PDA

View Full Version : We just had an earthquake

Sirrahsim
04-11-2005, 01:40 AM
It's funny, before I moved to Japan, I was more than a little nervous about moving to an island along the "ring of fire". I'm from Ohio where the scariest natural disasters are tornadoes. Now that I'm here and feel earthquakes every week or so, it's no big deal at all:rolleyes: We just felt one a minute ago that knocked part of my Roo (from Winnie the Pooh) collection over, but I just sat here and kept surfing PT:D :D :D
I just think it's funny that what I was so nervous about before is SO commonplace now.
I also think it's funny that I can see a volcano out my window that is prefectly capable of erupting at any time, yet I'm not the least bit nervous about it.:D :D

Do any of you have natural occurances that strike fear into the hearts of some, but don't even make you nervous??

Maya & Inka's mommy
04-11-2005, 04:59 AM
Noooooooooooo, and I want to keep it this way :eek: ;)

OMG, you felt an earthquake, and you just keep on surfing???:eek:
Wow, I would be fetching my cats and run out on the street, screaming like crazy :o .... . Well, little Tyler will be used to "lots of shaking" he he ;)

Sirrahsim
04-11-2005, 05:45 AM
lol :)
Most of the quakes are quite gentle and we barely notice them. I bet my Roo's wouldn't have even fallen over if Boomer hadn't been messing around with them earlier and moved them closer to the edge of the shelf. Some earthquakes are so gentle that feeling sick to my stomach is my only signal that we're having one:rolleyes: :D :D

catnapper
04-11-2005, 08:16 AM
No natural disasters on a regular basis. We apparently get small earthquakes but I never feel them. Pennsylvania is supposedly on a major fault line to rival the San Andreas Fault, but its not active right now (and hopefully will never be active! :eek: )

PJ's Mom
04-11-2005, 08:25 AM
We've lived in tornado alley for awhile now, so we get a few tornadoes here and there. They don't bother me anymore. :)

sirrahved
04-11-2005, 09:18 AM
Reminds me of spending the night at Deb & Dennis' house one night. We all woke up to tornado sirens... and then everyone (besides me, who was up terrified for the rest of the night) promptly fell back asleep. Mind you, the sirens are still going off, and we had to retrieve lawn furniture and the trash can the next morning from locations that they definitely weren't in the night before.

I spent that whole night thinking, "how can they not think that this is a big deal? Shouldn't we be huddling in the bathroom or something?"

PJ's Mom
04-11-2005, 10:24 AM
After awhile, you get used to it. That's not to say we don't watch the weather, or keep an eye to the sky, but you come to learn when to worry and when to go back to sleep. ;)

LeahMM
04-11-2005, 10:37 AM
We do have earthquakes and the one that hit back in 2001 scared the crap out of me. We also live in the shadows of Mt. Rainier and Mt St Helens which is an active volcano at this time.

Laura's Babies
04-11-2005, 10:44 AM
When I first moved to the south, I took every tornado warning as if it were headed right to me and I would be completely horrified but over the years I have calmed down but I am still VERY afraid of them.. We are expecting bad weather today and possiable tornado warnings.......and I had planned to go get new plants to put in my flower bed today.......

nibblets
04-11-2005, 11:31 AM
I've lived in the midwest all my life and I can't say I have ever really gotten used to them. When that siren goes off my heart starts beating just a little faster. Scarey stuff those twisters...however I have seen more havoc wreaked by ice storms around here than tornadoes. I could do without them.

sirrahbed
04-11-2005, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by sirrahved
Reminds me of spending the night at Deb & Dennis' house one night. We all woke up to tornado sirens... and then everyone (besides me, who was up terrified for the rest of the night) promptly fell back asleep.

:eek: Oh!! Sorry you had a scary night!! We lived in west Texas (San Angelo) and tornado sirens went off almost every day in the spring. Like Christa said - my heart alway beat a bit faster, but after awhile I only took precautions if the sky turned black and things started flying around. There were a few times I DID huddle in the bathroom tub with pillows!!

Here in Ohio - there has only been one really serious tornado in our 14+years. So, we don't get too excited at the sirens unless they go off at intervals, etc. There are various tones and the one you heard was probably just the first one.:) We hear that and shrug or go back to sleep.

:eek: I would probably FREAK if there was an earthquake!!:eek:

mina'smomma
04-11-2005, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by sirrahved
Reminds me of spending the night at Deb & Dennis' house one night. We all woke up to tornado sirens... and then everyone (besides me, who was up terrified for the rest of the night) promptly fell back asleep. Mind you, the sirens are still going off, and we had to retrieve lawn furniture and the trash can the next morning from locations that they definitely weren't in the night before.

I spent that whole night thinking, "how can they not think that this is a big deal? Shouldn't we be huddling in the bathroom or something?"

I hear you there Dev. We don't see that many tornados up in Michigan. When I visited my sister in KS they did the same thing.

christa
04-11-2005, 05:35 PM
Only natural disasters we have here are tornados & floods. They say that KY is on a fault line, but we've only experienced tiny tremors.

I am absolutely scared sensless when it comes to tornados!!! OMG . . . I hear the word and freak!

Last summer, my husband was working nights & I was home alone with Josie . . . there were tornados touching down all around the city I was in . . .

I actually pulled a futon mattress into the bathroom & locked me and Josie in for hours with a flashlight & radio . . . I was a wreck! Thankfully there was no damage to our townhouse or us. :)

Chica
04-11-2005, 07:20 PM
WE LIVE IN CALIFORNIA. I WAS RIGHT THERE FOR THE NORTHRIDGE QUAKE, STILL SLEEPING IN BED AT 4:30 AM WHEN IT HIT. IT LASTED A COUPLE MINUTES ONLY. BUT THE QUAKE TOSSED EVERYTHING AROUND IN THE HOUSE. THINGS BROKE, EVERYTHING FELL TO THE GROUND IN THE KITCHEN, WHAT A MESS! BUT WE CAN SURVIVE AN EARTHQUAKE. AND THEY DON'T SCARE ME. :D YOU JUST HAVE A BIG MESS TO CLEAN UP. YOU HAVE TO BUY NEW STUFF TO REPLACE THE DAMAGED ONES. OH WELL!!!! IT WAS A 6.9 QUAKE. :rolleyes:

Kevin Farmer
04-11-2005, 07:43 PM
Tornados. We had one a couple hours ago hit a few miles from the house...

persianmom
04-12-2005, 08:17 AM
I can remember when Christine was about 2 I was on the second floor in an apartment building with my Dad and Sierns started to go off. My Dad and me stood in front of a big glass picture window and watched the tornado go by. All the awhile he is telling me go to the basement and take Christine. After it pas you looked at me and said don't you know how to listen you could of got hurt or killed and Christine would of also. I looked at him an said you should of went to then I would of went. Wheln I look back on it boy was I dump or what but it was neat to watch.

davidpizzica
04-12-2005, 01:51 PM
Pittsburgh is prone to flooding. Because three major rivers run through downtown Pittsburgh, we get flooding after a heavy snow melt and when it rains heavily.