PDA

View Full Version : Help.......My dog just swallowed

carlg
04-20-2005, 07:44 PM
An Ice cream stick….took it right out of my hand and swallowed stick and all in one piece.

Didn’t even chew it…just swallowed it whole…

She seems to be ok….I’m assuming it went right into her stomach.

I’m sure this is not good, but does anybody know if it will come out on its own or should I get medical attention now.

She’s a 70 lb 3 yr old mutt in good health…

Thank in advance
Carl

Logan
04-20-2005, 08:01 PM
I think I would call the vet for advice, just to be on the safe side. It could cause a problem in her intestines, I would think and you'll want to be sure that it passes. I'd call.........

I hope she's going to be just fine. Good luck.

Logan

CagneyDog
04-20-2005, 08:08 PM
Uh Oh :eek:

I agree with Logan, get some vet advice! I hope he will be okay!

carlg
04-20-2005, 08:08 PM
Thanks for the reply Logan and Cagney

K9soul
04-20-2005, 08:17 PM
As the others said, a call to the vet for at least any advice might be a good idea. Perhaps something like giving her some bread or canola oil will help coat it and let it pass through easier. At least it's blunt and not sharp, so hopefully it'll pass all the way through without any problem. Your dog sounds large enough that there probably won't be any problems, but I'd watch closely the next couple days for sure to make sure she passes stool and that there is no blood in it.

My golden, Tommy, once ate and passed an entire dish rag. We didn't even know he got ahold of it or that he ate it. We just found the thing in his waste and that's how we realized what happened. :eek: Hope this helps and gives you some reassurance.

carlg
04-20-2005, 08:35 PM
Thanks K9...just talked to the Vet and he said about the same thing as you. It was a Dove bar, so it was a short stick only bout 2.5 long with very round edges... I'll keep checking her thru the night...... Like the rest of you guys...thats my baby!!...to bad they can't talk..would make things much easier...lol....To bad they don't listen either..that would make things even easier..lol
Thanks again all
I'm out

jackie
04-21-2005, 03:28 PM
I am sure you pupper will be fine, just keep a close eye on her. One of my friends had the exact same thing happen to her GSD mix. The dog had no problem passing it at all, but my friend sure had a scary couple of hours!

When Tito was about 4 months old he swallowed a pair of socks and had to have surgery to have them removed. then a week later he swallowed another one!!! :eek: Thank god he threw it up, or else i would have been out another 300 euros! LOL

finn's mom
04-26-2005, 11:18 AM
How did everything go with your dog? Did she pass the stick?

luvofallhorses
04-27-2005, 09:30 PM
Yeah, what finn's mom said:) PLEASE keep us updated!