PDA

View Full Version : How to interest a non playfull dog

merlinmom
04-23-2005, 01:48 AM
I have a GSP that we adopted from the shelter I volunteer at last November. Her age is undetermined but thought to be between 5 and 8 years old. She doesn't seem to be interested in any playing other than wrestling. She couldn't give a second thought to a ball or soft toy, or frisbees or anything. Any ideas? She will wrestle until she is tired and then go and pass out on her loveseat, but I wold like her to get involved in an activity that the kids can do with her. She has several balls, and stuffies and she just looks at them like " Ok Mommy, thanks but what am I supposed to do with this thing? It doesn't taste like food so what good is it?" The only time she has even done the tug of war thing was when she decided one day that a pair of my husbands underwear were going to be her very own, and never again since.

luvofallhorses
04-23-2005, 10:46 AM
I have no advice but I just want to welcome you Cheri(it's Krista)

bckrazy
05-02-2005, 12:17 PM
Try buying a Kong, and filling it with peanut butter. . show it to her and let her lick it for a while, then throw it. . she will probably chase it around, but she might not bring it back :)

Have you tried swimming with her? Or playing tag? You could also hide treats for her around the house or the yard, and let her find them.

$dog$
05-02-2005, 06:08 PM
my dog does not like to play:(

but shes very cute:rolleyes: i wish she would give the ball when i throw it :D

:rolleyes: i lov her:D :p

JazzyBetta
05-08-2005, 06:54 AM
(i'm a bit late...but anyway...) What I do to interest my un-playful dog is I involve food in it. YOur dog sounds very food-loving (like my dog). Just let her believe that every time she plays, she gets food, and soon she'll learn that playing is fun. :p ((sorry it was so long))

Buddy Blaze Lover
05-08-2005, 02:10 PM
Well, our last border collie, Bandit, did not like playing fetch or wrestle at all; our current border collie is absolutely OBSESSED with balls, toys, frisbees, and wrestling!!!!!! So I think it just depends on the dog, and you can't force your dog to do things she/he doesn't want to.:) You can try gently, but don't force. Maybe a treat-filled ball will get his attention!:)

HollywoodNVegas
06-01-2005, 12:31 PM
I agree. Try the Kong approach. Depending on when you adopted her, she may just not be comfortable playing yet. My parents adopted a dog a few years ago who would not touch a toy for the life of her. Then, one day, she brought the ball to my dad and dropped it at his feet. He threw it, she retrieved it. She has been a playful nut ever sense! She was between 4 & 5 when they got her.

You may also want to try placing fun objects or treats on the toy. Once she realizes how good it looks, she may want to try it too!