PDA

View Full Version : New additions to the "family"

emily_the_spoiled
04-14-2005, 08:13 AM
I found out last night that I have been approved by a local rescue group to adopt two more cats. I don't have pictures yet and it maybe awhile before I get any. They are a set off 11 month old brothers born feral. Newton is perfectly healthy but his brother, Ptolemy is blind in one eye and has 70% vision in the other eye. Thanks to CCL and Magoo I felt brave enough to adopt a special needs cat...

Since they were feral it will take awhile to incorporate them into the household, but please wish me luck with them!!!

lbaker
04-14-2005, 08:19 AM
Oh Cheryl, I just can't wait to meet them! I'm sure they will adjust to your new home just beautifully! When do you pick them up again? I forget :o Need some help on the pickup? Call me.
Laurie

emily_the_spoiled
04-14-2005, 08:33 AM
Hi Laurie,

Right now I am making arrangements with their foster mom to get them. I am sure it will be difficult for her to part with them so I am willing to go according to her schedule. But I would like to get them on Sunday (if possible). I will let you know and maybe you could come with me.

lbaker
04-14-2005, 08:46 AM
:D

K & L
04-14-2005, 08:49 AM
Thank you so much for adopting ferals! The ferals we have are some of the most loving ones once they came around! Good luck and can't wait for photos.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-14-2005, 09:37 AM
Yeah! Congratulations! I'm so happy for these two boys and so excited for you! I know you will do a great job with them and soon you will never know they had been feral at one time in their lives. :D

jenluckenbach
04-14-2005, 03:11 PM
Congratulations! I am so glad you decided to adopt them. Mark my words, you will not be sorry (but I bet you will have your moments of doubt, early on).

Were their pictures posted on petfinder? (that way we could get a sneak peak at them)

kimlovescats
04-14-2005, 06:04 PM
Congrats to you, and especially those two special boys! I recently adopted a blind kitty as well, she is such a blessing!!!
The feral thing can be overcome as well ... it just takes time and a lot of patience! We're all here when you need us!;)

Soapets
04-14-2005, 06:20 PM
CONCATULATIONS! I'm looking forward to hearing their stories and seeing pictures of them as well....:)

Laura's Babies
04-14-2005, 06:29 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!!! Two of them and brothers to boot, I am so jealous! And as you have seen with Magoo, sightless kitties do NOT see being blind as a handicap! You are going to be thrilled that you have them and they you have a very special one... (I will not call him "special needs" because he is just a cat in a dark world)

Magoo was here to teach us ALL lessons and he did his job well! Three cheers for the Gooster!

Yaaaaaa GOOOOOOOO!
YAAAAAAA GOOOOOOOO!
Hip Hip Horrah GOOOOOOOOO!

catcrazylady
04-14-2005, 07:49 PM
YIPPEE!!! Wonderful wonderful news!! My personal opinion is that ferals make the most loving pets once you gain their trust. It takes a lot of time and they are generally only loyal to a few people but those people are so lucky!:D
You know we are all here for you if you need anything and Magoo says to let you know that if you have any special questions he would be happy to share what he can with you. Jan (QSA) is a fountain of info on handicapped as well as feral, Kim just adopted a blind kitty, and I have suffered through a little of both. Blind and feral that is! There are lots of others as well that will be able to offer tons of advice and suggestions too so don't forget that we are all here if you need us.
I'm so excited for you!!!:D You are going to have some trying times ahead but I promise it will be worth every minute of it!:D :D :D

emily_the_spoiled
04-16-2005, 08:45 AM
Well I get to pick them up tomorrow, so maybe I will even have pictures by tomorrow night...

Maya & Inka's mommy
04-16-2005, 10:22 AM
Wow Cheryl, how sweet to adopt 2 more cats!! They don't realise it yet, but they are the luckiest cats in the world right now!!

emily_the_spoiled
04-18-2005, 12:10 PM
Okay, here are the petfinder.org pictures of the newest additions to the "family". Right now they are hiding out in my office, but I did manage to pet bother of them last night (I found their hiding spot) and I saw Ptolemy this morning.

I promise better pictures soon!!

The first one is for Ptolemy who is blind in one eye and has partial sight in the other.

http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=4002417&adTarget=468petsgeneral&SessionID=4263e96f198ad924-app5&display=&preview=1&row=0&tmpl=&stat=

This is his brother Newton...

http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=4002326&adTarget=468petsgeneral&SessionID=4263e9ae1c64b17a-app5&display=&preview=1&row=0&tmpl=&stat=

jenluckenbach
04-18-2005, 01:15 PM
They are both handsome fellows. Will you be keeping their names or changing them?

emily_the_spoiled
04-18-2005, 01:32 PM
I haven't decided about the names yet. It is kind of nice to have "smart" sounding cats :D :D

catmandu
04-18-2005, 01:49 PM
And Scrappy Magoos story,gave me,heart,when The Pricesses eyesight,started to fail.Bless you,for adopting those Two Older Cats,and we cant wait,to see them.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/catphotos1186.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/catphotos1119.jpg

slick
04-18-2005, 02:54 PM
Cheryl, bless you for taking in these two furbabies. I look forward to seeing more pictures of them. They are so adorable.

I remember a sweet kitty in my shelter a couple of years ago. Her name was CeeCee and she had one eye removed, also because of an infection. Apparently two days after the operation, she was jumping on chairs as if nothing was wrong.

rg_girlca
04-18-2005, 09:42 PM
Awwww they are both adorable.

Congratulations on your new additions.

Looking forward to hearing more about them and of course on seeing more pictures.:D

catcrazylady
04-19-2005, 06:21 AM
They are so cute!!!! How are things going?

Hurry up there! We need pictures and lots of stories!;) :D :D

emily_the_spoiled
04-19-2005, 07:43 AM
Sorry no pictures yet. They are still hiding in the closet. I can tell that they have drunk some of the water, eaten food, and used the litter box. So we are moving in the right direction ;)

I find it interesting that Ptolemy (the blind one) is much more adventerous than his brother. When I come in for the morning feeding he is the one that is out and about the room checking things out.

I am trying spend time in the room with them (my computer is there so it is not difficult), but not force them from their hiding spot. Although they are both hiding when I am in the room I can still pet them and they don't run away or scratch me.

Last night two of my other guys were scratching at the door because they know that there is someone else on the other side ;) But no introductions so far.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-19-2005, 09:53 AM
Sounds like things are moving along just fine. :D

It is interesting that the blind baby is the more adventurous. I say just keep doing what you're doing and before the end of the week you'll have Ptolemy in your lap as you use the computer. :D

jenluckenbach
04-19-2005, 03:38 PM
Sounds like everything is going according to schedule. Keep us updated. :D

catnapper
04-19-2005, 03:43 PM
How'd I miss this thread? How wonderful of you to adopt those two sweeties. They'll come around soon. I know you have the patience and love to make it happen!

NoahsMommy
04-19-2005, 06:22 PM
Congrats on the two newbies! Sounds like they are settling in nicely. :)

The petfinder link didn't work for me, so I'll be patient for pictures.

Congrats!

catmandu
04-19-2005, 07:14 PM
They are both Wonderful Cats,and I know,that they are going,to make you so Happy,and make you feel good about yourself,for adopting these Cats,to whom,many would not give a second glance!And Blees You,for giving them,thier Furr Ever Home!

emily_the_spoiled
04-20-2005, 07:59 AM
Well they are starting to come out of the closet (so to speak). Last night I spent a couple of hours in the office doing a computer backup and getting ready to install a new system. Both Newton and Ptolemy decided to come out of their hiding spot and check things out.

This morning Ptolemy actually rubbed against my housecoat :D So we are slowly making progress. I know that it will take Newton a little longer to reach that point, but at least he is coming out of his hiding spot :) :)

lbaker
04-20-2005, 08:20 AM
Oh Cheryl I'm so happy to hear this! It's only been a few days and they seem to be adjusting beautifully.. especially Ptolemy, dear young man :)

jenluckenbach
04-20-2005, 01:35 PM
How exciting! Seems that THEY made theright decision to come live with you ;)

kimlovescats
04-20-2005, 02:16 PM
Sounds like things are going really well so far ... thanks for the update . Now where are the PICS!!!???:D

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-20-2005, 03:13 PM
Yeah! I'm sure they'll both be out and about in no time. :D

slick
04-20-2005, 03:18 PM
Great news Cheryl. So there will be pictures tomorrow???;) :D

Sorry, I'm just a little too impatient today....:o

Laura's Babies
04-20-2005, 04:48 PM
Get some cat toys and sit in the floor and play by yourself with cat toys... THAT gets them every time!! Just ignore them if they peek out and keep playing.

emily_the_spoiled
04-21-2005, 08:21 AM
Latest update ...

Sorry no pictures yet. But last night I was working in the office again and Ptolemy came out and laid down on the floor. We then had a "petting session". For the first time I could spend some time just petting and talking with him. Newton was just watching but at least he came out of his hiding spot. Well this morning when I went in to feed them it was totally different. Newton was out and he wanted just as much attention as Ptolemy :D :D

This was one of those mornings when it would have been great to call in sick and spend it with the cats ;)

Maybe on the weekend I will start the introduction process to the rest of the furry gang...

lbaker
04-21-2005, 08:29 AM
awwwwwww :D :D :cool: :cool: What good boys :) What a wonderful meowwwmie you are (you and the boys all so lucky too!).

catcrazylady
04-21-2005, 08:57 AM
Everything sounds like it is going just perfect! Good luck and keep us updated on how these precious babies are doing. It really didn't take them too long to learn to trust you so that is a very good sign!:D

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-21-2005, 09:56 AM
Yippeee!!! Way to go Newton! :D

jenluckenbach
04-21-2005, 03:14 PM
This is so exciting and makes me smile all over. :D:D