PDA

View Full Version : Strange thing going on with dog rescue?

AngelZoo
04-22-2005, 12:55 PM
I've been taking a break from rescue/fostering since last Sept.

For about the past week and a half now I've been trying to get back into it. I'm looking to foster a small dog.

Any time I come across one that really speaks to me, they are always either "already adopted" or "not avaible for a foster home."

I'm not the only one to have encountered this lately either. Normally I'd have a foster with in a few days, and more people begging me to take other dogs in.

What gives?:confused:

aly
04-22-2005, 01:18 PM
I know that small dogs are in such high demand around here that it isn't as easy to find a small dog foster than a bigger one. It is still possible though.

Maybe you could find one who is a little bit older? Those generally take longer to get snatched up.

AngelZoo
04-22-2005, 01:25 PM
We are looking at dogs of all ages, doesn't matter to us. 2 months or 7 years!

We are limited to a dog of up to 25 pounds however, so yes I am running into a lot of BIG dogs, but not enough small ones to go around.

I'm still keeping my eyes open for the dog that is right for me, and I for it. I refused to be pressured into helping the next "URGENT" dog, that might make me, or itself miserable.

aly
04-22-2005, 02:38 PM
Good luck with finding one. Maybe you can contact a small breed rescue and ask that they let you know if they know of any small dogs needing a foster home?

AngelZoo
04-22-2005, 02:47 PM
I have been in contact with a bunch of small breed rescues for Basenji's, Cocker Spaniels, Italian Greyhounds, and a couple of the Shiba Inu rescues I already worked with in the past.

The majority of the dogs in this tri state area, are BIG dogs, and BEAGLES!
Don't get me wrong, I like beagles, they just aren't really my type of dog, and I did just save a stray on the side of the road who was a beagle 2 weekends ago!

85% of the dogs out there are beagles, or beagle mixes, I kid you not!

Glacier
04-22-2005, 03:03 PM
The group I work with never fosters little dogs. Any dog under 30 pounds is adopted in mere days from our shelter. If someone wants to foster a timid, black and white husky cross, we have lots of those!!

LKPike
04-22-2005, 04:32 PM
don't complain! I'm HAPPY to know you can't find a foster because their getting adopted! :p:):) Don't worry, somewhere out there, theres a little doggie just waiting for you to come by :)

robinh
04-22-2005, 04:39 PM
Here lately we've had a run on Yorkies. They've been coming out of the woodwork. Where are you located?

AngelZoo
04-22-2005, 05:20 PM
Robin, we are located in Maryland.
We are mostly looking for Basenji's, Italian Greyhounds, Shiba Inu's, Min Pins, PRT and Cocker Spaniels. But we are open to any dog that we both completely fall for.

Ginger's Mom
04-22-2005, 05:49 PM
You are in Maryland? Yay!!! How about Eskie? Would you consider fostering one of them? It just seems to me that there are an awful lot of them in this general area that need fostering? Just a thought. :) But thank you for trying to help out a dog in need.