PDA

View Full Version : Rabies from cat scratches?

sonikku10
04-19-2005, 10:15 PM
I have a friend that was recently scratched by a feral cat, and neither of us thought much of it. It's been 5 days or so since she's been scratched, and I'm concerned about a possibility of rabies. I check up with my friend, who is also 16 like me, regularly about it. She seems too afraid to say anything to her parents.

I know that there has been barely any history of any rabies in my area, and that infections from scratches are rare, but my mom has a co-worker that was scratched by her own cat and had to get treated.. (funny how her co-worker's name is "Kitty" lol)

Anyway, if she can get treatment, how much can she expect it to cost her, and what tests and such will be done? And since I live in the same neighborhood, should I get "pre-treated"?

CathyBogart
04-19-2005, 10:32 PM
Rabies is found in the saliva of infected animals, so I think the risk of transmission through scratches is quite low.

here's a good FAQ: http://dhfs.wisconsin.gov/communicable/communicable/factsheets/Rabies.htm

sonikku10
04-19-2005, 11:34 PM
Thanks for the info, I'll let my friend know that all is well and need not worry

Accord
04-20-2005, 01:37 AM
Keep the scratch area clean of dirt or germs that can get into it.

IRescue452
04-20-2005, 08:25 AM
The worst thing I would worry about is a nasty infection, but if its been almost a week and she's keeping it clean I wouldn't worry about that. I don't think there has ever been a case of getting rabies from a cat scratch or even a stray cat at all (not that you shouldn't be careful).

jodi
04-20-2005, 02:22 PM
depending on how bad the scratch is I would worry more about staff infection. That had happened to my bro last year.

catmandu
04-20-2005, 03:39 PM
What you Friend,could get,is what,they call Cat Scratch Fever,where her hand would turn reddish,I got that once,from a Meezer,that I was boarding.But you would know,it right away,as the swelling,starts immmediatley,so I think,that your Friend,is safehttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/FoundCatFollies080.jpg