PDA

View Full Version : It's a VERY sad day in Wisconsin

moosmom
04-13-2005, 01:31 PM
I just saw on CNN that they've approved the open hunting season on stray and feral cats!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I cannot believe they would approve such an insane, OUTRAGEOUS law!!!

This is SO not fair!! Go after the f*&^ing owners of the cats!!! It's not the cat's fault!!!

I am so upset right now I'm crying! :(

Logan
04-13-2005, 01:47 PM
I hope the first crackpot who goes to shoot a feral or stray cat accidentally hits a kid!!!!

I can't agree with that, Donna, but I do agree that it is very sad day in Wisconsin. :(

lizbud
04-13-2005, 01:52 PM
Donna,

I don't think it's law yet. This proposal would have to pass in
the Legislature & then be signed by the Gov of Wisconsin. I don't
think it will happen. Check out ABC story here;

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=666801

aly
04-13-2005, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Logan
I can't agree with that, Donna, but I do agree that it is very sad day in Wisconsin. :(

Same here :(

I heard about it on the radio this morning and almost threw up. I understand it hasn't passed quite yet though. I pray it doesn't.

moosmom
04-13-2005, 02:15 PM
I'm sorry about the "kid" remark. I really didn't mean it. I'm just so furious that they would even consider something like this!!

I hope the legislature has more common sense to deny it. I mean, what's to stop cat haters from killing someone's pet that accidentally got out, then removing the collar??

aly
04-13-2005, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by moosmom
I'm sorry about the "kid" remark. I really didn't mean it. I'm just so furious that they would even consider something like this!!

I hope the legislature has more common sense to deny it. I mean, what's to stop cat haters from killing someone's pet that accidentally got out, then removing the collar??

Thats what I have been thinking! What if someone has indoor/outdoor cats? What if someone's cat was just missing for one day and killed. My God, even if it was missing for 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000 days and killed, its just sick.

OMG

"South Dakota and Minnesota both allow wild cats to be shot. "

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

robinh
04-13-2005, 02:36 PM
It just came up on Foxx News that the governor killed the bill!! Said he didn't think Wisconsin should be know as the cat killer state.

Logan
04-13-2005, 03:57 PM
Thank the LORD for that governor!!! I heard the same thing......he said he will veto it if it gets to him. Thank goodness!

moosmom
04-13-2005, 04:12 PM
Thank GOD that Governor has a good head on his shoulders!!

*sigh*

popcornbird
04-13-2005, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Logan

Ditto. Wow...Whether you meant that or not Donna, I'm amazed and shocked you even said something so horrible. Wow...:(

I'm SO glad to hear the governer killed the bill. Wonderful. 'sighs with relief'

LKPike
04-13-2005, 04:40 PM
I'm counting on there being good people, who will allow the cats to continue on their peaceful way instead of doing something idiotic. Still, theres always karma. And no one hides from Karma.

carole
04-13-2005, 04:56 PM
Oh my gosh I was horrified when I first read this, thank goodness it is NOT going to happen, I would be outraged too, this would have been just awful.

PCB I think Donna has already apologised for her comment, of course she did not mean it, she was just letting her emotions take over is all, lets just forgive and forget.

The main thing is this terrible bill will not be passed, I am ever so thankful guns are not available here like in the USA. and I hope that day never comes.

moosmom
04-13-2005, 05:14 PM
PCB I think Donna has already apologised for her comment, of course she did not mean it, she was just letting her emotions take over is all, lets just forgive and forget.

Thank you, Carole.

Pygmybabe
04-13-2005, 05:14 PM
I agree with you moosmom! I live in Beloit,Wisconsin, and I think it is stupid to kill a cat just because they are feral or stray! Most of our cats are stray!What would the whole state of Wisconsin be without stray or feral cats?

carole
04-13-2005, 05:17 PM
The cat shelter my daughter Melissa volunteers for started up after the local council in a small town decided to poison all the feral cats, they rescued as many as they could, hence their name the Humane Alternative group, they still trap ferals, have them altered and released, they become blocker cats, not allowing any more into their territory, it seems to be working, why can this not be done in Wisconsin, or has it already been tried?

Pygmybabe
04-13-2005, 05:20 PM
But I am glad the law was killed!!!

QueenScoopalot
04-13-2005, 09:07 PM
At least two other upper Midwestern states, South Dakota and Minnesota, allow wild cats to be shot -- and have for decades....
As Aly said. Why can't more energy be spent passing a mandatory spay/neuter bill country wide instead of this sickening proposal? :confused: I missed the evening news, but one woman (in Wisconsin) was stating her opinion, and was against the hunting of cats. At the same time, her farm was seething with cats and kittens! :rolleyes: :( She claimed they may kill a lot of songbirds, but were good mousers. (Good reproducers as well). :rolleyes:

moosmom
04-13-2005, 09:11 PM
They need to go after the irresponsible pet owners who dump their unwanted cats and kittens out in the wild to fend for themselves. I don't know why they just don't get it!!

Desert Arabian
04-13-2005, 10:08 PM
Now we just have to figure out a way to stop the illegal cat hunting that is going on! It is about time our governor did something bright and killed the bill- yay, first smart move he's made in a long time!

It's ok, at least you apologized! Seeing how they wouldn't be hunting the cats in highly populated areas where kids are running around, I highly doubt a kid would get injured

davidpizzica
04-16-2005, 05:15 PM
How's this for an excuse for huning defenseless cats! I was listening to he radio yesterday and they had a discussion about open season on cats in Wisconsin. this one guy came on and said "I'm all for it, because feral cats do their business in children's sandboxes"!?! It must make a man feel good to shoot a defenseless cat with this pitiful excuse! (trying not to throw up)

carole
04-17-2005, 04:43 AM
I am guessing David this MORON would find it too difficult to have a cover for his sandpit, bet he does not mind the kitties catching all the vermin around the place though..:mad:

moosmom
04-17-2005, 08:17 AM
Carole,

That's EXACTLY what I was thinking.

davidpizzica
04-17-2005, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by carole
I am guessing David this MORON would find it too difficult to have a cover for his sandpit, bet he does not mind the kitties catching all the vermin around the place though..:mad: Carole, my guess is that if he put a cover over it, it would spoil his fun of killing a defensless cat STUPID MORON!!!

Pygmybabe
04-18-2005, 06:48 AM
That is soooo sad and disgusting:( !

gini
04-18-2005, 12:24 PM
I just ordered something by phone from a company in Wisconsin.
After I placed my order, the woman and I began discussing this problem.

She said that it was in their local paper that four cats were found along the side of a road and all had been shot.

She said that she is getting a huge amount of grief from anyone that calls to place an order.

They don't want Wisconsin to become known as the cat killer state. We discussed the fact that if a domestic cat gets loose and it was shot there will be a huge uproar.

I asked why don't they implement the trap, neuter, release program and her response was "who is going to pay for that?"

Hmmm, how much does a gun cost? How much do bullets cost?
Why not donate the whole cost to a vet...........

She is from Ohio and has moved to Wisconsin and said hunting is huge there. I wouldn't do well in Wisconsin............believe me!

moosmom
04-18-2005, 02:22 PM
Gini,

I wouldn't do well in Wisconsin............believe me!

Me either! :mad:

Pygmybabe
04-18-2005, 04:04 PM
I am from Wisconsin! Wisconsin is not that bad though! Except for the laws everything else is fine.I have to go now because I have to eat and then work with my horse!(I eat a lot!)

carole
04-18-2005, 08:07 PM
If a small country like NZ can implement a trap, neuter,spay and release programme why on earth can wisconsin not afford it,? that is exactly what the shelter my daughter volunteers for does, they get sponsers from big companies, vets who do it cheaply and raise funds themselves, it is not government funded in anyway, sounds like a lame excuse to me folks.

Lady's Human
04-18-2005, 08:11 PM
NZ is a small, relatively (RELATIVELY) affluent country with a finite area, a small population and far fewer cats. In a place like Wisconsin, where farmers keep cats around and let them breed for rodent control it would be far more expensive.

carole
04-18-2005, 08:27 PM
Ok well all I know is we have more cats per head of population than most countries in the world, I still think they could give it a go myself.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-19-2005, 10:59 AM
I debated on telling this because I know either I'm going to get blasted or my dad is, but I decided I can take it because I know where I stand and where my dad stands on this, and it's really not about us anyway. So, here goes.

I grew up in Wisconsin, about 30 miles South of Green Bay. Wisconsin is big on hunting, fishing and other "outdoor recreation" type sports. My dad (who is 70 now) grew up in Wisconsin and has lived there his entire life. He grew up on a farm back in the 30's and 40's where killing animals for food was the norm. He used to go deer hunting every year and in the last few years has taken up turkey hunting, and has been an avid fisherman his entire life. Therefore he has many friends and aquaintances that are hunters and fisherman also. Since we were in the woods behind their house this weekend, and their "outside" cat was with us, the conversation soon turned to this bill and the killing of "feral" cats. He is totally against it because he knows no one is going to go up to the cat and see if it has a collar or tag on it, or see if it's friendly or not. He also mentioned that one of the guys he knows has already admitted that if he is out hunting and he sees a cat - he shoots it. He doesn't care if it has a collar or is someone's pet - he sees a cat he shoots it. And who is the wiser? No one. If the cat belonged to someone, all they know is that it didn't come home. If it was a feral cat, no one will ever know.

So my point in all this is that I'm sure this guy is not the only one doing this. The hunters are already doing this, and now all they are doing is trying to make it legal so they don't face any dire consequences in the event they should happen to get caught doing it - which is highly unlikely to happen anyway.

I have no use for hunters, but since I grew up in Wisconsin, and know the problems of an over population of deer, I am not opposed to hunting in general. Some of the tatics the so-called hunters use I am against, but that is another thread entirely. But to me it seems that some of these guys are just trigger happy and will shoot anything that moves - which makes me sick. Even if this bill dies and does not become law, these guys are still going to continue to shoot cats, they will just make sure they don't get caught doing it like they have been doing for years now.

moosmom
04-19-2005, 11:14 AM
Debbie,

I think you're right. I think it's been happening for years, it's just not talked about.

I also think there are alot of yahoos out there that will continue to be trigger happy regardless.

It's sad. :(:( I'm just glad I don't live in Wisconsin. If I did, my cats wouldn't see the outdoors unless they were attached to me via leash and harness.

jackie
04-21-2005, 08:40 AM
I am amazed every day by the cruelty of some people.