PDA

View Full Version : should I be worried about the sun and my boys?

elminster20
04-15-2005, 09:11 PM
I remembe way back someone commenting on my boys being albino and to keep them out of the sun, I wondered how seriously I should follow that. Don's more of a sun worshipper than Bob is, but even Bob likes a good afternoon soak once in awhile, I just don't want to damage them!!!!

BigB_Kittys
04-15-2005, 09:45 PM
I have heard that white cats tend to be more susceptible to skin lesions, especially around the ears and nose. I try to keep Snowball out of the window during the brightest parts of the day - that being between the hours of 1:00 and 5:00PM when the UV index is the highest. The good thing is that Snowball is not really a window sun-worshipper and I don't have to worry too much about it. Regardless, because he's a white cat, I keep an eye on his ears and nose in case there are any problems.

Brian,

Ontario, Canada

ashleycat
04-15-2005, 10:00 PM
put some kitty sunscreen, lol do they even make that?

carole
04-15-2005, 10:27 PM
Yes you can buy special kitty sunscreen, with white cats I think it would be essential to put it on their ears and noses, you can get their ears tattooed , that is supposed to help,they are very prone to getting skin cancers in these areas, My nieces RB Juliette was white and had cancer on her ears, so be very aware this could happen to your furbabies, prevention is better than cure.:)

ashleycat
04-15-2005, 10:38 PM
wow, i didnt know they actually made sunscreen for kitties

carole
04-15-2005, 10:41 PM
Neither did I until My niece showed me the sunscreen she had for Juliette,if you can get it down under in NZ, it would be readily available in the states., I would strongly recommend it for any white cats that tend to sunbathe.

smokey the elder
04-16-2005, 07:39 AM
If they're in front of a closed window, it's safe. Glass does not transmit UV. But they shouldn't spend too much time in front of an open window in the sun.

Smokey the Elder's tumor developed on the knee of her back leg, which was white. She loved the sun. There may or may not have been a correlation.

Just like people, moderate sunshine is good for the cats!