PDA

View Full Version : OK, who is Deaf? (not the pet, the owner only)

Accord
04-19-2005, 10:39 PM
Hey I wanted to have sort of like a poll but where I can see if theres any deaf people on here. Cause this is a huge world, so I was curious to know if there was any.

*Gina, I know you are one of them :-D

Karen
04-19-2005, 10:54 PM
I am half deaf - I have no hearing at all in my right ear, after acoustic neuroma surgery ten years ago. That ear does work however, in holding up my glasses! I hear well enough in my left ear to cope in most situations, but I cannot tell where any noise comes from. All sound originates on my left!

luckies4me
04-19-2005, 10:58 PM
I am very hard of hearing in my left ear and have a hard time understanding people sometimes. They get annoyed with me when I constantly ask them to repeat something. :rolleyes: But, I hear fine with my right ear. :)

Accord
04-20-2005, 02:09 AM
That's cool.
Im profoundly deaf-I dont hear anything. I wear a hearing aide so I can hear things. but when it comes to going to bed, ahhh taking that hearing aide out, Im out to sleep. Its nice and quite for me. But I do agree w/ Luckies4Me that everyone gets annoyed that they have to repeat word after word.

sandragonfly
04-20-2005, 02:32 AM
*raising my hand* :)
about a few years ago I've asked that same question and no one is profoundly deaf here...yet. just a few that can't hear in this side, but another, like karen, the mayor. and a lot of them do know fingerspellings or at least some signs! just you and me now. unless someone missed my old thread.

how did you became deaf? or along with birth?

sandragonfly
04-20-2005, 02:35 AM
oh and hearing aids never helped me in any way though.. isn't that "profoundly" deaf by the way?

mina'smomma
04-20-2005, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by Karen
I am half deaf - I have no hearing at all in my right ear, after acoustic neuroma surgery ten years ago. That ear does work however, in holding up my glasses! I hear well enough in my left ear to cope in most situations, but I cannot tell where any noise comes from. All sound originates on my left!

I'm right there with Karen. I lost the hearing in my right ear when I was sixteen. I had severe lamprinthitis. My left ear copes for the loss though.

Accord
04-23-2005, 04:32 PM
I have had my hearing done, and it shows im profoundly deaf. I was born that and considered a skpped generation for having a cluf palate. But I think God has given me a special gift, "Broken Ears" Its fixable, you know how you have 2 little bones in your ears to viberate when the sound travles into the ear canel? Well Mine is far apart and It wont pick up sound. The hearing aide is programed to recieve high and low sounds so that the bones will viberate when a sound is made. Now to cure it, simple knock me out on laughing gas and take my hair strand, just one hair strand, and wrap it around the bones and then sew me up and walla, I can hear. But I thought about it, Nah, being deaf is being special.

Freckles
04-23-2005, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Karen
I am half deaf - I have no hearing at all in my right ear, after acoustic neuroma surgery ten years ago. That ear does work however, in holding up my glasses! I hear well enough in my left ear to cope in most situations, but I cannot tell where any noise comes from. All sound originates on my left! This is me, except for the reason for the hearing loss.

The last 15 years working, I wore cross over hearing aids which helped me hear what was said on my right side.

wolfsoul
04-23-2005, 07:59 PM
I have good hearing, except sometimes one of my ears will suddenly stop hearing anything for a few seconds, and then I get this high pitched beeping sound. It's very annoying.

luvofallhorses
04-23-2005, 10:03 PM
I used to have good hearing now when people whisper I cannot hear :rolleyes: and it ANNOYS me.

bckrazy
04-24-2005, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by luvofallhorses
I used to have good hearing now when people whisper I cannot hear :rolleyes: and it ANNOYS me.

you should try going to the doctor and having them drain your ears. . it is gross, but my doctor did that after I had a bad ear infection, and I could hear a pin drop. It was scary :p

Vette
04-24-2005, 04:42 AM
I have no problems with hearing. but my dad is very hard of hearing. i learned to raise my voice while talking to him so he can hear better.

my grandma went totally deaf about 10 years ago. shes 85 years old. she used hearing aids for a long time,, but thsoe no longer help her.

cookieluver7
04-24-2005, 11:39 AM
I have no problem hearing but I know somebody who is deaf in one ear. She has some problems hearing and I just learned to speak a little louder around her.:)

luvofallhorses
04-24-2005, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by bckrazy
you should try going to the doctor and having them drain your ears. . it is gross, but my doctor did that after I had a bad ear infection, and I could hear a pin drop. It was scary :p

Yeah that is what I was thinking :)