PDA

View Full Version : What state is the best to live in?

Palomino21
04-17-2005, 04:03 PM
Out of all 50 US states which one is the best to live in? My husband and I are wanting to move out of Oklahoma and start some where fresh. I posted in cats, since that is where I spend most of my time. Anyway, we are wanting to move to a place where the weather is more stable, (not cold) safe for raising children, and a great state to live in. We own a home business so work is not a problem for us. So can you guys help us figure out where to move to. What state do you live in and why do you love it so much?

Annie

Cincy'sMom
04-17-2005, 04:10 PM
Ohio really is a decent place to live...the weather is generally moderate, with the only serious threats being tornados or blizzards and both are rare. You do get more snow in the Cleveland area (lake effect), but otherwise winters aren't usually too harsh.
The northern part of the state is pretty flat, but there are some gorgeous areas along the lake. The southern part of the state has more hills, and some gorgeous state parks. There are plenty of "big cities" Cincinnati, Columbus, and Cleveland, and lots of nicer mid-sized and smaller towns too. We've got Cedar Point, Kings Island, and the Pro Football Hall of Fame, the Reds, the Bengals, the Indians, the Browns, the Cavs and a pro-hockey team in Columbus. There's the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, some great Art Muesems, and well known Universities.

And...there are LOTS of PTers in Ohio (and the surrounding area)

cookieluver7
04-17-2005, 04:18 PM
I agree with Cincy'smom that Ohio is a really great place to live. Of course I live in Ohio so I would obviously say it's a great place to live! :p I agree with what Cincy'smom said 100%!!

Abby

joycenalex
04-17-2005, 05:48 PM
i've lived here for almost 17 years now, and in my opinion, the nickname "mississippi of the north" (sorry to anyone from mississippi) is coming to truth. the legislatures in ohio have been very sucessful in not fixing the educational structure in this state. the legislature has been directed 3 times by the state supreme court to change the way the schools are funded, and each time the weasels in the house and senate fix it just enough to back off the supreme court. the current governor is very weak politically, and has had poor relations with the legislative branch, so manages to get very little on his agenda done, in fact he specifically pushed for a small tax increase to make ohio more 'competive' by increasing state funds for research and develpoment and the measure went down to defeat, resoundingly. the legislative and executive branch have been held by the same political party for more then 10 years, and yet they fight like 2 spoiled children. the supreme court justices are politicized, and are almost ignored in the long run. i feel that the failures of the government in the area of education, the horrid poverty and lack of improvements in the applachian areas, the inadquate funding for health care, can and does present major problems for the future. some studies have shown that ohio had a 'brain drain' i.e. the graduates of the universities are leaving for better areas of the country. the infrastructure is in decay, the highways are not well maintained, lots of potholes, the electric grid in the privitization push has become a joke , remember the east coast blackout? it was poorly maintained ohio grid lines that led to the recent blackout (sorry new york, michigan , pennsylvania , the rest of the north east and ontario, and was much done to fix it, no, no not really, so keep batteries handy, it might happen again). the lack of sunny days in november, december, january and february is lousy. may, june, september and october are good months though.
and the for those who are wondering why i'm staying despite my dissatification, i'm too many years into my career here to leave and make the money and benifits i do elsewhere, so i'm counting the years to retirement, so i can sell and move on. i wish i felt differently, i really do, i had high hopes when i moved to columbus, but it won't happen here. i'm really sorry about that.

Cincy'sMom
04-17-2005, 06:00 PM
I guess I totally can't disagree with with the points about education, taxes (Thank you governor "Boob Tax") and such. But at the same time, I've never lived anywhere else (expect 6 months in Arizona) so I guess I have always thought problems with the government and education were about the same in every state. Maybe I need to learn more about other states!

I guess I was thinking about the state more from a weather, scenery and "things to do" stand point. It would may depend on what exactly you are looking for in a "better state" to live in!

Karen
04-17-2005, 06:21 PM
I moved this into General, but left the redirect in Cat General. This is where it belongs, and you will also get more responses this way.

What are you looking for? What are your criteria? Our area - Boston suburbs, for example, are a great place to live for culture and educational opportunities. We have four + seasons, so you have to like winter to live here. The downside for many is that property is very expensive, and going up all the time. Many towns and cities have good school systems, it does vary town to town. There's lots to do - Massachusetts has skiing, beaches, and everything in between, the Red Sox, Bruins and Patriots, lots and lots of historical places to visit, world-class museums and music venues, ponds, lakes and state parks ... we like living here. It's also within driving distance of New York City, and even Quebec if you feel the need for French culture!

sandragonfly
04-17-2005, 06:29 PM
do not live in california... :p well the part where I live is so expensive, around the baked grasses. you either get roasted or soggy...those people who live in the very top of california are lucky enough to live in "rainforests" (redwoods, cooler and greener...) -- good luck on state hunting!

Palomino21
04-17-2005, 07:00 PM
I am looking for more of a community type of place. A safe place where I would feel comfortable enough to allow my children when I do have them to play outside. Also, where the people are friendly and the air is clean, less allergie, and the schools are good.

petslover
04-17-2005, 07:01 PM
I live in Mississippi. The people are very nice here, and it's a nice place to live.. Well, besides the weather. It's always very hott here. We have very good food too lol!

sandragonfly
04-17-2005, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Palomino21
I am looking for more of a community type of place. A safe place where I would feel comfortable enough to allow my children when I do have them to play outside. Also, where the people are friendly and the air is clean, less allergie, and the schools are good.

hmm a lot of grumpy people live down here because of unprediction weather :p well there's a small town I grew up in, A WONDERFUL communited little coast town, Pacifica. a lot of children, mothers and family-friend recreations there. (when I have a family, I DEFINITELY will get my *** back there! :) sorry couldn't further help you with where-to-live states, I only know all of their captials and bird names! :)

joycenalex
04-17-2005, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Cincy'sMom
I guess I was thinking about the state more from a weather, scenery and "things to do" stand point. It would may depend on what exactly you are looking for in a "better state" to live in! [/B]
okay, now to be a bit more fair, there are things i do like about ohio. lake erie is getting cleaner, the swimming, picnicing and bird watching is really getting better. the 3 major cities, cleveland, cincinnatti and columbus are all different, with their own flavors and styles, culture and civic events. there are many things to do and see.
and of course, alex the wonder dog, magic and mojo my cats are ohio natives, so there are good things about ohio.
annie, i'd suggest that you look at the major newspapers in the states that you're considering. both the biggest city and the state capital, to see if there is a consistant pattern of complaints about a social problem. do you and your husband like winter, like winter sports, like skiing or snowmobiling. do you like fishing, hiking, mountains, desert or the seaside. i knew i wasn't right for the 'bigness' of a new york, or a chicago, all though i love to visit, and the time i lived in smaller towns i was restless without enough cultural events and excitement, so i looked at university towns, those were large enough to be interesting with cultural activities and small enough (under a million citizens) that i wouldn't be overwhelmed.

delidog
04-17-2005, 08:29 PM
Well,I'll jump on This Bandwagon!!!

I live in a state where people spend literally Billions of dollars...
Just to visit it 1 or 2 weeks a year!!

The Climate is Great!!!!

Shorts and Tees' All Year!!!

You have to replace your X-mas Ornaments w/Dolphins,Manatees,Flamingoes,etc.!!! ;)

There are Great Schools where I live...They call them Magnet Schools...Are you Familiar???
I know there is 1 private school where people come from all over for their kids to attend

Now,Lets' Get to Culture & Entertainment:
Kravis Center...Theatre,Music,Symphony
Ft.Lauderdale...Center for the Performing Arts...Same
Museums.....Everywhere!!!!West Palm,Miami,Ft.lauderdale,Ocala
Miami...South Beach
Orlando...Disney
Agriculture...The Everglades,Silver Springs,Lake Worth,Vero Beach
Culture...Wellington.....Show Jumping,Polo
Ocala....Thoroghbreds
Ocala has Rolling Hills,More of a defined 4 seasons than the rest of the state....
Sarasota.....Lots of Old Money!!!
Though I will say...the West Coast is Beyond Flat...and has NO breeze...stay east if you can...
Can you get into a community????
There are millions w/what You want...
Oh And did I mention Golf?????
Florida was Built on a Golf Course

We have SOOOOOO Much Here!!!
Its' like being on Vaca. every day...
My Best Friend grew up in Oklahoma.....He Loves it Here!!!
As Does Everybody Else!!

Palomino21
04-17-2005, 08:40 PM
Florida was one of the places on my list but I am afraid of the huricanes. California also sounds good except for the earth quakes. Washingon State is next since it is more moderate and seems to stay the same all year around, only it seems so wet. I guess I am being picky but I am ready to get out of Oklahoma. It's time for a new beginning and a fresh new start. Plus, allergies here are killing me.

Karen
04-17-2005, 08:47 PM
If you want to avoid allergies, try the desert states! Any Utah or New Mexico residents wanna chime in?

delidog
04-17-2005, 08:51 PM
Santa Fe,Here!!!!

Culture,Culture,Culture!!!
Beauty,Beauty,Beauty...I lived there for 5 years....I Will Retire there!!!

Don't be fooled...Florida is Great
Don't be Afraid of the hurricanes...you have 2 -10 days warning of them...Calif...No Warning on earthquake...Ok.....No Warning on Tornadoes in Ok.

popcornbird
04-17-2005, 10:00 PM
California is a wonderful state to live in. Earthquakes USUALLY aren't such a big problem...we don't have them for years, and even when we do, they're 'usually' small. Besides...other states have hurricanes, tornados, and other natural disasters that can cause a much greater amount of damage. Unfortunately, every place has its drawbacks.

California is very expensive too, but of course, there are still affordable areas in the state. Unfortunately, those cheaper areas are few, but they do exist. You really have to have a good job to live a decent life in most cities here.

The weather here is gorgeous most of the year. (It rained too much this year ;), but in general, most of the time the weather around here is wonderful year-round.) I have been to SO many parts of the world, and really haven't experienced this wonderful weather anywhere else. I think California's main attraction is the weather. We don't have much humidity at all, so even when we have a heat wave during the summer months, it is still more bearable than a place where you'd have heat AND humidity together. The intensity of summer also depends on the area you live in. Some areas get really hot. Others tend to stay cool year round. There are certain cities near the coast that hardly get hot at all. In general, our summers aren't too hot. They can get hot, but most summers have a hot week or two, and then it cools down again. Winter's nice and mild. The lowest it will get is in the mid 30s in most parts of California, and that is the 'night-time temperature'. It usually stays in the 40s-50s during winter. Spring time can bring allergies for those who are allergic to pollen. Thankfully, I have never had allergies, so it isn't an issue for me, but I know its something that some people would rather avoid. My dad and brother hate spring because of the allergies it brings. The only way to avoid pollen completely would be to move to a desert! :o

All in all, I love California. I was born here and lived here my whole life, and have always loved the state. We have everything from deserts to snowy areas, rocky mountains, fertile mountains and hills, beautiful beaches, numerous rivers, lakes, forests, gorgeous national parks. There are so many BEAUTIFUL breath-taking areas here. You can find pretty much everything in this wonderful state. I also love the agricultural part of California. Good weather year round makes the state perfect to grow all sorts of fruits...pretty much anything. I love the fact that we can grow whatever fruit we want in our own backyard.

People here, in general are very open-minded, and nice, but of course you have jerks everywhere. ;) Another thing I love about California is the diversity. You're accepted for whoever you are by the local people, in general, and that is a good thing. Of course there are good and bad people everywhere. Safety depends on the area/city. Some cities here are incredibly safe, while others have quite high crime ratings. All depends on the city...as California is a very big state. My neighborhood is very safe, and kids play outside around here all the time, but of course not every neighborhood is like that.

Having lived in California my whole life, I can say that besides the outrageous cost of living (which can be a HUGE drawback for some), and occasional earthquakes, its a wonderful state to live in. There aren't many places in the world where you can go skiing one April morning, and come back home to nice 65 degree temperatures on the same day...then go to the beach the next day.

Another state I absolutely LOVE is Oregon. Oregon is just a cheaper California...really. There's more greenry there, and more rain, but otherwise, its very similar to California in so many ways. The good thing...its not expensive. ;) Washington is nice too, but its WAY too rainy for me.

Hope you find the perfect state you're looking for...and I hope this helps in giving a better picture of the good and bad sides of California. ;)

Kfamr
04-17-2005, 10:06 PM
I'd vote Ohio or Utah.
Utah especially.

Florida is FAR from the best. It's the worst state i've ever been to. Of course, if tons of tourists, bugs, hurricanes, humid and hot weather are your thing - it's perfect!

Lacey
04-18-2005, 11:42 AM
Might I recommend TN? Many rural areas and the cities have a nice community feel to them. Gorgeous scenery (with an admittedly high pollen count), mild winters, plenty to do (come check out Dayton, TN's Strawberry Festival!), and near to some nice vacation spots that a few days at the beach are fairly easy to arrange if you can get the time off from work. :D

Kfamr
04-18-2005, 11:51 AM
Tennesee is gorgeous, too! It does get hot like Florida does, unfortunately, though.

finn's mom
04-18-2005, 12:23 PM
I lived in Tumwater (sometimes our address said Olympia), Washington for two years and loved it. Yeah, it rains almost every day, but, it's not a downpour, usually, just showers. And, you get rainbows all the time. And, blue skies, green green grass, and, trees! I never had a problem with allergies there, and, if you like the outdoors, it's a great place. If you like music, too, Seattle is awesome. :) I think you should do some research online, though, there are lots of lists that can help you, especially if you have a criteria. Lists like "safest city", "smartest state", etc. Good luck!

Logan
04-18-2005, 12:57 PM
I can only speak about the places I have visited or lived in. I love living in SC, especially in the town where I reside now. We're withing 30 minutes of the beautiful NC mountains, and we have good schools (public and private) for our children to be educated in. We experience 4 seasons, but none of them severe. We are lucky to get snow once/year. NC is probably a bit more progressive of a state than SC, and I wouldn't mind living there. I also love Tennessee, where I would have moved many years ago, had I not had a young daughter who needed to live closer to her father. Georgia is also a beautiful state, with many good areas.

You need to take a Pet Talk tour, and visit many of us to find that perfect spot!!!! :)

Logan

catland
04-18-2005, 02:08 PM
Oregon is a beautiful state with a little of everything just an hour or two away.
In that time I can be at the coast, the desert, or the mountains. If you like the outdoors there's lots of fishing, hiking, biking, that sort of thing.

People tend to be less hurried and more informal compared to the east coast.

If you want an area that is more liberal in its outlook and politics, than the greater Portland area is the place to be as far as tolerance to gay/lesbian people.

On the downside - some of the policies of the 1990's are backfiring on us. Our school systems lack adequate funding. The state employee pension program is draining our resources. While we seem to have a glut right now in home/apartment rentals, the cost to buy a home is just outrageous. Gasoline prices are some of the highest in the nation and we've been slow to bounce back from the recession.

manda_moo87
04-18-2005, 06:15 PM
I don't live in the states, but if I had the option I'd love to live in either California, Oregon, or Washington. :)

Good luck!

wolf_Q
04-18-2005, 10:24 PM
I live in Utah. A bit of a biased opinion but I think it's very beautiful here. There are many of nice communities. It does get cold in the winter, we do get snow. It's not very humid at all though, which I love.

p.s. If you have pets you don't have to worry about fleas.

Suki Wingy
04-18-2005, 10:34 PM
Ok, I'm a little late with this, but DON'T live in Illinois!;) I visit Arizona and New Mexico a lot and they are both awsome!