PDA

View Full Version : Panosteitis question

raian
01-17-2002, 10:15 PM
Has anyone had experience with this problem (Panosteitis). It's also called "growing pains". My lab, Magnum, has recently come up lame on her left front leg. I can detect no "pain" responses from her and cannot determine what actually hurts. The vet did an x-ray and ruled out OCD or anything else for that matter, and he said she could just have "growing pains". I didn't realize what he really meant until I keyed in "dog lameness front legs" on the computer and found articles about Panosteitis. If anyone has any experience, please let me know. How long will this last. Will I be able to continue our agility training (after her pain ends), and are there any lasting effects, etc? Thanks!

KYS
01-18-2002, 08:01 PM
HI,

I have never experience Panosteitis with our dogs,
but I took out my trusty vet book.

Here is bits of what is in the book.

Panosteitis is a disease in puppies between 5 and 12 months of age.
Characteristic signs is the tendency for pain and lameness to shift from one location to another over a course of several weeks or months.
Treatment: As the cause is unknown, treatment is directed at
the relief of bone pain (see arthritis). Most dogs recover
spontaneously, but if severely affected, may never regain full muscle strength and condition.

I would talk to your vet about it and ask him about
when it is safe to start her on agility etc.
Sounds like most dogs recover 100 %.

I will think good thoughts for Magnum's full recovery ASAP.

raian
01-18-2002, 08:53 PM
Thanks for the info KYS. Magnum is doing much better this week, barely a trace of a limp, but we are still keeping her on a short leash for walks, trying not to let her run too much, etc. From stuff I've read online, this is just something she should outgrow. Keeping my fingers crossed because she's such a little athlete!

Logan
01-21-2002, 08:36 AM
Hi again, Raian!
My Honey, who is a Golden Retriever, had that exact same problem in her first year of life. I worried and worried, but my vet explained the growing pains to me, and thankfully, eventually her limping stopped. I noticed that usually, it was worst when she was getting up after lying down for a while, or after a period of lots of exercise. I was just delighted it wasn't a hip problem.
When my second Golden, Lilly, started doing the same thing, I made the assumption that hers was the same problem. Hers didnt' go away though :( . At 1 1/2 years old, Lilly was diagnosed with mild hip dysplasia, but she is almost 3 now, and is doing terrific. We did some changes in her diet and have medication to help her when necessary, so she's doing great! :D
Logan

tatsxxx11
01-21-2002, 05:31 PM
Hi Raian and Magnum. I have a 3 yr. old yellow lab, Star. She never had these "growing pains." But I learned a bit about it after I got her and started reading up on puppy health. Here's another bit of info. to add to the already great advice you have gotten from Logan and KYS. Can't wait to see pics. of Magnum! The "Lab ranks" of Pet Talk are growing!!:) Hope Magnum is doing better. Slurps and headbutts to Magnum!

Panosteitis

Panosteitis is a spontaneously occurring lameness that usually occurs in large breed dogs. German Shepherds seems to be particularly predisposed to this condition. Due to this, it is possible that the disease may have genetic causes. Some veterinarians feel that this disease may be induced or worsened by stress.

Affected dogs are usually in the 5 to 14 month age range and male dogs are more commonly infected than female dogs. The disease has been reported in dogs as young as 2 months and can occur in young mature dogs. The lameness tends to occur very suddenly, usually without a history of trauma or excessive exercise. In most cases one or the other front leg is affected first and then the problem tends to move around, making it appear that the lameness is shifting from leg to leg. There are often periods of improvement and worsening of the symptoms in a cyclic manner. This makes evaluation of treatment difficult since many dogs will spontaneously recover with or without treatment and then relapse.

X-rays usually reveal that the bones have greater density than is normally found. If pressure is applied over the long bones, pain is usually present. The X-ray signs do not always match the clinical signs.

In most cases, the worst pain lasts between one and two months but may persist in a cyclic nature for up to a year. Analgesic medications like aspirin can be be helpful. In severe cases, corticosteroids may provide relief.

Currently, a common rumor is that low protein, low calcium diets may prevent this condition. It should be noted that the energy level of low protein/calcium diets is often lower as well. If this is the case, a puppy will eat much more of the diet in order to meet its energy needs, resulting in higher total calcium consumption. It may be preferable to feed a puppy diet and restrict total quantity to keep the dog lean than to use a low protein/low calcium adult dog food.

This condition is self limiting, meaning that it will eventually go away, with or without treatment. Pain control can go a long way towards helping your pet feel more comfortable and should be used, though.

Mike Richards, DVM

tatsxxx11
02-19-2002, 05:38 PM
Hi Raian...Just wondering how Magnum was doing! Hope all is well. Check in if you can!