PDA

View Full Version : DOG BOOKS & MOVIES

Iditarodfan
07-06-2001, 11:41 AM
HI DOTD LOVERS :): HOW WOULD YOU LIKE TO SHARE YOUR FAVORITE DOG BOOKS OR MOVIES WITH ME?
HERE'S MY IDEA: TELL US THE NAME & AUTHOR OR PERTINENT INFORMATION ABOUT THE BOOK OR MOVIE AND GIVE US A REASON "WHY" WE SHOULD READ THIS BOOK OR SEE THIS MOVIE.
EXAMPLE: "PACK OF TWO" BY CAROLINE KNAPP
THIS IS A SUPERB STORY ABOUT A WOMAN WHO LOST BOTH HER PARENTS & GAVE UP A A 20 YEAR RELATIONSHIP WITH ALCOHOL. SHE WAS ASKING HERSELF "WHO AM I?", WHEN SHE GOT A DOG.
IN "LUCILLE" CAROLINE FOUND SOLACE, JOY & A BRIDGE TO THE WORLD. AFTER READING THIS BOOK
MY ONLY THOUGHT WAS: "SO WHAT IF SOME PEOPLE LIKE DOGS BETTER THAN PEOPLE." ;) HOPE THIS TOPIC GOES OVERBOARD! BEA IN WASHINGTON

Logan
07-06-2001, 12:47 PM
Bea, that's the one I would suggest, and you did a beautiful job of explaining it!! I mailed my copy to Karen Israel today, as a matter of fact. If anyone wants it after her, maybe you could talk her into mailing on to the next one. I'd love to get it back with a little note inscribed by everyone it visited!

We just might have to start our own Pet Talk Book Club. Just like Oprah!!!!

Iditarodfan
07-06-2001, 01:08 PM
YOU BET LOGAN! PLEASE, KAREN ISRAEL, FOLLOW LOGAN'S REQUEST & LET'S KEEP "PACK OF TWO" BY CAROLINE KNAPP ON THE MOVE. LOGAN, ONLY THING IS I WILL BE SO JEALOUS OF YOUR INSCRIPTED COPY! :p (just kidding) THANKS FOR SHARING & YES, WE COULD GIVE OPRAH A RUN FOR HER MONEY. :D

jackiesdaisy1935
07-06-2001, 02:22 PM
Bea, that's a great idea, I'm sure there are a lot of books I would like to read that I haven't even heard about, and Logan that's also a good idea about the book or movie of the month, etc. One that I love and I'm still reading it (I'm a very slow reader) is
"Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul" another that I'm waiting to receive by mail is the book reccommended by Bridget. :)
Jackie

Iditarodfan
07-06-2001, 02:33 PM
BRIDGET, HOPE TO HEAR FROM YOU! WHAT IS THE BOOK JACKIESDAISY IS REFERRING TO? HEY, I REALLY LIKE THE IDEA OF MAILING THE BOOKS TO EACH OTHER! :) WOULD ANYONE LIKE TO READ "DOG TALES - CLASSIC STORIES ABOUT SMART DOGS" BY RON BECK. EMAIL ME YOUR ADDRESS & I WILL BE GLAD TO MAIL IT TO YOU. :D
LATER, BEA

AdoreMyDogs
07-07-2001, 08:40 AM
Hi Bea!

I think it is a fantastic idea to share books among Pet Talkers! I would be thrilled to have it mailed to me and then mail it off to another Pet Talker :D Gosh I love you folks! I am real glad I bumped into this site because it's simply loaded with wonderful, friendly people :)

Maybe we could include a picture of our pet in the cover and write on the back of the picture stating something like "Graham's mom was here" :)

Sudilar
07-07-2001, 11:26 AM
What a great idea!!!!!

Sue

Iditarodfan
07-07-2001, 11:42 AM
ADOREMYDOGS (GRAHAM'S MOM): TALK ABOUT SMART DOGS. WOOF,WOOF, YOU PEOPLE ARE TOO SMART, TOO. LESLIE, "Dog Tales" is in the mail today, with a picture of Molly G. McGruder.
(Love that idea, plus Logan's, so let's add our DOTD names to each picture.) OKAY? :D

Anyone interested in reading a picture book?
I have "A Dog's LIFE", a book of classic photographs by the editors of Life Magazine. Remember just email me & make a request(name of book & your address, please.) :)

Iditarodfan
07-07-2001, 11:46 AM
LOGAN mailed "A Pack of Two" by Caroline Knapp to KAREN ISRAEL on July 6th.

IDITARODFAN (Bea) mailed "Dog Tales",Classic Stories About Smart Dogs to ADOREMYDOGS(Leslie) on July 7th

Daisy's Mom
07-07-2001, 06:55 PM
Hi! Iditarodfan, the book I recommended is "The Compassion of Animals" by Kristen Von Kreisler. I wrote all about it here: http://petoftheday.com/cgibin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=21&t=000150

That book swapping is a great idea! I'll have to wiggle my way into the line up :)

Rottie
07-08-2001, 09:34 AM
For Rott lovers, or anyone interested in them I would recommend the book Rottweilers for Dummies. Great book!

Iditarodfan
07-08-2001, 12:29 PM
ROTTIE, YOU GOT TO BE KIDDING, "ROTTIES FOR DUMMIES" SOUNDS HELPFUL. :D NOW HERE'S A ? FOR ALL OF YOU. HOW DO YOU GET THOSE TERRIFIC DOG PICTURES ON YOUR POSTS???
:confused: MOLLY G. IS SO JEALOUS OF CARL, DAISY, & ALL THE OTHER DOGS WHOSE PICTURES ARE INCLUDED IN THE POSTS. PLEASE, KAREN OR SOMEONE HELP US DUMMIES! :O THANKS, THAT WOULD BE REALLY COOL. :cool:

jackiesdaisy1935
07-10-2001, 09:08 PM
Bridget, I just wanted you to know that I
got my "The compassion of Animals" in the mail and just started reading it and I can't put it down. It's great, in fact I'm going right now to do some more reading. Thanks for letting us know about this wonderful book.
Jackie

Daisy's Mom
07-10-2001, 10:35 PM
Oh no problem! I'm glad you like it!

Iditarodfan
07-12-2001, 12:01 PM
Okay dogs & DOTD lovers :D On June 23rd 52 mushers signed up to run the Iditarod dog sled race starting March 2nd, 2002. You can tell I'm already excited! :D If you want to learn more about the race I suggest you read:

1. Father of the Iditarod by Lew Freedman

2. Iditarod Classics by Lew Freedman (some of the best mushers & their teams tell their stories)

3. Jon Van Zyle's Iditarod Memories (25 years of poster art from the last great race..THE BEAUTY OF ALASKA & DOGS!

4. FOR KIDS & ADULTS WHO LIKE KIDS BOOKS. :D
Dogteam by Gary Paulsen
Stone Fox by Scott Gardner
Foxy's Tale ( a true story about a champion sled dog)
Balto (A story of Balto's leadership during the 1925 life-saving serum run.

If you want to learn more in preparation for the Iditarod race go to: www.iditarod.com (http://www.iditarod.com)

I HAVE SOME OF THESE BOOKS IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO READ ONE EMAIL ME & IT'S YOURS FOR AS LONG AS IT TAKES IT YOU TO READ IT. :) :)

Iditarodfan
07-13-2001, 09:49 AM
Bear with me DOTD fans. :( Karen, the moderator, has given me advise on how to insert a picture of Molly. Trouble is it's a big picture & I'm hoping it will right itself. So here goes nothing. Thanks! :)

(img)http://petoftheday.com/talk/Forum5/HTML/000578.html(img)

Iditarodfan
07-13-2001, 09:52 AM
OBVIOUSLY, IT DIDN'T WORK! :( Sorry :o

jackiesdaisy1935
07-13-2001, 01:44 PM
Where are you taking your photo from on the internet?

[ July 13, 2001: Message edited by: jackiesdaisy1935 ]

Iditarodfan
07-14-2001, 01:07 AM
HI DOTS FRIENDS: I STARTED THIS TOPIC SO I GUESS I SHOULD TELL YOU I'LL BE OUT OF THE LOOP FOR AWHILE. YESTERDAY,(FRI.13TH) MY 92 YR. OLD MOM FELL OFF OUR DECK AND BROKE HER LEFT LEG. SO IT LOOKS LIKE SURGERY SAT.AM & A STINT IN REHAB ONCE AGAIN, THEN HERE WITH US, HOPEFULLY. BEFORE I LEFT HER LATE FRI. NIGHT HER MAIN CONCERN WAS THAT WE HAD SHUT THE GATE SO THAT MOLLY G. WOULD BE SAFE. "BLESSED BE ALL CREATURES GREAT (MOM) & SMALL (MOLLY) THE CREATOR OF ALL LIFE MADE THEM ALL" PEACE, BEA

Balto
07-14-2001, 03:31 AM
Hi There,
This is for Iditarodfan, I would love to read any one of your books about the run, but living in England I suppose it's abit more difficult.
I am fascinated about the race, it's Huskies and it's mushers.
Having a name like Balto and a Siberian Husky and reading all I can about the Iditorod Run I've found it all realy interesting.
Have you ever been to the run!!! I would be so jealous if you had, please tell me more.
Jackie & Jesse

http://www.angelfire.com/movies/huskies/jess.gif

[ July 14, 2001: Message edited by: Balto ]

jackiesdaisy1935
07-14-2001, 08:49 AM
Bea, so sorry to hear your Mom fell and broke her leg, that has to be very difficult for her at her age. Heres all the good wishes for a speedy recovery from me, Daisy and Perry. I will be looking forward to hearing how she is doing and hearing from you soon. :(

Sudilar
07-14-2001, 10:07 AM
Tell Mom to get well!!! So sorry for her. http://www.plauder-smilies.de/person/nurse.gif

Daisy's Mom
07-14-2001, 01:44 PM
I hope your Mom gets well soon! Kisses from me and Daisy. We'll miss ya!

AdoreMyDogs
07-14-2001, 11:36 PM
Oh I am so sorry about your mom, Bea. I hope she is OK and up and walking soon. I hope she improves very quickly. How sad. Tell her me and Graham and Cassie and Ritz wish her a fast recovery.

Iditarodfan
07-15-2001, 09:15 AM
DOTD FANS & FRIENDS: :) MAYBE YOU'LL THINK I'M CRAZY, BUT I FIND IT VERY REWARDING & RELAXING TO EMAIL FRIENDS AND FAMILY, ESPECIALLY THOSE WHO LOVE DOGS. :D THANKS ALL FOR THE CARDS & KIND THOUGHTS FOR MY MOM. SHE IS ONCE AGAIN ON THE ROAD TO RECOVERY AFTER ELECTING TO UNDERGO A RISKY 4 HOUR SURGERY. IT IS HARD BEING ELDERLY AND FINDING YOURSELF LOSING YOUR PHYSICAL AND MENTAL CAPACITIES DAY BY DAY. FOR ME IT'S LIKE THE OPPOSITE OF WATCHING MY CHILDREN LEARN TO CRAWL, TALK, WALK, READ, WORK & BUILD ON THEIR TALENTS. INSTEAD I WATCH MY MOM LOSE HER ABILITIES TO SEW, GARDEN, CONCENTRATE, WALK THE DOG FOR AN HOUR, FIND THE WORDS TO SPEAK HER MIND & HER HEART, & FINALLY TO GET OUT OF BED. MODERN MEDICINE IS BOTH WONDERFUL AND AWFUL, IT SAVES THE PREEMIE WHO MAY BE BRAIN DAMMAGED AND IT KEEPS YOU ALIVE WELL INTO YOUR NINETIES. IT, ALSO, IS THE REASON MOLLY G., WHO LOST THE VISION IN ONE EYE DUE TO GLAUCOMA, CAN SEE TO CHASE "RUNT" THE SQUIRREL AND HAS A NEW NICKNAME, "HAWKEYE". :D HAPPY TRAILS ALL,BEA BEA

Daisy's Mom
07-15-2001, 11:41 AM
Bea, I'm sorry about everything. Hey, life's not easy, but you gotta keep your chin up, and with the help of Molly G., I'm sure you have no trouble with that :)

jackiesdaisy1935
07-15-2001, 11:46 AM
Bea, hope your Mom is doing well. I remember the saying " The children become the parents and the parents become the children" later in life. I'm afraid that is hitting close to home here. It is so hard for the person that age to get back, and it is very hard on the caretaker too. Our good wishes to your Mom and please take care of yourself.
Jackie

[ July 15, 2001: Message edited by: jackiesdaisy1935 ]

Logan
07-15-2001, 05:48 PM
Bea, you certainly have one lucky mother! She has you to help her through the aging process, and all the things that come along with that. I know she is grateful, and how lucky you are to still have your mom with you, at 92 years of age!

Prayers and our best wishes to the both of you. I hope she will recover quickly.

Logan

K9karen
07-15-2001, 10:13 PM
Dear Bea.......
Sorry this so late..am going through something similar with my dad, so I don't have as much time as I would love on my home computer. Hope your beloved mom is doing better! I found my friends on PetTalk to be caring, understanding, compassionate and real, true, loving friends. Don't know what I'd do without them!
I've started reading pack of 2 and will try to finish it soon so I can pass it on. I loved it from page 1, my feeling about Cody exactly. He saves me from despair and sadness and I can't thank him enough.
Balto, the photos are awesome!! I watched them about 10 times. How neat! :cool:

Iditarodfan
07-17-2001, 09:49 PM
THANKS DOTD FRIENDS & POOCHES! :) MOM IS MOVING INTO A REHAB FOR 2 MONTHS OF NON-WEIGHT BEARING & THEN INTO OUR HOME. THE GOAL IS TO HAVE HER BACK IN HER OWN HOME BY JAN. 2002! :D THIS IS ONE TOUGH LADY, I THINK SHE CAN DO IT!! KAREN, EMAIL ME IF YOU LIKE: FATHER'S ARE MORE DIFFICULT, I THINK.

HERE'S A MUST READ: A FRIEND LIKE NO OTHER -
LIFE LESSONS FROM THE DOGS WE LOVE. I WILL PUT IT IN THE MAIL TO THE FIRST PERSON THAT REQUESTS IT! :D

WELCOME BEAUTIFUL "BALTO" AND GUARDIANS FROM ENGLAND. NO, I HAVEN'T BEEN TO ALASKA. THAT IS MY BIGGEST DREAM!!! THIS XMAS MY HUBBY & I PLAN TO RIDE ON A DOG SLED IN BEAUTIFUL BC, CANADA. CARE TO JOIN US ANYONE? ;)

LOGAN, JACKIE, RACHEL, SUDILAR, EVERYONE, THANKS, I FEEL SOOOO SUPPORTED! MOLLY G. SENDs DOGGIE KISSES TO ALL YOUR BEST FRIENDS.
[img]molly camping.dpg(285250 bytes)[/jpg]

Logan
07-17-2001, 09:56 PM
I would love to read "A Friend Like No Other". I need a good read about now. If I'm the first to ask, just email me and I'll send you my address.

Good luck with your Mom, Bea. I know it is tough for you all, but she sounds like one strong lady. With support like you are giving, how could she go wrong?

Logan

Iditarodfan
07-17-2001, 09:56 PM
ONE MORE TRY! :confused: :o
http://petoftheday.com/talk/Forum5/HTML/000578.html

Logan
07-19-2001, 10:42 AM
Bea is sending me "A Friend like No Other", and I'm looking forward to receiving it. We had a good laugh yesterday through a few emails with each other. I told her about our trip to Boston, and how excited we are about it. She congratulated me on being such a good DAD!!! I tried to correct her without embarassing her, as with a name like mine, it is an easy mistake to make! :o

But just so you'll know, if you didn't already, I am a MOM!!! :p

Can't wait for the book to arrive, Bea. Thanks again!

Logan

K9karen
07-19-2001, 09:47 PM
Dearest Logan..You are the best PARENT!!!!!
Hope to see you in Oct! Best Friends next year? Anyone else?? I can make the arrangments! Wouldn't we be a fabulous team???

RachelJ
07-21-2001, 03:40 PM
Oh, Bea, I am so sorry I hadn't read this post before. I have just been skipping around and I miss so many lately as I can't seem to keep up with them all. I hope by now your Mom is recovering from her surgery and not had any complications. Much love to her as well as the you and hubby who, knowing what I do about him has been a ROCK through all this.

Logan
07-22-2001, 12:14 PM
Bea,
How's your mom getting along? Hope she is continuing to improve.
Logan

Logan
07-24-2001, 05:19 PM
Bea,
The books arrived today. You were too generous to include "Dogteam" for Helen. She really appreciates it. And I will look forward to reading your special copy of "A Friend Like No Other", and will return it back to you for the next reader.
I promise not to read in the bathtub (one of my bad habits) :o .
Logan

Iditarodfan
07-25-2001, 05:18 PM
HI DOTD DOG & BOOK FANS :)IT'S BEEN A ROUGH WEEK WITH MOM, UNLIKE A TWO YEAR OLD, SHE IS AFRAID, PANICKY EVEN,THAT SHE IS GOING TO FALL DOWN. :eek: BUT THANKS TO ANTI ANXIETY DRUGS, PET THERAPY & A VISIT FROM MOLLY G. SHE WILL CALM DOWN IN TIME. :) TWO DAYS AFTER SHE WAS ADMITTED TO THE REHAB. THE PET THERAPISTS WERE IN WITH A GOLDEN RETRIEVER. THEY LET HER CUDDLE IT IN HER BED. THERE IS NOTHING LIKE THE SMELL OF A PUPPY TO MAKE ONE FEEL BETTER! EXCEPT FOR A BIG OLD SLOBBERY KISS. ;) HEY, ANYONE EVER READ A GREAT BOOK ON PET THERAPY. PASS IT ON TO ME IF YOU HAVE. :cool: AS FAR AS THE ON LOAN BOOKS...HERE IS WHAT I KNOW TODAY, JULY 25TH.
A PACK OF TWO..K9KAREN IN PA. (A MUST READ!)
DOG TALES..ADORE MY DOGS/LESLIE IN TROY,MI.
A FRIEND LIKE NO OTHER..LOGAN IN S.C.(RIGHT?)

Daisy's Mom
07-26-2001, 12:30 AM
Bea I am very sorry about your mom. I hope she gets well soon. I am sure you and Molly will cheer her up in no time!

Iditarodfan
07-26-2001, 09:56 AM
HI FRIENDS :) THANKS FOR ALL YOUR EMPATHY WITH MY "GIVING UP THE GOOD FIGHT" MOM. KAREN,THE MODERATOR, SENT ME A POEM THAT I MUST POST FOR ALL TO READ! SOMETIMES WHEN LIFE IS SAD & THE TEARS JUST WON'T COME...ONE NEEDS TO READ A REALLY SAD, BUT BEAUTIFUL BOOK. HERE'S MINE!
"STONE FOX" BY SCOTT GARDNER. IT'S A YOUNG PERSON'S BOOK, BUT KIDS BOOKS OFTERN TEACH US INVALUABLE LESSONS THAT NEED TO BE LEARNED AGAIN & AGAIN. HAPPY TRAILS ALL, BEA

Iditarodfan
07-26-2001, 10:00 AM
I'M GOING TO POST KAREN'S POEM ON A NEW TOPIC. I GUESS I'LL CALL IT "AGING". BE SURE TO LOOK FOR IT! BEA

Iditarodfan
07-26-2001, 10:20 AM
I'M GOING TO POST KAREN'S BEAUTIFUL POEM UNDER A NEW TOPIC CALLED "AGING" PLEASE READ IT. THANKS, BEA & MOLLY, WHO HAS JUST ABOUT GIVIN UP CATCHING "RUNT" THE GRAY SQUIRREL. THERE MAYBE PEACE IN THE MOURIN BACKYARD, YET! :) :) :)

AdoreMyDogs
07-26-2001, 09:19 PM
I just wanted to let everyone know that I sent out "Dog Tales" to Angel earlier this week. She should be receiving it anytime. This is so much fun :) Bea I can't thank you enough for this great idea :) When I got the book in the mail it was truly a piece of a faraway friend...it felt like I was holding a part of Pet Talk. I was honored to have it sent here, and I was honored to send it to the next Pet Talker. I just wanted to tell you that, Bea. I appreciate it.

If I could be put on the list again for a really good book I would love to get another sent to me...or maybe I should wait my turn and let everyone get a book first :) :D

[ July 26, 2001: Message edited by: AdoreMyDogs ]

zippy-kat
07-26-2001, 10:34 PM
I have a must read(!) for you guys but unfortunately I don't have the book. :( Soooo, next time you are at the library you might look for this one:

Animals as Teachers & Healers
by Susan Chernak McElroy

IMHO, it's a wonderful(!) book. If any of you read it, let me know what you think!

Iditarodfan
08-23-2001, 10:11 AM
HI DOTD FANS & BOOK LOVERS. :) LOGAN IS DONE READING "A FRIEND LIKE NO OTHER" & WILLING TO MAIL TO WHOEVER. IN MY HUMBLE ESTIMATION IT IS THE BEST BOOK OF DOG QUOTES ON THE MARKET! ANYONE INTERESTED? :confused:

LESLIE, I BELIEVE HAS "DOG TALES"? K9 WAS READING "PACK OF TWO" A MUST READ! JACKIE HAD A CHICKEN SOUP FOR DOG LOVERS :D SOMEONE RECCOMENDED "THE COMPASSION OF ANIMALS" & I'M SURE ROTTIE HAS A TERRIFIC BOOK ON "CARL LIKE DOGS". ;)

I THINK EVERYONE SHOULD OWN THE "ENCYCLOPEDIA OF THE DOG" BY BRUCE FOGLE, D.V.M. IT'S THE BEST EASY REFERENCE.

AdoreMyDogs
08-23-2001, 10:33 AM
I would LOVE that book to be the next to get the book "A Friend Like No Other"....would it be unfair to have another book sent to me before others got a chance though? Angel has "Dog Tales", I sent it to her a few weeks ago. If it would not be too unfair please let me know, and I'll give you my new address :)

Iditarodfan
08-23-2001, 10:41 AM
ADORE MY DOGS (HI, LESLIE!) I WILL TELL LOGAN TO SEND "A FRIEND LIKE KNOW OTHER TO YOU. IT IS NOT UNFAIR! ;) HOW'S GRAHAM & THE ROCK & ROLL BAND? ANY NEW PICTURES? WOULD LOVE TO SEE THEM. :)

Logan
08-23-2001, 10:50 AM
Hi Leslie and Bea! Leslie, I don't think it would be unfair at all! So email me with your address and I'll get it out to you tomorrow. I told Bea that I will have to buy my own copy now since I enjoyed every single quote! I think it would be a very handy tool for those of us who like to play the "puzzle" in Dog General too!

I think Karen (K9 Karen) was going to send "Pack of Two" to RachelJ next. Rachel, did you get it yet? Hope I'm not putting Karen on the spot! Karen enjoyed it a lot and I think she feels that she could have written it herself, inserting Cody for Lucille!

Thanks for sharing, Bea.

Logan

Iditarodfan
08-23-2001, 10:55 AM
HI, AGAIN :) HERE'S AN UPDATE ON MY MOM. SHE IS COMING TO LIVE WITH HUBBY,PAT, ME AND MOLLY G. ON SATURDAY. MOLLY G. IS SOOOO ANXIOUS TO SHARE G-MA'S LEFTOVER CHICKEN WITH HER ONCE AGAIN. :D I AM BUSY CHANGING THE GUEST BEDROOM INTO A REHAB. ROOM. EXCHANGED THE DOUBLE BED FOR A HOSPITAL BED WITH COMMODE BESIDE IT. GOOD THING I AM USED TO DAILY POOPER SCOOPING! :rolleyes: SERIOUSLY MY MOM IS A SAINT, NON-COMPLAINING, THINKS ABOUT OTHERS FIRST, & MAKES THE BEST OF DIFFICULT SITUATIONS. WE ARE BLESSED! AND I AM ESPECIALLY SO WITH ALL YOU SUPPORTIVE & CARING DOTD FRIENDS! :)
THANKS, AND LET'S KEEP THOSE BOOKS MOVING!!!

RachelJ
08-23-2001, 11:20 AM
Yes, I got Pack of Two last Friday and immediately immersed myself in it. OMG this woman (Caroline Knapp) knows everything about me. don't you wish she would appear and join us on Pet Talk? Maybe Moderator Karen has some pull in the literary world and could invite her to participate in a topic at least, but we probably should wait until more people get to read this book. My advice is don't wait for it to come around to you in the book exchange. Get to the library and borrow a copy.

Bea, I am so glad to here Mom is coming home. She will be so happy to be with her loved ones and the marvelous Molly G will be such good company.

jackiesdaisy1935
08-23-2001, 11:30 AM
Bea, so glad your Mom is doing well and so glad she is coming home. Family is everything. I'm sure Molly will be so glad to get all those treats from Grandma. Take care.
Jackie

Iditarodfan
08-24-2001, 08:45 AM
Thanks :) Rachel and Jackie. We are having a "Welcome Home" barbecue with family & friends & of course pets Sunday. Ought to be a madhouse! :eek: And Jackie you are right. Family is everything! We are a pack of 25 (at least). Love, Bea

Logan
08-24-2001, 11:23 AM
Bea, in my book you are a saint! I would like to think I could care for my mother and father the way that you are caring for your mother!

And Rachel, something told me that Caroline Knapp's, "Pack of Two" would hit you like it has! It certainly did me that way, and Karen Israel. And of course, Bea, who was the first to mention it here. When you have finished reading (take your time), would you mind getting in touch with Sandra (Tats) and send it to her? She is expecting to be next on the list! From there, anyone who would care to read it, just speak up and Sandra can forward my copy on. Hope it makes its way back here one day so that I can read all of your comments.

Anybody else have anything good to read that is being passed around? I'm on "E" again!!

Have a lovely weekend, everyone, especially Bea. Hope the picnic goes well and that your Mom feels up to participating!

Logan

delidog
08-24-2001, 06:06 PM
please don't forget "chicken soup for the dog and cat lovers soul"....to accompany the pet lovers soul...they are both great books.....also,i picked up in k-mart of all places...how to be as good as your dog thinks you are!!...what a terrific book....anything written by james herriot...all creatures great and small,all things bright and beautiful,all things wise and wonderful...the lord god made them all...james herriots dog stories...james herriots cat stories...this is also a pbs television show if you catch it where you live........oh and the movie "fluke!!!" is a great dog movie...not that i spend much time on this subject!!! ;) :D the deli dog

RachelJ
08-25-2001, 05:38 AM
Logan, I must have read your mind because I already told Sandra that she was getting it next. I finished it last night so as soon as I can I will get it in the mail.

Delidog, I concur with all your suggestions, although I haven't seen Fluke yet.

delidog
08-25-2001, 05:51 AM
rent fluke a.s.a.p....have tissues handy!!!!!!it is bittersweet!!!! i am going out today to find "pack of two"...sounds like a great book!!! any other suggestions are welcome!!! nothing better for the soul than a good dog book!!! the deli dog ;) ;) :D

jackiesdaisy1935
08-25-2001, 08:48 AM
I have put a bid on "Pack of Two" on E-bay.
Have found some great books there.
Jackie

Logan
08-25-2001, 10:56 AM
My copy of "Pack of Two" is a paperback version that I got at Barnes and Noble. I hope it will be all dog-eared when it finally comes home.

Jackie, you will love the book. I can't think of a person on this site (female, at least) that won't identify with it.

Logan

zippy-kat
08-25-2001, 04:01 PM
I would love to read "Pack of Two" whenever you guys get through with it!

I'm in search of the book that I mentioned before "Animals as Teachers & Healers." Will let you know as soon as I get a copy!

delidog
08-26-2001, 07:20 AM
to all dog lovers....go to your local video store and rent "fluke"!!!!! great movie....the deli dog :D :D

AdoreMyDogs
08-29-2001, 08:00 AM
Attention everyone:

I was unpacking all of our books yesterday and found my copy of "Chicken Soup For The Dog Lover's Soul" and I would be more then happy to put it into the rotation of our DOTD book club if anyone would like to borrow it. If it's already one of the books that's being swapped then disregard this post. If it's not already one of the books that is being swapped, then first to send me email to the email address in my profile will be the next to have the book sent to them.

zippy-kat
09-10-2001, 01:01 AM
Hey Guys!

I didn't find the one I was looking for but, I found another great book by the same author! It is called Animals As Guides for the Soul.

It's a very good read! If any of you are interested, lemme know! (Also if you read it, I'd love to have you autograph the book!)

Iditarodfan
09-12-2001, 11:34 PM
Hi book and dog lovers. Sure wish I had the time to read all the wonderful books you are suggesting. :( Taking care of Mom (in a wheelchair & bedside comode is turning into an 18 hour day. But in the light of the barbaric terrorist attack on innocent people I am thankful for every kindness and smile I encounter throughout the day. :) Missing my time on DOTD and oohing and ahing over every new dog of the day. I do have a great book to send to whoever requests it. "The Company of Dogs" is a compilation of 21 stories by contemporary shortstory masters. If it does get mailed around please feel free to autograph your favorite story. It would be interesting to see who likes what!
Let me know if you're interested. Bea in WA.

Iditarodfan
10-14-2001, 10:25 AM
HI: MISSED YOU ALL! :D I JUST HAD A B-DAY AND GOT 2 NEW DOG BOOKS. HONEST DOGS BY A REPORTER WHO CAME IN LAST IN THE IDITAROD AND DECIDED TO RUN THE YUKON QUEST WHICH IS MUCH TOUGHER SINCE IT IS NOT GROOMED. HOPE TO GET IT READ BEFORE THE 2002 IDITAROD IN MARCH. THE OTHER BOOK IS THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO DOGS BY ASPCA. IT'S TERRIFIC! AND NOW A LITTLE PLUG FOR JACKIE'S DAISY DRESSED AS A PUMPKIN ON "HOTDIGGETYDOG.COM AND FOR MY VERY OWN MOLLY G. WHO IS RUNNING BEHIND SOME VERY STIFF COMPETITION IN THE OCTOBER HOT DIGGETY DOG CONTEST. THANKS TO ALL WHO VOTED FOR HER! :) ANYONE KNOW ANY "SPOOKY" HALLOWEEN DOG BOOKS OR SHORT STORIES? HERE'S YOUR CHANCE TO SHARE WITH THE REST OF THE PACK! :eek: :eek:

RachelJ
10-14-2001, 03:10 PM
Bea, I would sure like to read "The Company of Dogs". That is kind of my motto: I prefer to live my life in the company of dogs. And a Happy Belated Birthday to Ms Bea. And congratulations for having loved ones who know how to pick a good gift. How's mom doing? Do you think she'll be able to go back to her own home one day?

jackiesdaisy1935
10-14-2001, 04:00 PM
Bea, Happy Belated Birthday, your folks sure know the best kind of birthday gifts to give.
That's so funny, my daughter-in-law loves her Schnauzers as much as I do and everything I bought her for Christmas is either dog related or Schnauzer related.
I'm also wondering how your Mom is doing?
Hope all is well.
Jackie
p.s. I did vote for Sweet Molly

shais_mom
10-14-2001, 06:54 PM
Glad you are back!!
Just got this update on another book last night it is Watchers by Dean Koontz, I guess a golden plays a key part in it!
I also like his books Fear Nothing and Seize the night he has a loveable black lab named Orsen in those READ FEAR NOTHING FIRST!!!

Pam
10-14-2001, 07:28 PM
Staci, Oh My Gosh! I read Watchers about 6-7 years ago and also several other Dean Koontz books as well. Watchers will have you on the edge of your seat! :eek: Another really scary one of his is Whispers!
:eek:

[ October 14, 2001: Message edited by: Pam ]

Iditarodfan
10-15-2001, 09:27 PM
HEY "SPOOKY" PEOPLE.....THANKS FOR THE DEAN KOONTZ HALLOWEEN SUGGESTIONS. :D I HAVE NEVER READ HIS BOOKS, BUT SOUNDS LIKE HE TELLS A GREAT SCARY STORY. SURPRISED NOONE MENTIONED STEPHEN KING'S "CUJO". :eek
THANKS, TOO, FOR THE CONCERN SHOWN MY MOM. HER ORTHOPEDIC SURGEON SAID SHE COULD BEGIN TO PUT 25 LBS. ON THE BROKEN LEG. SHE STILL HAS TO WEAR THE ANKLE TO THIGH BRACE 24 HOURS AND THE TED HOSE TO KEEP THE SWELLING DOWN. ALMOST DAILY SHE ENTERTAINS US WITH REALMS OF POETRY SHE MEMORIZED IN SCHOOL FROM 1918 TO 1926. AND MS. MOLLY G. GETS THE LEANEST PORTIONS OF MOM'S MEAT AFTER DINNER- EVERY SINGLE EVENING. WHAT A SPOILED GRANDDOG! ;)

Logan
10-16-2001, 08:27 PM
Leslie, I just wanted to make sure that Bea's book finally arrived (no fault of the US postal service). :(

Sorry I was so slow! Isn't it just beautiful?

tatsxxx11
10-17-2001, 06:18 AM
The first person to post that they would like to be the next recipient of 'Pack of Two' is the lucky winner :) Just email me your address and I'll send it along. I had asked around after I finished it but didn't get any takers. Happy to oblige!

delidog
10-17-2001, 06:28 AM
i sent a response...the deli dog

tatsxxx11
10-17-2001, 08:24 AM
Got it Nicole! It's on it's way! Sandra

AdoreMyDogs
10-17-2001, 11:09 AM
Hi Logan! Yes I did get the book and it does look so beautiful. I have not yet read it but plan on reading it this weekend if not sooner. I am absolutely 100% OK that you didn't ship it right away, I was actually very relieved because I was worrying about the post office losing and/or accidentally destroying the book :eek: I have gotten late bills that were just shy of being completely shreaded, with a letter from the post office saying, "oops...we shreaded your letter by accident...sorry" (not in those exact words :) ) so the fact that you were late shipping it to me was a huge relief. When I begin the book I will send out a notice, and at that point, I will finish it up and send it to the next wonderful pet talker who emails me.

I will let you all know when I am done or close to done with the book so you can email me your address.

Thanks again, Logan...and Bea :) I can't wait to read the book. Oh and Bea, I sure do hope your mom is getting better and you are getting enough rest. Caretaking sure is a big job. You are a true saint to take care of your mother. Bless you.

[ October 17, 2001: Message edited by: AdoreMyDogs ]

karen israel
10-18-2001, 08:23 AM
Ok, here I am, late again :o Another apology due... Anyway, "Pack of 2" is a MUST read!! Logan is right, I could have written that book. Somehow my heart and mind were secretly invaded. I cried at the end, it was so ME and my relationship with Cody. A lot of the same experiences, it was eerie.

I think I have 2 copies of "In the Company of Dogs". If anyone would like one to read/keep/pass on, please e-mail me and I'll send it on! I thought it was great, but not as easy a read as "Pack of 2"

Has anyone ever seen a movie called "Bingo"? Caught it on cable once by accident and it was hilarious! "Bingo" was amazing. It was just so goofy that it was great!

Iditarodfan
10-18-2001, 03:15 PM
Hello out there in cyberspace! :) Monday i am mailing Rachel, "The Company of Dogs." It is a compilation of 21 short dog stories by contemporary masters. Rachel had a SUPER idea that after reading we autograph our favorite story. ANYONE ELSE INTERESTED! :) If so don't forget to add a picture of your beloved companion dog or cat for all of us to see. Thanks, Bea & Molly G. and Runt the gray squirrel.

RachelJ
10-18-2001, 04:02 PM
Of course it was a SUPER idea, Bea, it was YOURS. heehee See your post up where you first mentioned the book. :D :D

ownerof3dogs
10-29-2001, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by shais_mom:
<STRONG>Glad you are back!!
Just got this update on another book last night it is Watchers by Dean Koontz, I guess a golden plays a key part in it!
I also like his books Fear Nothing and Seize the night he has a loveable black lab named Orsen in those READ FEAR NOTHING FIRST!!!</STRONG>

You guys should read that book. It is so good. I loved it so much I read it twice... and I don't even like to read!