PDA

View Full Version : Rescue greyhounds at the mall today!

anna_66
04-16-2005, 12:13 PM
I just happened to be in the mall this afternoon picking up a few things and seen a couple of greyhounds outside. I though "Hmm that's strange-dogs at the mall" and went about my business.
A little later I wandered around and see about 15 greyhounds all together, laying on their bed, being loved on by children and really just getting lots of love and attention from all the people that were around:)

They were having a greyhound rescue awareness/meet & greet.
Wow! I've never met one of these magnificent animals in person...they are simply amazing! What muscles they have and how mellow, sweet, beautiful and lovable they are. I was just amazed. They were all so adorable, they just stood there giving kisses and letting everyone shower their love all over them. It was quite a site!

Of course I got to meet them all but unfortunately I didn't have my camera so I didn't get any pictures:( But let me tell you it was definately the highlight of my day so I thought I would share:D

Uabassoon
04-16-2005, 12:19 PM
I want one so bad! I love seeing the greyhound rescue dogs when I go to different events around Tucson, I'm always so tempted to take one home. Hopefully someday!

lizbud
04-16-2005, 12:40 PM
I've seen them at PetsMart sometimes too. Usually a rescue
group takes them around to promote awareness of the breed.
Pictures don't do them justice that's for sure. They are fantastic
looking animals.:D

GreyhoundDaddy
04-16-2005, 12:54 PM
I'm so glad you got to see and experience a retired racer! And by your description of them, you can sure tell they take their retirement seriously :)

I"ve owned my babydoll for over a year and she's literally changed my life.

I'll post some pics of her later, but I can tell you in no uncertain terms that greyhounds are the best dogs out there.. bar none :)

senorita02
04-16-2005, 01:10 PM
Awww they sound so sweet, i hope they find good loving homes!

GreyhoundDaddy
04-16-2005, 01:17 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/coachgrieber/209Sissers.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/coachgrieber/207SweaterWalk.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/coachgrieber/119EnhancedRunaway.jpg

MsMini
04-16-2005, 01:51 PM
Those retired racers make wonderful pets from what I hear. Maybe someday:)

shais_mom
04-16-2005, 02:33 PM
and you didn't bring one home!!!
;)

Wish I woulda been there Anna!! I always go toward the retrievers and greyhounds.....
wonder why!

sandragonfly
04-16-2005, 05:51 PM
nooooooo! I wanna move there, ohio!! now!! I've always seen SO beautiful and impressive ones..hmmm

cyber-sibes
04-16-2005, 06:04 PM
Our neighbor at our old house had a couple of greyhound rescue dogs, and a whippet. They are beautiful- they look so elegant!

Oggyflute
04-16-2005, 10:20 PM
A lovely story Anna, :) and beautiful pics GHD.:)

Giselle
04-16-2005, 10:23 PM
Aren't Greys the best?
Uabassoon, you know my girl raced at Tuscon and Phoenix. I think her maiden races were at Phoenix and Grade C or something at Tuscon. Or maybe it's the other way around...(Horrible racer :p )

Coach/GreyhoundDaddy, who is that beautiful Grey posing next to Sequoia? She has such a furry tookus!

sammy101
04-16-2005, 10:24 PM
arent greyhounds gorgeous!:D In my mind,they are one of the most beautiful breeds out there,every Grey that i see are absolutely stunning.i can never get enough of them.I would also love to get a few retired racers:)

GreyhoundDaddy
04-17-2005, 10:31 AM
That's Momma Carla... Cathie Lambert's retired momma dog that we flew to LAX and then GUR'd up to my aunt in Washington State.

Kfamr
04-17-2005, 10:42 AM
Aren't they so docile?

I visited the Humane Society the other day (Thursday I think it was??) and there were so many Greys there once again. They're all so sweet.

Here's C.J. one of the sweet track rescues.
http://www.petfinder.com/fotos/FL185/FL185.4222652-1-x.jpg

manda99
04-17-2005, 10:51 AM
they are so awesome in person, aren't they?

i've heard they tend to get along only w/ other greys... is there any truth to that? anyone know?

Kfamr
04-17-2005, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by manda99
i've heard they tend to get along only w/ other greys... is there any truth to that? anyone know?

I think it's probably how they're raised, same with any other dog.

shais_mom
04-17-2005, 09:33 PM

They tend to be ok with other dogs I believe but I do think they bond deeply with other greys. Most people I talk to say if they get another grey they will get 2!

:):D:):D

jcsperson
05-14-2005, 02:35 PM

From birth to the end of their racing careers they have never been apart from other greyhounds. Unlike most puppies who are taken from their mothers at 8 weeks or so, greyhounds stay with their dams for three to six months and with their littermates for a year to 18 months. Their socialization is very much in greyhound culture, rather than the pack dynamics of a human/canine household.

Greyhounds are acclimated to humans throughout their puppyhood, but the pack dynamic is still canine. The boss is at first their dam and then the alpha of the litter after their dam leaves. This process is repeated again in the racing kennel. I think this upbringing makes them very observant of pack dynamics. As my "pack" has changed over the years with the passing of old greyhounds and the addition of younger ones, I'm always amazed at how quickly that dynamic is settled.

As far as other breeds are concerned, I'd be less concerned about bringing a greyhound into a new pack of non-greyhound breeds than a non-grey into a pack of greyhounds.

Greyhounds may not be familiar with other breeds, but they adapt quickly. It's important to work with a group experienced with adopting greyhounds into a variety of home situations so they can help you select the hound most likely to fit into your situation, even if that includes cats.