PDA

View Full Version : Talk of Moving

mina'smomma
04-14-2005, 09:42 AM
I'm not sure how or what brought this up, but Lee and I are thinking of eventually moving and not just out of the area. I've been offered a great job in London England, but I'm hesistant to move to a different country.

One I know nothing about England and two I'm a chicken when it come to being that bold.

Can anyone help me.??????

PJ's Mom
04-14-2005, 09:46 AM
I can't offer you advice, but I can offer you congratulations and say that you are sooo lucky! I'd be scared to move to another country, too, but I think I'd jump at the chance. :)

Good luck with whatever you decide. :)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-14-2005, 10:21 AM
I don't know what sort of job or anything like that, but you're young and if it were me I'd snap up the opportunity so fast their heads would spin! Of course, that depends on Lee's job and his future with the current company also - wouldn't want to jeopardize that at all. But I say go for it. Doesn't mean you have to stay for the rest of your life. Just take the opportunity to learn about a different culture. Even though the English are probably the most similar to Americans as it gets, they are still different with a different history and culture.

There's a saying - not sure exactly how it goes - but it's something like "No old person ever said if they had to do it all over again they would stay home and watch TV more." This is a fantastic opportunity - Go for it! :)

Killearn Kitties
04-14-2005, 10:35 AM
Same as Debbie, I would take it so fast their heads would spin. I think that kind of experience can never be wasted and at least it's a country with the same language (well, almost!) If you don't like it, you can go back home. Obviously it gets more difficult when you have someone else to consider too.

So what's the job, c'mon tell us all about it. How long have you got to decide? Do you have any specific questions I could help you with?

mina'smomma
04-14-2005, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Killearn Kitties
Same as Debbie, I would take it so fast their heads would spin. I think that kind of experience can never be wasted and at least it's a country with the same language (well, almost!) If you don't like it, you can go back home. Obviously it gets more difficult when you have someone else to consider too.

So what's the job, c'mon tell us all about it. How long have you got to decide? Do you have any specific questions I could help you with?

I would be a secretarial manager on the West End of London.

Have you been to London? Where would you recommend to live?

Killearn Kitties
04-14-2005, 11:32 AM
Most people's accommodation in London is determined by their budget. Well to some extent that is always the case, of course, but London is very pricey.

Would you be looking to rent something?

I'll come back to you on the areas.

Edwina's Secretary
04-14-2005, 11:56 AM
My head would be spinning too I would go so fast Especially to England. I am so envious! I was an ex-patriate (in Mexico) for two years in my late 20's. One of the best times of my life. The things I learned...about what is important in life...about me...the friends I made...the professional experience...the adventure!

mina'smomma
04-14-2005, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Killearn Kitties
Most people's accommodation in London is determined by their budget. Well to some extent that is always the case, of course, but London is very pricey.

Would you be looking to rent something?

I'll come back to you on the areas.

Yeah until we were sure we would want to live there. I also have a choice to work on one of the airforce bases there as a civilian too.

caseysmom
04-14-2005, 12:07 PM
Well I guess the most important question is...can you take mina with you? Would it be hard to bring her back?

ramanth
04-14-2005, 12:09 PM
Wow Renae!! I have no advice, nor have I ever been to London, but I would take the job in a nano second if I was offered! :D

mina'smomma
04-14-2005, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by caseysmom
Well I guess the most important question is...can you take mina with you? Would it be hard to bring her back?

We've been told that Mina and Kasie can come with us without there being problems coming back since they are strictly indoor cats.

caseysmom
04-14-2005, 12:18 PM
That part would scare me I would get something in writing...I have heard animals have to be quarantened for 6 months.

mina'smomma
04-14-2005, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by caseysmom
That part would scare me I would get something in writing...I have heard animals have to be quarantened for 6 months.

I have a letter from the employer and the I think ambassador. I just have to provide their medical records showing that they're not carrying any type of diseases. I was worried about that too when I got offered the job. I have a year to deciede and make arrangements. Lee and I are getting married here first.

caseysmom
04-14-2005, 12:39 PM
Well I think it sounds exciting! If the kitties can go safely I say go for it.

Ginger's Mom
04-14-2005, 01:11 PM
Oh my, how exciting to be offered a job in another country (especially England :) ). I, too, am extemely envious. If it is any of my business, how did it come about that you were offered several positions in England? (Maybe I will try it :) ) Were you already playing with the idea of moving there? Well, whatever you decide, I wish you the best of luck.

mina'smomma
04-14-2005, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Ginger's Mom
Oh my, how exciting to be offered a job in another country (especially England :) ). I, too, am extemely envious. If it is any of my business, how did it come about that you were offered several positions in England? (Maybe I will try it :) ) Were you already playing with the idea of moving there? Well, whatever you decide, I wish you the best of luck.

My ex boyfriend works in London at the office and needs a secretary, and the other one is because I'm going into the Air National Guard after the wedding.

emily_the_spoiled
04-14-2005, 01:31 PM
I can't offer any advice about moving to England, but I can offer advice on moving to another country. I am an ex-pat Canadian living in the US. GO FOR IT!!! Yes, there will be days when you want to pack up and move back, but you will never regret it if you do go. This is an opportunity of a lifetime and you should do it.

Okay, you solved the problem of the cats, but what about the problem of the (soon-to-be) husband finding work...

mina'smomma
04-14-2005, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by emily_the_spoiled
I can't offer any advice about moving to England, but I can offer advice on moving to another country. I am an ex-pat Canadian living in the US. GO FOR IT!!! Yes, there will be days when you want to pack up and move back, but you will never regret it if you do go. This is an opportunity of a lifetime and you should do it.

Okay, you solved the problem of the cats, but what about the problem of the (soon-to-be) husband finding work...

We're still working on that one.

Suki Wingy
04-14-2005, 06:03 PM
AH! LUCKY!!! I can offor no abvice, sorry, but congrats!!

I spend most of my non animal time mopping around wishing I lived in a different country!

carole
04-14-2005, 06:11 PM
I say GO FOR IT, what an awesome opportunity, if you don't go , you will probably end up regretting it.

There will obviously be things you dislike about being in a different country, but at least you are going somewhere where they speak English, even the Queen's English.

How long would you be stationed in London?

I Think taking the kitties would not be a problem, remember Jenluckenbach sent Annie from the USA to Britain, but then she is not having to come back home, so you would need to check that out properly.

I say GOOD LUCK on an awesome adventure ahead of you.:)