PDA

View Full Version : sick bunny?

jodi
04-12-2005, 04:34 PM
Ok here is the situation, My bunny has a runny eye so I started putting Terramycin in it. She was pregnant so I didn't use it very often in case it would hurt the babies. After the baby was born ,and being alone it got too cold and died, her night poops became runny, I thought it was just because of having a baby since the rest of the droppings were normal and she has been drinking good and eating good. After a week with no change in either her night droppings and her eye I took her to the vet who is supposed to know and work on bunnies. He felt her tummy and said that a baby was still in there(dead of course) and the runny eye was from an upper respritory infection. He said the infection had moved to her utterus and she wasn't able to push the baby out. He gave me Gentamicin drops for her eye and Panmycin as an orap med. She has cut back on the amount of water she was drinking and wont hardly eat her pellets she will eat the alfalfa like normal. Now here is the tricky part. She has been on the meds for 1 wk now and Today instead of the fluid running down from her eye being clear it is a milky white, also yesterday I forgot to give her the oral meds and today she had gone back to drinking the same amount of water as she used to. The lump is still in her stomach. It is a round ball that is hard, when I check the lump to see if there is any difference in it sometimes it is really low and sometimes it is up by her ribs. I would think that if it was a baby it would soft and mushy not hard and I would have seen signs of infection even before I took her to the vet.
Does anyone have any ideas?
Thank you,
jodi

jodi
04-15-2005, 12:42 PM
In case anyone is currious. i took her to a second vet who took an ex-ray and there are 3 babies in her. They are stumped that after 2 1/2 wks of just sitting their she isn't showing any signs of infection even with the med. They want to give her another wk just incase while she had one wk to go before birth somehow through the cage she got preg again. I didn't think a bun could get preg while in the last stages of pregnancy.

Daisylover
04-15-2005, 03:51 PM
Get her to a vet right away or you are going to have a dead rabbit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What are you waiting for????????

jodi
04-15-2005, 09:08 PM
Daisylover
She has been to 2 different rabbit savy vets. one put her on and atibiotic to see it would help her deliver the other took her off the meds to see if it was hiding any infiction she wants to see if she will deliver them because she thinks she got preg while she was already preg because the buck was in the cage next to her and the timeline works. So I don't need you to yell at me. I was just hoping someone else had some other advice!!! from your message apparently you didn't notice or read all of it. because I said SHE HAD BEEN TO A VET and my second message I said I had taken her to ANOTHER VET FOR A SECOND OPINION.

jodi
04-17-2005, 04:49 PM
Well I palpated her again today and believe it or not but one of the babies moved on me. Mom is doing fine, full of spunk and all. I guess they can get preg while in the last week of pregnancy. I now know to be more careful of where I cage my buck if I don't want a suprise pregnancy.

jackie
04-22-2005, 04:51 PM
I hope your bunny feels better soon, I wish I had some advice for you.

jodi
04-22-2005, 04:56 PM
Thanks Jackie,
She's doing great! Right now it is just a waiting game. However if she doesn't deliver in the next couple of days I will be taking her back to the vet for more ex-rays and possibly surgery.

jackie
04-26-2005, 04:56 PM
bunny update pls?

jodi
04-26-2005, 05:19 PM
Well Jackie, I was going to take her to the vet and she started taking more interests in the nestbox. Infact she follows it out the door when I take it to check. Because of this I am waiting untill Wednesday, She is eating good and drinking good.
Thanks for the concern.
jodi