PDA

View Full Version : Kia and Kruzer...

ramanth
01-17-2002, 08:25 PM
I took Kia to the Humane Society and asked to see Kruzer.

They bring him out and immediately the two dogs do the whole sniff thing. But of course, being in the lobby, and I'm happy to say they were quite busy adopting out animals, their attentions soon turned to other things.

So we take the pups out in the back yard and let them run. They chase each other for a little bit and wrestle. Then I play some fetch with Kruzer and Kia's trying to get to the ball before him but just can't seem to do it. *laughs* So she'd trot up alongside him.

They ignore each other a little and I'm still unsure.

We took Kia and Kruzer back in past all the other dogs and they are barking and neither dogs bark back. But Kia is starting to freak out.

Both dogs calm down once we are back in the lobby but the two are ignoring each other. I'm still unsure.

Then Kruzer puts his head in my lap and looks at me and I'm filling out the adoption papers.

Then the snag....

Their list of apartments does not say if our complex allows more than one pet or not. They try calling the office but get no answer. They tell me that they will hold Kruzer (something they don't normally do) and all I have to do is bring in the lease and he's mine.

I get home and Michael gets the lease... and frowns. It says the resident may only have 1 pet. :( We're stumped. Quite a few people have more than one dog and the managers know.

Michael thinks he may of found a loophole. It says the Resident may only have one pet. Kia's in my name and I am not on the lease nor am I technically the resident by wording of the lease. I just live with the resident. So Michael is going to find out if the Society will let him adopt Kruzer.

I guess we'll find out tomorrow.....

~Kimmy

AmberLee
01-17-2002, 08:57 PM
Good luck. Fingers (and paws) crossed here for you four.

kobieeli
01-17-2002, 10:36 PM
Well, DANG IT! A match made in heaven (or darned close to such a thing, it sounds like), and yet the silly ol' lease is a problem. Sheesh! My two cents on the issue: your niggling about the phrasing of "resident" vs. "owner" on the lease is probably a good tactic, and could even be extended to include niggling about the "one pet" rule. How exactly can "one pet" ever be counted the same in all cases anyway? I mean, is one Great Dane the same as one box turtle? Is one tank of fish allowed, or just one fish? How 'bout a potbellied pig? Plus, the definition of "responsible" dog ownership is an issue, as I'm certain you'd not let the dogs run amuck, bark all night, harass children, etc. That's gotta count for something. (Okay, now I'm getting fired up. I think I watch too much Law & Order!)

Lots of luck to you and Michael on getting around that legal-ese and taking Kruzer home! :D

DoggiesAreTheBest
01-18-2002, 07:42 AM
Kimmy, I hope things go smoothely today for you, Michael, Kia, and Kruzer. Does the landlord/manager of the apartments know you want to get another pet and approves? Have him call the shelter and tell them. That may work. Just a thought. Even though I think your loophole has a good chance as well!

ramanth
01-18-2002, 08:21 AM
:( :( :(

Humane Society just called me this morning a little after 9 (they actually don't open until 11).

They called the apartments and they said only one pet. I even mentioned the loophole but they are concerned that the manager wouldn't agree with our reasoning so they felt it best if I didn't adopt Kruzer.

I'm so crushed. I really liked him and the Society was really hoping he could go home with me. They said no one else has really looked at him. :( :(

I guess I can feel good in knowing I saved Kia. :)

But I still miss Kruzer. Oh crap... now I'm crying. I'm sorry....

~Kimmy

DoggiesAreTheBest
01-18-2002, 08:34 AM
That just bites! How come other tenants can have more than one pet?

I know how you feel, Kimmy. I went through that with Lilly. Hopefully, Kruzer will find a good home to go to. Do you know anyone who would like to adopt him? Maybe you can give him a home by finding a possible family for him.

pepper636
01-18-2002, 08:36 AM
Why don't you call the manager and offer to put up an extra security deposit for another dog? I have found that works wonders. Tell him your story. He may have a kind heart. As a last resort if things aren't going well, I would mention that other residents have more than one dog and you would like to know what arrangements were made between them and the manager so this could happen and that you would be willing to agree to the same arrangements. I think you will have him there. Good luck. I'm praying for you.

ramanth
01-18-2002, 08:41 AM
The nice woman at the Humane Society said they have seen situations were current tenants may of had more than one pet when the lease allowed it and when the lease rules change, they are allowed to keep all their pets but new residents have to abide by the new lease.

I'm going to talk to Michael tonight and see what we can do.

~Kimmy

jackiesdaisy1935
01-18-2002, 09:45 AM
I am really sorry and I hope that you can figure something out, what a shame that people who really love animals can't have them and those who don't care about them can have tons.
Jackie

Gio
01-18-2002, 10:19 AM
I'm sorry to hear this, I really hope you will find a way out. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed.

sabies
01-18-2002, 11:43 AM
That is too bad. I can relate, I've had the worst time finding apartments with my dog - and she is only 35 lbs and very quiet. I wish the rental community was more dog-friendly :(.

jennifert
01-18-2002, 12:04 PM
I'm so sorry about Kruzer :( If it was meant to be, it will work out. I know that sounds so lame but I firmly believe it. I agree with Pepper, money works wonders in these types of situations. I had to wait up to 2 weeks to get Duncan while the shelter did a background check on me AND my roommate. They also came and checked the yard and initially told me no because the yard was too small for such a big dog. I begged and pleaded and assured them that he would be walked and taken to the park everyday. They finally had a meeting at the shelter about me and agreed I could have him. I think they just wanted me out of their hair since I visited Duncan everyday, twice a day during those 2 weeks! :)
Is this shelter a no-kill shelter? If not, perhaps you and Michael can move? It is so hard to find a place where you can have dogs. I too wish the rental community would be more understanding. Most people who are willing to take on the responsibility of an animal such as a dog are going to go out of their way to make sure the dog does not impose on other residents. I've been looking into moving myself lately but I have had the hardest time finding a place that has both parking AND allows big dogs. Good luck, I'll be thinking and hoping and praying for you....:)

AmberLee
01-18-2002, 12:05 PM
{{{Kimmy}}},

So sorry you are facing this challenge. Fingers and paws crossed it can work out somehow. Pepper's suggestion sounds good to me. Lots of luck.

ramanth
01-18-2002, 12:39 PM
Jennifert: The shelter is indeed a kill shelter.

Believe it or not, this complex we are living in is one of the best complex's that allows pets. There are yards for the dogs to run. Plus it is convienent as my vet is less than a block away and work is not too far (15 minute drive).

Other places that allow pets either charge around $700 to $800 or they are dumps.

Michael just called and I told him (bawling of course) about how the society had called and what they had said.

He asked me again where the Humane Society was located and said he'd do what he could.

Go Michael... Go Michael.... :D

~Kimmy

jennifert
01-18-2002, 12:54 PM
Oh I so hope he comes up with something....Sometimes men can be more ingenious than us emotional women...I'm crying now because of what you told me about the shelter...Something good has to happen....

ramanth
01-20-2002, 01:00 PM
This was a post I did not want to make..... :(

I cannot have Kruzer or any other animal for that matter other than Kia. :( :(

Michael questioned the manager and she said they rarely make exceptions. (In the case of our neighbors who have a Golden and a Llahpso Apso, the elderly woman is sick and so they allowed her to keep her dogs).

The manager was not interested in more money or an extra deposit and hinted that if she found more than one dog in our apartment we would be evicted. :mad: :( :( :mad:

~Kimmy

kobieeli
01-20-2002, 01:45 PM
Oh man, that is too bad. :( (It peeves me that the manager has made exceptions for others, though. Grrr.)

Just a thought: if you and Michael were willing to move, what about finding a house to rent? I've got a friend who was unwilling to give up a stray dog she'd found (her second and against her apt. lease), so she went and rented a wonderful little house with a yard. No more manager troubles, and she didn't have to go to the trouble of buying. Is this a possibility if you really want Kruzer?

Gepansy
01-20-2002, 01:55 PM
Hope everything works out.:( ;)
Our paws are crossed,
Alyssa

jennifert
01-21-2002, 03:07 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about Kruzer.:( Keep us updated...

aly
01-21-2002, 09:49 PM
I'm sorry it didn't work out :(

Since I work at the Humane Society here, I see situations like this all the time. We find a perfect match for a dog or cat, call their landlord and for one reason or another, the tenent cannot have the animal. We really wish we could adopt them the animal but in the interest of the animal, we cannot. It is really stresseful if the animal would have to be returned to the shelter due to lease violations. What would be even worse is if the animal was removed from the apartment while the people weren't home. Then who knows what would happen.

If you're going to move in the future, I'd suggest looking for a place with a higher limit than one. I know all the apartments in my city with no pet limits just in case I ever need to move. I research it a lot just in case I need to move at the drop of a hat.

Again, I'm very sorry :(