PDA

View Full Version : Anyone been through this? RE: Friend's elder cat

QueenScoopalot
04-20-2005, 06:38 PM
My friend and neighbor Barbara, who has many of my rescues as her own, has an elderly (maybe 17, but age not known) cat who's been having some problems. "Darling" was declawed, and very shy when he was surrendered to the shelter years back, but the last few months he's had a voracious appetite, and thyroid tests both came back as neg. One in vets office, and another sent out to lab. He eats at least a can of food each meal, and then some, and will gobble up anything he can find. Barbara always has loads of food available all day long, wet and dry, but Darling is insatiable. Doctor said it was a brain tumor, but no tests were done for that, as $$ is non-existant for much more than a thyroid check. Barbara just called me, and is now concerned that emaciated Darling is losing his fur in patches everywhere. This has come on suddenly. Any ideas, or similar stories? :confused: My hunch is glandular, but Barbara is having a tough time making ends meet (financially) to do extensive testing to see, and Darling is a VERY hard cat to do anything to! :rolleyes:

TopCat3
04-21-2005, 08:51 AM
I've heard cats can suddenly start going "down" very quickly at this age. Worries me as one of my precious girls is 16. Insatiable appetite and losing fur in patches?- yes, I agree could be glandular, but before looking for complex stuff could it be as simple as a bad case of a gut parasite? I'm not keen on worming preparations but a gentle one might be worth a try? Before spending precious $$ that might be needed later, narrow down with the least expensive options first (if she hasn't already done so, that is...) Good wishes to themXXX

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-21-2005, 09:23 AM
Hmmm....unfortunately I have no idea. My first reaction was thyroid also, but since that has been ruled out.....

Did they do regular blood testing? I know they tested for the thyroid, but what about all the other levels? That might help point them in a certain direction at least.

Unfortunately, since the money is not there for extensive testing, it probably wouldn't be there for expensive treatment either, and she might just have to face that fact that Darling's long life may be coming to an end. :( There is nothing wrong with that - 17 is a good long life for a cat. Tell her to just make Darling as comfortable as possible, cherish every moment with him, and if he wants a can of food an hour - give it to him. ;)

AbbyMom
04-21-2005, 12:39 PM
I think TopCat3 has a good suggestion.

Does her cat go outside? My RB tiger developed a voracious appetite and lost weight after a "guest" decided that cats belonged outdoors and let him out. He then got a tapeworm.

QueenScoopalot
04-21-2005, 04:04 PM
Being declawed, Darling has been strictly indoors for a number of years now, and Barbara has wormed them often enough, and is the type to notice if any of her furkids had worms. I know how hard this guy is to even put into a carrier, and getting blood from him usually means the doc loses more than the cat does. :eek: :rolleyes: I think as long as his appetite stays good, and he seems content, then maybe nature should just take it's inevitable course. Darling could well be nearer to 20, so stressing him out with tests at his age may send him over the edge. And getting meds into him is not possible anyway. He fights tooth (and more tooth..seeing as he's declawed) :( I think he's at that age where when he stops eating, or shows signs of decline, he'll be held by Barbara, and kissed over to the Bridge. :(

catmandu
04-21-2005, 04:15 PM
Rb Mr Scrappy,had a spell,where he was eating everything,in sight,and had licked his stomach,and back legs,completely clean,With Mr Scrappy,it was his tyhroid,that had gone crazy!If this,is not thyroid,or a tapeworm,I read,where sometimes Older Cats,will get through periods,of binge eating,out of feelings,of insecurity.They get afraid,that the food,will vanish,if they dont eat it,first.I hope,that Darling,gets better.17,is not that old.Smokey,was that old when I adopted him,and he lived to 23.And he,occcasionally,would eat ,all the Food,in the house,too!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/Mr.jpg

Denyce
04-22-2005, 08:10 AM
It is possible that it is diabetes. Do you know anyone that has diabetes and would be willing to test his blood? It isn't difficult...especially if the cat can be easily handled. We used a paw pad..you have to experiment by making the tester needle as short as possible and increasing length till you get a drop of blood. You really don't need much.

You could take him to the vet to test but you can also do it at home to save money.

Denyce

QueenScoopalot
04-22-2005, 08:31 AM
I don't know any diabetic hoomans, but Barbara's had diabetic cats in the past, and usually is good about detecting the 'tell tail'' acetone smell on the cat's breath. The vet is getting her all alarmed by insising it's a 'brain tumor', and that he may have seizures over the weekend. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Darling's been losing weight for some time now, and can easily consume 6-7 cans of wet food each day, and more, but I can't see how fur loss all of a sudden = brain tumor.:confused: It sounds to me as though Dr. Tom is pushing her to leting him go. My opinion is if he's still eating, and seems content, to not get drastic like that! Barb calculated that he's much closer to 20 years old anyway...how much longer does the old guy have? Let him enjoy eating her out of house, and home, and go from there. ;)

cyber-sibes
05-05-2005, 09:56 PM
Wow, I just read this and it's so similar to the question I just posted on "Question about my geriatric cat"--
My 17 yr old cat just had blood tests - no problems with thyroid or diabetes, but he's lost weight like crazy over the winter (went from 16 lbs. to 9!) - doc says his kidneys are sluggish, so we're giving him fluids every couple days --- and he just started pulling his fur out in tufts!!! I don't have any idea why or how to stop him- sounds like maybe an old-age thing?

QueenScoopalot
05-06-2005, 05:57 AM
I wonder if it's some sort of feline dementia? Darling hasn't been seen pulling his own fur out, unless Barbara hasn't noticed he's self plucking. I haven't seen him in a while, but she says he looks awful, but is eating upwards of 6-7 cans of food a day! :eek: :eek: And grabbing her food when he gets a chance. It's all very strange sounding. :confused: I don't think she'd be able to do fluids on him..he's very fractious. :rolleyes: