PDA

View Full Version : Cat tooth-brushing: tips requested

AmberLee
01-16-2002, 07:09 PM
Hi all,

I am attempting to impliment the "Four steps to Feline Tooth-brushing" recommended in a cat health newsletter.

1) Bring feline based toothpaste and toothbrush into the home.

2) Introduce same to feline.

3) Allow feline to lick toothpaste from brush. Allow it to be a game.

4) Gently brush feline's teeth.

Sounds simple, right? We have 1 down cold. Livvy won't let me get within 6 feet of her -- perhaps we are at 1 1/2. Cassy likes the malt flavored toothpaste, but ADORES the seafood flavor (don't ask) and is fond of his toothbrush -- carries it with him behind the T.V., into the kitchen, dips it in his water dish. He panicks when I try to put the head of the brush in his mouth, though. Stumped at 3. Therefore our household average is 2 1/4. (I'm good at brushing my teeth: suppose it's cheating to add my numbers into the household average...)

Have any of you tried introducing cat tooth-brushing to your fur-kids? Any successes? Lessons learned? Helpful hints?

I'm rather discouraged and would like feedback. Thanks.

LoudLou
01-16-2002, 08:25 PM
My Bonzo lets me with no problem, although the back ones are still a little tricky. I use a really small baby tooth brush and hold it while he chews on it.... Mocha Bean, however is a lesson learned...Make sure to clip the "claws of death" before trying to brush her clenching teeth :) We are still working on her. I got some dental crunchies for the vet, she does not like them... Oh, well, try again.

AmberLee
01-16-2002, 09:00 PM
We seem to be stuck on the transition from licking the paste off the brush to allowing the bristles to touch the teeth. How did you make the transition?

We're relying on Pounces Tartar control for now with moderate success... :rolleyes:

Thanks for the feedback!

LoudLou
01-16-2002, 09:35 PM
I bought C.E.T from the vet and it's for dogs AND cats. Louie (corgi) get's his teeth brushed every night before bed... I am blessed with furkids who live by the rule 'If the dog does it, I can too!" Louie gets so happy when I grab his toothbrush and the paste.... Guess Bonzo just doesn't want to be left out of the party:) All I can say is keep trying:)

thelmalu99
01-17-2002, 09:49 AM
I have tried, and have the scars to prove it. :rolleyes:

AmberLee
01-17-2002, 12:56 PM
:D :D Oh Chuck/Spence!

I wasn't expecting that at all. Started laughing my head off and had to explain it to nosy co-workers.
:o Yep, being a bad girl checking out PT at work.

Thank you for the suggestion, but I don't think I'll try that one until things get really desperate!

NoahsMommy
01-18-2002, 08:05 PM
hee hee....funny Chuck!!!

Haven't tried to do Noah or Noel's teeth yet, but I did notice that at a Cat Show last weekend... I'm kind of apprehensive after hearing about Cassy and Livvy. How often are you trying to do this this?

AmberLee
01-21-2002, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by NoahsMommy
...How often are you trying to do this this?

:o Not very consistently. It does go better when I try to be consistent... Just starting with Livvy. Re-introducing Cassy to it.

AmberLee
01-23-2002, 06:40 PM
I've seen three types of cat tooth-brushes. Which works the best for you?

1) Finger-stall type: slides over the (human) finger. -- My kids DO NOT like this one

2) Mini-brush/mini-head: q-tip sized brush with mini-head -- So far the best luck getting the kids to lick the paste and almost touching the teeth with this one.

3) Regular toothbrush handle/mini-head: Easiest for me to hold; Cassy likes playing with this one, carries it around the house (hardest to find when I need it, ironically)

Which size works the best for you?

tatsxxx11
01-23-2002, 08:10 PM
Psssssssssst.....Livvy.......Oliver LOVES sparkling, white toofies!!;)

AmberLee
01-23-2002, 08:42 PM
Dear Sandra,

Thanks tons. Now I'll be brushing her teeth 6 times a day! :eek: ;) :rolleyes: :D :p

AmberLee
01-24-2002, 02:19 PM
Sandra!

I should've appealed to Oliver for help ages ago. I held Olivia and tried to brush her teeth last night and was telling her how Oliver LOVES clean teeth. She was an angel -- let me brush every tooth. We had a bit of trouble with the paste on the face and whiskers, but it was soooo much easier than usual.

I've loved the made up romance, but it's as though it's turning real for Livvy.

Mind blowing!

tatsxxx11
01-25-2002, 03:51 PM
What a woman won't put up with for the love of a "man!" Good girl Livvy dear. I passed the word to "da man" and he just about fainted. No time for slacking! Guess who's busy primping now!!!? We're talking one groomed and fluffy, kittycured, mat free, eau de fresh spiffed kitty!!!:)

sasvermont
02-07-2002, 07:47 AM
I do brush my cats' teeth weekly and clip their nails. I first grab them one at a time and put them into a cut off sweat shirt sleeve allowing their little head to stick out leaving their claws and paws within the sleeve. They also get pills this way, when necessary, of course. The sweat shirt sleeve is very, very thick.... and soft and confines them just enough so that they have room to wiggle, but because their fat heads are at the cuff end, they can't escape! Works every time. Sometimes they run when they see the sleeve, but I leave it out all the time...so they never know when they will be "wearing" it! Hope this helps! =^..^=

wolflady
02-07-2002, 12:42 PM
LOL LOL Livvy and Oliver, you guys are just too too cute. On the toothbrushing issue, I really would like to get started on my Marius. Scooter needs a professional tooth cleaning something terrible as his breath is so rank. I'm talking wall paper peeling, rank! :o
I was almost wondering if the "toothbrush" that fits over the finger would work well for Marius as he has this tendency to rub his face/mouth on my fingers when I'm washing my hands in the morning. He only exhibits this behavior in the morning when I'm going my pre-work morning duties. It's funny, because he just started this recently. He'll stand on the toilet and put his front paws on the sink where I am brushing my teeth, washing my face...etc. So, I'll hold my fingers over his mouth and water will drip right in! It's so funny, but hard to explain, but on occasion I notice that I'm touching his teeth when he's rubbing my wet fingers. Maybe he's a good candidate for toothbrushing? What do you think? Both of my boys really need the professional cleaning done, then I should take up on the maintenance. Is Feb. cat dental month? I thought it was, but I haven't seen any flyers for discounts on the tooth cleaning yet...