PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a deaf pet?

Accord
04-17-2005, 04:41 PM
Im a deaf owner of 5 puppies.. (2 of them are sold and 3 of them are ours) and I was wondering if you guys have a deaf pet, and attach picture, or tell me about him/her and how you cope with that kind of situation. Also what you have learned from it.

I dont hear or know that there's any deaf pets lately. But Im sure hoping I hear one someday.

lizbud
04-17-2005, 04:43 PM
Are you deaf or the puppies deaf?

NoahsMommy
04-17-2005, 04:49 PM
I think my Jonah is partially deaf. At least on the side where his eye is blue. He seems to have a harder time hearing us sometimes.

Here's Jonah:
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5dd35b3127cce90f990086dd200000026109BYt2Llq2I

IRescue452
04-17-2005, 05:12 PM
Pepper is deaf. We have to have her on a leash even at the dog park or she will wonder off. We use hand signals for sit, lay down, come and outside. When we need her attention we just tap her and she looks at us for direction.

Fox-Gal
04-17-2005, 05:58 PM
My Mooch is deaf, partially, on top of being blind. She can hear, but we have to YELL, to get her to hear us. We hate to yell, sense people seem to think we are being mean, so a lot of times to get her attention we can tap on the floor and she feels the vibrations and will most aways come to that.

When we take her out, we just lead her around by our movements, sense she does very well with feeling the wind we make in moving and just seem to know to change her heading based on that. Sense she has gone blind, she wouldn't take to a leash anymore, so this is the only thing we have found that works for both, her hearing problem and the blindness.

Her's my Mooch...........she is 18 years young. :D
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v180/Fox-gal/mooch1.jpg

sandragonfly
04-17-2005, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Accord
Do you have a deaf pet?

first of all, welcome accord! you'll certainly love it here - do you sign? and "speak" in what language?

here's my (the other) thread just like the one you posted, I thought I'd add it to here so you can see more! >> Any of Your Pet Deaf? (http://www.petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=74830&highlight=deaf)

enjoy this site... :)

slleipnir
04-17-2005, 07:59 PM
I think di's Miko is deaf

sandragonfly
04-17-2005, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by slleipnir
I think di's Miko is deaf

are you kidding me?? I hope so!! :p di? di? :D

Accord
04-17-2005, 10:15 PM
Im deaf myself, wouldn't that be so cool if all those puppies were deaf? But makes it harder to train of course. lol.

Wow, Im impress! Sweet

I can talk and I can hear with a hearing aide. I know American Sign Language. Its easy to learn, its fun and creative. If you become really good at it, you'll always make someone laugh.

Thank you for the warm welcomes.

Most people say that in cats (I believe only in cats Im not too sure yet) that if ANY breed has blue eyes, means they are deaf. No matter if odd eyed, or both. But I know for a fact that White Persian Cats that have blue eyes/odded eye, are considered deaf. And I think its special because I know animals can be the same as human.

NoahsMommy
04-17-2005, 10:35 PM
Most people say that in cats (I believe only in cats Im not too sure yet) that if ANY breed has blue eyes, means they are deaf. No matter if odd eyed, or both. But I know for a fact that White Persian Cats that have blue eyes/odded eye, are considered deaf. And I think its special because I know animals can be the same as human.
We learned at the last cat show in N. California from a Japanese Bobtail breeder that the reason some cats eyes are bi-colored is because the genes are trying to counteract the deafness. The blue eye side of the head is deaf, but the gold eye side is not.

Interesting, huh?

wolfsoul
04-17-2005, 10:41 PM
But I know for a fact that White Persian Cats that have blue eyes/odded eye, are considered deaf.
Actually this is a complete fallacy. :) My grandma has had many persians, including blue-eyed whites, and the only deaf cat she'd ever had was a white bi-eyed shorthaired domestic. Blue-eyes white cats of any breed are more prone to deafness -- thankfully, from reputable breeding, the percentage of deafness in persians has gone down alot. :D

My cat is white with blue eyes...and sometimes you'd think he's deaf...but he just isn't listening...;)

bckrazy
04-17-2005, 11:22 PM
Miko is deaf :) and he's really smart and attentive to Di. . . more than my hearing dorko ^_~

I just got to meet him today!!! He's sooo cute, and sweet, and mellow. Owning a deaf dog isn't that much different, I don't think, from owning a hearing dog. You cannot allow them off-leash in unfenced areas for their safety, at ALL. It's also not safe to leave them in the backyard, as they could easily get out and not hear cars coming :(

Miko is deaf because his breeder was irresponsible and bred their merle dogs together. . it has something to do with recessive genes and pigement and, I'm too tired right now to go into that :p. When Merle dogs are bred together, there is a good chance that at least one of the puppies will come out deaf or blind, or both. They are awesome dogs and Miko is just like any dog, but I don't agree that it'd be cool if all dogs were deaf because it can be very unsafe and most people don't understand/don't want to spend time working with a deaf or blind pup :(

Ally Cat's Mommy
04-18-2005, 07:05 AM
Welcome to Pet Talk!

My cat Connor is deaf. We only found out after we had adopted him, and the vet did some exploratory surgery to see if it was anything that could be fixed, but it wasn't.

The only problems I have with him are:

1. I have to restrict him to certain areas of the house - for instance he is not allowed in the front lounge where all hubby fancy hi-fi and TV kit is - with Ally we trained her just by shouting "NO"and she know what she wasn't allowed near, but now neither of them are aloowed in the TV room anymore.

2. He and Ally fight a LOT. Ally will verbalise to him when he is too close to her, and because he can't hear, he doesn't back off, so they end up swiping at each other.

LKPike
04-18-2005, 08:10 AM
my first dalmatian was deaf, but I don't remember very much about him, my parents had him when I was 2-3 years old. I just remember him being very playful and happy... like most dal puppies lol. Since Jillian's seizures have started she has moments that make us wonder if her eye sight and hearing are ok. The couple minutes after her seizures we know for a fact she isn't hearing anything because she doesn't respond at all until we touch her. and since the first seizure she has good days and bad days with her sight - bad days she usually trips down some stairs, hits the corner of a wall, etc. on good days shes absolutely normal so who knows :confused: :confused: :confused:

Twisterdog
04-18-2005, 02:03 PM
Lacie is deaf now that she is approaching sixteen years old. She can't go out in the prairie with us anymore, because she wanders aways and can't hear us call. Other than that, she doesn't seem to be affected by it. She just bumbles along in her own little world.

My Peanuts
04-18-2005, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by NoahsMommy
I think my Jonah is partially deaf. At least on the side where his eye is blue. He seems to have a harder time hearing us sometimes.

Here's Jonah:
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5dd35b3127cce90f990086dd200000026109BYt2Llq2I

OMG! Jonah is beautiful. I usually don't go to the cat section because I'm allergic to cats and don't have any. Jonah is stunning!

My Peanuts
04-18-2005, 05:53 PM
Im deaf myself, wouldn't that be so cool if all those puppies were deaf? But makes it harder to train of course. lol.

I don't think it would be "cool" at all. I think ironic would be a better way to describe it. :rolleyes:

Accord
04-19-2005, 01:36 AM
I would agree w/ that.

Its cool... I have finally met a deaf pitbull in Utah, and it was amazing. wow!