PDA

View Full Version : What is a good digital camera

mina'smomma
04-15-2005, 10:56 AM
I'm looking to purchase a new digital camera and everything is confusing. I see 2,3,4 and 5 pixels and everything from Canon and HP to Vivatar and DXP.

What is a good inexpensive camera? I'm looking at HP 435 with dock system.

PJ's Mom
04-15-2005, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by mina'smomma
What is a good inexpensive camera? I'm looking at HP 435 with dock system.

Well...

I just bought one last week and while the pictures are ok, I've never seen anything go through batteries that fast in my life! :( I can take between 20 - 30 pics and then I have to change the batteries. :eek: That was the one downfall most people listed in their reviews...of course I didn't read them until after I bought the camera. :rolleyes: Thank goodness I have lots of rechargeable batteries here.

If you'd like to see some of the pics, go here. (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=76701)

EDIT: I guess in all fairness I should add that I like everything else about the camera. It's easy to use, and that's a big plus with me. I don't have time to mess with complicated cameras. ;)

catnapper
04-15-2005, 11:09 AM
PJs Mom has a point. Sometimes you buy a less expensive thing to start, but the batteries and such kill you in the long run. We bought my daughter a Polaroid 3 mega pixel for Christmas. Talk about a lousy camera, we got what we paid for. It eats batteries and doesn't take clear sharp pictures. It was around $100. I'd have rather spent twice that amount and had somethign more useful.

wolfsoul
04-15-2005, 11:44 AM
I have a Canon A95 and I love it. The quality is great, it's easy to use, etc. Though the price has gone down, I'm sure it's still in the expensive range. I bought mine on Boxing Day for, I think, $480 Canadian. Plus tax it came out to $550 Canadian.

It's best to get a recharger and rechargable batteries. It really saves money. And if you set your camera up to take smaller pictures, I find that the batteries last ALOT longer. If I keep my camera on the mode that takes large pictures, my batteries are burned in ten minutes. I put it on the second-smallest mode, and my batteries will last a whole day.

tricollie4me
04-15-2005, 11:49 AM
I've been very happy with my Sony Cybershot DSC-P100. It's a 5.1 mp and has a lithium battery (I've never changed it, and I've owned it for a year now!). The photos are beautiful (the camera has a very high quality lens), they print up beautifully (I just use Ofoto for that) and I'm able to take video. We did upgrade the memory card but with the larger memory I can take/hold a ton of photographs at a time without having to upload them to my computer and then delete them off the memory card file. This camera will do us nicely for quite a long time, I'm sure. :)

shais_mom
04-15-2005, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by PJ's Mom
Well...

I just bought one last week and while the pictures are ok, I've never seen anything go through batteries that fast in my life! :( I can take between 20 - 30 pics and then I have to change the batteries. :eek: That was the one downfall most people listed in their reviews...of course I didn't read them until after I bought the camera. :rolleyes: Thank goodness I have lots of rechargeable batteries here.

If you'd like to see some of the pics, go here. (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=76701)

EDIT: I guess in all fairness I should add that I like everything else about the camera. It's easy to use, and that's a big plus with me. I don't have time to mess with complicated cameras. ;)

My first camera sucked the life out of batteries like no other also!!
I would buy them at Dollar General and go thru them like candy. RECHARGEABLE batters are a GODSEND!!! Pricey at first but if you get the charger with 4 batteries you can alternate them. My second camera is also a Fuji finepix and it came with rechargeable batteries and a recharger and I noticed a huge difference in the amount of pics I can take with the rechargeables.

I got my camera at www.circuitcity.com but it wasn't inexpensive but WAS a killer deal. Mine is 6 MP.
You can check at Walmart I got my first one there. Also check www.ebay.com just be careful with that. Kelly Noah's Mommy just ordered one from ebay but don't think she has gotten to play with it yet b/c she has been in the hospital.

Shady
04-15-2005, 01:43 PM
I have a Canon A85 and it's 4 MP. It takes very good pictures, it also takes 4 AA batteries. My last camera, a Pentax took only 2.

I would suggest buying a battery charger and extra batteries with whatever you choose because you will go through regular ones like candy.

I bought an Engergizer quick charger (from Sam's Club in N. Y.) If I remember correctly the charger was $30 and came with 4 AA batteries and 2 AAA. They also have packages of 8 extra batteries for around $17.-18.

I can take 150-200 pictures before having to recharge them. And having extras there's always charged batteries available. The charger is also a quick charge (15 minutes)

The one time cost will certainly pay off, especially when you're learning.

catmandu
04-15-2005, 01:44 PM
THE CAMERA,THAT KOXKA SENT IS A KODAK CX7330,AND YOU HAVE ALLSEEN,THE PHOTOS,THAT IT TAKES.ITS A 3.I MEGAL PIXEL,AND I THINK,LISTS AT ABOUT $150.00.aND THE rECHARGABLE BATTERIES,ARE INDEED A GODSEND,ESPECIALLY,WHEN TRYING,TO TAKE PHOTOS,OF SCRAPPY2.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/catphotos1118.jpg

MY PHOTOS,COME OUT,VERY WELL INDEED.

cloverfdx
04-15-2005, 11:43 PM
I have a Samsung Digimax 401, 4.0MP, Video, etc. It takes terrible photo's though, Action shots are just blurs and the macro (Close up) is shocking. The only good thing is i can take upto 500 photos before having to change batteries.

It is a fairly small camera and very easy to use, and actually does take good videos. I paid about $300 Australian dollars for it.

Attached photo is of a friends Boston barking ;).

Uabassoon
04-15-2005, 11:58 PM
I have a Canon A80, I love it.

here's a sample photo.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v68/uabassoon/tibby_filtered.jpg

NoahsMommy
04-16-2005, 12:02 AM
I just ordered a Canon A95 and its sitting on my desk in its box at work, while I'm stuck in the hospital. ;) I think I'll try and get it tomorrow if I'm well enough.

I got that one because of the others on PT that have it and always take amazing photography.

:)