PDA

View Full Version : I'm a little upset about Rosco's nueter!

catcrazylady
04-21-2005, 03:25 PM
I finally got a good look at the babies today. They hid and slept all of yesterday which was good and what they needed. Abigail woke me up at 4:00am wanting breakfast. I was so glad to see her up in the bed with me and acting perfectly normal. She is harboring no ill will towards me and that makes me feel better. Her incision is maybe an inch long and looks great. She is still a little lazy (good news) but otherwise doing great.

Rosco is the one that seemed to be having a problem. I was surprised because most of the time the males act like nothing ever happened. Once they sleep off the anesthesia they usually seem fine. I kept noticing that he would sit down very carefully and still acted like it hurt.:( Finally this afternoon he didn't run from me anymore and I got a good look at why he is in pain. His little cotton ball has been skinned!! I mean literally he has a layer of skin about a half an inch long missing from his little scrotum! It looks like the vet tech probably did it when she shaved him and it is scabby, bloody. Like severe razor burn!

Poor little guy can't hardly sit down!:( No wonder it hurts him. I don't know what to put on it because he will just lick it right off. Bless his heart. That dang old tech better get better with shaving or there won't be anything to remove when the vet gets to them! I'm really upset about this because it does look bad and it was unnecessary!
I'll try to get a picture later. He doesn't fully trust me yet and I can see why!:( :( :(

jenluckenbach
04-21-2005, 03:35 PM
Call the vet now and tell them you want a pain reliever and tell them WHY you are asking for it.

Just do it!

catnapper
04-21-2005, 03:37 PM
Jen's right! Poor little dude. That is unacceptable and you have every right to be upset.

catcrazylady
04-21-2005, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach
Call the vet now and tell them you want a pain reliever and tell them WHY you are asking for it.

Just do it!

Yes maam! ;) I would if I could. I had it done at the shelter and they are only there on Wednesday's for the spay/nueter clinic. I do have some pain medicine for Abigail and she doesn't seem to need it so I'm going to slip some in Rosco's dinner tonight. I will talk to the vet next Wednesday at the shelter about it.
Poor little guy. Here I was so worried about Abigail and they hurt my boy! It hurts me just looking at it. I can't imagine having to sit on it!:(

wolflady
04-21-2005, 03:46 PM
Poor Rosco! Jeesh, I've assisted with neuter surgeries before and I can't imagine how someone could have shaved it so hard like that! :eek: They really should be more careful. Poor thing! :(

I hope his little "bum area" feels better soon!

**hugs**

NoahsMommy
04-21-2005, 03:48 PM
OMG! Poor Rosco!!

I know mistakes happen, but that sounds like carelessness. :(

I would call the vet for some pain meds too.

Hugs to you and the patients.

Cinder & Smoke
04-21-2005, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by catcrazylady

I had it done at the shelter and
they are only there on Wednesday's for the spay/nueter clinic.

But SOMEbody knows WHO the Vet is (his Name) - and
for sure he has his own Clinic or works with other Vets -
you SHOULD be able to reach him before next week!

I'd be a lil <pushy> with the Shelter Folks and tell them you NEED to
talk to the Vet NOW!
If they ask "why?" - tell em! :mad:

/s/ Phred ..

Lacey
04-21-2005, 03:54 PM
Poor Rosco!

Phred's right! You should be able to get hold of someone who could get you in touch with the vet.

How could anyone be so careless with sweet Rosco's precious batonga-wongas? Give that little guy lots of kissies from me - just not on his boo-boo.

sandragonfly
04-21-2005, 04:04 PM
(!!?!) :( EITHER, the tech should have told you OR you tell them...! they had the balls to not be careful?! :confused: maybe can you try blob with cool soaked towel/paper? sorry, rosco! :(

catmandu
04-21-2005, 04:25 PM
There is no reason,for that,to happen,and for Roscoe,to be,in that much pain,means,that there is some pretty serious negligence! Neutering,should never ever ,ever involve that kind,of pain,to the cat,being altered! I would call,them,right away,and raise,more,than a little HELL!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/Mr.jpg

And we hope,that Roscoe,recovers soon!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/catphotos680.jpg

catcrazylady
04-21-2005, 04:32 PM
Ok guys you all are as upset as me! I'm glad to know that you all care that much.:)
Now the only reason I haven't called is because it isn't going to do any good right now. I already was sent home with twenty doses of liquid Ace so I have pain meds. If the vet tech did it then for all I know the vet already yelled at her. I will make sure that the vet hears from me. I know the vet and trust her completely so I don't have a problem talking to her. There just isn't much point in calling and having a fit right now when it can't be undone.:(
I got a picture (the best picture I could get anyway). I know it's not real clear but you can sure make out the raw spot. What does it look like to you all?

VERY GRAPHIC PICTURE OF NUETERED TESTICLES! IF YOU WILL BE OFFENDED PLEASE DON'T SCROLL DOWN.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid165/p250fa5c35935e21092d79a250bf6faf1/f4638c6d.jpg

K & L
04-21-2005, 04:35 PM
OMG! This poor little guy. Is there any other vet you can call and just explain the situation and get some advice? I'm sure he'll heal and be just fine, but maybe there's something you can apply to this to relieve him some.

Laura's Babies
04-21-2005, 04:43 PM
Awww! Lisa, I am crying!! That was so un necessary for him to have to be put throught that! Give him pain meds right NOW! Poor baby... I would be all over somebody like white on rice if that happened to one of mine!! No wonder he is staying out of sight.. Poor dahlin!!:mad:

catcrazylady
04-21-2005, 04:44 PM
I tried some pain relief Neosporin and he licked it right off. I figured that would happen but I tried.
He took the pain meds at dinner so he will be sleepy now. I know he will heal and it will be fine but I have just never seen any of my males look like this. Poor baby.
I will keep a good eye on it and make sure it scabs and heals good but I will be talking to the vet soon!
I can't tell if it's from shaving or not. I've just never seen one of my boys come home like this.

Freckles
04-21-2005, 04:57 PM
Can you make an e-collar for him so he can't lick for a few days? That might help.

RedHedd
04-21-2005, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Freckles
Can you make an e-collar for him so he can't lick for a few days? That might help. I agree, although he'll probably hate you for it but it's for his own good. The pain-relief Neosporin should help along with the pain meds -- poor little boybee! Gentle smooches.

catnapper
04-21-2005, 05:22 PM
My dearest Rosco,
Meowmie tells me that you are hurting after your trip to the whitecoats. Meowmie put one of those cone thingies on me. I hated it, but it did help me heal faster (because she knew I wouldn't keep the pain relief Neosporin on either.) I do hope you feel better soon. I saw the picture (I'm sorry I peeked at your nuggests :o ) and it looks mighty sore. Please be a good boy and listen to meowmie - whatever she tells you to do, just do it. ok?

If it helps, here's a picture of me in the cone thingie, that way you won't feel so bad in it if meowmie puts one on you!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/kasdesign/coneheadgirl.jpg

catcrazylady
04-21-2005, 05:26 PM
Oh Abby you are so cute in your cone! I didn't even think of a cone! DUH!!! I will try to get one tomorrow for him.
Thankfully he doesn't seem to be licking at it. As a matter of fact I have only seen him do it once or twice so that is good. I am going to have to have a cone though if I want to keep the Neosporin on it.

Thanks for that wonderful idea!!! Rosco doesn't thank you but I do.;) :D

Mad Mags Moo
04-21-2005, 05:34 PM
Poor wee man, what a rotten time the wee guy is having.....Hugs and kisses to him from me...get better soon!:)

kimlovescats
04-21-2005, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by catcrazylady
I tried some pain relief Neosporin and he licked it right off. I figured that would happen but I tried.
He took the pain meds at dinner so he will be sleepy now. I know he will heal and it will be fine but I have just never seen any of my males look like this. Poor baby.
I will keep a good eye on it and make sure it scabs and heals good but I will be talking to the vet soon!
I can't tell if it's from shaving or not. I've just never seen one of my boys come home like this.

That's exactly what I was going to suggest ... but I would still keep putting it on! It won't hurt him to lick it off! It might stay on better / longer while he is drugged with pain meds.

POOR BABY, that looks terrible!!!! :mad: :rolleyes: :( :(

QueenScoopalot
04-21-2005, 06:10 PM
That looks so painful! Are you sure it's not the incision line where they cut into his testicles? It is a bit hard to make out in the picture, but it looks so uncomfortable. I agree E-collar time, and ointment to help heal it quicker, and tell those vet techs to get with it! :rolleyes: Looks like he was shaved down with a rusty razor. :( Glad you have pain meds on hand, as it sounds like Rosco needs it more than Abigail right now. ;)

Soapets
04-21-2005, 06:13 PM
OMG, that looks absolutely AWFUL!:eek: :mad: :( Poor little Rosco! I've never had a male cat to have this done to, but will be going through the neutering process with Shadow sometime in the future. Now I'm really worried about it. NO little kitty should ever have to go through something like that! I sure hope he heals quickly, and can get back to his little bratty self fairly soon! He'll be in my prayers!

furrykidsmother
04-21-2005, 06:13 PM
The poor little Angel. My heart breaks for him. I am certain that you will take care of him and he will get better, but please let them know what they have done. He shouldn't have to suffer like that. I would be pretty upset at who ever was responsible. At least he has a loving and understanding Meowmie that will take care of him. Hugs to comfort him and help him understand that you are helping to get him better. Hope he is healed real soon.

elminster20
04-21-2005, 06:51 PM
My boys are cowering under the bed after seeing that picture!!! Poor little fella, I hope he heals really quickly and can play like he used too!!!

sirrahbed
04-21-2005, 07:03 PM
:( oh my!!! Poor little Rosco!! That picture looks awful.

Mine have not had any shaving done - they came home with surgical glue and I could not even SEE the incision line and would never had known anything had even been done - nothing!! Do you suppose the top layer of skin is coming loose Lisa?? It rather looks like that to me. In that case - I would call the shelter and TELL them the VET needs to know - honestly I would. There is no need for him to be in pain or to look like that.:mad:

catcrazylady
04-21-2005, 07:13 PM
I am sending that picture to the shelter director now. I'm going to see what hse has to say.

I think it is the incision line but I don't think anything is coming loose. I looked at it and it is not opening up or anything. I'm not sure what the heck happened! It looks like a razor burn kind of thing. Where just the top layer of skin is missing.
I hate to traumatize him more by dragging him back up there if the only thing they are going to do is apologize and tell me to put ointment on it. I already know that! I am keeping a close eye on it and I will watch for any signs of an opening incision or infection.
I'll let you all know what the director says when she responds.
The last time I saw Rosco he was chasing bugs so I think he's feeling better now. I hope it's one of those things that looks worse than it is!

jazzcat
04-21-2005, 07:19 PM
OUCH! I saw stars for a second, I bet I would be out cold if I were a male. Geez! That looks so painful.

Hope he feels better soon. Poor little Rosco!

rg_girlca
04-21-2005, 07:20 PM
Quoted by catcrazylady
There just isn't much point in calling and having a fit right now when it can't be undone.

I'm sorry Lisa, but I have to disagree with you on that comment.
You HAVE to find out what happened to your poor baby. That just is not right.

I think I can safely say that we are equally as upset about this as you are.

((((((HUGS)))))) to you Lisa and gentle sweet kisses to Rosco.

Edit: Lisa, we were obviously posting at the same time. I'm glad to hear that Rosco is playing a bit. That is encouraging.
I am elated that you sent a picture to the director. I know it can't be undone, but lets hope that this doesn't ever happen to another baby.

kittycats_delight
04-21-2005, 07:25 PM
MY SWEET GOD!!!! Whoever did that should get a swift kick. There was really no need for that type of incompetence. I think maybe the collar would be a good idea when my Lilith was spayed she popped her stitches and had to be restitched and HAD to wear a collar. At least if Rosco wears a collar for a couple of days you will be able to get something on there and him not lick it off. Give it a extra nudge towards healing quicker. Poor baby.

catcrazylady
04-21-2005, 07:43 PM
Honestly guys I am going to talk to the vet! I swear! I just didn't see a point in going crazy right this minute and traumatizing Rosco by dragging him back up there only to be told to do what I'm doing.
I knew the director was out today so I waited until now to send the picture. If she is in contact with the vet tonight she will share this with her and I will get info.

You guys should know that I will not let this go. They will hear about it and I will get an apology at least. That's not gonna help poor Rosco though and that is all I'm worried about right now. Yelling at the vet or vet tech is not my main concern right this minute. I really wanted to know what you all thought happened and if looked as bad to you as it did to me. None of my boys looked like that before but I thought maybe some of you had experienced something like this.

I will keep everyone updated on the directors response.

christa
04-21-2005, 07:57 PM
Awww . . . my poor Rosco!

That is really strange . . . I know when Brodie got neutered, the only place they shaved was a tiny bit *behind* his bits, LOL . . . they didn't actually shave the bits!!! :eek: Plus, I couldn't even see an incision, the way they stitched it up. It was just swollen for a day or so . . .

I'm glad you're going to follow up with this! No, it won't help Rosco BUT it might help another kitty! Somebody needs to be a little more careful with the razor (assuming that's what this is).

Give Rosco KISSES from his Auntie Christa!!! He's still a special kitty boy to me! Stole my heart in the very beginning!!!

:)

jenluckenbach
04-21-2005, 08:17 PM
We are a pushy lot, aren't we?? :rolleyes: :D:D

catmandu
04-21-2005, 08:17 PM
Poor Rosco,we are sending Sibad Angel,George Angel,and Lester Angel,all CatmandusBoyhood Cats,Arch Angels,in the Pet Talker Angel Army,and Mrs Tweedle,thier Guardian,to visit you,to see,if they can ease your pain.Thats horible,whta those White Coats,did to you! And we hope,that you will be all well soon.

Cinder & Smoke
04-21-2005, 09:15 PM
You could MAKE an "imatation" E-collar for tonight! ;)

Smokey (the Dawg) came back from the Big Snip wearing a Rigid Plastic
*WIDE* collar which fit rather <snugly> around his neck
and fit between the base of his skull (top of his neck) down to
his shoulders (bottom of his neck.

Result was he could NOT "turn his neck/head" - but there was nothing
"hanging out" for him to bump into things.
Totally ruled out him getting "back there" with his mouth!

Point Being -
Get some thin Cardboard - maybe a frozen dinner box...

CUT it into a long "strip" - the proper width to go around his neck
and taking up the full lenght of his neck...

WIND it around his neck - <SNUGLY> - but let him *breathe* ...
Should go around his neck almost twice to be "stiff" enough.

Then TAPE it to itself so it won't unwind ...

Walla - "Hard Collar" which "ought to" prevent him from turning his hear/heck
enough to to da any *lickin* "back there".

They make and sell these things - but I CAN'T find a darn picture;
and can't remember the Brand Name on the one Smokey used.

Good Luck!!

/s/ Phred

catcrazylady
04-21-2005, 10:35 PM
I apologize if I sounded angry but I have repeatedly said that I will let them know. I'm angry too but some understanding has to go to the shelter environment. If it was a shaving incident then they may not even know who did it if it was a volunteer.
The spay/nueter clinic is a virtual assembly line! There are animals everywhere in all stages of pre surgery, surgery, and post surgery. Many people doing many things all at once so that is why I don't know what happened. It is NOT ACCEPTABLE but it's not like you can make a phone call to the vet and they can yell at an assistant. Know what I mean? Who the heck knows who did what! That is why this has to be handled a little differently. I will let them know and they will watch more carefully who does what. They do this so much that sometimes things get a little lax and this will put them back on their toes. I'm just sorry it had to be Rosco but since I volunteer there it may have more impact since it was me and help prevent this from happening again. I haven't heard from the director yet but I will let you know when I do.

Rosco is doing great! He was burning up the carpet and hardwood a few minutes ago chasing Leroy and Pete so some things are returning to normal. He doesn't look nearly as raw as earlier so hopefully the Neosporin is helping.

Thanks to everyone for the caring comments and concern. I feel the same way but I hope I have explained a little better as to why a simple phone call won't take care of this. I will make sure that EVERYONE involved is aware. You can be darn sure of that!

Phred, if a collar still looks necessary tomorrow I may just try to make one of those! Thanks for the instructions.

kimlovescats
04-21-2005, 11:39 PM
Lisa... glad to hear that Rosco has bounced right back. Good 'ole Neosporin!!!;)

krazyaboutkatz
04-22-2005, 01:25 AM
Lisa, I'm so sorry that Rosco was cut/nicked like this:( but I'm so glad to hear that he's doing well now.:D Please keep us updated about his condition and about what the shelter has to say about poor little Rosco.

jenluckenbach
04-22-2005, 04:59 AM
Lisa, I wish more people could handle things as calmly as you. :D

catcrazylady
04-22-2005, 07:20 AM
She replied with this.

Lisa,

I think Roscoe might have had some drainage following his neuter. It looks to me like some cat litter may have stuck to him and when he tried to pull it off he took a little skin with it. Cats aren't usually shaved when they are neutered they are usually plucked (ouch). He looks much too red. Please do watch for infection. Try to pick the litter out of the incision line if you see any and let me know if you see any yellow discharge from the wound. We will get him on antibiotics right away.

Barb

She could be right for all I know. If he did have drainage and it stuck to him then he could have pulled some skin off when he cleaned himself. I'm not really sure what happened but at least they know. Since it wasn't a shaving thing then that would only leave the vet making a mistake. I have seen her work for several years now and I have never seen anything shoddy come from her but anything is possible. I'll keep an eye on him and make sure nothing gets infected.

He is bouncing around like a little nut case this morning and sitting doesn't seem to bother him now so it must not hurt as much. Thank Goodness! Poor baby.

Jen, I'm not patient or calm most of the time. This wasn't life threatening and I know that when dealing with the shelter a little patience is better. You have to wait until you can find someone to talk too!!! ;) :D

smokey the elder
04-22-2005, 07:44 AM
Poor Rosco! I hope you feel better!

Maya & Inka's mommy
04-22-2005, 08:01 AM
OMG, just noticed this thread...!
Poor Rosco!!
I am glad you finally talked to the vet-office; now you know better what to do with Rosco.
No offence, Lisa, but if that would happen to one of my cats, I wouldn't wait for this vet to listen to me, I'd rush to another vet asasp... . Of course, I always panic to soon...:rolleyes: :D

QueenScoopalot
04-22-2005, 08:04 AM
OUCH!!! :eek: They pluck them? :eek: Glad to hear Rosco's starting to feel better now, and hope he heals up fast now. Certainly not much you can do aside from what you've done, and are doing.;) Geeshh..did they think he had a chicken stuck back there? :rolleyes:

NKBurlington
04-22-2005, 08:30 AM
I just noticed this thread!

I hope the little guy is doing better. I'm sure the vet meant no harm and it was an honest mistake or maybe it was the litter as she suggested. I guess there is no way of knowing.

Kisses to you and Rosco!