PDA

View Full Version : How do I decide if my pup needs obedience classes?

tricollie4me
04-21-2005, 04:43 PM
Bijou is a sweet pup and we adore her. She's silly and energetic, loving and mellow. However, despite my best efforts, in the 2-1/2 months since we adopted her (she's about six months old now), she still jumps up on everything/everyone, she still scrambles to get anyone's food directly from their plates, etc.

We're pretty consistent with training -- everyone in the house uses the same commands for the same behaviors -- but we're at a standstill with reducing some of the more difficult puppy habits!

Am I expecting too much, or is she simply in need of better direction?

Thanks for any feedback!

(Here's a quiet moment with both my littlest daughter and my sweet Bijou napping near one another!)
http://iblinkedyougrew.typepad.com/photos/everywhere_a_pup_pup/mb_and_bijou_nap_032805_2.JPG

finn's mom
04-21-2005, 04:48 PM
I think obedience classes are good for all puppies and all dogs. If for nothing else but the socialization. And, sometimes you can find inexpensive classes that the city will actually hold. It's good that you're consistent, but, sometimes just getting another's perspective can be beneficial. :) Good luck!

lizbud
04-21-2005, 05:36 PM
I think you are wise to question yourself on where you are in
the process of dog training. Sometimes just the extra time taken
in a class to give individual attention to the pup & get some
pointers from the instructor really helps move the process
forward. If you aren't seeing any progress at this point, it might
be time for someone else to observe the pup and critique the methods you are using.

LeahMM
04-21-2005, 05:53 PM
I agree with everyone here. Obedience classes are a must for all dogs. It's great for socializing your pup and it teaches you, as the handler, how to work with your dog.

Ginger's Mom
04-21-2005, 06:21 PM
It's funny I was going to respond to this, then I realized that the other ladies had already said what I would have said. I think that every dog should go to a dog obedience class the socialization is very important, and you have a trained, independant, objective observer watching you work with your dog. You almost can't go wrong in signing up for some sort of obedience class. (And in my opinion it is fun too to work with your puppy in a class of other puppies :)).

GoldenRetrLuver
04-21-2005, 06:52 PM
It would definitely be a good idea to enroll her in a basic obedience class. Young puppies (especially Collies) need to be socialized from the very beginning, and obedience classes are very helpful in that. It's also a great bonding experience, and it's very fun, too! Make sure you choose a trainer that you feel comfortable with (you agree with the types of training methods they use, etc.) It would also be a good idea to sit in on a class to see how everything works and goes, if you do decide to sign Bijou up for classes.

luvofallhorses
04-21-2005, 06:53 PM
I agree with LeahMM, good luck:)

bckrazy
04-22-2005, 01:17 AM
I agree with everyone :)! Obedience classes are great socialization for puppies, puppy play classes are also a must! You have a herding dog, they need ongoing mental stimulation through out their lives to be happy. . and getting her into Obedience now might *curb* the obnoxious teenager stage that is coming up!! It's way easier to re-inforce behaviors and training when she's an adult if she's been doing it all her life, and she needs to get used to being obedient when around other dogs/people/distractions. . so, ASAP is the best time to enroll Bijou in OB!! Even if she is a sweetheart ^_~

wolfsoul
04-22-2005, 01:35 AM
I feel that obedience classes are good for any dog. :) I think they are great for bonding and socialization. Not to mention the fact that most agility, flyball, etc, schools will not allow a dog that hasn't been to obedience classes. A certificate for obedience is a great credential to have.

gkristian
04-22-2005, 04:51 AM
i don't think i can add anything else. i agree with what everyone has said

tricollie4me
04-22-2005, 07:51 AM
Thanks -- I'll be looking into starting obedience classes soon with Bijou; I'm sure she'd have a blast and I know she needs more socialization. She grew up with her littermates and then was in rescue for several weeks with many other dogs, but that's no substitute for ongoing socialization with new dogs, people, etc. I'd love to be able to take her for a walk and have her sit
patiently as I meet up with neighbors, etc.

I know there are organizations in my county that offer obedience classes; however, I've seen the Petsmart folks do their classes and have talked to their trainers -- they seem very knowledgable and definitely understand the canine mind ;) Has anyone used Petsmart's trainers and been happy? It's certainly affordable ($100 for eight sessions)...(and I'd love to do agility or flyball with her someday!)

Thx for any new insight!

Ginger's Mom
04-22-2005, 09:12 AM
Ginger and I went through three classes at PetsMart. Umm, yes we were happy, but it is only the start. I also did it because the price was right. But one class is not enough. That may also be true in a quieter, more private school, I am not sure. It really depends on what you are looking for. For example, I decided to try Ginger in agility (which she seems to really like), but before I signed her up for her first agility class, I signed her up for a focus class (with the same school that does the agility) to make sure she could handle it. I will say that I thought the classes at PetsMart were a lot of fun. It is much more relaxed than at a more formal dog training school, and a I thought it was a great way to get introduced to the process.

Whatever you decide, I wish you good luck (I am sure you won't need it :)).

Dixieland Dancer
04-22-2005, 02:24 PM
A trained dog is a welcome addition to any family and community. Definitely take training classes. You will be amazed at the difference it makes in your pup!