PDA

View Full Version : Look what I found in a bucket in the pouring rain today

luckies4me
04-15-2005, 08:28 PM
Well...my bf and I went to the petstore today to look at bunnies. Little did I know I'd come home with two syrian hamsters, both female. The petstore wouldn't take them so they left them outside by the dumpster in the rain, with no food or bedding. I am SO lucky I found them because with the rain the bucket could have easily flooded and they could have drowned. :( And the worst part is they are sooooo sweet! So far anyway. They haven't bit me once. They look fairly healthy. I hope their not pregnant. I cleaned the bucket out and gave them shavings, food, and offered them some water. Now I need to find something bigger to put them in. I am so mad. I don't understand how anyone could just abandon hamsters outside in the cold. :mad:

Well I took some pictures of them. I need names. Any suggestions?

This is the first girl. I can kind of tell them apart because one is a little fatter than the other.

luckies4me
04-15-2005, 08:30 PM
:D

luckies4me
04-15-2005, 08:32 PM
HAHA, I look like such a wimp in the pics with my hand hiding inside my sweater. I did get brave eventually though and handled them with my bare hands.

Uabassoon
04-15-2005, 08:33 PM
Awww! They are so cute!

luckies4me
04-15-2005, 08:34 PM
Full body of the first girl. Her eye looks watery in that last pic. :(

luckies4me
04-15-2005, 08:36 PM
Second girl getting some water. This is what they were in. :mad:

luckies4me
04-15-2005, 08:37 PM
Close up of the second girl drinking.

GraciesMommy
04-15-2005, 08:38 PM
They just left them outside to die?? I can't believe that! So glad you got them and they will be ok now!
They are really cute!

luckies4me
04-15-2005, 08:39 PM
Trying to convince her to come out of the bucket so I can check how she walks etc. It took her awhile but once out she seemed to like the attention. They are definitely scared though. :(

luckies4me
04-15-2005, 08:56 PM
The second girl. They might have mites as her face has scabs, but maybe they were fighting or with others. No idea as I have no clue where they came from.

Oggyflute
04-15-2005, 08:59 PM
Glad you were able to help them mate. I do have a thing against a business that looks upon animals as a stock commodity.

luckies4me
04-15-2005, 08:59 PM
I don't know who left them. I was inside the petshop talking to Patti (I used to work at this store) and while I was looking at the rabbits I heard her talking about how she couldn't take something. So I went over there and asked her if she was talking about rats, cuz I would have taken them but she said hamsters. Well when we left outside by the dumpster was the bucket. There was a man who said someone left them there because they store wouldn't take them (I guess he asked too?) or he could have been the one who dropped them off. Either way, I just picked them up and took them home.

luckies4me
04-15-2005, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Oggyflute
Glad you were able to help them mate. I do have a thing against a business that looks upon animals as a stock commodity.

:confused:

They didn't belong to the petshop. But they couldn't take them because they are older, and they can't risk them fighting with others. I totally agree with the petshop as they can't risk their animals fighting, but the person should have took them to the humane society or something, instead of just dumping them. :(

Here are the two of them together. With bedding and food. Gotta clean a rescue cage so they don't have to live in the bucket!

luckies4me
04-15-2005, 09:05 PM
Oh now that I re-read my first post it sounds like I'm saying the petstore abandoned them. No, it wasn't them, but their owner. Whoever the hell that was. Wouldn't exactly call them owners though!

Oggyflute
04-15-2005, 09:07 PM
Ok, sorry I was under the impression the Pet Store did. My disdain shall be directed to the horrible person who put them there.:)

luckies4me
04-15-2005, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Oggyflute
Ok, sorry I was under the impression the Pet Store did. My disdain shall be directed to the horrible person who put them there.:)

Really. I can't believe it. I am starting to wonder if the guy who asked about them was actually their owner, and just let us take them. :confused:

Oggyflute
04-15-2005, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by luckies4me
Really. I can't believe it. I am starting to wonder if the guy who asked about them was actually their owner, and just let us take them. :confused:

Sounds very much like it. Whether it was himself or possibly his children, who got bored with them, it still defies belief the someone would be so callous to an animal.:(

carole
04-15-2005, 09:26 PM
Well Cass I am sure glad you were there to rescue them, poor babies, how about Amber and Topaz for names, just an idea?:)

Suki Wingy
04-15-2005, 09:32 PM
Awh, what cuties! They are so lucky for found them. Are you keeping them??

luckies4me
04-15-2005, 09:34 PM
Well whoever had them obviuosly played with them because they are really sweet. I was just playing with the first girl. :D They are so soft and silky. :)

luckies4me
04-15-2005, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Suki Wingy
Awh, what cuties! They are so lucky for found them. Are you keeping them??

Possibly. hehehe:p

luckies4me
04-15-2005, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by carole
Well Cass I am sure glad you were there to rescue them, poor babies, how about Amber and Topaz for names, just an idea?:)

Topaz is really cute! I don't like the name Amber though. Long story. :p

QueenScoopalot
04-15-2005, 10:05 PM
Topaz is really cute! I don't like the name Amber though. Long story. :p
How about Gem, or Ruby for the other one? At least you sort of have to give credit to the cretins who dumped them, in that they didn't set them free. :rolleyes: Granted being in a bucket is still dumping them, but their survival chances would be slim-zero if they were not in the bucket. ;) Can we please ship all these people who abandon animals to a remote island devoid of any living things? PLEASE?? :confused: :mad:

luckies4me
04-15-2005, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by QueenScoopalot
How about Gem, or Ruby for the other one? At least you sort of have to give credit to the cretins who dumped them, in that they didn't set them free. :rolleyes: Granted being in a bucket is still dumping them, but their survival chances would be slim-zero if they were not in the bucket. ;) Can we please ship all these people who abandon animals to a remote island devoid of any living things? PLEASE?? :confused: :mad:

OMG, Ruby is totally fitting!!! Ok, Topaz for the first girl (funny I can tell them apart :D) and Ruby for the chubby girl. :D

And yes, lets ship them somewhere!

tikeyas_mom
04-15-2005, 11:09 PM
that is so harsh..

they look healthy though. nice orange teeth and nice fur coloring..

i hope they will be ok...
i cant believe someone would just leave them in a bucket outside to die. stupid petstore... :(

i am in awe.. they are so precious.. take care of though girls. they deserve a good home..

luckies4me
04-16-2005, 12:13 AM
They'll definitely have a good home! I've had hammies all my life. :) Plus, I already have a black bear hammy named Tron. Anyways, the girls are just awesome. They are super friendly and love to cuddle with me. Their fur is so soft I cannot stop rubbing my face against their body. :p

carole
04-16-2005, 12:29 AM
Cass I am glad you liked Topaz and chose it, I think Ruby is a darling name as well, two precious little gems aren't they?:) :D :cool:

luckies4me
04-16-2005, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by carole
Cass I am glad you liked Topaz and chose it, I think Ruby is a darling name as well, two precious little gems aren't they?:) :D :cool:

Heh, I didn't even think about that til you said that! :D :p

luckies4me
04-16-2005, 01:54 AM
I had my bf hold them so I could get some better up close pics. :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/RompingRatties/topaz.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/RompingRatties/ruby.jpg

I gotta take them in to get their teeth clipped. They're way too long.

chrissycat21
04-16-2005, 07:31 AM
What beautiful hammies they are! I'm so glad you found them, now they'll be healthy and happy and have a great home. :)

lute
04-16-2005, 08:32 AM
that's great that you took those two in! they are very lucky hammies!:D

KYS
04-16-2005, 11:56 AM
I am so glad you saved them.
They are adorable.

luckies4me
04-16-2005, 04:42 PM
Thanks everyone. I'll try to get some more pics tomorrow sometime. Tonight we're going to go buy them tons of stuff. :D

Fur&Feathers
04-16-2005, 07:53 PM
They're so adorable. I'm so glad you found them. :) They're in good hands now.

luckies4me
04-16-2005, 08:52 PM
What's funny is my sister just got a little Panda Bear hamster too, LOL. :D I'm trying to convince her to post pics right now. :p

cheetahgurly1
04-16-2005, 09:05 PM
Aww..the hamsters are so cute!! I was gonna buy one of that kind but i decided to get a black and white one. It's good you found the hamsters. Well here's a pic of my hamster!

luckies4me
04-16-2005, 09:08 PM
Angilece, I'm going to make you a signature for your hammie k sis? :D

cheetahgurly1
04-16-2005, 09:10 PM
I was so happy I got a hamster sis! She's so cute and she sleeps on her back sometimes..she does weird things. HaHa.:D

luckies4me
04-16-2005, 09:13 PM
What are Baby and Blacky doing?

flamepony12
04-16-2005, 09:13 PM
what cuties!! :D That was really nice of you to rescue them. I know they'll have a great home with you!! Cute names, too ^_^

luckies4me
04-16-2005, 09:14 PM
Oh and you should edit your profile so your hamster is included. ;)

luckies4me
04-16-2005, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by flamepony12
what cuties!! :D That was really nice of you to rescue them. I know they'll have a great home with you!! Cute names, too ^_^

Did you see my sister's baby hammie too? :D

cheetahgurly1
04-16-2005, 09:16 PM
Okay sis. Well here's Pretty Pretty!

luckies4me
04-16-2005, 09:18 PM
Aww. I miss the birds and stuff. And tell Tristan to clean his toads tank!!!

flamepony12
04-16-2005, 09:19 PM
Did you see my sister's baby hammie too? :D

how cute!! ^_^

bckrazy
04-17-2005, 01:53 AM
aww! Topaz and Ruby are super cute!! ^_^ your sisters panda bear hammy is soooo adorable, she looks so fuzzy and soft

GAWD, those hamster are so lucky to have been rescued by you, Cass! -.- I cannot believe how stupid and mean people are, sometimes.

DejaVu
04-18-2005, 09:26 PM
Congrats to you. I'm assuming that now that you have them they are living alone? They are solitary creatures and can/will kill each other when no one is looking, but I think you already know that. Hope they live a nice long life. They sure are a lot different from rats! ;)

Also, responding to the above post, panda bear is not a real type of hamster. It is just a black banded syrian hamster. Banded being the pattern, black being the colour.

http://www.geocities.com/calhamassoc/SolitarySyrian.html

luckies4me
04-18-2005, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by DejaVu
Congrats to you. I'm assuming that now that you have them they are living alone? They are solitary creatures and can/will kill each other when no one is looking, but I think you already know that. Hope they live a nice long life. They sure are a lot different from rats! ;)

Yes I know this, but a lot of Syrians if grown up together can live happily together. At least that is my experience having kept hamsters since a child. If the case was they never met, I would never keep them together. Right now they are way too inseperable to seperate. They groom eachother and will not sleep alone at all. If they start bickering I will place them in seperate cages, but for now I feel the best thing for them is to keep them together. And yes, they are definitely different than rats.

luckies4me
04-18-2005, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by DejaVu

Also, responding to the above post, panda bear is not a real type of hamster. It is just a black banded syrian hamster. Banded being the pattern, black being the colour.

I know this. ;) Just like teddy bears, and black bears are the same as well. ;)