PDA

View Full Version : Swine being trained as part of canine search team

QueenScoopalot
04-22-2005, 09:15 AM
http://www.aberdeennews.com/mld/aberdeennews/news/11419137.htm

Swine being trained as part of canine search team

Associated Press

ABERDEEN, S.D. - A 4-month old pig is being trained to sniff out human cadavers as part of a search dog team.

The pig, named Leana, is one month into her training with the Dakota Territory Search Dogs team to track basic human scents.

"We used to have a lot of old-timers say, `It's a shame that they don't train pigs,' and now we are," said Denny Adams of Conde, who operates the search dog team.

The next step for Leana will be tracking a basic cadaver scent.

Other animals such as llamas have been considered for scent tracking but aren't practical because their size keeps them from getting into smaller spaces or over fences, Adams said.

Leana will be used for cadaver finding before she grows to full size and can't track a scent as easily.

It's about time pigs get recognised for their brilliance, and not just as a food source. I'm having a hard time visualizing a 500lb. pig clamboring around debris in search of human remains though. :eek:

Laura's Babies
04-22-2005, 09:41 AM
Where do you find all these articles? They are so "pet related" and so interesting!

QueenScoopalot
04-22-2005, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Laura's Babies
Where do you find all these articles? They are so "pet related" and so interesting!
[email protected]
A forum I subscribed to a while back, that's run by a vet, and frequented by others. ;) I can't recall how to sign up, but I think you just send an email. I get the digest form, which is convenient as I can scroll through and read what interests me. :) There's a lot of techical vet jargon there that I sometimes try to decipher lol!

RICHARD
04-23-2005, 02:26 PM
Smear truffle oil on your body after a bath...

You'll be found faster...;)