PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions for a sore throat?

manda_moo87
04-22-2005, 12:26 AM
Anyone have any suggestions on what to do about a sore throat?? ???

I feel so sick right now and it is so so important that I NOT be sick this weekend!!! :( My Mom just made me a hot lemon drink but it didn't help too much...

Thanks everyone.

Manda

wolfsoul
04-22-2005, 12:49 AM
I hate sore throats. The only thing that's ever helped for me a little bit is gargling white vinegar. It feels weird in your mouth, but it feel better than hydrogen peroxide. Hope your throat feels better soon!

krazyaboutkatz
04-22-2005, 12:53 AM
Amanda, I'm so sorry to hear that you've got a sore throat.:( I gargle with warm salt water several times a day when I have a very bad sore throat and this seems to work for me. You must also avoid orange juice because this will irritate your throat more. You can also buy throat spray or sore throat drops similar to cough drops to help sooth your throat. I hope you'll feel better soon. Please take care.

manda_moo87
04-22-2005, 11:07 AM
Thanks guys! :)

RedHedd
04-22-2005, 01:43 PM
Gargling with salt water will take the sting out. I also just got a recipe for an herbal tea you can make yourself - the recipe sounds gross at first, but when it's all combined it tastes pretty darned good.

Steep 2 tsps. Sage leaves in hot boiling water for 10 minutes (I use a tea ball). Then add juice from one lemon, a pinch of cayenne pepper and a tablespoon of honey.

It's really helped my sore throat feel better.

buckner
04-22-2005, 02:11 PM
I've had a sore throat for about 4 days now. Food wise, eat yogurts or ice cream. It's soft and cold. It numbs up the throat long enough to enjoy whatever you decide to eat. Also, for me, drinking fruit juice really helps - I drink fruit juice that comes from concentrate; I freeze it, then pour water into it. It's really good and you can't even feel the soreness!

Medicines that will help - there's only two that I've had work. Chloraseptic REALLY helps. It's a spray that comes in different flavours. If you get it fresh and new (and not expired.. I learned my lesson :p) it works for a long time. Throat losenges (Sucretes) really work too. It's like a cough drop but it numbs your throat.

I'm really sorry you have a sore throat. I know how bad they suck. Is it just a sore throat, or could it be Strep Throat? :(

luvofallhorses
04-22-2005, 05:04 PM
Ice Cream will doctor it right up it did when I had strep if it doesn't get better go to the doctor, buckner same with you! :)

christa
04-22-2005, 05:43 PM
Zinc throat drops . . .

Airborne dissolved in Orange Juice . . .

That's all I've got. Usually, if I even feel a tickle, I start drinking Airborne and it's gone the next day.

"AIRBORNE" IS A MIRACLE DRUG for colds!!!

www.airbornehealth.com

NoahsMommy
04-22-2005, 05:47 PM
During my last hospital stay, I had an NG tube in and for those four days, my throat hurt so bad I couldn't speak. They gave me a bottle of Chloroseptic spray and that worked a bit. Cepicol losenges worked too.

Warning on the huge amounts of Vitamin C...they can cause severe intestinal distress if you already have a weak tummy. Just be careful...no more than 1000 mg a day.

Hope your throat feels better soon. That's no fun!

buckner
04-22-2005, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by luvofallhorses
Ice Cream will doctor it right up it did when I had strep if it doesn't get better go to the doctor, buckner same with you! :)
Just a note - if it IS Strep Throat, ice cream will not cure it. It's a bacteria that needs antibiotics to get rid of it. Doctors, depending on your insurance, will allow you to get a shot or 10-14 days worth of penicillian (sp?). If you're allergic to that medicine, they will obviously give you another kind, but it doesn't work as fast as penicillian does. If it's just a sore throat, then ice cream can help. :) Ice cream can help the symptoms, but it won't help the bacteria growing! If it persists, or you have a headache, stomach ache, or breathing problems, go to your doctor. Typically Strep Throat also comes with a sore throat, headaches, and stomach aches. I come from many many years of non-stop Strep Throat.

manda_moo87
04-22-2005, 06:37 PM
Thanks so much everyone for all your suggestions/info I really apprechiate it.

I'm not sure if its Strep Throat or not... I have a bad feeling it might be. If the pain continues I'll be going to the doctor but won't be able to until Monday. We'll see what happens I guess...