PDA

View Full Version : Armey Town Struggles to Save Abandoned Pets

Craftlady
04-12-2005, 08:37 AM
I posted this in cats and dogs sections. Hoping those who live in or near the area can help. This is so sad.

Army Town Struggles to Save Abandoned Pets
Tuesday, April 12, 2005 7:25 AM EDT
The Associated Press
By RUSS BYNUM

The 32 dogs look up with sad eyes or wag their tails as animal control officer Linda Cordry walks the row of chain-link cages toward a door concealing a gas chamber.

"These guys are mine," Cordry says with weary resignation. "These are basically on Death Row."

Liberty County Animal Control and the humane shelter that shares its small cinderblock building have been crammed to capacity with dogs and cats since Army troops from neighboring Fort Stewart deployed to Iraq. Both agencies say it's no coincidence.

"I would say 95 percent of these animals come from military homes," says Beate Hall, who runs the humane shelter where dozens of soldiers and Army spouses began dumping pets during the holidays.

The wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have prompted national efforts to alert deploying soldiers to alternatives to abandoning animals when they leave for war. But the hundreds of unwanted pets turning up in this southeast Georgia military town indicate many aren't getting the message.

Since the Fort Stewart-based 3rd Infantry Division deployed 19,000 troops to Iraq in January, animal control officers took in 321 abandoned dogs and cats. Of those, 119 have been euthanized.

Smells of dank fur, urine and bleach linger inside the Animal Control offices, where donated food in dented cans and torn bags are stacked in a corner. Dogs are doubled up in several of the 4-by-10-feet cages. Two of the 14 cat cages hold mothers with litters of nursing kittens.

Cordry says she's found an abundance of dogs in military neighborhoods _ from emaciated dogs in back yards of vacated homes to puppies left in Dumpsters.

Many of the abandoned pets are wearing collars, but with their tags removed. Animals with collars get up to 10 days before they're euthanized. Those without collars are spared for only three.

"We get in so many with personalities, we know they had to belong to somebody," Cordry says. "It's hard to say, `Today's euthanasia day _ let's load them up and go for it.'"

In Hall's case, soldiers and their families have come to the humane shelter in person to leave their dogs and cats. In some cases, single soldiers leave their pets because they have no one to keep them at home. Many animals are given up by spouses planning to stay with family while their soldiers are deployed.

Those pets won't be put down, but Hall only has room to keep 45 animals at a time. Though Hall has found homes for 118 pets since January, the shelter remains full.

"We didn't realize how bad it was going to be," says Hall, whose husband is retired from the Army. "I didn't think this many military families would just dispose of their animals because of the deployment."

Animal rescue groups say they've put a serious dent in wartime pet dumping, largely by using the Internet to find foster homes to care for soldiers' animals until they return home.

Steve Albin, president of the nonprofit NetPets, says he's found temporary homes for 8,000 military pets nationwide since starting his Military Pets Foster Program after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

"Even though this is available, there's still the 5 percent of the military, they say, `Nah, we'll get another pet when we get back,'" says Albin, a retired dog breeder in North Myrtle Beach, S.C.

In the Fort Stewart area, a small number of pet lovers have stepped up to foster dogs and cats that otherwise would have been euthanized by animal control.

Terry Wolf of nearby Savannah has taken in 85 abandoned dogs from Liberty County since January through her shelter, Southern Comfort Animal Rescue. She's found permanent homes for about 40, and foster homes for 25.

Wolf says she's looking for people who truly want a pet, rather than those seeking to make a patriotic gesture.

"I had one lady, she was very interested in a dog, say to me, `I want a soldier's dog.' And that made me question her commitment," Wolf says. "We're not putting yellow ribbons around their necks here. They're all dogs of war to me."

___

On the Net:

Liberty Humane Shelter: www.petfinder.org/shelters/GA21.html

Southern Comfort Animal Rescue: www.southerncomfort.petfinder.com

Military Pets Foster Project: www.netpets.org/militarypet/foster.php

Laura's Babies
04-12-2005, 12:06 PM
Man, this is awful. I hope this reaches some who can help!

moosmom
04-12-2005, 12:31 PM
This angers me to NO end!! I rescued a declawed cat from an Naval Sub Base in Connecticut a few years back. Some military family up and moved, putting their defenseless cat out to fend for itself.

I took her in and was able to find her a home. She was a beautiful calico with such a sweet personality. We located the family through military records and filed charges against them. Don't know what happened after that.

I flatly refuse to adopt out to military families living in military housing as well as college students, for that very reason.

What REALLY pisses me off are the military bases that are over run by feral cats and stray dogs. Rather than address the problem caused by THEIR members, they decide they're going to take matters into their own hands and trap and euthanize them. UGH!!! :mad: :mad:

:mad: :mad:

sarifish
04-12-2005, 12:50 PM
i dont think anyone should allow military families to own pets it should be illegal unless they are stationed in one place for life like my neighbors he has no fear of getting sent off bc of his duties and they have the sweetest dog and there the only type of ppl that need to be given the oppertunity to have pets

catmandu
04-12-2005, 01:52 PM
That is such a sad Story,as all these Poor Animals want,is to be loved.And a lot,of Pet Talkers do,what we can,to help,but there are so many people,that want,the Right,to own,a Companion Pet,but not the responsibilty,of being a Real Pet Guardian.What ever did happen,to Personal Responsibilty,any way!