PDA

View Full Version : how did you get into dogs?

lute
04-20-2005, 11:39 PM
i was just wondering how everyone got into dogs.

i've always been into dogs because the town i lived in had so many stray dogs. litterally everyone called it DogTown because there were so many strays. the dogs in this town were considerd a nuisance. and when they became too much a nuisance people took matters into their own hands. before i was 11 yrs old i saw dogs shot, hit by cars on purpose, hit with hammers, kicked, and anything else you can think of.

one of the most memorable times was when i was walking home from school i saw a man litterally cut the belly open of his LIVE dog. i screamed at him and he ran off. when i got to the dog she was dead.:( there was blood everywhere and from that moment on i told myself i was going to help the dogs of this town.

i've got the town to pass a law saying that each dog has to either be on a lead or contained somehow. they also have to have ID tags and rabies shots. the part i am still working on is how they PTS these dogs that don't have owners. the town can't offord the stuff to put them down so they shoot them. my grandpa is one of the big guys of the town board and said they havn't had to put down too many dogs.

LuckiLab03
04-20-2005, 11:52 PM
That is sooooooo sad. I really wish I could help dogs like that.. I want to get a shelter dog, but I get a huge "no way. i don't want to talk about it." from both parents.

I've always been obsessed with dogs ever since I was little.. I begged and begged my dad until he broke down when I was in 6th grade. I made cakes asking him in frosting, post it notes everywhere, etc.. "can we get a dog" was said about 50 times a day. When I finally got Brookie, it was the happiest day of my life.. to have my own dog finally.

That's my story, not too interesting, but I can't live without a dog from now on. They mean the world to me, as do everybody elses. Once you get "into dogs," it's impossible to get out.

Kfamr
04-20-2005, 11:57 PM
They took over my brain.

Really, there's an easy explanation... If you're not "into" dogs, you're crazy. I'm completely sane.

lute
04-21-2005, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by Kfamr
They took over my brain.

Really, there's an easy explanation... If you're not "into" dogs, you're crazy. I'm completely sane.
haha! i agree 100%!!!!

binka_nugget
04-21-2005, 12:20 AM
I remember the exact moment.

I was really young (probably close to 4 or 5). I was crying over something and wouldn't stop, no matter what my mom said. She finally asked something along the lines of "Fine, what do you want? Anything?" I stopped crying to think but I couldn't think of anything so I continued to cry and whine. When I stopped crying, I thought of dogs and I've been hooked ever since.

Giselle
04-21-2005, 01:46 AM
Who knows? Been watching Westminster and the Euk Tournament of Champions since I learned that that first button on the right means "turn on the TV" :p I'd stick my face against the window whenever we drove past dogs. My love of animals has been engraved into my mind since who knows when. It just was.

I finally got my poopsie, Lucky, due to an impulse buy from a BYB. He hooked me onto Pekes. Gis came last summer, after years of extensive research (and whining). I know so much more now than I did back then. I'm retracing my steps and trying to go about raising her the "right way". Hopefully, we'll add another Peke soon, and this time, it's going to be a show potential.

gemini9961
04-21-2005, 03:15 AM
I've always been an animal lover and had cats growing up..we had 2 dogs when I was little, but they weren't MINE..when I moved out with my boyfriend we got a dog 2 months later and now we have 2 and I can not imagine life without them. I've just always been an animal lover.

chocolatepuppy
04-21-2005, 05:03 AM
We always had dogs and cats growing up (and assorted other animals) so it is just in me I guess! Can't imagine life without! :D

slleipnir
04-21-2005, 06:19 AM
I've always been around dogs. So I guess I've just always loved them

petslover
04-21-2005, 06:54 AM
I always had dogs and other animals my entire life. So its part of me to have a pet.

DogLover9501
04-21-2005, 07:46 AM
Well my mom bought Muffin(Pomeranian) when I was 6 months old, she grew up with me until we were both around 13.

I also got my black lab pup at 7-8 years old.

I don't think I ever had a choice :p :D

IRescue452
04-21-2005, 07:58 AM
A little toy called puppy in my pocket, which became a childhood obsession collecting all the breeds. Then I got into learning about every breed I could. Then I got into rescuing when I was a little older, maybe 9, and witnessed a neighbor hitting his dog with a shovel so I called the police and he never hit the dog again after they came to his house. And then I was hooked.

lv4dogs
04-21-2005, 08:13 AM
I'm not really sure what caused me to be into dogs as much as I am. Litterally ever since I can remember I have been inoot dogs big time. I guess doggy was like the 3rd word I spoke & we didn't have a dog!

When I was little I used to pretend that I was a dog. I had to drink out of a water bowl, wear a collar the whole nine. Yup, embarassing to admit but true.

cloverfdx
04-21-2005, 08:31 AM
Lute i am so sorry you had to witness those barbaric acts :(.

I made cakes asking him in frosting,
Hehe that is so "sweet" ;).

Hmm well i guess it all started when i was around 13 or 14 and i spent the next few years begging and pleading until the parentals caved in, well Mum was all for it, it was just the "other" that we needed to convince.

I was told by the tricks class instuctor at dog club that Clover was going to have a go at Flyball one night and she clicked (She was NOT a ball dog), we have been playing flyball for about 3 1/2 years now and i would never have thoght about bringing a Border Collie into my life BF (Before Flyball lol).

Also i am dog sport obsessed, and "need" to try them all ;).

GoldenRetrLuver
04-21-2005, 08:32 AM
I've always loved animals, especially dogs, even when I was just a little kid. I've been around animals my whole life. My first word was "dog". My grandma used to have a Golden Retriever named Maddy (where my obsession with the breed started), and my parents told me that when I was little, they would buy me dog books and I would flip through the pages to find the Golden Retriever, and I would point to it and smile. This was before I got my first dog, Toto, a mini Dachshund. When Toto passed away at a young age due to a "slipped disk", a couple of years later I started bugging my parents for another dog. I would make signs that had dogs on them and stick them in every room of the house, constantly pester them about it, etc. Finally, they gave in and we got Molly, and then around a year after that we got Daisy.

I'm with Kay. They've pretty much taken over my brain. :p I've got tons of dog posters and pictures hung up all over my room, I have blankets with dogs on them, I have folders with my dog's pictures on them, I have pens and pencils with dogs on them, I'm constantly researching up on dog care and different breeds, and just about anything else you could possibly think of. I'm known as "the dog girl" in my entire family.

And you know, I wouldn't change a thing. :D

cloverfdx
04-21-2005, 08:35 AM
I'm with Kay. They've pretty much taken over my brain.
Me too! :D

cali
04-21-2005, 09:05 AM
lol well I always had pets but no dogs till I was 8, we always had birds before that, well, my dad had wanted a dog and my mom had always had shelties in the past, my naighbor knew that so when he found a little sheltie mix puppy in the ally, and he could not keep her(my naighbores were crazy too, they had like 20 cats and 8 dogs, but all the dog exept for dixie were huge) well my dad was the only one home, the rest of use were in kelowna, and he took shadow in, took her to work with him every day, built her a dog house, got her a leash and dishes etc.. so we came home from vacation to a dog lol and from then on I was hooked, when I wanted my own dog my dad said I could when I was older, when I was 13 I decided I was older lol and started begging and pleading, I got Happy and because of her we got into dogsports, wich is our reason for all the other dogs lol

Tollers-n-Dobes
04-21-2005, 09:32 AM
I've had dogs ever since I was born, I don't remember I time at all that I haven't had any dogs. lol when I was younger my grandparents thought I was too obsessed with dogs because instead of dolls, like most young girls have I had stuffed dogs all over my room!

k9krazee
04-21-2005, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by lv4dogs
When I was little I used to pretend that I was a dog. I had to drink out of a water bowl, wear a collar the whole nine[/B]

lol, I did the same thing, my parents didn't want a dog so me and my brothers and sister used to do it ALL the time, then when I was about 8 my Aunt took me to my first agility show and I got to hang out with her and her dogs and I was hooked, from then on I have wanted to train dogs and do agility...and 5 dogs later I still haven't gotten to do agility...:( But dogs are my life just the same! We only had a cat before the dogs and we only got her because I kept bugging my mom for a pet...my mom reminds me everyday that I'm the reason that we have a housefull and when I leave she is not getting anymore :rolleyes: right...

lute
04-21-2005, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by lv4dogs
When I was little I used to pretend that I was a dog. I had to drink out of a water bowl, wear a collar the whole nine. Yup, embarassing to admit but true.
i did the same thing! my dog food was soem sort of cereal. i remember quite well my mom telling me to stop barking at passing cars.:D :o

i showed my mom your post and she said "wow, there are more people like you!":rolleyes:

luvofallhorses
04-21-2005, 10:46 AM
I was raised with them :D I will NEVER Have a house without a dog :)

lv4dogs
04-21-2005, 11:46 AM
Phew, glad I'm not the only one that acted like a dog. (My nephew does it, he's 2, and he has a dog)

And yes I had cereal for dog food, cherios & rice crispies usually.

cali
04-21-2005, 11:54 AM
did the same thing! my dog food was soem sort of cereal.

lol so did I, I usually used nesquik as it looks like kibble lol I would take 2 bowls, one full of nesquike and another full of some drink er rather and drink my pop or whatever by lapping it up lol and sticking my face in the bowl to eat the cerial :p lol I at dogfood too sometimes back when I only had shadow lol I would take a handful of her food, put it on the coffee table and eat it lol I think it was when Happy was young, her crate was beside my bad, my bed had head and foot boards, the side was againt a wall and the kennel was on the open side, so I would open the door out to form a gate to my bed and use beads as a lock, then I would put dogs in my "kennel" and prentend I was a little kid busting them out of the pound :o the bad part? I was 13! lol

jennifert9
04-21-2005, 12:47 PM
I've always loved dogs....don't really remember it "starting" though. When I was young, most of my relatives had dogs. We would visit and I would spend the whole time playing with the dogs and not talking to the family! :D
And when they visited us, the would always bring the dogs for me to play with. When I was 5, my parents got me a cocker spaniel named Dandy for my birthday. We had him for a week and in that time, he dragged me down a hill on my knees (Yes, I was too stupid and scared to just let go!:o ) and bit everyone in the family except me. When he bit my 2 year old sister, my mom had enough and brought him back to the breeder we got him from. We didn't get another dog until I was 10.
I used to go to the neighbor's houses and ask to walk their dogs. I'm sure they loved that, I would walk around the neighborhood for hours with the poor things! Most of them were big dogs but one of them was a dachsund that I almost walked the legs right off!! :eek: ;)

Kfamr
04-21-2005, 02:08 PM
My friend Courtney and I used to act like dogs. One of us would be the owner and the other would be the dog. We'd feed eachother Kix Cereal and ice water, put eachother in Simba's crate when we were "bad", and took eachother for walks. :rolleyes:

CathyBogart
04-21-2005, 02:08 PM
When I was about eleven, my father and I were driving by a pet store that was having an adoption out front, and I begged him to let me look around for awhile. He dropped me off, and I saw a white pit bull mix that melted my heart. The rescue let me sit in his pen and brush him for probably an hour, and I was just gone. We didn't adopt that big lug, but we got Star a few months later.

bckrazy
04-21-2005, 02:22 PM
I have grown up with dogs. . . no one in my family is quite as obsessed with them as I am :)

I have always loved BC's, I remember when we went to adopt a dog from the shelter when I was 5 and my sisters wanted an old Golden Retriever, but I wanted the BC/Aussie so we got our little Bingo. he was the best dog ever ^_~

Suki Wingy
04-21-2005, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
They took over my brain.

So 100% true!

Lute, that is so awful! I think I would be driven literally to insanity if I had seen that! OMG:eek: :mad: :( :(