PDA

View Full Version : Right, wrong, or no big deal....

Cataholic
04-10-2005, 07:48 AM
Yesterday morning I received a call from my neighbor, about her dog. He is a chow mix, very friendly, and not a big barker. She wanted me to know she was going to be gone from home from 12 noon Saturday to 12 noon Sunday (today), and that her dog would be outside the whole time. She wanted me to know so I wouldn't worry, and if the doggie started to bark (which it did a few weeks ago for an hour or two, which was unusual) that I could bring him inside. I told her I was glad she told me, as I would have worried, as he isn't an 'outside' dog.

I did express my concerns about dog nappers, and that it was still going to drop to 45, and would the dog be used to that temp, since he was an inside dog, normally. She didn't think it was any big deal. I do.

What do you doggie folks think?

Kfamr
04-10-2005, 07:55 AM
I personally would NEVER leave my dogs outside while I was gone, not even for a long time while I was home, so to me.. it's wrong.

She could do what my neighbor does with her dog Gunner. When she plans on being at work late, she asks me to come over and let Gunner out, walk her and what not.

honor_fl
04-10-2005, 07:56 AM
I think it shows a real lack of responsibility to leave a dog outside, alone for 24 hours, especially when its an inside dog. I'm continually amazed at people who treat their animals this way. Hopefully the dog will be fine.

chocolatepuppy
04-10-2005, 07:59 AM
I would never leave mine outside when I'm not home, at least not in my situation, I know some others do. As for leaving an inside dog out in 45 degrees, I don't think that is right, the dog is not used to that.
I do give your neighbor credit for at least letting you know what's going on and I'm glad you at least tried talk some sense into her.

Cataholic
04-10-2005, 08:00 AM
I did look at the doggie this am, and he is fine.

Kay, I offered that. I told her I would be happy to let the dog in before I went to bed, and out when I woke up. I have offered that before, and she has taken me up on it. I just worried that he could get hurt, bored and become destructive or afraid- both which could lead to diaster. I even tried to say, "well, if I watch him, Jonah will have a doggie for a day!". Nah. (I can't let the dog into my house, as it has a particular **affection** for the herd).

Cincy'sMom
04-10-2005, 09:09 AM
The closest I have ever coming to leaving the dogs outside when I was not home, was when Cincy was a little under a year old. I had taken the girls for a walk, and Cincy just would not stop pulling. As a "punishment" I put her in the back yard, and continued to walk Sadie. We never left out street, and still I was worried the whole time she would try to get out of the yard, or someone would let her out....so short story long, yes, I think it is a big deal!!

I wouldn't be so concerned about the temp, as the other things mention...if had gotten bored or scared, or even if something nthe other side of the fence peaked his interest, he could have escaped, or got hurt trying. And you just never know what neighbors may do if a dog is barking all night....BB guns, poison...i just don't trust the unknown with my dogs.

Glad to hear he seemed to do okay last night. I hope next time she will take you up on your offer of letting him in and out!

KYS
04-10-2005, 09:28 AM
Alone for 24 hours is not acceptable in my opinion.

I think that is great that you are going to check in our
her dog and "let him in at night"?

(now my gates are always locked, my dogs are large
and I doubt they would allow someone to steal them.)

When I go on short vacations, my Aunt checks in on my dogs
3 times a day. (she feeds them breakfast and dinner
and lets them inside the house for bedtime and I still
worry about them. )

4 Dog Mother
04-10-2005, 09:51 AM
I think it is a big deal too. I would never leave my dogs outside even to run to the store. As Amy said, there are just too many things that could happen. And I wouldn't consider it fair to the neighbors if the dog would start barking or whining in the middle of the night because it was not used to being outside.

gini
04-10-2005, 09:52 AM
I think if it was my dog, that I would be a wreck worrying about it the whole time I was gone.

So I would be thrilled if you offered to come and let my dog in and out of the house and I would take you up on it.

I have this arrangement with my neighbor. I feed her dogs in the morning and then let them out in the yard for the day.........checking on them from time to time. Then I let them in the house in the evening and give them their treats.

senorita02
04-10-2005, 10:11 AM
Not in a million years would i leave my dogs outside and leave the house, there are so many things that could happen, not to mention it is just plain irresponsible, and there are plenty of people out there who go around stealing dogs out of yards, im not sure why but there are.

But, thats just me. I see dogs outside all the time, all day long .

dukedogsmom
04-10-2005, 10:51 AM
Sounds very irresponsible and uncaring to me. I wouldn't leave Duke alone while even at work, much less being out of town. Doesn't sound like she loves the dog, to me.

Bigyummydog
04-10-2005, 02:02 PM
WRONG........UNACCEPTABLE.........VETOED.......... um, what else?

MAXIMUS has never stayed alone over night, and certainly, not outside all night...can you say 'dog sitter'

Suki Wingy
04-10-2005, 02:20 PM
I have heard of dog nappers stealing dogs who have been left out. I see he's probably inside now, but when Our old neighbor had to be in the hospital for a few days he left his partially outside rottie Maddie outside and asked us to play with her, feed her, let our dog in to play with her, etc. It was summer, though, and she had a dog house to protect her from the heat. We practically co-owned her, and so this was ok. Also, she barked pretty loudly at anyone she didn't know, so the dog napping wasn't really an issue.:)

cocker_luva
04-10-2005, 04:44 PM
i think you should just keep him inside your house for the day.

LauraT7
04-10-2005, 07:11 PM
I also don't like the idea of a 'house dog' being left alone outside for 24 hrs.

I do go away and leave my dog(s) and cat alone - sometimes overnight. but I also have a dog door that opens to a fenced run, which in turn opens to a fenced yard. All the yards in our neighborhood are fenced, most neighbors have good sized dogs, and we all kind of 'look out' for each other's animals. I am lucky to have some pretty nice neighbors. Only one dog ( a Beagle) barks at everything for no reason - so if the others are barking, we all stick out our heads to see whats up?

my mom comes over and feeds them at least twice a day, and often hangs out here with them, and give them attention. Since mom is 81 and can't 'walk' Fizz (she needs more excercise than Tristan the royal couch potato did - LOL!) I also have one of my friends or my son's friends come over and take her for her long walk and ball chase at the playground/ school each full day we are gone. both the Cat and the dog use the dog door - and the cat can get thru the bottom of the gate of the dog run when it's closed. Mom closes the dog run at night, and opens it again in the morning. that way Fizz can only get out into the whole yard during daylight hours. (which probably isn't necessary - as Fizz never leaves the house at night when we're home, so I doubt she goes out when we're not.

I have often told friends and neighbors that I would be happy to watch their animals - either at my house or theirs, while I am gone.

Chow's have really thick, furry, warm coats - and the one next door to us - though he is an inside dog - loves to stay outside when it's cold. he's very well insulated. In the case of your neighbor - I'd just keep an eye on the dog, and check him before you go to bed at night. if he seems ok, and has a shelter - he's probably fine. if it drops and gets cold, or there is rain or storms - you can bring him in.

laura

slleipnir
04-10-2005, 07:48 PM
I would NEVER ever leave my dogs outside like that. I'm way to paranoid, and plus, they would bark a lot and wouldn't like it. If I had to go away without them, I'd get someone to care for them, or if needed, I'd rather leave them at a good kennel then outside...

pitc9
04-11-2005, 09:57 AM
WRONG!
Since the dog is used to being inside all the time, she may be afraid to stay outside that long!
I don't think 45 degrees is anything to worry about to tell you the truth.

My brother in law leaves his GSD outside in his fenced in yard in good weather when he's at work. Sage is a beautiful GSD, and I'm sure some freak would not think twice about nabbing her. He says "Oh she'll never let anyone get in the yard"
:mad: :mad: Some people are just don't get it!

(I want to sneak over there one day and steal her just to teach him a lesson!! ;) :p