PDA

View Full Version : Are you offended by facial piercings?

sirrahved
04-13-2005, 04:53 PM
I'm thinking about getting my nose pierced, but want to think about it heavily before doing it, mostly because of hubby's chosen profession. Give me your opinions, please! (be brutally honest:))

LeahMM
04-13-2005, 04:58 PM
Offended, no. But I really think it's unattractive and kind of gross in a way.

popcornbird
04-13-2005, 05:02 PM
Offended wouldn't be the right word, but I can hardly stand most facial/other piercings. :o I just don't like them. I voted for the last option.

I love the normal ear piercings...even if there are two holes in each ear, and I'm okay with nose piercings (when there's just a little stud on the side), but other than that, I don't like piercings at all. I wouldn't get a nose piercing myself, but I do think a tiny stud looks nice on some people. Most facial piercings are just very unattractive to me.

slick
04-13-2005, 05:03 PM
"Body Art" as I like to call it doesn't bother me in the least. If it's what you want to do to express yourself, I say go for it and don't listen to anyone else.

I, on the other hand, had to work up the nerve to get my ears pierced at the ripe old age of 40.....:rolleyes: :o

Tollers-n-Dobes
04-13-2005, 05:06 PM
It doesn't bother me at all. *I* would never do it to myself but I'm definitely not offended in anyway if someone decided to get facial piercings.

carole
04-13-2005, 05:11 PM
Firstly Debbie I have only had my ears pierced and that was when I was 18, I have always thought a very small stud in the nose quite attractive, however as I have lots of sinus problems, I figure it would not be terribly suitable, so think on that, also I knew this girl who was always sticking her finger up her nose, and adjusting it, I have no idea why, but that really turned me off nose piercings.

For some reason older women are taking to piercing their belly buttons, which I think is rather attractive myself, but not on older women with bigger bellies and stretch marks, JMHO, here.

I don't mind piercings as such ,and am certainly not offended by them, but when they are overdone, too many in the ear lobe, I find it rather less attractive, I donot really like facial piercings around the lips or tongue or eyebrows, belly's,ears and noses are ok, as long as it is not a ring in the nose, reminds me of the bulls on the farm with rings in their noses lol.. these are just my preferences, no offence mean't to anyone.

I would think long and hard about it Debbie, why do you really want to have one? because you like the look of them, just have always fancied one, or to be thought of as more cool or modern? just ask yourself these questions, and then decide, anyway you asked for brutal honesty so here it is. lol.:)

PJ's Mom
04-13-2005, 05:11 PM
I'm not offended by it. However, I wouldn't have it done because I'm 38 and I think I'm too old, but that's just my personal preference.

If you want it done, go for it. :)

IRescue452
04-13-2005, 05:34 PM
Its just too improper for me. I go to a nice college and plan to have a career in sociology and I just don't think I'd want to show up to a meeting or an interview ext. with a facial piercing.

dukedogsmom
04-13-2005, 06:11 PM
I like them. Would love to have my nose and eyebrow done but can't because of my job.
ETA: A lot of people feel that way about tattoos also(see below me) I love my tattoos and don't regret or hate them at all. You just have to be very sure you want it, is all.

kuhio98
04-13-2005, 06:12 PM
I'm not offended but I don't like them and think they are ugly. Everyone I know that has a facial piercing has eventually regretted it.

RedHedd
04-13-2005, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by popcornbird
Offended wouldn't be the right word, but I can hardly stand most facial/other piercings. :o I just don't like them. Most facial piercings are just very unattractive to me. What she said. It's self-mutilation IMHO

Uabassoon
04-13-2005, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by kuhio98
Everyone I know that has a facial piercing has eventually regretted it.

I used to have facial peircings, but I never regretted them. I took them out because I tired of them, but not regret. That's what's nice about a peircing, when you don't want it anymore you just take it out. I have had lots of friends who have or had a facial peircing, none of them have ever mentioned "regretting" it.

sirrahved
04-13-2005, 06:30 PM
That is what I like about facial piercings... if I no longer want it, it will close up, leave little/no scar, and it's done with! I love the way nasal screws look. A tiny stud in the nose is so cute! I also like the idea that it is historical. A stud in the left nostril is supposed to help a woman with pain (in Indian culture.)

jenluckenbach
04-13-2005, 06:34 PM
oFFENDED WOULD NOT BE THE WORD i WOULD USE. bUT i AM PERPLEXED AT HOW PEOPLE CAN ACTUALLY BELIEVE THEY LOOK GOOD??? (darn caps lock....sorry)

There is absolutely nothing attractive about having metal stuck in your face.

wolflady
04-13-2005, 06:35 PM
Even I have considered a small nose stud, but I'm still unsure about getting it done because of my job.
As far as facial piercings in general, I'm not offended by them but I do not find them attractive at all. Lots of piercings in the face/ears kinda looks trashy to me and you definitely don't see it in the professional (I work in the high tech industry) world.

To each his own, I say! LOL

:p

anna_66
04-13-2005, 06:37 PM
I can't say that I care for all the facial piercings, but there are quite a few that I do like and the nose piercing is one of them.
I used to have mine done (can't have it because of my job) and I got all kinds of looks and comments. My favorite being...how do you blow/pick your nose:rolleyes: :o

I love piercings and tattoos and don't find them to be self-mutilation at all (I myself have 9 tattoos-one covering the whole right side of my back down to my mid thigh). But to each his/her own.

CagneyDog
04-13-2005, 06:39 PM
Offended? No.

It's not my thing but I respect other people who have peircings.

Its their life! No one should judge them.

sammy101
04-13-2005, 09:17 PM
i LOVE facial peircings.Not alot though,like i dont like people who have like 10 on there face:rolleyes:
I want to get my nose peirced,i would be aloud too but the schools here dont alow facial peircings:rolleyes: :(

Karen
04-13-2005, 09:25 PM
Not offended, but wouldn't ever want one. I'm a sniffly person much of the year, and just couldn't think of that. I think as long as you keep a small stud, no hoops or anything, in it for situations dealing with your husband's job, etc, it should be fine. Be prepared to answer questions from curious people, but hey, maybe it'd be an ice-breaker sometimes?

A caveat - not everyone can let a facial piercing close up and have no scar. I know more than one person who has a scar left from one - I guess it depends on your skin. My skin is ridiculously sensitive and scars show. For example, I have scars on my right hand from second grade still - the kid in front of me dug her nails into the back of my hand, and I have that lasting reminder.

christa
04-13-2005, 09:55 PM
I've always LOVED nose piercings! And I'm a pretty conservative gal! I think the little sparkle jewel type of stud in the nose is so pretty! I'd get one if I liked my nose better, LOL . . . I've never liked my nose though . . . don't wanna draw more attention to it!

Can't wait to see what you decide!!!

GraciesMommy
04-13-2005, 09:58 PM
Not offended but heartily dislike. My daughter in law to be has her tongue pierced and so does my step son and step daughter in law. I could tolerate them if they wouldn't constantly be clicking them or making ridiculous tongue movements (all 3 of them!)
The tiny diamond stud is ok in the nose..all the others just gross me out.
I have a belly ring and I do like that..and 2 holes in each ear, but that is as far as I go..

tikeyas_mom
04-13-2005, 10:02 PM
doesnt bother me..

I have had alot of peircings... i have my tongue done. i had my nose done for a couple years, but due to allergies i had to take it out.

i want my eye brow done....

Twisterdog
04-13-2005, 10:47 PM
I'm not offended. It's none of my business. I do, however, think most of them look gross and kind of trashy. (Sorry ... but you asked for brutal honesty.)

Shelteez2
04-13-2005, 11:01 PM
I got my nose pierced about a month ago. I like it. I found out that I'm not really a piercing type person and it's probably the last thing I'll ever get pierced, but I don't at all regret it.

I've found that most people don't even notice it unless I point it out to them. Everybody has said that it suits me and it looks good.

Maybe if you're still a little undecided you can get one of those magnet ones to see what it looks like on you before getting it done.

Oh and I didn't have to worry about my job as I actually went with my boss and we got it done together. lol

shais_mom
04-14-2005, 12:12 AM
Offended - NO
weirded out by some - YES

a small tasteful nose stud is fine with me I have never wanted one b/c I blow my nose wayyyyyy to much.
I have considered eyebrow and tongue piercings but do to my profession decided against them.
Actually what really turned me off of tongue piercings was reading in a Nursing Journal the 22 year old girl who had her's done and came into the ER not feeling well and took antibiotics for an infection. Then a week later came in with stroke like symptoms and when they CT'ed her she had a huge abscess in her head and had to have a huge chunk of her brain removed and is pretty much a vegetable now.
noooo thanks!

There is a couple people in my po dunk lil town that have the piercings b/n the eyes and somehow they go around his eyebrows. NOW those freak me out!

moosmom
04-14-2005, 07:32 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek: Debbie, I'm shocked!!!

The don't offend me, per se. It's just kind of difficult to look someone in the eye and talk to them while they've got a pointy thing sticking out of their chin, or some huge half-loop coming out of their eyebrow. It's even harder to understand someone
talking who's also trying to play with their tongue piercing.

ramanth
04-14-2005, 08:21 AM
I'm not offended but I think body art or facial piercings can be overdone and then it gets unattractive.

Unfortunately some people judge by how you look on the outside before getting to know you, so if you are prepared for a certain amount of ridicule or simply don't care what others think, then I say go for it! :)

finn's mom
04-14-2005, 08:50 AM
I think the right piercings on the right person are beautiful! I've had several boy and girl friends get nose piercings or librets and they add to the attractiveness of the face. It's like makeup, in my opinion. There are a lot of people who wear makeup and shouldn't and a lot of people who don't, but, would benefit from a little. It's no different to me, except it's metal, and, not powder or whatever. But, it's adorning the face for unnecessary reasons, no matter what your opinion on either decoration. It's all for aesthetic reasons, and, no matter what you do to or on your own face, someone out there isn't going to like it (or take it so personally or care so much as to actually be offended by it). I say go with your own preference, because if it's not your facial piercing, it'll be the clothes you wear, or the makeup you choose, or your hairstyle or whatever. You know what I mean? You can't please everyone! ;) Post pictures if you do get something done, though, ok? And, personally I would get a facial piercing before I'd start wearing makeup every day, just because it's less time consuming. ;)

**And, I just read some of the posts above mine, and, I agree about the tongue piercings. When people play constantly with them, it gets really old. I have to say, though, I've realized that not everyone does that, thank goodness. The guy I've been seeing for a few months has one, and, I honestly forget he has it at all! Even if we're kissing, he has to really go crazy for me to even feel it! It takes me by surprise, because unless he shows it, you'd never know it was there!**

Logan
04-14-2005, 11:23 AM
I think some of you are confused!!! :o This isn't Debbie's post, it's her daughter in law (love, as Debbie would say), Devon, who is asking!!! :p

My opinion is that I am not offended, but I certainly dislike facial piercings and would never consider it or advise anyone to do it.

Barbara
04-14-2005, 11:28 AM
When I was 17 it was enough shock for your parents if your jeans were faded and - if you were a boy- your hair was long. I can understand that now when all the parents wear faded jeans, the youth has to invent new things to shock them.

So- no I am not offended. But I don't like it. And it's not made for my generation to like it:D So it looks as if this works out ;)

You kids with body lacing and piercing in all kinds of body parts be prepared: the next generation will be able to find something that shocks you:p :p :p

tortuga55
04-14-2005, 11:51 AM
It depends. How many peircings do you have right now? I know a girl, her names Leanne, she is really nice. But she has 21 peircings. I asked Her. At the time I had just gotten my ears peirced. She has 3 lip, 1 nose, 1 eyebrow or was it 2, 10 ear iner and outer, 2 belly button was going to get 2 more, and a nipple ring, . All of them I saw exept nipple ring. She can squirt water out of her lip rings, she showed me! But if you do the math there are some peircings missing! I dont want to know were they are. OK now to my point a few peircings look fine but when you go over board it looks really bad. If you got a nose ring I would suggest a stud, rings/loops/whatever they are called usually look unprofesinal, (reminds you of teens).

caseysmom
04-14-2005, 11:55 AM
I am old fashioned in this area...but I think a belly piercing on a cute flat belly is cute and I don't mind ear piercings...even a little one on the top of the ear...but facial piercings gross me out...especially on the eyebrows...for some reason that is gross to me.

On the other hand I think its the person's own business.

Cataholic
04-14-2005, 02:00 PM
I think most piercings are unsightly/unseemly. I don't know many professionals that have them- not that everyone strives to be a professional, or should. But, I think that since most of us have to work to support our habits, you might consider the impact it has or could have on your career choices.

Pit Chick
04-14-2005, 03:46 PM
I think a nose piercing is cute, but like someone else said, with a small stud only. If you're worried about how it will appear professionally, you can always take it out when you're in a situation where it might seem unprofessional. Too many facial piercings can look a bit gawdy, but if that's someone's preferance, I say go for it. I only have two holes on the bottom of my ears and one on the top of my left ear. I do, however, plan to get my naval done in the near future.

lisalee
04-14-2005, 05:35 PM
I personally, would never have any facial piercings. They look very painful. :( But, heck if that makes you happy, go for it!

cocker_luva
04-14-2005, 11:14 PM
no way, some look ugly and retarded. but most look great and creative.

Kfamr
04-15-2005, 05:12 AM
I'm more offended by the people who judge those who have piercings as if it makes them less of a person.

Maya & Inka's mommy
04-15-2005, 05:26 AM
Not really! I am not offended at all, but I don't like piercings at all. I like a face the way it was created: natural, even no make-up :)

As for myself, the only make-up I will ever use is eye-shadow; just a tiny bit!

dukedogsmom
04-15-2005, 11:36 AM
Aren't they the ones that are supposed to be the least judgemental? Just a thought.

cali
04-15-2005, 11:49 AM
I could care less what other people do to themselves lol I personally would never to them to myself, only my ears are peirced, that was done when I was like 2 lol but I am a wimp and shudder at the tought of multiple pericings(as I am planning for a tatoo lol)

shais_mom
04-15-2005, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Kfamr
I'm more offended by the people who judge those who have piercings as if it makes them less of a person.

dukedogsmom
Aren't they the ones that are supposed to be the least judgemental? Just a thought

While yes in a perfect world people aren't supposed to judge the sad fact of the matter that people do. Even if you pride yourself on not judging people chances are at some point and time you have....... unfortunately we don't live in a perfect world.

caseysmom
04-15-2005, 12:39 PM
I think it depends on the church. I think a lot of church's are getting more liberal on things like that. a church with an older congregation might frown on it, I would look at the pastor's wife and think that was kind of cool but thats just me.

Kfamr
04-15-2005, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by shais_mom
While yes in a perfect world people aren't supposed to judge the sad fact of the matter that people do. Even if you pride yourself on not judging people chances are at some point and time you have....... unfortunately we don't live in a perfect world.

Yes, I am well aware of this.

I know people judge, and I never said anyone didn't, I don't like it though and I don't like the fact that people judge based on clothing, piercings, hair color, ect. Friends of mine are always looked down upon because of the previous and it's just bullcrap.

BTW, just incase anyone was worried, my post was not directed towards any individual who posted before me, it was just my answer to the question.

wolfsoul
04-15-2005, 01:55 PM
People can cut their hair the way they want. They can dye their hair the way they want. Their can pluck their eyebrows in whatever shape. They can wear whatever makeup they want. I see absolutely no difference between these things and piercings. I love piercings. I'm going to get my lip and eyebrow pierced. I don't care if it offends anyone. I feel that if it's my body, and I'm not doing anything harmful to it, then it's nobody's business, and other people shouldn't care, because it isn't them and if they don't like it they don't have to look at it. I think my piercings will be beautiful, and that's all that matters.

Queen of Poop
04-15-2005, 02:08 PM
I have to concur with WolfSoul.

Pretty much every other woman here has her nose pierced. The cute little studs look very nice. I will get mine done as soon as I can find time to go - way too busy lately.

I think it is a personal choice. But as the Pastors wife, while the older crowd may not like it you would certainly relate well with the younger crowd for whom you could be a role model.

Lady's Human
04-15-2005, 02:48 PM
Facial piercing doesn't offend me, I just find it unattractive if overdone. One practical consideration that needs to be made is what you do or are going to do for a living. There are many lines of work that you would be denied a job in because it would be a hazard to you to have the piercings.

aly
04-15-2005, 03:07 PM
It doesn't offend me. I don't care what other people do, its their business. I wouldn't do it myself, but thats just me.

nibblets
04-16-2005, 02:32 PM
I have a nose piercing. I don't wear a ring in it very often but it is still open and occasionally I slip a stud in for kicks.

I used to have eyebrow piercings but they migrated out so I removed them to avoid scarring.

I like them unless they get TOO extreme, but even then its a matter of self expression. I can see the 'art' in it.

dukedogsmom
04-16-2005, 03:45 PM
Contrary to popular belief, I was not trying to start a fight. I've enjoyed the fact that we've had no dramatics lately. I was simply stating my opinion. That's what this place is for. It would be a mighty boring world if we all thought the same.

binka_nugget
04-16-2005, 06:29 PM
I've got a few piercings and don't regret a single one of them. I have two side lip piercings, an eyebrow piercing, four slightly stretched lobe piercings, two stretched lobe piercings (very tiny though. You can barely see through them), a helix (cartilage) and tragus. I've had my septum pierced as well (bull ring ;)). I'm hoping to get my septum repierced, another eyebrow piercing, double nostril piercings, double tragus, conch, industrial helix, tongue venoms (double side tongue), a center lip piercing, two labrets (under lip piercings), double (possibly triple) neck surface piercings and a navel project (three navel piercings on the top and one to three on the bottom).

I've been called things but frankly, I don't really care. If someone's going to judge me, call me a "freak" (or unattractive, gross, disgusting, whatever) without having a real conversation with me first, that's not the type of person I want to associate with. I've met some great people through body mods though.

I basically go by this.. "Think I'm disgusting? That's your problem, not mine." :D It's my body and I can do as I choose, regardless of what people think. I do it to make myself happy, not everyone else.

Anyways, if you want it done, go ahead and do it. Don't go by what others tell you. It's your body and your choice. If you get tired of it and took proper care of the piercing, it'll leave nothing more than a scar (you might not even have one if you do vitamin E massages to break down the scar tissue).

If you need to hide it, you can get it pierced with a quartz retainer. They're very hard to notice.

luckies4me
04-16-2005, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by GraciesMommy
Not offended but heartily dislike. My daughter in law to be has her tongue pierced and so does my step son and step daughter in law. I could tolerate them if they wouldn't constantly be clicking them or making ridiculous tongue movements (all 3 of them!)
The tiny diamond stud is ok in the nose..all the others just gross me out.
I have a belly ring and I do like that..and 2 holes in each ear, but that is as far as I go..

LOL, I know what you mean. I have my lip done and it's very addictive. I am always playing with it. :p

luckies4me
04-16-2005, 11:33 PM
I have a vertical lip done, and my ears gauged at 4. I LOVE it!!! :D I am going to shorten the bar on my lip ring though and put smaller balls on it for work. It will just make me feel a little safer. Since I work with animals I need to be careful. I had no trouble going back to work at the vet clinic even with piercings. Granted, I do live in Eugene, Oregon. ;)

I'd eventually like to get an industrial done on my ear, and a few surface piercings on the nape of my neck. :)

persianmom
04-17-2005, 02:26 AM
Offended, no but I think it would be hard for people to take you seriously espeially with Jason job.

Luvin Labs
04-17-2005, 11:50 AM
I don't mind facial piercings, but they can be overdone.

A simple nose piercing like you have looks cool (I personally wouldn't do it, but I've had my tongue pierced) and just might HELP your husbands job showing that they can be inclusive to diverse people.

As for clicking with the tongue ring, I used to do that a lot, then someone mentioned about wearing the enamel off of my teeth by playing with it like that so I stopped. Had that tongue ring for about two years till the novelty wore off.

sirrahved
04-17-2005, 01:38 PM
As for tongue piercings, even my piercer is not a fan of them. He says all they do is ruin peoples' teeth.