PDA

View Full Version : New Pope

PJ's Mom
04-19-2005, 11:30 AM
According to CNN, a new Pope has been selected.

I thought it would take longer. :)

lute
04-19-2005, 11:47 AM
wow. that was quick!

Maya & Inka's mommy
04-19-2005, 12:10 PM
Yup!! It is the German Joseph Ratzinger, and he chose the name Benedictus 16th!
I am not really happy with the choice, as he is quite old (78 ??) and very conservative. But we have to accept the choice of the conclave.
Welcome Pope Benedictus 16th!

Barbara
04-19-2005, 12:18 PM
Today I said in the canteen: he will never be elected. One of my colleagues said he hopes yes because he has been confirmed by Ratzinger and he wants to say he has been confirmed by the pope:D

I suggested to bet but he didn't want to;)

Buddy Blaze Lover
04-19-2005, 12:20 PM
Wow, this is really amazing!! Only two days of the conclave, and we have a pope!! I'm sure even though Benedict 16th is old, he will be great!:D;)

PJ's Mom
04-19-2005, 02:13 PM
He's 78? Gee. :eek:

He's got some big shoes to fill. It'll be interesting to see how he does. I wish him luck. :)

Cataholic
04-19-2005, 02:18 PM
I am not catholic (despite my confusing screen name, LOL), but, why would someone already in their 'senior' years be selected into this position? And, a conservative to boot? I am a little surprised.

Now, this is not meant to be inflammatory...as a non-catholic, I just don't really follow all that is Catholic. So, it is probably that I am overlooking some major commandment, "thou shall not question the pope choice..." or something similar

smokey the elder
04-19-2005, 02:25 PM
He may have been elected because he IS older; the Cardinals may want someone who may not be Pope for 26 years again, but who knows?

Disclaimer: I was brought up Congregationalist.:)

PJ's Mom
04-19-2005, 02:26 PM
I was brought up Catholic, and I still have no idea what's going on. ;)

Jadapit
04-19-2005, 02:27 PM
Lol. PJ's mom you are too funny.:D

Kirsten
04-19-2005, 02:35 PM
He may have been elected because he IS older; the Cardinals may want someone who may not be Pope for 26 years again, but who knows?

Well, I think that's exactly the point. They said on tv that Ratzinger has health problems already, and so has that more liberal Italian about whom they said he would have had good chances, too.

I'm not catholic either, but I was surprised when I came home and saw on tv that the white smoke just had risen. I thought it would last longer. At this point, they didn't know who the new Pope was, but they kind of expected it would be Ratzinger and so it was. Since John Paul II was very much loved, I think we'll see how Benedictus XVI will handle the situation. I think the other 5 German Cardinals in the conclave were against him btw, as they are more liberal.

Barbara, I think it's kinda cool that your co-worker has been confirmed by the new Pope!

Kirsten

elizabethann
04-19-2005, 03:18 PM
They're calling this new pope a "transition pope". The Catholic Church does not know what kind of role they want to "play" and what road they want the Catholic Church to persue. Will they accept women as priests? Will they accept the birth control pill? Will they let priests marry? They don't know. So what they did was elect this "transitional" pope. Chances are, he won't have as long a run as Pope John Paul the Second. So they can decide how they want to run the Catholic Chruch and when the time comes to elect another pope, they'll elect someone to lead them down this "new" road. Personally, I was rooting for the African Cardinal to be pope.

Eight years of Catholic School here. Though, I don't practice the religon anymore, it's still ingrained in me.

:D

popcornbird
04-19-2005, 04:47 PM
As a non-Catholic, I am SO confused here. I guess I just don't understand the whole concept of having a Pope, what bases they 'choose' on, and how a 'pope', who is an ordinary man and not God or a God-appointed prophet, can give blessings, etc. What do popes do? :confused: So confused here. LOL! Any Catholic care to clear my confusion? He he he... I have several Catholic friends, but have never really talked to them on this topic, so I'm as confused and lost as it gets! :o

Originally posted by elizabethann
The Catholic Church does not know what kind of role they want to "play" and what road they want the Catholic Church to persue. Will they accept women as priests? Will they accept the birth control pill? Will they let priests marry? They don't know. D

Does that mean Popes can 'change' the laws of the religion?
*even more confused*

Lady's Human
04-19-2005, 06:22 PM
An Islamic equivalent to the Pope would be the Caliph, the leader of Islam on earth.

The Papacy is based on Christ's direction to Peter "You are the rock upon which I will build my church" Peter was the first Pope, the leader of the church on earth. The Catholic church has maintained a pope (or leader) ever since. Catholics believe that all Popes are the successors to Peter, not the previous pope.

The Pope makes the rules for the church, which has at times throughout history caused difficulties for the church, particularly during the middle ages. There's a lot more to this subject that would take pages to write, I would suggest wikkipedia or how stuff works.

http://people.howstuffworks.com/papacy.htm

CagneyDog
04-19-2005, 07:05 PM
Apparently he doesn't believe in women being Priests, gay sex marriages, and abortion :rolleyes:

LOL I also heard he doesn't believe in Rock music

Cincy'sMom
04-19-2005, 08:05 PM
When I heard at lunch today an older Pope had been elected, my first thought was they were looking for someone "short-term". I don't know anything about the new Pope, although many inthe US thought John Paul II was too conservative...and this guy is more so? Should be interesting!

joycenalex
04-19-2005, 09:40 PM
the hitler youth stuff and the slap at victims of the priest/sex abusers bother me alot. barbara, can you give me any direction on where to read up on that issue?

Lady's Human
04-19-2005, 11:17 PM
Find me someone who survived in Bavaria during WW2 who WASN'T a member of the Hitler Youth. The Hitler youth was hardly the Schutzstaffel (SS). Also on that count, Remember, Saul was transformed on the road to damascus from Saul the Christian persecutor to Paul, who spread the gospel far and wide.

janelle
04-20-2005, 01:37 AM
I think the Hitler Youth thing was mandatory. He deserted when he was in the Army so that was good judgement at a young age. He didn't want to fight for the Natzis.

Catholics also believe the Holy Spirit helps the cardinals pick the next pope with prayer and meditation. They do have divine help. This is a faith thing so you believe it or not.

He has a similar background and John Paul. In Europe during WW11. They experienced the same Hitler government. That would form there conservative theology.

Kirsten
04-20-2005, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by Lady's Human
Find me someone who survived in Bavaria during WW2 who WASN'T a member of the Hitler Youth. The Hitler youth was hardly the Schutzstaffel (SS). Also on that count, Remember, Saul was transformed on the road to damascus from Saul the Christian persecutor to Paul, who spread the gospel far and wide.

Exactly. In those dark years (1933-1945), I think almost every boy was part of the Hitler Jugend, as people who refused to join (or let their children join) were on high risk to face the consequences. Well, that's the nature of dictatorship, I guess... :(

As they reported here, Ratzinger later (before WW2 has ended) turned away from Hitler's system, and didn't agree with him and his politics.

Kirsten

Barbara
04-20-2005, 04:08 AM
Originally posted by Lady's Human

I do not have detailed information about Ratzinger's membership in Hitler youth but I have been a little surprised when I heard it.

Membership in Hitler youth was something you could avoid. I know it because my husband "survived in Bavaria during WW2". He is born in 1935 and he was never a member. Why? Because his family was very very catholic and his parents didn't trust Hitler. Some of the Hitler rituals had to be seen rather in opposition to the church (as the communist youth rituals in former GDR later) and his parents didn't like that.

He says that the consequences were some bullying and one time a stone in the window- but not more. It would have been different if he was older and would not have wanted to go to war- the consequence would have been the death sentence- but not the Hitler youth thing.

On the other hand I think many young people were just in because you did it. If Ratzinger had not been in you could know he was in the active opposition. While he was a member, this information alone is not enough to judge whether he shared nazi thoughts.

joycenalex
04-20-2005, 04:57 AM
i googled hitler youth and john ratzinger. on guardian.co.uk and libertypost.org, one british liberal newspaper and one american conserative site,(an opinion site or a webblog? ) both mention his time in the hitler youth. {disclaimer i did not, nor will i spend a great deal of time on reading anymore about this information} the libertypost.org site also mention his working near dachau inmates in 1943 and that he saw hungarian jews being loaded up to be sent to death camps. while his father was a police officer who refused to join the nazi party, the new popes' past behavior does make me feel uneasy. john paul 2 was in the resistance , benedict 16 was a member of hitler youth. this does make me feel very uncomfortable .

Barbara
04-20-2005, 05:13 AM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/pope/story/0,12272,1463902,00.html

Thanks Joycenalex- here is the link to the Guardian's story. I did not know he deserted. That for sure was a dangerous thing for him to do. During his development in the church hierarchy Ratzinger has shown himself as being highly intellectual and highly conservative - it depends on your personal opinion whether you welcome that or you rather don't.

Luvin Labs
04-20-2005, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by joycenalex
the hitler youth stuff and the slap at victims of the priest/sex abusers bother me alot. barbara, can you give me any direction on where to read up on that issue?

I heard about the hitler youth stuff (which was mandatory), but not about the 'slap at victims of the priest/sex abusers' part... any link for me about the details of that?

Dang, I was hoping that this new pope would lay the smackdown on the molesting priests.

joycenalex
04-21-2005, 05:03 AM
there were posts on catholicherald.com a march 2004 story and an abcnews.com april26,, the site isn't clear if the year is 2004 or 2005. "googling" someone is very informative.