PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody have a service dog?

wildmind
04-20-2005, 11:56 AM
Hi:
I'm in a wheelchair and have a service dog. I wonder if anybody else has a service dog.

I have no idea which one of the forums I should post in.

This is a pretty fancy forum.:)

elizabethann
04-20-2005, 03:33 PM
Welcome aboard. Try posting in Dog General. You may have a better response. I for one don't have a service dog. It's the opposite - I serve him. :D

Good luck.

:)

pitc9
04-21-2005, 07:45 AM
WELCOME to PetTalk!

I do not have a service dog, but I work in the mobility industry and we always have customers here at my office having work done on their wheelchair acessible vans, and I always get to meet service dogs. I would love to somehow get involved with the training of service dogs, they are such a God sent for so many people.

Do you have any pictures??

Corinna
04-21-2005, 07:52 AM
Welcome !!!! I grew up in MV graduated in 1979. I have a springer who has trained himself as an alert dog for my diabeties. you can pm me so we can share more info on MV if you want.

jennifert9
04-22-2005, 07:21 PM
Duncan my dog has appointed himself as my service dog...he seems to feel I am unable to protect myself from small animals, bicycles and people carrying umbrellas! ;) I would love to hear more about you and your dog...I am fascinated by service dogs, they are so smart and well-behaved and dedicated, amazing!
I've always thought that having a service dog would not only be helpful for the person who owns him by providing capabilites that they are currently unable to do for themselves, but also in meeting and getting to know new people....it seems that the dogs often take the focus off the person and their disability and put the focus on the dog in a way...maybe less unintentional discrimination and more questions and attention to the dog? Have you noticed this? Please tell us more and Welcome to Pet Talk!! :D

IRescue452
04-23-2005, 09:22 AM
Autumn was going to be registered as a service dog for PTSD but we haven't yet.