PDA

View Full Version : help with finding a leash

finn's mom
04-15-2005, 12:52 PM
Ok, I'm getting to the point where I want to get Finn a nice leash and collar set. I love leather, but, most of the collars and leashes are uncomfortable. I have seen (once, I think it was at Petco) leashes and collars that have this comfort padding inside the collar and also inside the hand loop on the leash. But, I can never find anything that is like that with the extra loop by the dog's collar (for walking through traffic and for big dogs). I want to find something like that, any suggestions? It doesn't have to be leather, really, just not nylon. I have seen some that were made of hemp, and, if I could find a hemp leash with the extra big dog loop, I'd probably get one. Petsmart carries hemp leashes and I may just cave and buy one, but, I'd rather have one with that extra loop. Anyway, if anyone knows of a site I can go to or has any suggestions at all, please let me know! Thanks!

lv4dogs
04-15-2005, 12:54 PM
Yes, a lot of leather leads/collars seem uncomfotable at first but once they are worn in they are great! Well at least the good quality brands are. They don't take too awful long to wear in either, especially if you wet them & play with them often at first.

I have not seen a doupl loop leash other than leather or regular nylon either. Sorry I can't help you there.

finn's mom
04-15-2005, 01:02 PM
Thanks, though! I know, I've looked at some leather leashes I know would eventually be comfortable. I may just see if I can make a leather leash myself, the way I want it with that double loop. I just love that loop! :)

cali
04-15-2005, 01:04 PM
extra loop on the collar..flyball collars have that

http://www.lilbratspetservices.com/sport_collars.jpg

this the type of dealy that you want?

lol I think I misread yours post... lol

finn's mom
04-15-2005, 01:34 PM
Ha ha, it's ok! That would work just as well, right? I mean, the loop on the leash is simply so that you can hold the dog closer without having to wrap six feet of leash around your hand - ouch! Have you ever seen those nylon flyball collars in leather or other materials? I don't have anything against nylon, it's just all he's had, and, I'm wanting to find something different. And, speaking of that, too, I was wondering if anyone has seen enamel painted metal letters that you can slide over the dog's collar to spell their name out. I've seen them with little rhinestones, but, that's too glam for Finn! ;)

Muddy4paws
04-15-2005, 02:05 PM
I know what loop collars you want!! lol i saw some last night and thought they were great :p If u still want to find some pm me and il look through my history :)

bckrazy
04-15-2005, 04:43 PM
I got my sisters Labbie boy, Buddy, one of those padded nylon collars :) those are really nice!

I love leather collars too . . they last SO much longer, and they don't get as dirty/chewed on as nylon collars. I L O V E this site for its leather collars. . Link ^_^ (http://www.my-shops.net/generalcollars.htm) . . if you look at the first collar, its a leather collar with your dogs name embroidered! :p Its kinda like what you're looking for, with the slide-on letters. Personally, I dunno if the slide-on letters would be that durable? I can imagine Gonzo breaking them instantly, he runs around and slides after his ball so he needs a tough collar. I've seen quite a few leather leashes with an extra handle. They're usually on training sites, like this one (http://www.fordogtrainers.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=46) Just search Google for "leather dog leash with extra handle" or something like that.

Giselle
04-15-2005, 05:29 PM
LOL, bckrazy, you know the owner of that site is a greyhound person?:p

Personalized leather collars and leashes:
Long Dog Leather (www.LongDogLeather.com )

At one point, they were using Coach defect leather. I haven't ordered anything from Long Dogs, yet, but I plan to buy a leather leash from them.

bckrazy
04-15-2005, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Giselle
LOL, bckrazy, you know the owner of that site is a greyhound person?:p

~__^ yess, it's hard not to notice!! you greyhound people are obsessed with collars. . LOL. I like their dog shirts too, they're waay cuter than most.

that site you posted is SO freakin nice, I want one!! I saw a collar that was $80 :eek:

finn's mom
04-15-2005, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the sites, guys! I'm really trying to find red leashes, too, but, that one with the extra handle is nice! I might go ahead and just get black. Did you see the stupid photo they had when you click on the leash? Geez. At least, I think it's funny.

Giselle
04-15-2005, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by bckrazy
~__^ yess, it's hard not to notice!! you greyhound people are obsessed with collars. . LOL. I like their dog shirts too, they're waay cuter than most.

that site you posted is SO freakin nice, I want one!! I saw a collar that was $80 :eek:

ROTFLMAO! My mom wishes we got another Pekingese so there's no point in buying fancy collars:p What I really want is an Around the Hounds rhinestone collar. Soooo pretty and elegant! I don't think she has any more, but another person is selling rhinestone collars, so my little girl gets to be all prettied up.

LauraT7
05-04-2005, 01:44 PM
I have one of these - It's nylon, but I LOVE it -
it's the most versatile leash I have ever owned, and i only wish it came in leather or PURPLE to match Fizzy's collar -

http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444178 0394&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302025650&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023689&bmUID=1115231801290

it's called a 'Euro leash" and it has a clip on EACH end, and "D" rings mounted in various spots along the leash - you can make it a regular leash with a loop on the end, a 4' leash with the 'extra' loop by the collar, you can fasten it around a table leg or tree to tie the dog up, or loop it around your body for hands-free walking ( though I personally would not recommend walking an exhuberant golden that way! LOL!) it can also hook easily onto another leash to make them longer.....

I know you are looking for a leather leash, but actually, if you check with the crafters at craft fairs and such, or a leather shop they could make you one, - or you could, yourself, as you mentioned. and this would be a very versatile version!

I know that years ago when we trained our first goldens in the mid 80's, the training school we went to in Addison, IL made their own leather leashes - which I still have. they are really nice, and last forever - esp if they are 'braided' not 'sewn' which weakens the leather.

laura

LauraT7
05-04-2005, 01:46 PM
now I notice that they DO carry this in leather! - they didn't when I got mine! (or at least, they didn't have them in the store!)

you can order one, if you local store doesn't have them!

laura

anna_66
05-04-2005, 02:20 PM
Since you say your looking for a leash with an extra short handle, have you ever thought about a collar that has a handle? They make some very nice ones here and the can be personalized too!
We will be getting on for Bon when he grows up;)
BLOCKY DOGS (http://www.blockydogs.com/collars.htm) Good luck finding what you want!

Suki Wingy
05-04-2005, 04:14 PM
Good luck on finding the perfect leash! To tell you the truth, I don't think I could settle on just one. Petsmart has some that look worn, but they are brand new nylon, and the inside of the handle is fleece. bckrazy, I love some of the southwestern collars from the first link you posted, but maybe in the far future when I finally get my catahoula, I tend to like nylon and cotton better, even when it comes to horse halters.

TinyMityMo
05-18-2005, 10:27 AM
Hi, I'm Maureen, owner of LongDog Leather Works. I was checking my webstats and saw that someone over here put a link to our site so I came over to snoop about what was being said.

We start with the hide of a cow so we can custom make anything that we can come up with a pattern for - certainly a leather leash with the extra handle down at the clip. We could dye it a variety of colors too. Our leashes are limited in length to the size of the cow, so sometimes we have a difficult time with the longer lengths as we need the extra to fold down for the handle and to fasten the clip. We triple rivet all our connections and only use the super safe trigger snaps (sort of like a circle that opens into a rounded W look).

Come on in and take a look at our stuff - LongDog Leather Works (http://www.longdogleather.com)
Thanks, Maureen

Giselle
05-18-2005, 08:05 PM
Oops! I hope you're alright with me pasting a link to your website :o

TinyMityMo
05-19-2005, 08:31 AM
Oh, by all means - that's how our business grows! I just like to come and snoop to see what people are saying and chime in if neccessary (like I did above).
No worries, mate!
;)