PDA

View Full Version : When do Puppys get out of the Silly puppy stage?!

joanofark
04-14-2005, 09:44 PM
Max is in that Silly, dumb puppy stage! I mean he's quite comical at times, he trips on his self, he bumps into things, he will sit there and bark at me (or Duke) until you get up and play with him. But other times he's chewing EVERYTHING up. I know ALL puppys chew on things but he will chew up/ eat almost anything! Like today, I sat my CD headphones up on our TABLE, and I went inside for FIVE minutes and I come back out and the head phones were in a million peices on the ground! They cost over 20 dollars! He has also chewed up, I know, over 10 bowls!

My question is: When does this Stage end?

:confused: :p

chocolatepuppy
04-14-2005, 10:04 PM
Some dogs at one.....
Some dogs at two.....
Some dogs at three.....

get the picture? :D

And if you have one like my Lacey, well, she's going on five and still thinks she's a puppy! :)

cocker_luva
04-14-2005, 10:43 PM
fortunatly (and unfortunatly at the same time) some dont grow out of the spunky pup stage. lol :D

Bigyummydog
04-15-2005, 12:50 AM
god forbid, they grow OUT, of their puppy stage...when MAXIMUS and i first came into kevin and pressley's life, i did warn them...
if you don't want the baby to have it....put it away, close the door, do what ever it takes to save it(just as any mother in their
right mind would say)...well, they each figured out, i wasn' t just
making noise...(that's what they get)...now they both know that, "gimme that" is NOT the thing to say if you ever want to see anything that remotely resembled the thing they wanted to keep.........were they or were they not warned???...please correct
me if i was wrong.....anyway, they couldn't love MAXIMUS anymore
than i would have wished...that's what they get....hee, hee!!!!!!!

gkristian
04-15-2005, 03:39 AM
Well it all depends on the breed. Usually if it’s a smaller breed they tend to get out of the silly mood quicker then large breeds, but it also depends on the individual dog. I mean Foxy is three and he is still pretty silly. And don’t say to yourself “I cant wait for him to stop being silly” because if you think that’s a problem at the moment as soon as he grows out of it he will create something else. And not only that enjoy it while you can because it only happens once.

anna_66
04-15-2005, 08:03 AM
Oh I know the feeling all too well! Bon is 9 months and is even crazier than when he was 4-5 months old. I think it just took him longer to get into the silly puppy stage. Our only problem is that he's not just a puppy, he's a 120 lb puppy:eek:
I know for us it will probably be another couple of years, but that's ok...we knew all about it before we got him:D

So don't feel bad, your not going through it alone!

joanofark
04-15-2005, 08:57 AM
Max Sounds like all your dogs.

Anna~ Max is 8 months and he weighs almost 100 pounds, and he is the same size as Duke!

gkristian~ Oh yay, he's a Saint Bernard/Great pyrenees mix so he should grow out of it when he's about FIVE! lol!

Thanks for the replys everyone:)

tricollie4me
04-15-2005, 09:31 AM
Yikes, I'm really hoping that Bijou (five months, 28 lbs) moves quickly from this rambunctious stage...I love her um, er, her enthusiasm (yeah, that's it!) but I wouldn't mind it if she was just a bit more predictable!

I'm having fun with the puppy stage, but I admit I can't wait until she's more of a couch potato! Or at least leaves my dinner alone!

finn's mom
04-15-2005, 09:47 AM
I think it does depend on the breed. Finn, being a labrador retriever, is 16 months old and still acts like a complete spaz. :) I love it, though. It's the main reason I got a lab. I love the puppy stage.

petslover
04-15-2005, 10:36 AM
Ziggy turns 3 in August and she thinks she is a puppy! Ziggy is the most hyper dog I have ever seen. I hardly ever catch her being still. Even at night she is running around with toys in her mouth. She is just one energetic dog. I love Ziggy though. She's my buddy.

finn's mom
04-15-2005, 10:42 AM
joanofark, how old is max? they all go through a teething stage just like babies. i know finn never seemed to mess with big, stationary objects (like sofas, chairs, tables, etc), but, he chewed anything and everything else. my only suggestion is to put everything up high and leave him unsupervised for as little as possible. finn ate a pair of oakley sunglasses (over $200), he chewed up about $30 in bills (I was so broke at the time, I had to tape them all together, let me tell you how much fun that was!), probably forty pairs of flip flops, my driver's license, shoes, bowls, underwear, tubes of ointment, you name it. i crated him when i wasn't home and while i slept for awhile. he's pretty trustworthy now, but, he'll get destructive if he feels slighted or ignored in some way. ;) my friend's lab was ten times worse, though, because he never crated him, and, couldn't discipline him as he tore things up. he got into everything! he dug in plants, chewed up sofa cushions, broke ceiling fan light fixtures, everything! seriously, though, just try to keep everything up high. or crate max, if you don't already.

lv4dogs
04-15-2005, 11:25 AM
Raustyk is 7 years, acts like 7 months, except she doesn't chew anything.

joanofark
04-15-2005, 03:14 PM
finn's mom~ 8 months:rolleyes: :eek:

finn's mom
04-15-2005, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by joanofark
finn's mom~ 8 months:rolleyes: :eek:

Oh, goodness, yes! He's right on schedule! ;) I wouldn't leave him unsupervised for even a second with anything he can reach! Ha ha, of course it's easier said than done. If I had been able to keep my eye on Finn for every second, I wouldn't have a chewed up driver's license! Oh, yeah, and he broke my eyeglasses once, too. Thank goodness I had a warranty where I could get them replaced for free within the first year! :)

Vette
04-15-2005, 06:26 PM
:D I remember Muffin tripping over her own feet and bumping into things. there was even a time where i bouched the ball and she jumped so high to catch it in the air,, that she went kuh-splat when she landed. LOL