PDA

View Full Version : I Need To Rehome Cirrus

krazyaboutkatz
04-23-2005, 12:30 AM
Hi everyone:(. Things aren't going very well in my household right now. Storm and Cirrus have never really gotten along but lately it's been much worse.:( I always told myself that if the stress affected one of my cats health or if there was bloodshed that I'd have to rehome Cirrus. Well the stress is now affecting Storm's health. This has been a very difficult decision for me to make but I've just been kidding myself. Things are getting much worse instead of better. I can't live in such a stressful household and I don't expect my furkids to either.:(

I hope that you won't think that I'm a bad meowmie and won't get upset or mad at me for wanting to rehome Cirrus. I contacted the rescue group where I adopted Cirrus and the lady wants me to foster him for a while and she'll put his pictures and profile up on their website. I can do this for a little while but I'm not sure for how long. I know that kitten season is just around the corner and he'll probably be overlooked. Is there anyone out there that would be able to adopt Cirrus or foster him?

I think he needs to be an only cat or only with one other cat that is very easy going, not jealous, and not bossy. Cirrus wants to be the alpha cat and be the center of attention. He's shy at first until he gains your trust but loves pets, scritches, and being brushed. He's not a lap cat and won't let you pick him up but that could change with time or with the right person. He's semi-feral.

He had PU surgery because he had severe struvite crystals so he needs to be on a presription diet for the rest of his life. He's currently on Royal Canin S/O diet and eats both the dry and wet mixed together. He's 2 years old and will be 3 on June 20, 2005. He also loves to play. It would be great if another pet talker would be able to adopt him. I just feel terrible about having to rehome him but I have no choice. I don't want to drug Storm and I'd never be able to give Cirrus a pill any way. Thanks for reading this. Please pm me if you can help me or are interested in adopting him.

NoahsMommy
04-23-2005, 12:39 AM
(((((Tracey))))))

You poor thing. I know this is making you sick having to do this. You love your furkids like I love mine...like royal angels.

I'm so sorry Cirrus isn't working out. Some cats are just like that.

I'll be praying the right spot comes along for him.

Please don't feel bad, honey. You've tried everything and have spent so much time, love and money on him. He's had a lucky life with you and he'll find his forever home when it comes.

Take care. If there's anything I can do, please let me know.

Hugs and love,
Kelly :)

Killearn Kitties
04-23-2005, 04:51 AM
I'm so sorry, Tracey. I hope Cirrus finds a great place quickly.

jenluckenbach
04-23-2005, 05:03 AM
My reaction to the title was...

"NNNOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo" (with a sad tone of voice) :(

The decision to rehome is probably the HEARDEST thing any one ever has to do (even harder than euthanizing for illness). I cannot express how sorry I am for you.

I'd foster that boy in a heartbeat if you weren't thousands of miles away. :(

{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}

MULTICATMOM
04-23-2005, 06:14 AM
I RECENTLY HAD TO MAKE A REALLY HARD CHOICE TO REHOME FUZZY!!:( BUT I WAS VERY LUCKY THAT KIM(KLC) LIVES CLOSE & WAS ABLE TO TAKE HER:D :D NOW I GET TO SEE HER HERE ON PT!!
IT WAS BASICALLY THE SAME--'PERSONALITY CONFLICT' I'M HAPPY TO REPORT THAT ALL IS MUCH BETTER!!:D

I SOOO EMPATHIZE WITH YOUR PLIGHT:( :( I KNOW WE HAVE MANY PT'ERS OUT WEST!! PLENTY OF PRAYERS & POSITIVE THOUGHTS HEADED Y'ALLS WAY FROM THE SOUTH!! BEST OF LUCK TO YOU & CIRRUS!!

lbaker
04-23-2005, 07:06 AM
Oh Tracey, what a hard, hard thing to have to deal with. As I said to Kelly, sometimes the best decisions are the hardest ones. You tried, over and over again. There is a purrfect home for Cirrus just waiting somewhere. I'm sure he will find it. I do so wish I could help but 5 cats, 6 dogs and thousands of miles make it rather undoable :( My brother in San Diego loves cats but his situation is tenuous at best right now so that's out, I'm so sorry.

ChrisH
04-23-2005, 07:18 AM
Oh, Tracey, what a tough and sad decision you have had to make. I have never before wished so much that I lived the U.S than right now, I would very much love to have Cirrus live with me.

Prayers and positive thoughts on the way.

{{big hugs}}
Chris

catcrazylady
04-23-2005, 07:28 AM
Oh no! I feel so bad for you Tracey because we all know just how much you love your furkids. I know this has to be the hardest thing in the world for you to do.:(

Just remember how much you have done for Cirrus. At least now he has had his surgery and is in good health. There are a lot of people who wouldn't have done that for him. His new purrents will know his health issues upfront too.

I wish I could help but not only are we thousands of miles away but he could not be an alpha in this house either.:(

I'm so sorry Tracey, please keep us posted.

moosmom
04-23-2005, 08:10 AM
Tracey,

I truly understand the stress that it can create when two cats don't get along. It is a tough decision. I've made it a few times myself, for various reasons.

Hopefully you can find a nice quiet home for Cirrus where he is an only cat.

((((((hugs)))))) to you and the wonderful work you do.

Donna

catnapper
04-23-2005, 08:26 AM
{{{HUGS}}} I know you are making a decision that took you a long time to do... why should we be mad at something that you are doing out of love for the quality of life for all your cats? All we want is to see that our pets are happy and healthy. If its escalating into a stressful home of unhappiness and now illness, well, you have made a gutwrenching and hard decision to rehome Cirrus to where he can be his happiest, while allowing your remaining cats their ultimate happiness.

I hope someone sees him and adopts him soon.

Laura's Babies
04-23-2005, 08:36 AM
I know you heart is breaking but I understand fully. I thought I would have to rehome Samantha because she would not stop attacking all my other babies. When Amy became her main target, I knew that was IT, there was no way I could allow that.

But having had Samantha sit on my doorstep for two years begging to be mine and it finally happening, I was horrified at the thought of turning her away again and she is a perfect cat in every other way.

I KNEW what the conflict with them was all about. Amy and Giz felt she had invaded THIER territory because they were not here when she came over before and she thought THEY were invading her territory since she had never seen them before. Then you add to that, how starved Sam was and how she ran, bowl to bowl and left them nothing to nibble on all day and that causes a lot of problems to.

That is when I decided to do the time outs for Samantha, shut her in a room by herslef and each time she did it, the longer she was shut away all alone. You know how cats are, they HATE to be shut in a room alone so it only took her about 3 days to learn. I was amazed at how fast she put it together in her own head and that stopped it. They are still not all best friends but there is no more attacking and time has taken care of Samanthas appitite problems.

I wish your solution could be as easy as mine was but I was lucky that I hit on something that worked the first time.

PayItForward
04-23-2005, 09:09 AM
I totally understand why you have had to make this decision and you certainly can not live in a house with one cat attacking another.

Just a suggestion, have you considered inviting a behaviourist over to your home to see if there are any training methods that could be used to modify Cirrus's behaviour. (Like Laura's Babies used with her Samantha.)

I could find a small donation towards a behaviourist visit, if you decided to go this route and this might be easier than trying to adopt Cirrus out during kitten season and if it didn't work out, Cirrus should have an quicker time in autumn finding his new home.

All the best

slick
04-23-2005, 09:32 AM
Tracey, no one here thinks you are a bad Meowmie. You've tried everything and I agree that if it's bringing on more stress, then make that decision to rehome Cirrus.

When I first got Max and Speckles, Max stalked her so badly that it affected her health. Specks ended up with about 3 bladder infections over 2 years and the poor girl was starting to shy away from everyone. At that point I was seriously considering rehoming her.

That is when I decided to do the time outs for Samantha, shut her in a room by herself and each time she did it, the longer she was shut away all alone.
Laura, this is what I did with Max. Each time he tried to start a fight, into the spare room he went. He'd cry and cry in there, but he soon got the message. So now, they are both much older and they do tolerate each other. They can now sleep at either ends of the couch and can both sleep on the bed together. Not close, mind you, but still it's way better than it was.

Big {{{hugs}}} Tracey and it sounds like you are doing the right thing. Even if I lived close, I'm afraid I would not be able to take him because of Max. I'm sure his fightin' ways would start up again. Please keep us updated.

slick
xo

Felicia's Mom
04-23-2005, 11:20 AM
Sorry thing aren't working out. My Felicia would rather be an only cat too.

jazzcat
04-23-2005, 11:29 AM
I'm so sorry. I know this must be breaking your heart. I really hope a PTer can take him at least as a foster.

(((HUGS)))

Maya & Inka's mommy
04-23-2005, 11:44 AM
This must be so hard for you, Tracey...:( . I know how much you love ALL your furbabies, and how you tried to make Cirrus feel comfy. Don't feel bad about this, please!!
I hope you find a great furever home for Cirrus, hopefully not far away; so you can visit him as much as possible.

Good luck, Tracey!:)

Kirsten
04-23-2005, 11:55 AM
Oh Tracey, I'm so sorry!!! (((HUGS)))) What a heartbreaking decision you have to make!

I absolutely don't think you're a bad mommy, I think you did everything you could to make it work. Sometimes it's just not meant to be. Maybe poor Cirrus would just be happier as a single cat, and the struvite crystal thing doesn't make it easier for him (I can relate to that, since Luna has the same problem).

It would be nice if Cirrus could find another PT home. That way we could all stay in "contact" with him, and you would know he's in a good place.

Kirsten

krazyaboutkatz
04-23-2005, 11:58 AM
Thanks for all of your support everyone.:D You've brought tears to my eyes. I just received another e-mail from a woman in Cirrus's former rescue group and this is what it said:

Hi Tracey,

I have a fosterer who may be interested in taking him in –
I can let you know ASAP! She has one of Flint’s younger
siblings (we still have not caught that mamma cat)!

The potential fosterer is a nice woman who works with one
of our members, her name is Julie. She is currently
fostering a 6 month old who is from the same mother cat as
Cirrus. I have a feeling they would get along fine - this
kitten is shy and loves other cats. Would you be OK with
Julie visiting Cirrus to see if she wants to foster him? I
think she will when she meets him - she has a lot of
experience with formerly-feral cats and socializing them,
so him being shy would not bother her at all. She has been
a long-term foster home for several of our more
challenging kitties, and has really helped them become
more confident and adoptable.

This sounds like just the right person to foster Cirrus. I sure hope she'll be able to foster him. I'll keep you upated as soon as I know anything.:D

jazzcat
04-23-2005, 12:01 PM
Tracey, she sounds perfect for fostering him. I pray it works out. Please keep us posted.

MULTICATMOM
04-23-2005, 12:46 PM
SEE? THE POWER OF PRAYERS & POSITVE THOUGHTS:D

THIS JULIE SOUNDS LIKE JUST THE PURRSON CIRRUS NEEDS!!

AmberLee
04-23-2005, 01:03 PM
{{{KAK}}}

What a horrible and stressful day you are having! Adding my prayers that this foster situation works out to the betterment of all your fur-babies, and you, too.

Love,
AmberLee

kimlovescats
04-23-2005, 01:11 PM
Tracey, many of us here at PT have been in your same situation ... some more than once! You have to do what is best for all kitties involved! This new foster sounds like an answered prayer already! GOOD LUCK!

(HUGS)
Kim:)

catmandu
04-23-2005, 01:19 PM
I had,to make that decision,with Hershey Bar,as he really,was spitting,and hissing,at my Meezers,and a there was luckily a home,where the Lady,had just lost her Older Siamese Cat.I still miss Hershey Bar,as with me,he was getting very friendly.But he is doing very well,in his new Home.And I hope,and pray,that Cirrus,can find,that home,where he will truly be happy.Some Cats,just have to be,on thier own.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/catphotos1165.jpg

krazyaboutkatz
04-23-2005, 04:45 PM
Thanks again everyone for all of your support.:D Since both Sunny and Sky are still at the vets for their teeth cleanings and Storm is also there for another urinalysis because he has a possible UTI, Cirrus has seen what it's like to be an only cat and he loves it.:) He's so much calmer and comfortable. I sure hope that he can become an only cat for some one.:)

shais_mom
04-23-2005, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by catnapper
{{{HUGS}}} I know you are making a decision that took you a long time to do... why should we be mad at something that you are doing out of love for the quality of life for all your cats? All we want is to see that our pets are happy and healthy. If its escalating into a stressful home of unhappiness and now illness, well, you have made a gutwrenching and hard decision to rehome Cirrus to where he can be his happiest, while allowing your remaining cats their ultimate happiness.

I hope someone sees him and adopts him soon.

beautifully said Kim.....

I am so sorry Tracy you and your kitties are in my thoughts and prayers.

NoahsMommy
04-23-2005, 11:18 PM
Tracey,

That potential fosterer sounds great. Let us know how it goes.

Hugs,
Kelly :)

jenluckenbach
04-24-2005, 04:57 AM
I hope that foster home works out for you and Cirrus.

Cataholic
04-24-2005, 07:49 AM
I am so sorry to read this about Cirrus. I didn't know you ALL were having such a rough time. :(

I know a bit what you are feeling. Monte stalks Georgia so bad it has made her more timid, and I think develop IBD. I am immediately going to institute the time outs that were mentioned above.

Best wishes for you, Cirrus and the other kitties.

sirrahbed
04-24-2005, 12:21 PM
Just getting to this thread (((Tracey))) I am sorry and sad that this is happening because I know you must be feeling awful:(

But I like the way catnapper Kim put it all - you have do what is best for everyone. Rehoming is no awful thing when it means doing what is best for your cats!!

Another Meowmie may not have given Cirrus the medical care he needed!!! Now he is healthy and there is a home waiting where he can be alone or the alpha he wants to be and Storm can relax and be a calm kitty like he wants to be without the stress. I feel you are trying so hard to be the best Meowmie for your boys as I know you love them all so much!!

Has Julie come yet? She sounds wonderful as a possibility but if not, there will be someone else.

more http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v170/sirrahbed/smilies/grouphug2.gif for you!!

krazyaboutkatz
04-24-2005, 12:45 PM
Thanks again everyone.:) I still haven't heard from Julie yet. The lady from the rescue group e-mailed both of us at the same time with my address and phone information so we could set up a convenient time to meet. I now have her e-mail address but nothing else. I'm hoping to here from her by Monday. I'll keep you updated as soon as I know anything.

Don Juan's mom
04-24-2005, 07:34 PM
No reason to beat yourself up. You're making every effort to get Cirrus the forever home he deserves. Good luck.

Me, I was looking at the cats for adoption at Petsmart and wondering if Don Juan would like a "Leporello." But I worry that he's been an "only cat" too long.

LIz

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-25-2005, 10:01 AM
Oh Tracey, I'm so sorry to hear this. What a difficult decision for you to have to make, but it shows that you only have your kitty's best interests at heart.

Isn't Cirrus considered part Bengal? And isn't that what SAS's Ti was? Is the need to be top-cat and aggression character traits of Bengals? Just curious because that would definitely be something that a potential adopter should know.

I sure hope the other foster home works out for him as I know it would really ease stress all around - you, Storm and Cirrus himself.

ramanth
04-25-2005, 10:54 AM
Oh Tracey, I'm so sorry you've had to make such a difficult decision. :(

*HUGS*

Lots of luck to you and Cirrus.

wolf_Q
04-25-2005, 03:35 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this, Tracey. :( This must be an extremely difficult decision for you. I hope you will be able to find a nice home where Cirrus can be happy as the only cat.

Kater
04-26-2005, 04:31 AM
I'm so sorry to hear things aren't working out. Integrating different kitty purrsonalities is not an easy thing!

I wish the best for you and Cirrus. :D I hope the perfect person comes along soon! :)

krazyaboutkatz
04-26-2005, 11:30 AM
Thanks again everyone. I'm so glad that I have your support about this difficult decision.:) Julie called me this morning and she's unable to foster Cirris at this time because she has another male that still needs to neutered and she wants to work with him one on one. She said that Tina should be able to find a place for him though and she's the lady that was working with Cirrus before I adopted him. I e-mailed her and hopefully everything will work out. I'll let you know. Thanks again.:)

Killearn Kitties
04-26-2005, 12:06 PM
That's a shame, that would have been a good solution. I'm sure that something even better will come along for Cirrus though! :)

krazyaboutkatz
04-27-2005, 12:29 AM
This Saturday morning I'm going to be giving Cirrus back to his former rescue group.:( I know I'm doing the right thing because Storm's currently sick with a UTI and I know that he needs to be as stress free as possible. Cirrus will be living at an animal clinic until a foster home opens up for him. I hope that this will happen soon but I know it's kitten season and most foster people already have their homes full of fosters. I'm going to miss him terribly but I have to do what's best for both me and my furkids.

Thanks again for all of your support.:)

jenluckenbach
04-27-2005, 05:17 AM
I have tears in my eyes for you. Such a hard thing to do. :( Now that the time has actually come, it is more REAL. This is it.....no more Cirrus. I am so heartbroken, so I can only image how much worse off you are. {{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}

catlady1945
04-27-2005, 05:54 AM
Poor Cirrus.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-27-2005, 08:58 AM
Tracey, you know you're doing what's best for everyone involved. I know this is very hard for you, but knowing Storm needs Cirrus to be gone will help you to know you are making the right decision.

{{{hugs}}}

wolflady
05-11-2005, 06:54 PM
Oh my gosh! I can't believe that I just found this!!! I'm so sorry to hear about what happened with Cirrus. You did the right thing, even though it was very difficult. But, you had to do what was right for you and the other kitties in your family. **hugs**
Do you think the rescue group will keep you updated on where Cirrus goes? It would be nice to still have some tabs on him and to make sure he finds a new family.

**hugs**

Vermontcat
05-11-2005, 08:43 PM
I just found this thread too.
I'm so sorry that you have to rehome Cirrus.
Hopefully they will keep you updated when he finds a new home.
Hugs to you.

Logan
05-11-2005, 09:12 PM
Tracey. Cirrus is going to be fine. I just know it. Please keep your chin up and know that you have done the right thing for your family.

Logan

krazyaboutkatz
05-11-2005, 11:27 PM
Thanks again everyone for all of your support.:) Yes, the rescue group will be able to keep me updated. The lady who was my main contact is moving back to Canada with her fiance and she's given me the name and e-mail address of another lady who will keep me updated about him.

Cirrus is still living at the animal hospital and is doing well. The rescue group also has his picture and bio on their website. My furkids are also doing very well but I do think that both Sunny and Sky miss being able to play with Cirrus. They seem so bored at times. Storm, however, doesn't miss Cirrus at all. He's in heaven and is now stress free again. He had another urinalysis yesterday and I should have the results by tomorrow morning. I sure hope he's back to normal.

I'm also doing well and although it was a very difficult decision, I know that I did the right thing. I'll always miss Cirrus and remember all the wonderful times that I had with him. It sure seems strange only having 4 cats. It's almost too peaceful around here.:)

Barbara
05-12-2005, 03:47 AM
Me too I missed this up to now.

I am so sorry for you and Cirrus and hope Cirrus finds a new home soon. I always thought he has some Bengal in him and Bengals are playful but can also be a handfull.

Kisses to Sunny and Sky- I hope they come to the simple solution to play with each other;)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
05-12-2005, 09:38 AM
Tracey, I'm so glad to hear that Storm seems less stressed. Hopefully his urinalysis will be clear - and stay that way now.

However, I have to point out that sub-consciously Cirrus is still has a big piece of your heart. Look
It sure seems strange only having 4 cats.

{{{hugs}}} for doing the right thing for Storm and Cirrus even though it was so hard on you. :)