PDA

View Full Version : Rimadyl

raian
01-17-2002, 07:45 PM
There has been much controversy over Rimadyl, but I want to say something about it here.

It is a wonderful drug that provides great relief to many dogs with no complications. If your vet prescribes this drug, be sure to watch for any side effects.

My dog, Shadow, is extremely arthritic, having been born with a leg deformity that led to strain on his other limbs throughout his lifetime. He's 12 now. He's been on Rimadyl for over a year with no problems (he is a Black Lab). Two things my vet told me that many vets fail to tell patients. First, if the dog stops eating, immediately stop the Rimadyl and take the dog to the vet. One of the first signs of liver distress is loss of appetite. And second, my vet told me to give Shadow one Pepcid a day to help maintain his stomach acid levels. I have met several people who remarked that Rimadyl worked for their dog but upset the stomach, their vets never told them to put the dog on Pepcid (or one of the other acid reducers).

Just my 2 cents worth on Rimadyl.

BTW, I'm new here, and I love this website!!!:)

jackiesdaisy1935
01-19-2002, 01:50 PM
I have to agree with you, there are pros and cons about the medication, but our Vet prescribed it for our 15 year old Schnauzer who could hardly stand up and slept all the time and was in pain. I could not believe the difference it made in her, all of a sudden she was up going down the stairs with the other dogs and slowly running around the yard with them. We were amazed, and we saw no signs of upset stomach and her appetite was good through out. After a year, she went into a decline and passed away, but during the time she was taking the medication, it gave her a new lease on life.
Jackie

tatsxxx11
01-19-2002, 03:04 PM
It really does seem that Rimadyl can perform wonders in many dogs. But, like any potent drug, it is so important to watch for adverse reactions and side effects. My vet absolutely refuses to prescribe Rimadyl for any Lab. Seems studies have shown Labs to be the most suspetible to adverse reactions and especially liver damage. Several other vets I know will, but only with close monitioring of liver profiles values.

Dear Raian...So glad your labbie did so well on Rimadyl!!:) You shared some valuable info..thanks! Oh, and keep an eye out for "Logan" here on Pet Talk. She's from S.C. too!!:)

jackiesdaisy1935
01-20-2002, 06:38 PM
Sandra, Logan should be back from Florida tonight, I'm sure she will have a lot to tell us about her trip.
Hope she took some pictures. How are you and the pups doing?
Jackie

Kfamr
01-20-2002, 07:23 PM
Logan came to florida??! where in Florida?

Logan
01-21-2002, 08:32 AM
Hi everyone, and welcome, Raian!! Where in SC are you? I live in Greenville. We got home around 11:30 last night, Jackie, and thank you for thinking of us!! We had a marvelous trip which I'll have to tell you all about later. But KayAnn, we went to St. Augustine, Orlando (Universal Studios) and to Space Camp at the Kennedy Space Center (my favorite part).

Raian, I wanted to say that I am so glad that your Lab got some relief from the Rimadyl. I have always heard mixed reviews as well. But I will tell you that the Yellow Lab that I had during my marriage, Chuck, suffered from arthritis in his later life, along with a number of other more serious ailments. He was given Rimadyl, as needed, for his stiffness and pain, and always improved when it was used. Chuck died at age 15, which is quite old for a Lab, I am told. I am currently using it for my limping Golden Retriever, but on a very limitied basis. It seems that the good thing about Rimadyl is that one dose is effective, and that it does not have to be built up in their systems. My vet told me that he would not want to prescribe it for Honey for an extended continuous use at her young age (3), but that it certainly does serve its purpose when necessary. Honey appears to be better and has stopped limping, so I'm not using it at all right now.

We love those labs, Raian, so please let us know all about yours!! :D

Kfamr
01-21-2002, 09:46 AM
Wow! Did you have fun?? I have gone to the space camp befor... did you guys get to ride any of the training equipment the astronauts used? I did it was soooooo much fun there. Hope you had fun!

Logan
01-21-2002, 10:37 AM
Hey KayAnn! I guess we're getting a little off topic here, but yes, Helen did get to do lots of the training equipment and simulators. She loved it, but her favorite part was building our own rockets and launching them. Hers went so far that she couldn't retrieve it, but she got to retrieve mine (:o Mine didn't go nearly as far as hers). I thought the Kennedy Space Center and Space Camp were the best part of our trip. :D And on a Pet Talk note, I could not believe all the alligators and other wildlife we saw at the Space Center. Until we were there, I had no idea that it was the largest protective habitat for endangered species in the whole country, behind the Everglades. Just one of the many interesting facts I picked up on! LOL!!! :)

Kfamr
01-21-2002, 11:48 AM
Yeah theres tons of wildlife there.... my favorite was probably the gift shop hehehe. Also i loves the training and stuff.... sorry for getting off topic people =\

AdoreMyDogs
01-21-2002, 12:07 PM
Don't appologize...you know we all love you, KayAnn :)

Logan, I am so glad you had fun. I feel bad, I didn't even know you were going to FL :( I just don't spend much time on PT these days and I missed out on wishing you a good, safe trip. I hope it was fun, it sure did sound like a great time.

And to add to the original topic :o I had never before even heard of Rimadyl but with this big injury Graham had, he spent a couple weeks on it and I would not have had it any other way. He seemed to be very relieved from the pain after he had his wrist popped back into place before the surgery and I imagine, had it not been for Rimadyl, he would have been one ouchie pup! He has not had to use it in a long time but if anything comes up again, I will not hesitate to use it on Graham again. I have heard alot of mixed reviews about it, including dogs who have died suddenly, but I think as long as you are careful with it, problems won't happen as often.

raian
01-21-2002, 04:46 PM
Hi Logan,

Nice to meet another SC lab/golden lover. I like both breeds and have owned both :)

Miss Magnum did really well Sunday when our club had a dogwalk at a local park. She played hard with Hunter, the youngest member of the walk (a 4 month old Golden) and with her best buddy Bandit, a Rotti. But, Monday morning she's got a tad of a limp again! I have noticed that she limps more when she gets up from sleeping. Also, the vet explained to me that "growing pains" usually manifests itself in the front legs, so if she would get lame on the back, well I'd have that checked. For now its in the front, and mainly on her left, but sometimes a little bit on her right. Can't wait until she outgrows it. Otherwise, she is fine.

tatsxxx11
01-21-2002, 05:21 PM
Welcome Raian, from a fellow Lab mom!!! Can we please have some pics of your labbie???:) And Welcome Home to astronaut Logan!!:D And Hi Jackie!! Thanks for asking about us! We're all fine! Give my love to those pupsters! I loved Daisy on Balto's site! Isn't it beautiful????

raian
01-21-2002, 06:05 PM
Let me see if I can post a tiny picture of Miss Mags (aka Magnum)

tatsxxx11
01-21-2002, 06:08 PM
How precious!!:) What a cutie pie you are Miss Mags!!:) Labbie licks and butt wiggles from Star!!

raian
01-21-2002, 06:44 PM
Oh My Gawd, Tats, that puppy is toooooo cute :) Is it a golden or a yellow lab? Ooooo, I want one :)