PDA

View Full Version : Update on neighbor's dog :(

catnapper
04-23-2005, 05:11 PM
I just spoke to my neighbor. She took Little to the vet last night. The prognosis is not good - hes dying of AIDS. She wanted to have him PTS last night because she knew he was dying and didn't want him to suffer, but the vet urged her to try steroids, saying that sometimes they bounce back. She says today he is far worse than before. She now has to carry him to go outside, and feed him with a syring, which he throws up as soon as it goes down. She's devastated. I'm going over to se him now.

Please send prayers for Little - to either get healhty and bounce back, or to have a peaceful trip to the RB.:(

CagneyDog
04-23-2005, 05:16 PM
How awful :( I will keep the poor guy in my prayers.

catnapper
04-23-2005, 05:30 PM
I just saw him... my heart is broken :( He couldn't stand to pee. She held him like a baby and instead of the wiggling giggling ball of energy he used to be, he just laid limply. She was talking to me and said that he looked better outside than inside because at least he was holding his head up. Inside he wasn't. She said "I wish I could take him for a walk." With that his ears perked just a wee bit, and his eyes turned to look at her. You could tell he wanted a walk. God, I nearly bust out in tears right then and there.

His gums and the inside of his ears are pure white. His eyes are so dull and dark. You can see every breath he takes, and actually every beat of his heart. She told him "its ok for you to go." :( She doesn't want to have to wait for him to go. She knows its his time. I am so heartbroken. He was the sweetest dog.

lizbud
04-23-2005, 05:59 PM
That poor sick puppy.:( I very much doubt it's AIDS. I've never
heard of a dog having that. I'm so sorry he's suffering.:(

Glacier
04-23-2005, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by lizbud
That poor sick puppy.:( I very much doubt it's AIDS. I've never
heard of a dog having that. I'm so sorry he's suffering.:(

He likely has Ehrlichia. It's sometimes called Canine AIDS.
http://www.doctordog.com/Drdognewsletter/ehrlichia.html

I'm sorry the news wasn't better.

LorraineO
04-23-2005, 06:13 PM
My goodness,, it sounds like its time for her to let him go despite the vets advice...... he obviously is suffering terribly.. poor babyboy,,,,, I hope he finds his peace soon

lizbud
04-23-2005, 06:14 PM
Glacier,

Do you think this could strike a puppy this young?

"Ehrlichia attacks the dog's immune system for years before it presents itself in the chronic stage when the onset of symptoms is very sudden and severe. If diagnosed, the dog can be treated with antibiotics and fully recover."

PJ's Mom
04-23-2005, 06:32 PM
How sad. :( :(

chocolatepuppy
04-23-2005, 07:17 PM
I'm so sorry for Little and for your neighbor. :(

Glacier
04-23-2005, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by lizbud
Glacier,

Do you think this could strike a puppy this young?

"Ehrlichia attacks the dog's immune system for years before it presents itself in the chronic stage when the onset of symptoms is very sudden and severe. If diagnosed, the dog can be treated with antibiotics and fully recover."

I really don't know. It's not a disease that occurs here--we don't have any ticks, so I don't know much about it. It's just the only thing I've ever heard referred to as canine aids.

catnapper
04-23-2005, 08:01 PM
I think this is what my neighbor's dog has -- she heard Auto Immune Disease and relyed it as AIDS. It sounds exactly like what she described - complete to treatment with steroids and it being hereditary.

http://www.canismajor.com/dog/autoimmn.html

Glacier
04-23-2005, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by catnapper
I think this is what my neighbor's dog has -- she heard Auto Immune Disease and relyed it as AIDS. It sounds exactly like what she described - complete to treatment with steroids and it being hereditary.

http://www.canismajor.com/dog/autoimmn.html

Ah, that makes more sense. I suppose it doesn't matter really what he has. Your neighbor is still loosing her furkid and that sucks no matter what takes them!:(

flamepony12
04-23-2005, 08:08 PM
(((HUGS))) and prayers on the way for Little and his family :(

lizbud
04-23-2005, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Glacier
Ah, that makes more sense. I suppose it doesn't matter really what he has. Your neighbor is still loosing her furkid and that sucks no matter what takes them!:(

So very sad and true.:( The reason I questioned this is
because there is so much misinformation about HIV/AIDS already
I didn't want some of the younger PTers thinking that their dogs,
cats or other pets could somehow catch this from people.

Please tell you neighbor that we are saddened to hear of the
bad news. I hope he doesn't suffer long. Poor little one. :(

LuvGold00
04-23-2005, 10:02 PM
Poor Little Pup! I'll be thinking of him.....

Oggyflute
04-23-2005, 10:03 PM
Sending best thoughts and wishes.

rizzy
04-23-2005, 10:23 PM
Poor poor baby!:( I'll keep Little and his owner in my prayers. {{{hugs}}}

NoahsMommy
04-23-2005, 11:29 PM
How sad! :( :( :(

Prayers being sent to Little and his family. :(

catnapper
04-24-2005, 05:16 PM
Asincere thanks to everyone. Little went to the RB early this morning. RIP LIttle, you are healthy and happy once again.

CagneyDog
04-24-2005, 05:17 PM
RIP sweet Little :(

finn's mom
04-24-2005, 05:30 PM
:(

lizbud
04-24-2005, 05:35 PM
I am so sorry.:( God picks the flowers for his heavenly garden.

Rest In Peace Little.:(