PDA

View Full Version : What are your summers like?

PJ's Mom
04-22-2005, 09:10 AM
We're coming up on summer quickly and I'm dreading the high humidity and scorching temps that come along with it.

We usually have temps in the high 90's to the low 100's with humidity anywhere from 50% to 80%. We don't get alot of rain and the rain we do get usually just makes it more humid.

What are your summers like? Do you dread them the way I do, or are they mild enough for you to get out and enjoy the warm weather?

Jadapit
04-22-2005, 09:14 AM
Our summers here in Colorado are pretty nice. It does get hot but we dont have the humidity like you do. I dont think I could handle the humidity!;)

petslover
04-22-2005, 09:52 AM
PJ's Mom.. My weather is just like yours..

I hate it! It is so hot here that you never want to get out.

Laura's Babies
04-22-2005, 09:53 AM
Our summers are so hot and muggy... July and August are awful and you can't go outside for any length of time. I love the spring and fall the best, weather you can keep the windows open. Right now we at in the middle of catapiller season and they are EVERYWHERE eating everything. The stinging ones are the PITS!OWIEEEEEE!

Desert Arabian
04-22-2005, 10:04 AM
Summer....what is summer? We don't have that in Wisconsin. :p Actually, our summers are extremely nice. Temperatures usually remain in the high 70's to low 80's, we do get a fair amount of unbearable 90 and 100 degree weather, but we Wisconsinites don't dare go outside in that heat unless we must, for we can't tolerate it. We can handle negative temperatures better than 90 degree plus, hehe! :o We get a lot of thunderstorms with tornadoes here and there, especially in the middle of the state, which is nice, I love thunderstorms.

Bugs....I can't stand the bugs...the one good thing about Wisconsin is they don't live for long, but when they do there are a lot. Wisconsin is mosquito capital, we call them our state bird, it is nuts! Ticks are just as bad, especially right about now. Go out into the woods and you will get covered in ticks (my friend pulled 23 off this past Saturday!)- disgusting.

jazzcat
04-22-2005, 10:06 AM
Sticky, sticky, sticky! Hot and humid describes it.

PJ's Mom
04-22-2005, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by YellowLabLover
Ticks are just as bad, especially right about now. Go out into the woods and you will get covered in ticks (my friend pulled 23 off this past Saturday!)- disgusting.

*shivers*

I read that and got goosebumps. :p

Jadapit
04-22-2005, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by PJ's Mom
*shivers*

I read that and got goosebumps. :p

Me too.:p I dont think I could handle that many ticks on me. Yuck!
We have a lot of mosquitos here also. West Nile virus is really bad here. It's getting worse each year. Quite a few people have died from it. Scary!!

BitsyNaceyDog
04-22-2005, 12:46 PM
Well, I live in Florida so as you can imagine it is HOT here it the summer. High 90's and humid. Usually 90%-100% humidity. It's very sticky. It rains everyday without fail and usually around the same time everyday. Lots of mosquitoes, big pesticide trucks drive down the streets at night spraying the mosquitoes. Fleas and ticks are abundant here too. I keep frontline on the dogs therefore I never have a problem with fleas, however I still have ticks, but they aren't as bad as they would be if I didn't use frontline. I loathe Florida summers.

jennifert9
04-22-2005, 01:00 PM
Summers in Syracuse are FABULOUS!! Absolutely wonderful! The temperatures are in the 80s and 90s, sunny...everyone is outside all the time! There are hundreds of things to do in and around town. Almost every weekend there is some kind of festival downtown. They have dancing in the streets in a few different parks on weeknights, fairs...it's great!
That's all just in the city of Syracuse itself. In the surrounding areas, there are lakes and rivers and lots of county and state parks and beaches and places to relax, go hiking, go swimming....I love summer in Syracuse! It's the best!
Of course, I love hot weather. If it drops under 70 I'm cold! ;) And I don't like air conditioning at all. Right now, I'm at work and the AC is on, so I have my own electric heater under the desk cranking away and am wearing a sweater!! I would never make it any farther north!!

slleipnir
04-22-2005, 01:06 PM
I loooove summer!! The temps are usually perfect. Not too hot. :)

manda_moo87
04-22-2005, 01:22 PM
Our summers here are really nice. The temp doesn't usually get too high, and its sooo nice and sunny! :D Can't wait til summer!

cali
04-22-2005, 01:24 PM
well here we get all the extremes lol are winters are extremly cold and our summers are usually hot and muggy, very regularly it gets into the low 100*F range almost all summer is in the high 90's , spring and fall are in the 70's-80's and winter gets into around -58*F. so I get the extremes all around lol

Uabassoon
04-22-2005, 03:49 PM
I HATE arizona summers. The temperature can get to 110 degrees! We also get monsoons towards the end of the summer, which are nasty as well. The rain of the monsoon isn't too bad, it just makes the weather so humid and sticky. Thankfully monsoon season is short and and least most of the summer is a dry heat.

Glacier
04-22-2005, 04:03 PM
24 hours of light, temps usually around 18-24C, no humidity at all. The bad things are the mosquitos the size of small ducks and the forest fires. If we have a bad fire season, it's very smokey and hazy all the time. I live in the middle of the forest so fires scare the beejeezus out of me.

Personally, I greatly prefer winter. If we could just get some light in the winter, it would be perfect. I'll take -30C over 30 above anyday!

Karen
04-22-2005, 04:11 PM
EVerything - from hot(90s F) and muggy and disgusting to cool (60sF and below) and clear. Rain, thunderstorms - those are my favorite. This is New England, where just about anything goes, weatherwise, and nothing lasts very long!

sammy101
04-22-2005, 04:11 PM
Houstons summers are really gross:o i hate it.
its REALLY humid and hot,then theres mosquitos,fleas...ughk i hate it.good thing im going to be gone most of this summer:D
it gets over 100 too.

Daisy and Delilah
04-22-2005, 04:13 PM
KBlaix said it all for me. Well said!! I try not to go outside away from the air conditioner except to get into the AC car. It's absolutely unbearable here in Florida.

Terry, Daisy, and Delilah:D

Tollers-n-Dobes
04-22-2005, 04:14 PM
Ours aren't very humid, they can be somedays but not often. We usually hit between 27-42 celcius.

ParNone
04-22-2005, 04:39 PM
Houston is very hot and humid, but I don't mind it at all. I'm not too big on being cold. Cold will stop me from doing things, but Hot won't. I just accept that I'll be sweaty and smelly, while doing things and just work in an extra shower.

Par...

NoahsMommy
04-22-2005, 04:47 PM
I only dread summer in about August when we've had more than our fair share of hot sun.

So. Cal is normally very mild and summers are warm. Clear skies, lots of sun... :)

PJ's Mom
04-22-2005, 07:36 PM
I ever realized Canada and the northeast had such extremes in the summer.

Those of you in Houston, I can relate. :(

I think I'll be moving to Montana. :D

Buddy Blaze Lover
04-22-2005, 07:38 PM
Usually our summers are pretty busy, but this year it's going to be more relaxed...we'll probably just do horseback riding, piano, and go to the Y...I'm ready for a break too! lol:)

PJ's Mom
04-22-2005, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by Buddy Blaze Lover
Usually our summers are pretty busy, but this year it's going to be more relaxed...we'll probably just do horseback riding, piano, and go to the Y...I'm ready for a break too! lol:)

Psst...Katie. We're talking weather, here. :D

Oggyflute
04-22-2005, 08:26 PM
Sydney summers are hot and most often humid. We get temps well into the 40 - 45 degC mark. It's hard to survive without air-conditioning.:)

gkristian
04-22-2005, 08:36 PM
we don't get extreme temperature down here as they do up in Sydney, but the sun seems to be stronger. you only need to be out in the sun for about 20min and you'll get burned. in the three years i've lives in Tasmania the hotest temperature has been about 38degC.

GraciesMommy
04-22-2005, 09:38 PM
HOTHOTHOT
I feel for you in AZ..we went to San Diego 2 summers ago and went thru AZ and I had flip flops on and they stuck to the concrete! We stopped at for a potty break at a gas station and it was one of those with an outside bathroom (ick!) and the door handle was so hot I couldn't open it without going in first and asking for a towel to use to grab the door..never seen anything like it. And I thought TEXAS was hot!

Suki Wingy
04-22-2005, 10:51 PM
Hot. Wet. Humid. Laying in your basement by a fan hot, mudhole at the dog park hot, spending all day bikeing with your dog and spending your week's alowance on food and toys hot, swimming in the North Brook" that my town is named for. Wet dog chasing you in the yard hot. Riding outside in the heat that puts you into a trance, so you're under the spell of the summer hot. And most of all, summers here are at the mercy of the forses of nature, thunderstorms, microbursts, power outages, and anything and everything in between.

IRescue452
04-22-2005, 11:12 PM
I agree with all the above Wisconsin information. Anything above 70 degrees and I start with the heat stroke. The beginning of this week was rather hot. I was one of those kids that went on field trips with the school and had to stay inside with a glass of water. I love chasing tornados, one hit the warehouse I was working in last summer. Everybody was in the bathroom because that is where we are supposed to go when there are tornados, nobody believed the tornado hit us until they went into the back warehouse and saw a wall was missing! The state bird, American Robin, is called a "skeeter" in Wisconsinite terms, its not actually the bug that people were originally referring to though that wouldn't be far from the truth. I've only had one tick in my life and I am always in the woods, I must be lucky.

popcornbird
04-22-2005, 11:56 PM
California summers are pretty nice....mild-warm, no humidity. We sometimes get 90-100 degree temperatures during heat waves, but normally, our summers are mild....in the 70s-80s most of the time. Last year summer was very cool here.....in the low 70s throughout summer. It was nice, though some were complaining it seemed like summer never came. :p It seems to me that we used to have warmer summers years ago. :confused:

wolfsoul
04-23-2005, 12:00 AM
HOT! The average temperature in the summer is 32 C (90 F), but it will get as high as 46 C (115 F). It is the hottest area in BC. Luckily it isn't hot every day. There are other areas in BC that get almost as hot as Kelowna, but they stay hot every day. Kelowna has it's cool days.

It's only April, and apparently next week it's going to be around 35 C (95 F). The day we plant trees. :rolleyes: There are so many ticks that we have to wear long sleeved shirts and pants. What fun.

It always feels so humid to me -- Like I'm walkign through water. But apparently it's actually really dry here. That's why we get forest fires so easily. There will be another ban on campfires this year, and ANOTHER drought.

LKPike
04-23-2005, 08:05 AM
I prefer them in germany, where its just very hot :p I hate most summer days in Tennessee when everythings got this "stickyness". You stick to everything you touch, just the thought of it makes me want to shiver and gag! :p some days are pretty nice though, like after a thunderstorm! :)