PDA

View Full Version : Grahams P.T.

AdoreMyDogs
01-17-2002, 08:50 PM
I had Graham originally signed up for 5 weeks of P.T. at the place where he had his orthopedic surgery done and that was fine, even though they didn't specialize in physical therapy, nor did they have any specialized p.t. equipment. They mostly did stretches and massage therapy. I was OK with that until today when, by streak of luck, today in the Detroit Free Press newspaper, there was a huge, front page article on a pet rehabilitation center that specialized in rehabing all sorts of aliments from extreme obesity, to torn ligements, to spinal cord injuries and so on. I just couldn't believe there was a huge article about pet rehab so soon after Graham's cast removal. I called the place and they are absolutely WONDERFUL!!! They have SO much therapy equipment...they have something for every dog in need!

Needless to say, I canceled with the vet that did his surgery and set up an appointment with this new facility since it is so wonderful. Graham will be going for underwater treadmill therapy 3 times a week for at least 2 weeks, and more if necessary, then I'll take him once a week or so until he has built enough muscle in that leg.

Here's the newspaper article that turned me on to the wonderful rehab center:
Detroit Free Press Article (http://www.freepress.com/news/locoak/pet17_20020117.htm)

And here is their website:
Animal Rehabilitation Center Of Michigan (http://www.unionlakepets.com/html/__rehabilitation_center.html)

I am really excited about this place. They will get my Graham back on *all* of his feet again :) I will tell you all about it after I get back. Our first appointment is this coming Monday. I think it's such fate that there was that news article today. It really was amazing.

Sudilar
01-17-2002, 08:58 PM
WOW, Leslie, it sounds like fate to me! Is this place close to where you live, too? What a wonderful thing to have for disabled pets. Graham is going to love it, I'm sure. It should help him a lot. I hope Graham gets to be 100% real quick!!

AdoreMyDogs
01-17-2002, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by Sudilar
WOW, Leslie, it sounds like fate to me! Is this place close to where you live, too?

It's a bit farther then the place where he had his surgery, but it's not too much of a drive. It will take maybe 45 minutes to get there! It took about 25 minutes to get to the place orthopedic surgeon :)

Pretty amazing that they would write a story about the rehab place now, huh? :D I just can't get over how much this seems like fate.

Sudilar
01-17-2002, 09:08 PM
Good luck, Graham! This sounds like just what the doctor ordered!! :)

lizbud
01-17-2002, 09:10 PM
Leslie,
I think it must be fate & prayers that led you to
this article. I'm so thrilled that you've found a place
where Graham can get every advantage, and the
latest medical advances in the field of therapy for
recovering from his injury. I'm really not supprised
to learn that so many people treat their pets as
family.....They ARE family !!! I'm so happy for you
guys... Very Best of Luck with this !!! Liz & Buddy.

Gio
01-18-2002, 03:15 AM
This place sounds just like it's what Graham needs to get back into full form. I'm thrilled for you and please keep us posted!

auggie
01-18-2002, 06:09 AM
Leslie, I just read this great article about the miracles of Pet Theraphy (one of my Dream Jobs), and immediately thought about Graham. I'm so happy you're taking him to P.T. and can't wait to hear about it.
Good luck sweet Graham. I hope you recover fully in no time.:)

purrley
01-18-2002, 07:00 AM
Leslie - I just have to say again that you're such a wonderful and caring Mom. Such dedication you've given to this super pup of yours. And by the way - I don't recall you ever giving us details on what really happened that day Graham went off the balcony. Did you ever get to the bottom of it. Did you ever approach your landlord or the repair guy on this?

Dixieland Dancer
01-18-2002, 10:04 AM
Leslie, Underwater treadmill therapy! I need to come and join Graham. His guardian angel was looking out for him! Keep us posted and take a picture if possible. I'd love to see him on the treadmill. Mr. :cool:

jennifert
01-18-2002, 04:58 PM
AWESOME!! See things do usually work out! I'm so happy you found this place! I can't wait to hear about how Graham's appt goes!

jackiesdaisy1935
01-19-2002, 01:44 PM
I think that would be wonderful, I'm sure it will help Graham tremendously, I think it is fate that it should show up in the newspaper at the right time. Good luck Graham and let us all know how it all turns out.
Jackie

tatsxxx11
01-19-2002, 02:56 PM
WOW Leslie!! It surely was fate that you found that article at just the right time!! What a blessing for dear Graham to have real doggie P.T.!!!! The water therapy will be especially beneficial! Now you have to take pics of Graham during his workout! LOVE YOU Grahamster!!:)

sabies
01-20-2002, 11:32 AM
Sounds Great! So glad you found this place!

RachelJ
01-22-2002, 09:20 AM
Just found this thread and I am so excited. This sounds EXACTLY what Graham will be able to benefit from. Just ideal. It certainly wasn't an accident that the article appeared and you saw it. I think it was a little bit more than fate. I think Pet Talk prayers have been answered here.

Did he go to his first session yesterday? Update please when you have a minute.

Sudilar
01-23-2002, 10:15 PM
Yes, we were wondering how everything went. Let us know when you can!!

AdoreMyDogs
01-24-2002, 06:52 AM
http://www.photogra.com/galleries/34945/curr/4929047_20020124_074128_20020124074128.jpg

This is the first time I have posted pics since the new Pet Talk update. I went last night for the first time, they had to reschedule me due to previous engagements. They are the most wonderful place ever! Both Graham and I loved it! Graham was a little nervous of the water tredmill at first, because they lock him in there and then it starts to fill with water...he didn't understand. But he did GREAT! He did 15 minutes in the tredmill and he had 1/2 hour of stretching and massage. I had a grand tour of the facility and I am going to be dropping him off Monday, Wednesday and Friday before work and will pick him up after work. They will take him out every hour for stretching and they will put him in the water tredmill 3 times a day. They also have a beautiful daycare facility so he will be able to spend time there and in their fenced in yard. It's the same price as if I take him for an hour after work, so I opted to drop him off. He'll LOVE it!

They also gave him treat after treat while he was on the water tredmill so he wouldn't get bored, and to make it fun. He really loved the place :) He's not going to want to come home with me when I pick him up after work :D

Thanks for asking about him. It means alot to us!
Testing another pic:
http://www.photogra.com/galleries/34945/curr/4499507_20020124_074128_20020124074128.jpg

purrley
01-24-2002, 07:02 AM
Leslie - this looks like a fabulous facility. Graham's so lucky to be a part of it. He'll be SUPER DOG when he's done:) :)

Gio
01-24-2002, 10:28 AM
That looks absolutely fantastic, I'm impressed only by looking at the pics of Graham on the treadmill. They sound like great people keeping him entertained while he is doing his therapy. I'm so pleased for you and Graham.

I wonder, do they take also humans? I could do with some of the excercises :D :D

AdoreMyDogs
01-24-2002, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Gio
That looks absolutely fantastic, I'm impressed only by looking at the pics of Graham on the treadmill. They sound like great people keeping him entertained while he is doing his therapy. I'm so pleased for you and Graham.

I wonder, do they take also humans? I could do with some of the excercises :D :D

Hehehe :) I was REALLY tempted to jump in with Graham and get a workout myself :) I am actually considering applying for a job there, I LOVED it so much!

purrley
01-24-2002, 11:22 AM
What a fun job that would be, a physical therapist for animals. I wonder if we have any facilities like that around here.:confused:

Albea
01-24-2002, 12:26 PM
Leslie:
It looks like you and Graham have been rewarded, by finding this wonderful place, after so much grief. It was a long and painful experience for both of you but now everything will be fine. It's great to know that Graham will have so much fun during the day and get the full use of his leg at the same time. :D I doubt very much that he will not want to go home, he loves you too much to stay away from you.;)

Dixieland Dancer
01-24-2002, 12:51 PM
WoWzer! This place looks like it is a blast and Graham is one lucky doggie to be getting such royal treatment!

I also wonder if there is anything around my area with something like that. HMMMMMM maybe ...... okay I admit I was thinking maybe I could start one but ..... okay I'm back to reality now. DARN!

Hope all this wonderful PT has you feeling more and more better everyday precious Graham!

tatsxxx11
01-24-2002, 05:59 PM
OMG! Leslie, you have my heart pounding. Just looked at the Graham Man, the SUPER GRAHAM doing his workout! I'm am so excited for you and Graham. What a wonderfully nurturing environment, both physically and emotionally! And I was thinking the same thing.....Do they need a nurse????:) What a joyously rewarding job that would be! You three have been through so much these past several months. :( Maybe the light at the end of the tunnel is finally in sight! Love to beautiful, sweet, brave, ever smiling Graham!, and Mom and Dad!

Pam
01-24-2002, 07:00 PM
Leslie I don't know how I have missed this post but I am so happy to have found it just now! What a terrific place for Graham to learn to "get back on all fours." I love the pictures of your little buddy working out. He is just such a special member of Pet Talk and I do wish he could read all of the loving messages that have poured in over his terrible ordeal. Please do keep us posted as to his progress. We love ya Graham Baby!! Keep up the good work!

michelene
01-24-2002, 07:14 PM
Leslie, thank you for sharing the pictures and information about Graham's physical therapy and the facility. Now that we know somebody does veterinary P.T. and daycare at a reasonable price we can ask for it in our own communities when we need it for our furkids.

Hope Graham recovers quickly and completely.

Sudilar
01-24-2002, 11:05 PM
Wow! That place is fantastic! Graham is so lucky to have you to take such wonderful care of him!! I am so impressed! Lucky Dog!!

ownerof3dogs
01-27-2002, 12:51 PM
Hi AdoreMyDogs,

I havn't been here for so long. How is Graham's legs doing?

Freckles
01-30-2002, 10:54 AM
Leslie, your first post on this topic described how a newspaper article pointed you to the perfect PT for Graham.
This week, in the Portland Oregonian, Pet section, I was startled to see a picture of an English Sheepdog in a similar underwater treadmill device. Article stated there are just a few of the devices in the country, but now WE know where there are two.

Phred
01-30-2002, 01:06 PM
I did a search on http://www.google.com with the parameters of ["underwater treadmill" +animal or vet] and got multiple hits...

Seems these therapy devices are becoming very popular with the Vet Universities and private practices. They have been used for many years by the equine industry for both race horse therapy and training.

Here's a link to one of the manufacturers...
Ferno site. (http://therapy.ferno.com/Aquatic/k-9tread.htm)
They list the following recent installations:
* Dover Veterinary Hospital - Durham, NH
* Oklahoma State University Vet Hospital - Stillwater, OK
* University of Tennessee - Knoxville, TN
* Alameda East Vet Clinic - Denver, CO

And an article by the American Veterinary Medical Association...
AVMA article. (http://www.avma.org/onlnews/javma/mar00/s030100d.asp)

:)

jackiesdaisy1935
01-30-2002, 04:33 PM
Leslie, it's so nice to see Graham without his cast and actually enjoying himself. That looks like a wonderful place., so glad you found it. Hope there is one like that here in case we needed one.
Jackie

AdoreMyDogs
01-30-2002, 05:29 PM
I have been dropping Graham off every Mon, Wed & Fri and I tell you, he LOVES it! He isn't nearly as excited about coming home with me when I pick him up after work as he normally is when he's left without me. :) He's making alot of friends there and he starts getting really excited when I pull into the parking lot of the rehab place.

They measured him again today (they measure every week and last Wed was his first day) and he's already gained 1/4 inch mass on both of his front legs! This is our reward for going through such a horrible experience. Both of us love it. And I have already made arangements to take him every Friday before work to their doggie daycare facility so he can have at least one good day while I am away at work during the week.

He's going to be bummed out when he's all healed and he can't go for P.T. anymore :) That's why I HAVE to take him to their daycare facility, otherwise he'd be SO bummed out :)

Thank you all, from the bottom of my heart, for the tremendous support and love that you gave to me through this whole ordeal. I honestly don't know what I would have done without all the multitude of prayers and positive thoughts that were sent to me and Graham. You are all a blessing to me and I am thankful to have you all as friends.

Bless you all!

Love,

Leslie, Dan & Graham

Sudilar
01-30-2002, 10:10 PM
Leslie, I am so happy that this is working out so well for Graham!! He is progressing so well!! What great news! :):):)

lizbud
02-01-2002, 08:32 PM
Leslie,

Just wanted to say that I've been keeping up on
your Good News postings on Graham's progress
in P.T. He sounds so happy & excited with the new
activities he's involved in now...No wonder Graham did
so well in Agility, he's a guy that loves to have a purpose
and be doing something fun at the same time.
I'm just so happy for Graham and know how proud you
& Dan must feel about his progress... You Go Graham !!!

RachelJ
02-02-2002, 07:39 AM
This has been a long road for all of you, and yes, it is wonderful to know that Graham enjoys so much this aspect of his recovery process. He deserves some good days, doesn't he?

Logan
02-02-2002, 07:43 AM
Oh, Leslie! You made my morning. I'm so happy that Graham is getting the help he needs, and having fun while he gets it!! What more could you ask for? Thanks so much for keeping us up to date on his progress. :D

Logan

tatsxxx11
02-02-2002, 10:44 AM
Hi there Grahamster!! Boy, hearing how well your doing, getting so strong and muscular again, made my weekend!! What made me ever happier, was the thought of you back to your happy, energetic, smiling self! Sounds like doggie heaven there at the center! Lets see...workout room, pool, doggie day care, lots of doggie pals....sounds like doggie paradise!!:) And knowing how relieved your dear, sweet Mom is to see you improving by leaps and bounds lightens my heart more than she'll ever know. You all have been through so much lately, and all of you have come through with flying colors!! What a terrific family!:) Make sure your Mommy gives you lots of hugs and kisses from Aunt Sandra, Cody and Star. Have I told you lately Graham???? I LOVE YOU SUPER GRAHAM!!!

K9karen
02-04-2002, 09:47 AM
Oh Leslie.. I could just shoot myself:mad: ! I added a post at work on Friday, kept getting interrruped so instead of sending it I logged off:( :mad: :eek: :( and then to make it worse, never had a chance to visit my PC at home..
Anyway... I just wanted to apologize for being so late in adding my thoughts and prayers for the Graham-ster! I hold a special place in my heart for him (won me over with at smile!)and to see his pictures working out on the treadmill and looking so good and being so patient and cooperative, and enjoying his play time, I would jump in the air and click my heels if I could!
Please plant a huge smoochie on him for me and a long, gentle hug to the sweetheart! :)

Kfamr
02-07-2002, 07:57 PM
hehe my mom goes to that freepress webite alot to see whats going on up in MI :)