PDA

View Full Version : I've made a decision...

moosmom
04-19-2005, 11:22 AM
I've decided that Mattie Grace and her kittens would have a much better chance of getting adopted if I brought her to the Grosse Ile Animal Shelter. This shelter is like no other I've seen. It's very bright and cheery. The cats have free roam while the shelter is open. They only go in their cages at night and to feed. I'm also a volunteer there so I can keep tabs on them.

I've had several calls from people wanting kittens. After wasting hours of time waiting for people to show up, they never do. Not even a phone call telling me they can't make it.

This is a no-kill shelter and the class of people that go there guarantee her and her babies quality homes.

I called the ACO this morning and it's all set. If for some reason she doesn't want to take in the mama, I'll take her back home with me.

Please don't be mad at me. This was a very difficult decision to make. But I feel that they will have a much better chance of getting great homes if they have more exposure at the shelter as opposed to being at my house waiting for the phone to ring.

I'll keep you posted.

PJ's Mom
04-19-2005, 11:33 AM
I think it's a great idea. You'll be there to keep an eye on them and probably still have a say as to who adopts them. :)

It might be hard for you to let them go, but I think you're a great person for doing it. :)

K & L
04-19-2005, 11:36 AM
I think it's a good decision. Good luck with homes!!!

catland
04-19-2005, 11:40 AM
It sounds like a wonderful shelter. Best of luck to Mattie and her babies.:D

sirrahbed
04-19-2005, 12:05 PM
It sounds like a great idea, Donna! You have given them all what they need for now - time to move them where they have more exposure - it really sounds terrific:)

Barbara
04-19-2005, 12:14 PM
This sounds great! I think you saved their lifes up to now and now they have the chance to find their furrever homes! Good luck Mattie Grace and babies:)

Logan
04-19-2005, 12:24 PM
I don't know why anyone would be mad at you, Donna. It certainly sounds as if you are making a very wise decision, looking out for the well being of this mama and her babies! You have already been a blessing to them. :)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-19-2005, 12:25 PM
I agree that they will get much more exposure at the shelter and will surely be adopted in no time. I'm glad the shelter agreed to take them in and it's good to know you can keep tabs on them when you volunteer there.

Good luck sweet babies and mama!

kimlovescats
04-19-2005, 12:27 PM
Why would anyone possibley be "mad"??? This is a great decision, and one for the best interest of everyone!;)

catmandu
04-19-2005, 12:32 PM
I dont think,that there is anyone,onPet Talk,that has not had,to make that Very Hrad decision,as to rehoming.I have rehomed a few Cats,Like Hershey Bar,the Meezer,that I bought,outside,the Framers Market. You,are doing your best,to make sure,that these Little Ones,get a Good Furr Ever Home,along,with Mattie.Bles you,for giving these Mattie,and The Little Ones,and even break.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/catphotos1202.jpg

catnapper
04-19-2005, 12:34 PM
Who could be mad at you for that? I'm sure they'll get lots more exposure there, and a lot of handling, which would best socialize them to lots of people. What a fabulous idea!

mina'smomma
04-19-2005, 12:35 PM
Donna. I think its a wonderful thing you're doing. Besides its not like you're sending them to a kill shelter, and this way Mattie and the babies can still see you and you can make sure they will have a good home. Keep us posted.

jazzcat
04-19-2005, 12:46 PM
You are acting in the best interest of the kitties, who would be upset over that?

Please keep us posted on how they are.

Uabassoon
04-19-2005, 12:47 PM
Donna as a foster mom, it's your job to do what you think will get them the best home possible. I agree that getting them more exposure is the best way to do that. It sounds like this shelter is top notch and they will still be able to see you!

ramanth
04-19-2005, 01:44 PM
Mad?! Never! *HUGS*

moosmom
04-19-2005, 02:22 PM
Thanks guys!! ;)

Randi
04-19-2005, 02:53 PM
It's a good decision you've made, Donna. They have a much better chance of getting adopted and you can still keep an eye on them. :) Don't feel bad about it!

CathyBogart
04-19-2005, 03:31 PM
It sounds like a wonderful idea and you definitely thought it through, so good for you! And the kitties, of course!

NoahsMommy
04-19-2005, 06:24 PM
Donna,

It sounds like a great place for Mattie Grace and the kittens. :) I bet they'll find their furever homes quickly there.

Bless you for all you've done for them.

Hugs,
Kelly :)

moosmom
04-19-2005, 06:53 PM
I got a call from a girl who was referred by the Feed Rite store I go to all the time. She left 5 messages on my cellphone. Lori, the clerk at the store has been weeding out perspective adopters.

Dawn (the woman) wants a short haired female :(. That's the runt of the litter!!! :(:( I am so attached to her. She's the one who falls asleep in my arms.

Okay, I know this is gonna be tough. I just didn't realize HOW tough. These are my babies and I've nurtured them since birth!!! Dawn has two children, 5 and 2. She asked me why I was asking $40 and I told her it was to discourage people who aren't serious about it.

I typed up an adoption agreement saying she will not declaw her and promises to have her fixed at 6 months. Also, if she can't keep her for ANY reason, she calls me and I come get her. She told me she will keep her indoors.

Pray for me guys!! I'll probably have a meltdown by the time this is over!!! :rolleyes:

K & L
04-19-2005, 07:13 PM
Is it possible to offer some kind of certificate to have fixed to ensure they'll bring them back for this? Better yet, wait until the kitten is fixed before ready for adoption? We have kittens fixed once they weigh 2 lbs., then they're eligible for adoption. I wish you the best of luck!

Laura's Babies
04-19-2005, 07:17 PM
It is going to be hard.. I still miss Wally and Marty and cry when I think of them....

moosmom
04-19-2005, 07:22 PM
Thanks K&L. That's one of my main concerns is that she be spayed. I told her that I INSIST she gets spayed as soon as the kitten is old enough. Some vets spay them earlier than 6 months.

She lives in an apartment. I asked her if her landlord allowed pets and she said yes, cats but no dogs. I told her that some apartment complexes require you to declaw a cat. She said, "Well, she has to be a year old before I can do that, right???" I kinda freaked. I told her that since Sassie is so young, it's easy to train them and I told her how inhumane declawing is.

She's supposed to come over tonight after I get out of work. Am I being too overprotective? I just have a gut feeling about this one. I've always gone with my instincts. I guess I'll find out when she gets there.

She really sounded excited about adopting a kitten.

I feel a meltdown coming!! :eek: :rolleyes:

K & L
04-19-2005, 07:34 PM
We made the mistake of adoping out a kitten with the promise she would be fixed. She never was! I learned the hard way. It doesn't take long for the kittens to weigh 2 lbs. Is there any place in your area that will spay at this weight? Tell her the $40 is going to the spay and the kitten can be adopted once this is done. Go with your gut feelings, seems they're the best! You could also ask for the name of the apartment complex and call and see if they really do allow pets. Also, if this is a possiblity, put a stipulation she must return the cat to you if she decides it's not working out. It's not easy finding the homes we feel are appropriate (why we have 24) but if it's done right it will make you feel much better about it. The shelter we work with charges $90 for a cat but this includes spay/neuter, shots, microchip, carrier and supplies, and a very detailed adoption paper has to be filled out. The customer can return the cat up to a year (I believe) if the cat is not working out. Here's a site that offers some good forms to follow:

http://www.seattleanimalshelter.org/forms.htm

carole
04-19-2005, 07:41 PM
Donna I would do as K & L suggests, don't give her the kitten until it is spayed, and tell her the 40 dollars will cover that, at least you will feel right in knowing she will not leave you with that uncertainty, if she really wants the baby then she will be prepared to wait, go with your feelings girl on this one.

GOOD LUCK with whatever you decide.:)

moosmom
04-19-2005, 07:43 PM
Maybe I should tell her that I'll refund $20 when she produces a spay certificate. I know she wants the kitten now and I'm not sure she'll wait till it's fixed.

I'm going to hold off jumping to conclusions till I see her face to face and see her reaction to the agreement. I also will ask for the landlord's name and phone number, as well as the vet she plans on using.

My gut feelings have never steered me wrong either. The one time I didn't listen to them, I got into BIG trouble!

I'll let you know what happens. Thanks for the guidance.

K & L
04-19-2005, 07:55 PM
If she won't wait for it, then it's better she didn't take it! When you really wanted one wouldn't you wait for anything to make it yours? Good luck and let us know what happens.

moosmom
04-19-2005, 09:56 PM
Looks like it's a moot issue. She never showed up. Never even called to say she wasn't coming!!

Oh well. *Sigh* I'm relieved.

CathyBogart
04-19-2005, 10:06 PM
I'm relieved too.

ramanth
04-20-2005, 09:07 AM
I can't believe how rude these people are being by saying they will come over and then don't bother to show up! Like we don't have something better to do with our time. :mad:

But I'm glad she didn't show up.

*HUGS*

K & L
04-20-2005, 09:10 AM
Goes to show how much she really did want it. I'm always leery of someone when they don't want to pay anything! I'm glad you're relieved and this baby has a chance at a good home!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-20-2005, 09:33 AM
Donna, 5 messages on your cell phone and then she doesn't show??? If she calls back tell her just plain old NO. She will probably come up with some "good" excuse trying to convince you that she really is responsible, but stick your guns and tell her no. Your initial gut feeling along with these actions is enough justification and after all, she's your kitten and this lady has no "right" to her whatsoever, so just NO.

Sheesh, some people. :rolleyes:

moosmom
04-20-2005, 11:18 AM
I called her this morning at 9:30 on the way to the shelter with Mattie Grace and babies. I said, "Hi Dawn, this is Donna" She said, "Oh hi! Sorry about last night, but I got in pretty late." I said, "Well gee, thanks for calling to let me know!" and proceeded to hang up on her.

At first I put just the babies in the carrier. I got about a block away and turned around. I brought Mattie Grace and put her in with her babies. I was GOING to keep her and certainly wanted to. But right now it's not possible. I'm going there on Saturday to visit.

So, she and kids are settling in at the shelter. They have their own room with a screen door on it. It's bright, cheery and she can be with her babies for a couple of days before they are separated. I left my carrier with my bathrobe in it (she and 2 of the kittens were in there with her) so she'll have my scent on it.

My friend Lora (the ACO) and two of the volunteers all agreed that Mattie AND her kittens will get placed very quickly.

I miss her already. But I know in my heart that I did the right thing. I gave her and her babies a good start. THAT is what matters. :(

mina'smomma
04-20-2005, 11:30 AM
You're doing the right thing Donna. It has to be hard to let your sweetie go, but think about the wonderful furrever home that someone is going to give her. Maybe they will even keep in contact with you. I do with both Kasie and Mina's foster moms. Kelly in fact is moving to TX and has already given me her address so I can keep sending her pictures of Kasie, and I work with Mina's foster mom Elaine.

~big hugs~

Laura's Babies
04-20-2005, 11:30 AM
I will think about you today, knowing your heart is heavy and you will miss her.

sirrahbed
04-20-2005, 11:59 AM
Donna - you did the right thing although it was very hard and I can only imagine how sad and empty you must feel:( ((((Donna))))

How sweet to leave your bathrobe with them - I am sure that will be so comforting to them!!

Please tell us about when you next visit and how many kitties already have homes!!~:)