PDA

View Full Version : How do you use your cell phone?

PJ's Mom
04-23-2005, 02:31 PM
On my plan, I pay for 1000 anytime minutes and 1000 text messages.

Well, at the end of every month, I've gone at least 100 messages over my limit, and I have close to 700 phone minutes left. :eek:

So do you text more, or talk more? :) I definitely text a lot more. ;)

chrissycat21
04-23-2005, 02:33 PM
I talk more. I don't even know how to use the text messaging on my phone yet! My phone is basicly for if I need to contact my parents when I'm not home or if they need to contact me, so I don't use it very much.

cali
04-23-2005, 02:40 PM
talk lol I hate using text messaging

catnapper
04-23-2005, 02:43 PM
The only person I text is hubby - and only because I can't call him in the middle of class, but I can text him to let him know I need to talk to him, then he calls me back when he has a break. I might text him once or twice a week.

They were showing on the news the other day how text messaging has become so popular with kids that they are developing repetive stressinjuries on their thumbs - lol. Just pick up the phone and talk if you're going to do that much messaging! :D

Glacier
04-23-2005, 02:47 PM
The last time I owned one was before text messaging exsisted! Cell phones don't work very well up here. The range is extremely limited. So I don't even own anymore!

RICHARD
04-23-2005, 02:51 PM
LOLOLOLOL,

You would have had to have heard this....

'----5445 2209 8765'

Now, here's the set up.....

Crouching, in the hallway of a hospital, a woman has a credit card in her hand- she is yelling the numbers off her card into the cell phone cradled in her ear.

If I was sitting in the waiting room behind her, had a pen and a piece of paper in my hand I would have copied down the info and
handed her the piece of paper to show her what an idiot she is.

Rule 701. No matter how loud you yell into a cell phone you won't be heard ANY LOUDER on the other end.

Rule 306. It's not electronic eavesdropping that makes it easy for the 'government' to know what you are doing! It's the guy with the pen and paper, standing next to you, that knows.

:confused:

manda_moo87
04-23-2005, 02:52 PM
I don't have a cell phone. :p

Suki Wingy
04-23-2005, 02:57 PM
as I am afraid of the phone and much prefer email and websites, I only use my phone when I have to (calling my parents to pick me up from where ever I am) and I have never in my life texed anyone.:p
My stepmom and dad don't have home phones, they used to go back and forth between two phones in Lincoln, NE and Ames, IA, and so they decided to just use cell phones so they could allways be reached and found out that it worked much better that way, so now even though they don't go back and forth anymore, they still only have cell phones. Thet's why I have mine, it's a family plan.:)

Freckles
04-23-2005, 02:58 PM
My option isn't covered in the poll. Several years ago in a safety presentation by a county sheriff, and in the clunky analog days, it was recommended everyone have a cell phone for emergencies.

And that's how I use mine. I upgraded to a very small digital. I pay about $12 monthly plus 34cents a minutes. Most months I only pay the 12 bucks. But it's worth it.

Fox-Gal
04-23-2005, 03:20 PM
I texted once and then thought, I could get this done a lot faster if I called, so I did. lol So I'm a talker, and some e-mailing with it.

But to be honest, mine is more of a watch for me then anything else. LOL I use it more to tell time then anything. I'm really not a big cell user, it only for important calls. I always hate going to a store/restaurant and hearing other people's conversations, so I try not do that. What ever I has to say can wait till I get home.

cali
04-23-2005, 04:19 PM
it was recommended everyone have a cell phone for emergencies.

oh I agree lol a few years ago my cousin was in a car accident, she was the only one still consious and was able to use her cell to call an ambulance, nobody else was around at the time.

Maya & Inka's mommy
04-23-2005, 04:24 PM
Text calls about 90%!
I'd better explain a bit ;) . I didn't have a cell phone untill last Christmas. I never needed one before, and in fact I still never do. But our daughter's school is a bit difficult to reach from where we live. So it's either me or my husband who brings her; in the evening it is more difficult. Sometimes she can drive back home with another girl; but that sometimes changes without notice. As it is difficult to send phone home during the day, we thought it would be easier if she would be able to just send a message to me (she did already have a cell phone) . So, that's why I use it for mostly! Of course, since my family knows my number, the often send me messages too now ;)

So another advantage is that I can send her messages too now (like: how was your math's test :rolleyes: :D )

Karen
04-23-2005, 04:51 PM
I have it for emergencies, or last-minute change-of-plan events. I use it maybe once a month at the most, it's not even turned on the rest of the time.

IRescue452
04-23-2005, 05:04 PM
Cell phone? Nope, I barely use my regular phone.

Desert Arabian
04-23-2005, 05:06 PM
I don't have a cell phone! :(

CamCamPup33
04-23-2005, 05:17 PM
My cell phone is basically used for just calling. I *DID* have text messaging, but i went over my limit by ALOT and was forced to give it up. Most of the time i call my friends, or my friends call me. I have it with me ALL the time, and i really couldn't imagine myself without it. :o

buckner
04-23-2005, 05:18 PM
I don't have vision on my phone anymore, so it charges me 10 cents for every text message I send OR receive. I used to text a lot when I had two free months of vision, but I quickly stopped. It was mostly to send texts during school to one of two friends that I don't get to see very often.

I talk on my phone MUCH more than I text. I never text. I'm not too thrilled with paying for text messages, so I don't. My family of 4 has to split 300 minutes during the day, which is from 7am to 7pm, during the week. So, that's 75 minutes for me. However, we get the bill back, and I've used maybe 1 minute of peak time. We get free PCS to PCS phone calls and a lot of my friends have PCS phones and my family, of course, do. Anytime past 7pm during the week and all the time on the weekends is unlimited. I talked probably 2000 minutes, possibly more!, on my unlimited time. I talk to my boyfriend for an hour, at least, almost every night because he lives in PA and I don't get to see him. And then I have the few odd phone calls that only last a few minutes. Oh, and we don't have roaming charges. If we had to pay for roaming, we'd be WAY in the hole because Sprint often loses signal from their own towers.

Cincy'sMom
04-23-2005, 05:24 PM
Until I changed jobs a year ago, I had a $10 a month plan, that included 50 minutes and only used the phone in emergenies. At my new job we aren't really supposed to get personal calls on the office phones, but cell phones seem to be okay :confused: I now have 300 minutes a month, but don't pay the extra $5 for text, so if I'm on mine, it is talking...and I use maybe a 1/3 of my allotted minutes

Laura's Babies
04-23-2005, 05:37 PM
I have had one for the last 6 years and I got mine mainly because of how I work and being so unreachable. When I first went to work on the river all they had out there was watercom and that was very expensive.. SUPER expensive.. A 10 minute call was about $50...:( Cell phones have just about put them out of business now but I need one to check in at home when we are in a area where we have recpetion., to let Rie know how, when and where I am coming home and they are so handy because you can stay in touch with the boat when you are on your way to catch it.. I am suppose to have text messaging, voice mail and all that extra stuff but I had them shut off everything but the phone part. I am not interested in text messages and voice mail, as voice mail was a problem, picking up before my phone ever actually rang and I would have it in my hand and have a missed call appear on it.. Grrrrr! They are a handy "tool" but not something I use as a chat line. To me it is a TOOl and tool only!

PJ's Mom
04-23-2005, 06:20 PM
I'm surprised to see how many people don't have a cell phone. They seem to be everywhere you look these days so I guess you just assume everyone has one. :)

jenfer
04-23-2005, 10:35 PM
I think I use it more on texting than talking. I am not much of a talker. :p

GoldenRetrLuver
04-23-2005, 10:42 PM
I have a cell phone but it's mainly for emergency use. I really don't like talking on the phone (you can ask the ones that have talked to me here ;)). I don't text very often, either, but I do it every once in a while.

Oggyflute
04-23-2005, 10:50 PM
I have one because of work. I'm on call 24/7, so it's imperative that I have one. Fortunately work pays for it. If I didn't need one, I definately wouldn't have one.

PJ's Mom
04-24-2005, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by GoldenRetrLuver
I have a cell phone but it's mainly for emergency use. I really don't like talking on the phone (you can ask the ones that have talked to me here ;)).

I don't either. I'd much rather text. ;)

mruffruff
04-24-2005, 02:18 AM
I don't have one and probably never will. I'm in an office all day where I can be reached if needed and the rest of the time I'm at hom with 1980's style portable phone. If I'm not at either place..........it'll wait!

I only have three relatives I want to hear from; My sister, (who works at the same company) and my daughter, (who I'm barely speaking to anyway) and my 9 year old granddaughter.

They're great for emergencies but they've become a toy that has invaded our lives. There are a lot of places that they shouldn't be used, but some people must have that instant gratification of blabbing every detail that they think. Unfortunately, we all have to listen in grocery stores, restaurants, on the street, in the mall, at the office, in the threatre, etc. And you CAN'T DRIVE & TALK aqt the same time SAFELY.

Sorry for the rant!

Mary

gkristian
04-24-2005, 02:36 AM
i use to text more. the only time i really talk on is when i have to ring home to get picked up from somewhere

petslover
04-24-2005, 09:20 AM
I didn't like text messaging too much. It took to long lol.. so I took it off my plan, and just talk on the phone now!

sirrahbed
04-24-2005, 10:50 AM
We got our first cell phone about 4-5 years ago because daughter Missy was still home (and then college) and we wanted her to have it for emergencies. We have never gone with any plan - ours is used with prepaid minutes that get used up at 25cents a minutes. We top it off with new minutes every 60 days for $20. Hubby and I now use it to chat - like if he is late or I want to reach him when he is out. Text messages are also 25cents and I use them when he is in school to leave notes (he teaches school)-but mainly it is a tool to use for voice calls that are urgent. Our calls are usually only a couple minutes. $10 a month is great for us to be able to call from the car:D

Cataholic
04-24-2005, 11:04 AM
I talk...I rarely text. 1) I don't like paying the extra charge for it; 2) I can talk faster than I can text.

I don't understand why people object to people using cell phones in public. How/why is it any different than someone standing next to someone carrying on a conversation? I have been in restaurants before where I can hear every word the person sitting next to me is saying. I have walked behind people, in front of people on the sidewalk, and can hear everything they are saying. I have been in stores where I hear everything the couple next to me is saying. I surely wouldn't ask them to hush. And, if the person is one the cell..well, I only have to hear 50% noise!

I have often wondered, and I think I have asked this before.

RedHedd
04-24-2005, 11:05 AM
I bought the least expensive plan I could find ($19 for 60 minutes a month) and my cell phone is mainly for emergencies. Text messages cost me $.10 per message so I don't use them too often, although I do like them. No voicemail on my limited plan - the phone is for emergencies only. If they really want to talk to me, they can call me at home and leave a voicemail message there. I will get back to them.

I, too, get annoyed at people who have to talk about everything everywhere, at full volume or louder - in the store, restaurants, walking down the street, driving, but my biggest pet peeve is in elevators or in bathrooms! Geez! Is nothing sacred?

At my office, we are not allowed to use our cell phones; they are to be turned off or on silent.

sirrahbed
04-24-2005, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Cataholic

I don't understand why people object to people using cell phones in public.

I don't mind it in public. When we to Tokyo - we had to giggle at the sheer number of people with cellphones and handheld video games. ( I wondered HOW they could walk and play at the same time):D :D I also had to quickly learn that many were not walking and talking to themselves - they had the "hands free" cellphones and plugs and small headsets.

What I do get freaked about is talking on a cell phone while driving. We have now had THREE very near collisions where the other driver did something stupid while holding a cellphone to their ears!!:mad:

The other day - we counted drivers who were on their phones and it was 1 out of 3:eek:

RedHedd
04-24-2005, 03:34 PM
I don't understand why people object to people using cell phones in public. How/why is it any different than someone standing next to someone carrying on a conversation? I have often wondered, and I think I have asked this before. It's because the people talking on the cell phones usually don't realize that they are talking louder than one would normally speak to another person right next to them. Overhearing a two sided conversasion is very different from having to listen to someone yell into a cell phone so we hear one side of their personal businses in very close proximity or in public is NOT fun. Harrumph! :p

Fox-Gal
04-24-2005, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by RedHedd
It's because the people talking on the cell phones usually don't realize that they are talking louder than one would normally speak to another person right next to them. Overhearing a two sided conversasion is very different from having to listen to someone yell into a cell phone so we hear one side of their personal businses in very close proximity or in public is NOT fun. Harrumph! :p

That's my complaint with it.

Your sitting in a restaurant trying to have a normal conversation with those with you, only to have someone at the other table, shouting into there cell phone. I don't know maybe they somehow thing that can shout over their bad connection. :confused: But I concern it bad manners not to realize that there are others around you and that their shouting into a phone, might just disturb them. If you can talk on a cell phone normal, without shouting, fine. If not I believe that you should take it outside, out of respect for other.

My other thing with cell phones in public, is when your in line at a store and the person in front of you, talking away, not even aware that the cashier and people behind you are waiting, for you to get done talking.

That just happened to me the other night. A man talking away on his cell, while the cashier was waiting to tell him his total, trying to get his attention, nicely. He just keep on talking as we all waited for him. How hard is it to say to the person on the other end, "hold on a min." And really, I didn't need to know that his wife just got arrested. Some conversation, should stay behind walls.

mruffruff
04-24-2005, 08:42 PM
I was in a fast food restaurant when a girl walked in and suddenly said, very loudly "Did you take $20.00 out of my purse?"

Since there wasn't anyone else in the place, I felt like I was being accused --until I realized she had a tiny phone under her long hair.

I just don't like hearing private conversations in public.
TMI

(Especially when I can't eavesdrop on both sides:eek: )

Mary

cocker_luva
04-24-2005, 10:00 PM
same same

shutterbug0303
04-24-2005, 10:10 PM
I pretty much only talk. Text is like 25 cents each, so instead, I "beep"

I have Nextel.......

cloverfdx
04-25-2005, 07:24 AM
I am a Texting person, i dont like talking on the phone.

ramanth
04-25-2005, 10:34 AM
I buy a cell phone for just that....to use as a phone. I don't want a phone that has web access, texting, cameras, does dishes, etc.

:rolleyes:

RedHedd
04-26-2005, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by ramanth
I buy a cell phone for just that....to use as a phone. I don't want a phone that has web access, texting, cameras, does dishes, etc.

:rolleyes:

Now wait .... one that does dishes? THAT I would want, but it should also polish the silver, iron, take out the garbage, clean the litter boxes and wash the windows too! :p

carole
04-26-2005, 09:25 PM
I rarely use my cell phone, only to ring my hubby to pick me up from shopping in the weekends and that is about it, however my children, especially my daughter are cell phone crazy as are all her friends, they play games, take pics, and have a deal 500 text messages for Ten dollars a month, so they are always texting each other, even though they can just pick up our phone and do it for free.. they prefer the text option.

My sister is addicted to texting that I am sure of, me I cannot be bothered, besides I don't carry my reading glasses with me everywhere and I cannot see the numbers well enough.

I am glad to own one, but it is really only for emergencys and for the occasional call that I use mine, I prefer to be on pre-paid and pay as I use.

Logan
04-26-2005, 09:51 PM
I use my cell phone for work, mainly, because I am out of my office so much (sales job). I can forward my office phone to my cell and not miss calls the way I would otherwise. It is convenient, though, and has made long distance calling from our home phone unnecessary. Scott, Helen and I all have cell phones with free long distance.

Just recently, I had to get a new phone because my poor Nokia phone was just worn out. I loved that phone! :( I went to Suncom, where I have been a customer since they opened their doors and started negotiating on a new phone. Well, they told me what they would provide at a minimal cost and I "bit". This phone is "cool" according to my husband and daughter, but I absolutely hate it! Ha Ha! It is too small and all I want to do is use it to talk. The darn thing has a full keyboard on it if you open it up. That would be great for your text gurus, but for someone like me, who never does text messages, it is a waste! LOL!!!! Yesterday, my stepson, Andrew, informed me that not only does it have a camera (I knew that), it also can take videos! I kid you not!!!!!! I still miss my old, antique Nokia phone. :o

Suki Wingy
04-26-2005, 11:06 PM
I don't understand why people object to people using cell phones in public. How/why is it any different than someone standing next to someone carrying on a conversation? I have been in restaurants before where I can hear every word the person sitting next to me is saying. I have walked behind people, in front of people on the sidewalk, and can hear everything they are saying. I have been in stores where I hear everything the couple next to me is saying. I surely wouldn't ask them to hush. And, if the person is one the cell..well, I only have to hear 50% noise!
EXACTLY My thinking!

Logan
04-26-2005, 11:18 PM
I must disagree, Johanna. There is something about the volume of people's voices when they are on the phone. I don't object to public places like sidewalks, parks, etc. But I do take issue with them in restaurants, mostly, and church, for goodness sake! I swear, every Sunday, someone's phone will ring in the middle of the church service! No joke! And I have to tell you that I hope that they will never be allowed on airplanes. I think the ring annoys me as much as the long winded, loud conversations! :o