PDA

View Full Version : Sara's Sorda Sick :(

Gepansy
01-18-2002, 09:46 PM
:( Sara went to the vet today(1-18-02) and hasn't come back.
She won't be home for the night either.
It's very lonely and quiet without her.
My mom and dad think it has to do with a bladder infection or a urinary track infection of some kind or something like that.
Hopefully I can update by tomorrow.
Her behaviour is normal....still eats,drinks,sleeps,plays, acts like an idiot!!!..lol
My parents just think that something is wrong because yesterday evening she was laying in the floor and got up. There was a wet spot where she was laying. She layed down in a different place, got up and the same thing happened.
My parents figured out that she was leaking pee.
I know it sounds gross, but if somethings wrong she needs to go to the vet.
I hope she is fine..will update soon.
Alyssa

;)

*LabLoverKEB*
01-18-2002, 10:02 PM
Oh, no! Poor Sara!!! I hope she's ok! I will keep Sara in my thoughts and prayers.

Love,
Sarah & Sadie*:)

KYS
01-18-2002, 10:13 PM
Wishing good thought for Sara.
Please keep us posted.

Sudilar
01-18-2002, 11:30 PM
Hope Sara's ok. Please let us know!

Gepansy
01-19-2002, 12:18 AM
Since I live in New Mexico, I should know something about 9:30ish my time. I will be sure to know something then and will post something. Until then......
:( Alyssa:(

lbaker
01-19-2002, 07:26 AM
...oh please let us know :( we are worried and smiling for the best when you bring her home :) laurie

tatsxxx11
01-19-2002, 08:19 AM
All paws are crossed here for sweet Sara. Hope to hear some good news today....Love to Sara and her family.

Gepansy
01-19-2002, 10:50 AM
It's now about 9:45ish my time. My mom called the vet and he was in with a patient. So no new news.:(
Will post again soon
Alyssa

Albea
01-19-2002, 12:14 PM
Hope that Sara's problem is nothing serious and that she comes back home soon and well.

zippy-kat
01-19-2002, 12:23 PM
Mom emailed me last night:

"Sara acts fine....first thing she did when i took her in was jump up and put her front feet on the counter. Knocked off a clipboard onto the keyboard & scared the receptionist! The girl did not know we had came in and she whipped around & said, "I didn't know there was a dog in here!" ...I think we startled her...LOL Sara was soooo excited to see her friends (bet she's not now) lol"

Sara is still actin' like Sara--just a little leaky, I guess. :o

mary_jsn
01-19-2002, 03:37 PM
this is what it says in a book I've got about dogs:
Sometimes a dog will lose urinary control without realizaing it-some spayed females leave puddles while they are sleeping. This type of incontinence responds readily to medication which your vet can prescribe for you. Dogs sometimes become incontinent as they grow older. In this cases, more frequent walks will often ease the problem.
I hope this help, hope she's fine!

mary_jsn
01-19-2002, 03:43 PM
i am 100 % sure that this is no urinary tract'cause then she would have been straining to urinate or urinating more frequently than usual.

zippy-kat
01-19-2002, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the info!

No news yet on my end. (Gepansy's my sis and lives w/ the folks--I'm away at college.)

lizbud
01-19-2002, 08:31 PM
Prayers and Good Wishes for a quick recovery
& "fix" for the leaking problem.Get better soon
Sweet Sara !!! Buddy & Liz.

Gepansy
01-20-2002, 01:35 AM
Sara came home today!
She still acts just fine and her same old self.
She is sleeping alot and acts very tired.(my dad thinks it's just from stress......being away from us and her home)
The doctor said they needed a sample of pee, but she wouldn't cooperate........she's too wiggly! ;) :D
They would try to get a sample and couldn't, then they would put her in their dog run and she would go.
So now that is why she is home and my mom has the lovely job of trying to get the sample herself.:eek:
;) Glad it's not me!;)
Will update again soon,
Alyssa

mary_jsn
01-20-2002, 08:24 AM
Oh that's wonderful!!!!! I hope she hasn't git anything bad, anyway, i'm sure we can all pray and wish that Sara gets better, and maybe that she hasn't got anything at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D ;) :) :cool: :p

lbaker
01-20-2002, 10:31 AM
..and how is our dear this morning? I'm sure she is much better being with her folks...at least I surely pray to Dog she is...

Gepansy
01-20-2002, 01:43 PM
She's doing fine this morning.
She still acts a little tired from stress, but my dad got her a new toy to help her feel better!:)
It's a giant monkey with a rose by it's mouth and says-I Love You
at the bottom of it's stomach.

mary_jsn
01-20-2002, 02:04 PM
how sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D;)

tatsxxx11
01-20-2002, 04:33 PM
Good girl, sweet, sweet Sara! And good Dad!!;) Love and kisses to the recovering patient!!

Cinder & Smoke
01-21-2002, 11:00 AM
Hi, Sara ~ Cinder, Smokey, Boots, an Dad sure hope you're starting to feel better!

Dad found this from a British Vet site ~ might help in getting a 'sample', if that is still a problem...

How to Collect a Urine Sample.

Early morning samples are best.
Unusual circumstances will inhibit many dogs from urinating. To overcome this, prior to collecting the sample it is worth taking steps to increase the amount of urine in the bladder, before you try to collect it.

Take the dog out last thing at night at least an hour earlier than normal.

Wait an extra hour in the morning before taking the dog out for its first walk.

Put the dog on a lead, and take it out carrying a suitable container (e.g. A margarine carton or an old plate/bowl). All containers must be scrupulously clean.
After the dog squats or lifts its leg, push the container into the stream of urine, trying not to catch the first few drops. Remove the container from the urine stream before the flow has stopped.

Transfer the urine to a screw-topped container, (most vets will be happy to supply these on request), and fill in the details on the label. Store the sample in the refrigerator if it cannot be taken immediately to the surgery.

Note: Those Brits make it sound so easy! :rolleyes:

Please let us all know how you're feeling today.

lbaker
01-21-2002, 01:12 PM
..oh Phred, you are just toooo wonderfull. You are so wise beyond your years :D And how is our dear Sara today?

Logan
01-21-2002, 01:16 PM
Oh, Alyssa, I hope Sara is continuing to feel good. I can't remember how old she is, but Scout, who is my parent's dog has the same problem. Scout is about 10 years old, and is spayed. She started her problem when she was staying with me a year or so ago, and my vet put her on a hormone treatment that she takes twice per week. As long as they give her the medication on schedule, she doesn't have any problems. I can't remember what the name of the medication is, but I know it is no longer manufactured, and my vet has found a druggist (pharmacist) who will make up the pills for him, so I get them for Scout and send them to Mom and Dad for Scout. Let me know if you need me to get more info on that medication for you.
And give Sara a big kiss from me. :)
Logan

Gepansy
01-21-2002, 07:15 PM
Sara is still doing just fine today.
She loves her new toy!
I don't know if my mom has got the urine sample yet though.
I will update again to let you know how she is,
Alyssa
;)

zippy-kat
01-21-2002, 07:39 PM
Thanks Logan! Sara is 3 or 4 (:o I don't remember now! hafta ask Mom!:o)

Thanks for the uhmm...'kollekting' advice Phred! lol I'll pass it on to Mom--sure am glad I don't hafta do it! lol

I talked to Mom today, she said so far Sara's 'leakiness' has been a one time thing. The 'sample' is suppose to be fresh & Mom's vehicle was in the shop today, so she's gonna try and kollekt tomorrow!

mary_jsn
01-22-2002, 09:17 AM
I hope that she is fine. Good Luck and cross your fingers that sara is alright!

aly
01-22-2002, 03:29 PM
I'm hoping there's nothing wrong at all with the Sara girl. All fingers and paws here are crossed for her! Keep us updated :)

jackiesdaisy1935
01-22-2002, 03:43 PM
I hope all is well with Sara, we will all keep our fingers and our paws crossed.
Miss Daisy, Perry and Jackie

tatsxxx11
01-22-2002, 05:06 PM
The medication Logan speaks of is DES. My vet still carrys it, though it is hard to come by. For the most part, it has now been replaced by the medication phenylpropanolamine, which has been found to be far more effective with fewer adverse side effects. My Cody, who developed this "leaking" problem at age 1 1/2 after spaying, is almost completely "controlled" with a twice daily dose. This drug, historically added to many cold meds., gained notoriety as of late as it was been found to be potentially toxic to humans. This has not been found to be the case in dogs, thankfully. Lots of prayers and well wishes for sweet Sara!!

Cinder & Smoke
01-22-2002, 05:28 PM
Searching for "DES" (diethylstilbestrol) turned up this...

http://www.marvistavet.com (http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_diethylstilbestrol__des_.html)

And (phenylpropanolamine) turned up this...

http://www.marvistavet.com (http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_phenylpropanolamine.html)

Hope this helps! :D

RachelJ
01-22-2002, 08:02 PM
Here's hoping that Sara's problem can be evaluated quickly and resolved. Aren't the folks here just a wealth of information? A good group to know!

Gepansy
01-22-2002, 08:29 PM
Sara is 2 sisser!!!!
But she does have a birthday coming up in March.;)

zippy-kat
01-23-2002, 10:25 PM
Spoke to Mom this evenin' & she sez that ol' Mizzer White Coat thinks that b/c this was a 'one time' thing, ol' Sara either:

1) passed a small stone ~or~
2) the gage to her bladder was on FULL and she didn't tell anyone/didn't wanna go outside, so she dribbled a bit:o

She's fine now--still as playful and *bOuNcY* as ever & no leaks!

Thanks for everyone's concern!

Gepansy
01-23-2002, 10:35 PM
Sara's fine.
Thanks again for everyone's concerns! ;)
Alyssa

mary_jsn
01-24-2002, 10:28 AM
Oh those are very good news! I hope she stays well