the coffee from a French Press is too gritty, but I always make a little more coffee than I will drink - all the sediment sinks to the bottom and I just toss it when I'm rinsing the French Press.

My drip maker seemed a lot harder to clean, and the coffee did not taste as good as the French Press coffee. I love mine!

Maya & Inka's mommy
04-24-2005, 07:52 AM
No french press for me!!
I buy ground beans, brand Douwe Egberts (do you have those in the States?), and make a nice cup of coffe on my normal perculator! If I am in a hurry, I use my "Philips Senseo", and use coffe pads for that.

Cheers!!http://users.pandora.be/bernardgabriels/images/smilies%2035%20coffee.gif

I found these on Google! First is my coffe-machine, second is my Senseo(the black one)
http://www.kieskeurig.nl/images/product/3563EDFCBBEAED42C1256F3F003A1663.jpg
http://www.kieskeurig.nl/images/product/D1337150B8E1324BC1256F3A00381639.jpg

joycenalex
04-24-2005, 08:03 AM
i'm the designated office coffee snob. ;). i use both the starbucks house blend and cafe verona in the office drip pot. i often buy these coffees. both are medium balanced tastes and are good basic coffees. i think if you have a consistant tastes good to you way of making your coffee, trying a french press would be fun to try, you could do a "coffee tasting" party to find your favorite mix and brew methods. my local coffee house, cup o joe's has many types of coffee and i've experimented with trying many of their blends. for my home coffee, i grind 1/3 cup latin blend, 1/3 cup joe's breakfast blend in 2 batches in a cheaper grinder for 20 seconds, put it in the drip basket and pour 32 ounces of very cold filtered city water thru. this is enough for 2 serious coffee am coffee drinkers. it works out to 2 tablespoons of finely ground coffee to 12 ounces of water. i use a drip pot, cause in the am, until i'm awake my using anything more complicated would be too dangerous to me, the cats and the dog, who has 'tried' my coffee.
in taking a fast look at phreds' posting about www.coffeegeek.com, i've got a lot to learn...hmmm.:p thanks phred!

Cataholic
04-24-2005, 08:54 AM
I think the french press makes a better cup of coffee, but, I hate the multi stepped process. And, if you aren't going to sit down and drink it all that minute, well, it cools to quick in that glass carafe.

I like the stronger bodied coffee- Verona is too weak for me, personally.