PDA

View Full Version : quick question for the groomers-fast!

cali
04-23-2005, 05:26 PM
lol I am going to my friends place in about an hour or so, and I will be giving Shadow a summer hair cut, she is a BC/sheltie and has the coat of a sheltie, she gets very uncomfortable and winds up looking like a ball of hair with feet and a face if she is not kept clipped lol in the winters I come over regularly just to clip her feet and ears, but the summers get quite hot and her coat is black and thick lol is their any specific way I could clip her so she will be comfortable in the summer? I just Clipped Happy but shadows hair is very wavy and all over the place, since her new home has no air condtioning and they dont brush her much I would like her hair to be farly short. should I just thin her hair out a bit? or...

http://www.mypetpages.net/artists/116/0/8aebe113fc27e720277fec20eebe771f.jpg

cali
04-23-2005, 05:56 PM
quick? anyone? lol

cali
04-23-2005, 06:08 PM
ok nvm I am heading out now lol I will take before/after pics and post em, after all she was a pettalk doggy until last year lol I will just make up her cut as a go along unless my mom can think of any tips :p

jenluckenbach
04-23-2005, 06:08 PM
What type of equipment do you have available to you?>

The safest way is with an animal clippers and a #7 or #10 blade.

I would not try to scissor it all over, that is for sure.

cali
04-23-2005, 06:11 PM
all I have is sissors, my clippers died a while ago, I am pretty handy with sissors , I can do almost anything with em, I clip dogs all the time so I am not new to this lol should I mostly just thin her hair out then?

cali
04-23-2005, 06:14 PM
lol fraid I have to head out right now, will post piccies when I get back :)

jenluckenbach
04-23-2005, 06:15 PM
You could thin it out, but to REALLY make a difference in keeping her cool, it should be taken SHORT! (like, smooth......1/4 of an inch)
A VERY good brushing to get ALL the dead hair out would be helpful too, but not as much as taking the coat off. (just like you would not wear a heavy coat in the summer)

cali
04-23-2005, 10:40 PM
i mostly just thinned her hair out a lot, and i clipped her pans relitivly short and triped her feet and ears , the thinning made her coat straighter , I took out quite a bit, it actully looks good on her lol my frineds mom came home early and was like "what are you doing to my dog!" lol I told her I was thinning out her hair for summer when she saw her all finnished she really liked it lol but a LOT of hair came out from thinning, her hair was thicker then I thought lol so thats probalby why she was like "what the heck are you doing!" lol pictures will be up soon, in anther thread cuz I have pics of her Dakota and Happy too lol