PDA

View Full Version : Help please...good food???

MariaM
04-11-2005, 08:05 PM
Is this good food or is there something I'm missing? It looks good but I don't know alot about dog food....

Its canned food and it's called "Lean Cuts".
It sais on the front "No by-products or rendered meats"

Ingredients:
Fresh ground lean red beef roast and steak meat, fresh beef liver and kidney, carrots, vegetable gums, onion powder, calcium, vitamin and mineral supplements, sodium nitrite and water sufficient for processing.

"No cereals, grains, starches, artificial colour of salt added"

Guaranteed Analysis

Moisture 84.5%
Protein 10.4%
Fiber 0.2%
Ash 0.9%
Fat 6.3%

It's in a 400 g (14 oz.) can.

joycenalex
04-11-2005, 08:51 PM
the no cereal, no grains is good, and the first listed items are natural products., thats' good. does your dog like it?

wolfsoul
04-11-2005, 09:21 PM
I wouldn't use it as a base diet, but it seems like a good occasional addition to regular food.

Vette
04-11-2005, 09:52 PM
Onions are posinus to dogs. :eek:

but in powder form its probably harmless.
ive seen canned dog and cat food with garlic powder in it too.

micki76
04-11-2005, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by wolfsoul
I wouldn't use it as a base diet, but it seems like a good occasional addition to regular food.

I agree. I prefer a good, quality kibble for everyday food. It's much better on their teeth. Millie was fed canned food before we got her. Our vet was convinced she was 7 or 8, until we showed him her vet records the former owners gave the shelter when they surrendered her. We had her teeth cleaned a few months later, and they're still bright white! :)

wolfsoul
04-12-2005, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by Vette
Onions are posinus to dogs. :eek:

but in powder form its probably harmless.
ive seen canned dog and cat food with garlic powder in it too.
Yup, in powder form it is harmless. :) Most canned dog food has onion powder in it.

mruffruff
04-12-2005, 07:28 AM
It sounds like a good addition to kibble. I prefer a high quality dry food, but end up putting 'incentives' in it anyway. (Guess who's in charge at my house!)

Mary

MariaM
04-12-2005, 08:42 AM
Ok, thank you. I was just wondering because I thought it was fairly cheap (but I wasn't sure...I've never bought canned food before and don't look at it too often because the ingredients are usually bad.) One can was 1.29, but if you bought the 24 pack it was $20.00. (Canadian haha)

We can't afford a high quality kibble, and this looked better than what we were feeding Major right now, ingredients-wise. Right now we're feeding him "Purine ONE Large Breed Adult Formula".

I always thought kibble would be better but I was just curious. So...do you think if I add it to his food, it would help? Or not every day...

One time Major was at the vets for a bit after his shots, and they fed him some of their own food. He had diarreah the next morning....

so what I'm trying to say is, if I add a bit of this stuff every day, will it just become part of his normal diet? Like...he won't get an upset stomach or anything?

Glacier
04-12-2005, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by MariaM

so what I'm trying to say is, if I add a bit of this stuff every day, will it just become part of his normal diet? Like...he won't get an upset stomach or anything?

That's exactly what will happen. Be sure to reduce his kibble by the amount of canned food you add. Otherwise he will gain weight.

I've fed this stuff to my dogs. The dogs that eat inside get canned food added to their kibble on the nights the other dogs get meat.

Purina One actually is a decent kibble! Don't beat yourself up for feeding him that! Major is obviously doing well on it!

cali
04-12-2005, 10:09 AM
I agree, purina one is basicly the premium grocery store carried brand. its what I fed before switching to Raw. :) and that canned stuff sounds fabulous by the way :)

senorita02
04-12-2005, 10:10 AM
Onions are poisonus to dogs? You mean like if they ate a real onion ??
Rita has stolen onions before, ( when i am not around ) off the plate.

Glacier
04-12-2005, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by senorita02
Onions are poisonus to dogs? You mean like if they ate a real onion ??
Rita has stolen onions before, ( when i am not around ) off the plate.

Yes, they are, but she would have to eat a large amount of them for it to be toxic. Stealing one off your plate isn't likely to hurt her.

sammy101
04-12-2005, 06:20 PM
both mine get canned food added to their kibble.Theyre both farely active.they love it!!:)
He shouldnt get a upset stomach.He should be fine.I would try just one can,and make sure he doesnt get the runs from it.It will most likely becoming a part of his daily diet.Once you start them on it,you cant stop.thats what i have experienced.

wolfsoul
04-12-2005, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by Glacier
Yes, they are, but she would have to eat a large amount of them for it to be toxic. Stealing one off your plate isn't likely to hurt her.
It doesn't have to be a large amount -- even a small amount of uncooked onions can cause anemia or upset stomach.

Vette
04-13-2005, 04:17 AM
Yep onions are posinus to dogs.

when Kirby got bad sick,, the first thing the vet asked me was if i had given him onions or if i had any onions growing on my property. he asked me that more the once.

they say grapes are posinus to dogs too.
my friend has been giving her Boston Terrier grapes for years.

Kirbys has had a few and never got sick from them either.
depends on how much your dog eats i guesss.